Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   General Foo Discussion (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Foos back in the studio (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=171872)

aprilshack January 11th 2018 02:05 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183258)
I was going to say, aren't you guys getting a little ahead of yourselves? :lol:

Itís true! I have looked into my crystal ball.🔮

wol January 11th 2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183258)
I was going to say, aren't you guys getting a little ahead of yourselves? :lol:

Haha no! I set my alarm already :D

Johnrougeux January 11th 2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183197)
"Solid Gold" Limited Release 7 Inch Gold Colored Vinyl RSD 21st April 2018
Lonely Boy / Never Let Her Slip Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV9JnxUp6HI

Note they are recording on the Neve - this is serious stuff :)

Let's see how close I get.

I remember Lonely Boy, but that Never Let Her Slip Away song needs to...slip away. :vom:

FooZealand January 11th 2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnrougeux (Post 4183289)
I remember Lonely Boy, but that Never Let Her Slip Away song needs to...slip away. :vom:

There is no accounting for musical taste.. even Dave's :D

To be fair if it is this (which seems highly likely) a lot of it is unquestionably just Dave having a self satisfying memory trip back to the 70's. But hey why not he's earned it - and for those of us exactly his age - we can maybe dig it a bit more.

Of course a cover can be anything from a faithful exacting reproduction to an unrecognisable WTF - but I'd imagine it would sound pretty similar to the original. I still rate the Foos Baker Street as one of the best covers I've ever heard just because it so faithfully reproduces everything that is great about the original. So you never know but yes chances are high you will probably dislike the B side :lol:

Johnrougeux January 11th 2018 08:17 PM

I'm 53 and recall the 70's all too well. There are much better songs to cover than that one.

FooZealand January 11th 2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnrougeux (Post 4183295)
I'm 53 and recall the 70's all too well. There are much better songs to cover than that one.

Oh true there are, this was a time and place thing for Dave is what I'm meaning. It's a personal pair of songs for him, rather than a best choice from anyone else's perspective. The age thing is simply me thinking those our age at 50 plus are more likely to appreciate it than those at 30, but again music preference means that isn't necessarily true either.

O.B.gene January 11th 2018 08:53 PM

backing vocals from Freddie Mercury definitely help matters.

FooZealand January 11th 2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183298)

I guess we'd try Taylor on that?

I'd be looking forward to a video too... yes prob too much :lol:
https://i.imgur.com/gIuJM6E.jpg

Simon January 11th 2018 09:33 PM

You guys really running with my Andrew Gold thought, huh? :lol:

It's probably something entirely different.

Poppy4580 January 11th 2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183304)

The fact that the Andrew Gold page randomly like some of my Foo photos on IG last week has added some additional speculation

FooZealand January 11th 2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183304)

For me it's the timing of the session relative to RSD in April and the fact that there is a "Gold" double link here which everyone including management will like as additional promo type noise which would happen through South America and into a drop right at the start of the 2nd US leg. And the use of the Neve.

aprilshack January 12th 2018 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183317)
For me it's the timing of the session relative to RSD in April and the fact that there is a "Gold" double link here which everyone including management will like as additional promo type noise which would happen through South America and into a drop right at the start of the 2nd US leg. And the use of the Neve.

Aren't annoncements for this years rsd releases about to take place too?

Simon January 12th 2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183317)

All true, just a point, they're using the Neve at EastWest, not the one at 606. EastWest is one of the few other places that still has a working Neve 8078.

TheFaceYouAlwaysSee January 12th 2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilshack (Post 4183343)
Aren't annoncements for this years rsd releases about to take place too?

I wouldn't think so. It's normally about a month before the big day.

offbeatblink January 12th 2018 02:22 PM

Almost seems a little tight for RSD if they're recording now. I thought there's a massive waiting list at the record plants these days.

Still, having a Foo record to look forward to on RSD would be fun.

Simon January 12th 2018 03:04 PM

That plus RSD is usually reserved for archive releases. I admittedly don't pay great attention to the full list but most seem to be those in a new fancy limited format or 'new' old stuff, like in the case of 'Songs From The Laundry Room'. Recording new songs specifically for a RSD release seems unusual, but not out of the question I suppose.

I mean for all we know the AG songs are already in the can long before this session. We know they did Lonely Boy in 2000 but they probably recorded it again more recently, and could've done the other one as well.

Maybe they will release that for RSD but this session has nothing to do with it. Who knows.

Rockhoundnz January 12th 2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183298)

Plus J D Souther and Timothy B. Schmit on that song - pretty much the best backing vocal team ever! :D

Silvia F January 13th 2018 01:45 PM

Taylor talked about it on Jonesy's Jukebox yesterday.
A song for a T-Rex tribute record.
Somewhere in here:
https://player.fm/series/jonesys-juk...WTkVQAPGpn0Wye

FrenchEnemies January 13th 2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvia F (Post 4183428)
Taylor talked about it on Jonesy's Jukebox yesterday.
A song for a T-Rex tribute record.
Somewhere in here:
https://player.fm/series/jonesys-juk...WTkVQAPGpn0Wye

at 37:15

WinnebagoHalo14 January 13th 2018 02:42 PM

Fun^ I love T.Rex. I also am very excited to hear this new record by The Struts!

Simon January 13th 2018 02:44 PM

Thanks guys, that's that then. :)

This one, I guess https://www.stereogum.com/1961871/ke...te-album/news/

O.B.gene January 13th 2018 03:19 PM

maybe Taylor Hawkins got it wrong, or he forgot, and they actually recorded 2 Andrew Gold songs. Because that's what we've been talking about this week. :cool:

aprilshack January 13th 2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183432)
maybe Taylor Hawkins got it wrong, or he forgot, and they actually recorded 2 Andrew Gold songs. Because that's what we've been talking about this week. :cool:

Yeah itís still happening!:p

O.B.gene January 13th 2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilshack (Post 4183434)
Yeah itís still happening!:p

yea we're like Star Wars fans...we prefer our own speculative ideas than reality. :cool:

matineeidyll January 14th 2018 10:45 AM

If that's what it's for and they did '20th Century Boy', my year is hereby made!

TheFaceYouAlwaysSee January 14th 2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matineeidyll (Post 4183462)
If that's what it's for and they did '20th Century Boy', my year is hereby made!

Any other hopes or expectations?

My top 3 for the Foos to cover would be:
Children of the Revolution
20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

I think it'll be the first of those, but I'd be happy with the other two. I just hope it's not Metal Guru - have never really liked that song for some reason.

WinnebagoHalo14 January 14th 2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFaceYouAlwaysSee (Post 4183465)

20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

I think it'll be the first of those, but I'd be happy with the other two. I just hope it's not Metal Guru - have never really liked that song for some reason.

Rip Off!

FooZealand January 14th 2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183432)

And if it doesn't happen now I will be screaming blue murder - how dare they go back on what they promised! :lol:

FooZealand January 14th 2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFaceYouAlwaysSee (Post 4183465)

20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

Solid Gold Easy Action would be spectacularly funny given the rest of this thread. "Solid Gold" is the 7" title Dave told Marc Maron's WTF in Jan 2013.

Simon January 14th 2018 07:03 PM

I mean like I said the AG thing can still happen if they already recorded the songs months/years ago.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183471)
I mean like I said the AG thing can still happen if they already recorded the songs months/years ago.

Yes of course - just that this doesn't appear to be it.

Jan 2013 (WTF) is getting a little far back too. Was there ever any later reference to it again? I would say with many artists something like that has probably been forgotten about 5 years later - but with Dave it's as likely to suddenly pop up a decade later when it was long written off as history :lol:

Oh and yes knew that the Neve was there at EastWest - just referencing Ursellli specifically calling out that it was in action. It smelt ridiculously of "old school cover" of some kind - which of course it still is.

Simon January 14th 2018 07:29 PM

Well they recorded 'Lonely Boy' in December 1999, and he's talked about AG a few times over the years so I think it's always something on his mind for sure. I doubt they would release the old version but it's surely plausible they recorded it again, and Slip Away, in the 2010s.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183431)
Thanks guys, that's that then. :)

This one, I guess https://www.stereogum.com/1961871/ke...te-album/news/

That's definitely the same project (Willner is the SNL guy Taylor references). And despite that article referencing Willner finishing up on it mid August, it's obviously been a longish process with the different artists. U2 in Sept and still going now, so I certainly doubt it will have any RSD relevance. In an interesting coincidence Jonesy himself references being pulled into recording three songs for it with Zak Starkey - and that he still hasn't been paid :lol:

Speaking of coincidences...
This is a very cool T.Rex interview with Tony Visconti from Classic Rock Sept 17:
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/class...81487866498224

At the end he says:
"You hear stuff on the radio now that sounds like them because people are recording a little more minimally again. I think every good rock band has the spirit of T.Rex in their DNA. Every one. You can hear it from Guns N' Roses to U2 to Foo Fighters. They all have a touch of T.Rex."

So I'm guessing that's an absolutely accidental reference to two of the bands asked to be involved lol.

I know it's always done to death but I'd like it to be Telegram Sam. I reckon they'd have killed that.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183473)
Well they recorded 'Lonely Boy' in December 1999, and he's talked about AG a few times over the years so I think it's always something on his mind for sure. I doubt they would release the old version but it's surely plausible they recorded it again, and Slip Away, in the 2010s.

This is true - I got your reference to a lot of the RSD stuff being new releases of not just old songs but often old recording - or cleaned up and remixed old recordings. That's especially true for the deceased artists obviously where RSD is a great medium to slide out a 7 inch for the odd one or two tracks.

So they don't have to have been in a studio though the WTF did kinda give a feel that Dave wanted to re-record them, though he could just have meant finding time to look at the project overall was difficult.

As a sideways relevant thread:
Medium Rare was also a bunch of mainly pre-existing songs. But "Bad Reputation" and "This Will Be Our Year" were new recordings for it. When exactly were they recorded relative to 16th April 2011 release?

Simon January 14th 2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183478)
This is true - I got your reference to a lot of the RSD stuff being new releases of not just old songs but often old recording - or cleaned up and remixed old recordings. That's especially true for the deceased artists obviously where RSD is a great medium to slide out a 7 inch for the odd one or two tracks.

So they don't have to have been in a studio though the WTF did kinda give a feel that Dave wanted to re-record them, though he could just have meant finding time to look at the project overall was difficult.

As a sideways relevant thread:
Medium Rare was also a bunch of mainly pre-existing songs. But "Bad Reputation" and "This Will Be Our Year" were new recordings for it. When exactly were they recorded relative to 16th April 2011 release?

The former is unfortunately unknown, just assumed (perhaps wrongly) to have been in early 2011. The latter though we know was done at the ESP&G sessions.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183487)
The former is unfortunately unknown, just assumed (perhaps wrongly) to have been in early 2011. The latter though we know was done at the ESP&G sessions.

So in fact you could be wholly on point there too (not saying you were suggesting it for this release though, just noting) all tracks could have been old in 2011 for MR as well - might have actually been no studio time involved.

Other random thought - I know it is done for a bunch of promo, advertising or contrib reasons, but it never makes sense to me to record just one song in a studio.

And there deff should be a Foo law that every time they are in one (regardless why they are there) they record 12 tracks even if 11 of them are just one take. :lol: Then every Christmas all the sessions get released as "Bah Foobug 20xx" vinyl box set on the store.

Sigh.. and then I woke up :D

Simon January 14th 2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183490)
So in fact you could be wholly on point there too (not saying you were suggesting it for this release though, just noting) all tracks could have been old in 2011 for MR as well - might have actually been no studio time involved.

I'll have to double check my notes but I think the 2011 assumption on the Thin Lizzy track is mostly due to the liner notes copyright dates. None of the other tracks make sense to be copyrighted to 2011 and whilst you could say they're just using the date first it was first published, they didn't do that for TWBOR, copyrighted to 2007. So yeah, the assumption is they did it quickly in early 2011, but until I can manage to talk to the right people to find out for sure, it's just a guess.

Quote:

Other random thought - I know it is done for a bunch of promo, advertising or contrib reasons, but it never makes sense to me to record just one song in a studio.

And there deff should be a Foo law that every time they are in one (regardless why they are there) they record 12 tracks even if 11 of them are just one take. :lol: Then every Christmas all the sessions get released as "Bah Foobug 20xx" vinyl box set on the store.

Sigh.. and then I woke up :D
When it comes to things like this, and movie soundtracks, the bands time in the studio is usually paid for by the studio making the record, and so they only record the song they're contracted for.

I like the idea though! We definitely need more Foo music releases now singles are gone.

matineeidyll January 14th 2018 11:23 PM

So clearly we need to pass a hat around and buy us some studio time for our bucket list album...right? :p

FooZealand January 14th 2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matineeidyll (Post 4183493)
So clearly we need to pass a hat around and buy us some studio time for our bucket list album...right? :p

Yeah exactly - it's like - your dime for A sure, but hey while we're all here let's do B through L...

But oh the memes...

First it was Mentos... then how we laughed as the "throw away" Dirty Water water idea finally found its companion...

https://i.imgur.com/g5CULdC.jpg

Current album is still growing on me slowly. I loved some tracks right of (Make It Right especially), but it's never going to be my favourite. So ANY more studio time would be great - but the just record it idea hits me tenfold more when the best thing I've heard in last ten years was whipped together in no time in a hotel. Yes they were old tracks redone but still.

Simon January 15th 2018 12:32 AM

To be honest if there is a FF RSD release this year my hopes are for Songs From The Laundry Room II. A full album this time.