Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   Tour Talk (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   too loud? (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=172541)

denck July 18th 2018 04:48 PM

too loud?

Hi - I was at MSG last nite - I love the Foo Fighters, was like my 5th time seeing them but wow it was really too too loud. Loudest I think they ever played. Im guessing 120 decibles. A lot of kids are gonna wind up with hearing loss or tinnitus which I got from listening to loud music - no cure for that - wear earplugs!

Jill July 20th 2018 10:23 PM

Re: too loud?

You are preaching to the choir! We talk a lot about earplugs on here. Definitely a must for a Foo show!

Daxter July 22nd 2018 12:21 AM

MSG was by far the loudest concert Iíve ever been to.

Might have been partly influenced my seat being more or less directly in front of one of the side set of speakers. But Iíve sat in similar positions in other places and not felt it half as much.

After leaving the arena walking to my hotel around the corner and going up in the fast lift to my hotel room on the 30th floor my poor ears and sense of balance were shot.

Will have to remember to take some earplugs next time!

trevgreg July 23rd 2018 11:26 AM

I suppose speaker placement with where you're standing would matter the most. The Foos are loud, but definitely not the loudest I've been to. Metallica had me literally covering my ears at times, and I wasn't even remotely close to a speaker there!

denck August 1st 2018 07:01 PM

I was on the floor and had ear plugs and still too too loud and my friend was up in mezz and his ear plugs wernt strong enough either. Believe me this show was way way louder than it needed to be.

MsLibrarian August 2nd 2018 12:04 AM

I was in section 116 for the first show and ya, I found it loud. I brought earplugs for the 2nd show and couldn't wear them. I found it so muffled :( Luckily I found it less loud in 109 despite being close to the stage.

Boiler00Hex August 2nd 2018 12:05 AM

I was in the pavilion and didn't think the Indy show was too loud. Could help that it was outside. I thought the Struts were too loud.

Jon84 August 2nd 2018 10:59 AM

Is there no health an safety limit in the US?

In the UK its the law to provide Ear Protection for workers if above 85DB, however there are only guidelines for Audience Members: http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/noise.htm

In short, no part of the audience should be exposed to over 106dbA, and be kept away from speaker stacks by at least 3m.

Alot of small venues have power sources to the stage that cut the Amp Power if the limit is exceeded.

Most larger bands will be monitoring levels of the audience throughout the performance.

In general in the UK I've noticed gigs and other events like the cinema are quieter than they used to be!

Jill August 7th 2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon84 (Post 4197993)
Is there no health an safety limit in the US?

In the UK its the law to provide Ear Protection for workers if above 85DB, however there are only guidelines for Audience Members: http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/noise.htm

In short, no part of the audience should be exposed to over 106dbA, and be kept away from speaker stacks by at least 3m.

Alot of small venues have power sources to the stage that cut the Amp Power if the limit is exceeded.

Most larger bands will be monitoring levels of the audience throughout the performance.

In general in the UK I've noticed gigs and other events like the cinema are quieter than they used to be!

The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has limits for employers but not for situations like concerts. They deal specifically with worker safety but personal safety people shouldn't be dumbasses and go to shows without ear protection ever! :)

I'm an Environmental Health and Safety person by day... ;)

travel317 August 7th 2018 09:51 PM

I was glad to have worn ear plugs at the concert I attended. Usually, when I look around in my section, I'm the only one wearing them but this time I spotted quite a few people also wearing them.

Jon84 August 8th 2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill (Post 4198271)
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has limits for employers but not for situations like concerts. They deal specifically with worker safety but personal safety people shouldn't be dumbasses and go to shows without ear protection ever! :)

I'm an Environmental Health and Safety person by day... ;)

Ah got you, so similar to here then!

I used to work at a company who survey ships and oil rigs, so H&S was a massive part of the mandatory training for all staff!

Becks12 August 9th 2018 01:41 PM

If you ask security in the UK they will get you some earplugs. I have some proper ones that I sometimes wear at gigs. I'm meant to wear them all the time but no matter what they say it definitely does muffle some of the sound rather than just bring it down to a lower level.
I've got tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud music. Its a bit annoying so its better to protect your ears than get stuck with a background EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE forever! You do get used to it though, I forget its there most of the time. I'm not sure its gigs or listening to loud music on earbuds that was the cause. Probably both!

wol August 9th 2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becks12 (Post 4198411)
If you ask security in the UK they will get you some earplugs. I have some proper ones that I sometimes wear at gigs. I'm meant to wear them all the time but no matter what they say it definitely does muffle some of the sound rather than just bring it down to a lower level.
I've got tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud music. Its a bit annoying so its better to protect your ears than get stuck with a background EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE forever! You do get used to it though, I forget its there most of the time. I'm not sure its gigs or listening to loud music on earbuds that was the cause. Probably both!

One time I forgot to take my earplugs on me and went to ask a few members of Genting Arena staff for a pair. They laughed their arses off because apparently it was so funny.

Proper live music listening earplugs shouldn't muffle sound so get another pair. Mine are custom made to fit my ears perfectly and sound is clear as a day.

geo. August 10th 2018 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becks12 (Post 4198411)

I have these. Not muffled at all.

Jon84 August 10th 2018 08:28 AM

The best ear plugs are the ones that are molded to your ear like IEMs (In Ear Monitors), they create the best seal on the ear.

matineeidyll August 10th 2018 08:52 AM

What would I be looking at cost-wise for custom plugs? I make do with the disposables because they're easy to pick up and take the extreme harshness out, but they do muffle. Also my ears still ring afterwards and after hundreds of gigs in my lifetime so far, I want to rack up a few hundred more :D

Concetta August 10th 2018 11:27 AM

I usually grab a big bag of ear plugs from Home Depot. They are soft enough to roll and put in your ear...then they expand. They are not perfect...but they help.

My hearing is shot from being a silly kid in the front row of many MANY shows without ear protection.

I'd love to invest in a good set.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Simon August 10th 2018 11:59 AM

I don't know how much custom molded ones would be, not cheap I'd imagine, but the Senner brand are a good option at a reasonable price. I used to have a pair but lost them, they really don't muffle/impair the sound very much at all, certainly not in the way the basic foam ones do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senner-prot.../dp/B01FSO0020

They're also pretty inconspicuous, not bright orange/yellow, so you don't get as many funny looks from people.

wol August 10th 2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matineeidyll (Post 4198466)
What would I be looking at cost-wise for custom plugs? I make do with the disposables because they're easy to pick up and take the extreme harshness out, but they do muffle. Also my ears still ring afterwards and after hundreds of gigs in my lifetime so far, I want to rack up a few hundred more :D

Mine are these. Bought them nearly 10 years ago and they are still as good as new.

Jomax September 11th 2018 07:29 PM

Yes, I am a music teacher and brought ear plugs, my ears are still hurting from last nights concert at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon. This show was way too loud and made the audio distorted. Sad because Foo Fighters is one of my favorite bands, but I won't attend another show in the near future. There should be laws protecting the public from something this loud. Dangerous for children and young people. I saw many people around me covering their ears and putting tissue in thier ears! Not Good! listen up Foo Fighters about what damage you are are doing to your fans!