Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   Tour Talk (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   MK Guardian review??!!! (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=150686)

danaf July 5th 2011 09:59 AM

MK Guardian review??!!!

'But at the same time, Foo Fighters couldn't be less dangerous, and nor do they have, despite their enormity, any cultural traction'. Now I couldn't get to to MK, but The Guardian's patronizing and ignorant take on things never cease to amaze me. Just a lack of sophistication and heart and then they go and cream themselves over Coldplay and Adele.

aprilshack July 5th 2011 10:06 AM

Re: MK Guardian review??!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by danaf (Post 3543966)
'But at the same time, Foo Fighters couldn't be less dangerous, and nor do they have, despite their enormity, any cultural traction'. Now I couldn't get to to MK, but The Guardian's patronizing and ignorant take on things never cease to amaze me. Just a lack of sophistication and heart and then they go and cream themselves over Coldplay and Adele.

It's the guardian, as bad as the daily mail to me.At the end of the day, I enjoyed myself & I think a few thousand others did.I couldn't give a crap if the critics didn't like the show.It's the paying punters you have to keep happy at the end of the day, not some stick up the ass critic.

Foo Kitten July 5th 2011 11:56 AM

"Cultural Traction"?! Wtf? Can we say pretentious? Yes I think we can...

Foo-Fighter666 July 5th 2011 11:57 AM

here's the link for anyone who wishes to read it, then subsequently register to post a comment :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...-keynes-review

BigCol July 5th 2011 12:18 PM

Typical media bollocks, although our views on here are always going to be on the defensive against such an article.

I learnt a long time ago to stop reading reviews. Of anything.

.Milly July 5th 2011 12:28 PM

Guardian gig reviews are generally appalling, and the people who comment (normally having never been to the event itself) even more so.

danaf July 5th 2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Milly (Post 3544054)
Guardian gig reviews are generally appalling, and the people who comment (normally having never been to the event itself) even more so.

How do you mean? the people who comment underneath the review?

.Milly July 5th 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danaf (Post 3544060)
How do you mean? the people who comment underneath the review?

Yes, a recent review and subsequent comments went a bit like this
review: Glastonbury was great, let's all fellate elbow for being world changing
comment 1: I wasn't there but caught 5 minutes on the tv, everything about it looked terrible

comment 2: yeah I wasn't there either but they serve ostrich burgers? How terribly middle class, what an absolute hell hole

comment 3: you reviewed all the headliners but not the Mongolian goat herding mens gutteral choir? Shame on you guardian

comment 4: you're all pricks

Kathi July 5th 2011 12:45 PM

He's basically saying that they're a good live band who put on a nice show, but that they're not cool or tormented enough.

aprilshack July 5th 2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathi (Post 3544063)
He's basically saying that they're a good live band who put on a nice show, but that they're not cool or tormented enough.

Does a band need to be tormented to be cool nowadays?! Jesus...

danaf July 5th 2011 01:05 PM

Obviously it goes without saying that it shouldn't wind me up but it does. the insinuation they're not 'significant'. Pure Guardian shite

BigCol July 5th 2011 01:09 PM

They had ostrich burgers at MK too.

pra01lw July 5th 2011 01:15 PM

I just had to stop reading - and the one poster who mentioned that he didn't realise Foos fans were "like MJ fans" got my back right up.

Yes, we all love and adore a particular band, but we'll be the first ones to admit that not everything they do is awesome. I was at MK on Saturday and the atmosphere was absolutely electric - I was honestly surprised I could still speak on Sunday morning.

White Limo Driver July 5th 2011 01:28 PM

I like the Guardian for news reporting but there is more than a fair amount of crap in the reviews section. It sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder that he's not watching Nirvana playing at the Bowl.

aprilshack July 5th 2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don't Give A Fook (Post 3544067)
The whole thing is hilarious

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...ew?INTCMP=SRCH

Rope has a metal boogie apparently. The last paragraph is just awful.

What the fuck is metal boogie?! Some new genre they have made up?

danaf July 5th 2011 03:13 PM

The intention being that it's good old blue collar simplistic boogie disguising itself as metal

Lou July 5th 2011 09:36 PM

"the first of them may have been fronted by a man whose iconic status he can never hope to match"

........Oh.Fuck.Offffffffffffffff!!!

Lol@the metal boogie comment though. what a fucking tard.

aprilshack July 5th 2011 09:38 PM

Did the reviewer actually go to either of the shows? Was there some crappy foo's cover band also playing in MK at the same time?!

danaf July 5th 2011 10:19 PM

And don't you just know said reviewer will get 2 comps to the itunes gig at the roundhouse

Sophie July 5th 2011 10:27 PM

Well, I joined up and commented.