Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   General Foo Discussion (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Barrett Jones shares SH outtake with Dave's unheard solo version of 'Gods Look Down' (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=170627)

Simon January 26th 2017 11:42 AM

Barrett Jones shares SH outtake with Dave's unheard solo version of 'Gods Look Down'

A few years ago Barrett Jones mentioned in an interview that Dave had written and recorded his own one man band version of the Scream song 'Gods Look Down' before the band recorded it, well today Barrett has shared an outtake from Sonic Highways where they play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qzljlUVvfI

The date on the reel seems to be for Barrett's later stuff though,pretty sure this was recorded in 1988, before the Scream version in 1989.

So yeah, this is Dave's first ever recording of his own song, at age 19.

Emily January 26th 2017 12:49 PM

Re: Barrett Jones shares SH outtake with Dave's unheard solo version of 'Gods Look Do

awesome!!!!

wicked_gravity January 26th 2017 01:24 PM

Re: Barrett Jones shares SH outtake with Dave's unheard solo version of 'Gods Look Do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily (Post 4141930)
awesome!!!!

Ditto! ... Hope is sounds good, unfortunately i am a few hours away from being able to watch/listen, but great news nonetheless.

Foo3001 January 26th 2017 01:57 PM

Aaahhh, studio clips.. Love these from any era.

Simon January 26th 2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicked_gravity (Post 4141934)
Ditto! ... Hope is sounds good, unfortunately i am a few hours away from being able to watch/listen, but great news nonetheless.

Depends, it's not the whole song being played, Dave is playing with the tracks throughout muting them on and off but it's interesting to hear those individual tracks,noticing that he'd already started doubling his vocals at this point.

Tarquin January 26th 2017 03:37 PM

Ah, 8-track reel to reel recording those were the days... The first record I ever recorded was on 8 track 1/2" tape, probably the same year. Track 7 didn't work, so it was a 7 track recording... I got four dedicated mics and we bounced tracks to make it all fit. One song was done with no bass guitar feed and no click, drums only.

That was way back before the war, good times! :D

Thanks for posting this up for the memories. ;)

ElScottcho January 26th 2017 04:57 PM

The acoustic flourishes really make this version. I don't know if it's better than the Scream version but it's definitely on par.

Curtis January 27th 2017 03:03 AM

So cool. I love hearing the early stuff I hope Barrett keeps sharing

FooZealand January 29th 2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4141946)
Depends, it's not the whole song being played, Dave is playing with the tracks throughout muting them on and off but it's interesting to hear those individual tracks,noticing that he'd already started doubling his vocals at this point.

Released now but from the SH session trawl - so it's not a new "session" with Barret - it's the same time as here, which were Outtakes from the Sonic Highways interview released in April 2016, and obv recorded even earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZY4UBRebY

It's stunning to hear - more stunning to hear how awesome it sounds (Barrett's reels seem to be impenetrable to time). My question now is why now? Is this just slow release of something that can only be done (or teased) once, or is this a precursor to something coming - because the 2014 SH sessions that started it all lead to the 2015 4 track SFTLR EP.

2015 being the 20th for FF.
2017 being the 20th for TCATS.

And going waaay back to the very start doesn't actually make that much sense to put out a 2nd LR release - unless it was actually a more comprehensive one around the actual band being a "band" for a second album after the "Dave solo" eponymous release, from the very start of everything to TCATS.

So I'm likely as usual reading too much into it of course.

Simon January 29th 2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4142258)
Released now but from the SH session trawl - so it's not a new "session" with Barret - it's the same time as here, which were Outtakes from the Sonic Highways interview released in April 2016, and obv recorded even earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZY4UBRebY

It's stunning to hear - more stunning to hear how awesome it sounds (Barrett's reels seem to be impenetrable to time). My question now is why now? Is this just slow release of something that can only be done (or teased) once, or is this a precursor to something coming - because the 2014 SH sessions that started it all lead to the 2015 4 track SFTLR EP.

2015 being the 20th for FF.
2017 being the 20th for TCATS.

And going waaay back to the very start doesn't actually make that much sense to put out a 2nd LR release - unless it was actually a more comprehensive one around the actual band being a "band" for a second album after the "Dave solo" eponymous release, from the very start of everything to TCATS.

So I'm likely as usual reading too much into it of course.

I don't know why now exactly but when I briefly spoke to Barrett about a year ago he told me they had just got back all of the Sonic Highways footage and were planning to go through it all, see how much they shot that wasn't on the official release. It could be that they've now just had the time to go through it and get clearance to upload some of it.

I rather hope it is also a precursor to more Laundry Room releases though!

FooZealand January 30th 2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4142267)
I don't know why now exactly but when I briefly spoke to Barrett about a year ago he told me they had just got back all of the Sonic Highways footage and were planning to go through it all, see how much they shot that wasn't on the official release. It could be that they've now just had the time to go through it and get clearance to upload some of it.

I rather hope it is also a precursor to more Laundry Room releases though!

I hope so too. It can only be done (first) once of course, not like we care either way, but it's definitely interesting that now in 17 he would post a "bit" of the video of the first song reveal. All the clearance stuff you mention noted of course, it makes it either oh I can throw this out coz it's cool, or hehe wait for it... (something poss planned).

Either way I died laughing with both Dave's "I sound like a girl" and Barrett ever so apologetic at having both not named the reel as "Dave", and bundling it in with other "personal" time-capsule-esque nostalgia... "Is that me?- NO it's not " hehe so funny.

I'm sitting going "you kept it!" - if it was on a bad 4tn gen Normal Pos C30 you'd still be a fucking legend :lol:

To know how good it sounds and that it at least has some approved release clearance now can only be a good sign - we just sit and wait :thumbsup:

E. Stacked Actor January 31st 2017 06:28 PM

Maybe the next album will be a call-back to Dave's roots.

If the band was ever going to do such an album, now's the time. They aren't getting any younger.

pjonze February 4th 2017 06:38 AM

Barrett just posted a short Jerky Boys mash-up and Floaty:

https://youtu.be/8oiWjSUWno8

Foo3001 February 4th 2017 07:19 AM

When was this recorded?

Love the last seconds where A+ET is just starting -

I'm starting to think the S/T album wasnt so spontaneus after all. Not that it makes any difference.

EDIT : should have read the video's description.. :)

no code February 8th 2017 12:03 PM

I friggin' love this.

The whole vibe between Barret and Dave is so cool.

Dave should really take some time to put together a box worth of vault stuff.

Dave is obviously someone who rather looks forward than back (in terms of his own music), and I totally respect that, but man there's so many cool songs out there still to be heard.

wicked_gravity February 8th 2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no code (Post 4143282)
Dave should really take some time to put together a box worth of vault stuff...

That would be amazing! The laundry room EP release was a start!

no code February 9th 2017 08:58 AM

Also, I have such fond memories of that first album and the period surrounding it. It is still my favorite Foo album, and I loved the live shows from back then.

Getting to hear those Laundry Room sessions was a real treat.

Simon February 9th 2017 05:19 PM

Barrett has said he wants them all to be released eventually, so keep your fingers crossed!

ElScottcho February 10th 2017 09:15 PM

I wish there would've been a 20th anniversary rerelease of the first album with all the Laundry Room demos in top notch quality, as well as Butterflies.

Tim February 11th 2017 10:11 AM

I think Barrett just wanted to let a cool clip get out..