Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   Tour Talk (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   La Forum (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=150223)

KingpinXXX June 18th 2011 05:50 AM

La Forum

I haven't been to the LA Forum in awhile. And the last time I went I told myself I would never go back. Lousy sound, Horrible parking, dangerous neighborhood. Not a great place to see a concert. I have been told all this has changed. So for the people who have been there. Is it even worth going to the forum to see a concert? I wanna see the FF. But not at the Forum.

Susan June 18th 2011 06:11 AM

Re: La Forum

I would also like to know what the forum is like. I've never been.

awesome June 18th 2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 3529374)
I would also like to know what the forum is like. I've never been.

Like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ04WbgI9rg

Cosmo June 18th 2011 06:45 AM

Rule Numero Uno: PARK IN THE PARKING LOT!!! I know, it is 20 bucks to park, but 20 buck is a lot less than a stolen or broken into car. Don't be cheap and find a spot on the street... unless you have a crappy car... a really crappy car (like a car so crappy that the guy who drives a shit brown dented up 1982 Buick Regal with a burgundy door from a Monte Carlo and a blue duct taped hood from an Oldsmobile Cutlass, looks at your car and says, "Man... that's a crappy car").
Rule Numero Two: There is no other rule.
Acoustics... well, it's a Foo gig. Loud, distortion, screaming. Does it really matter? But, it is MUCH better than Staples or Ponda Center because those places echo off the 3 stories of glass fronted luxury boxes that none of us can afford. Rich people sticking it to us Reg'lur Joes, as usual.
Food: No idea. I make it a rule to not eat at arenas. 10 dollar burnt hot dogs and 12 dollar watered down beer is not on my menu. Hold off til after the gig and stop at the 'In And Out' closer to home.
Not the best place (Long Beach Arena would have been my choice), but, the Foos will be there... that gotta count for something, right?

Cosmo June 18th 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubzy (Post 3529386)

Actually... that is only the outside. The indoor shots (of the lobby and restrooms) are of the Arena in Bakersfield (where the Kings and Lakers play exhibition games in the pre-season). Bakersfield was used to figure out the logistics for mobilizing the 2003 staging... and where that 12 dollar General Admission warm-up gig.
P.S. If I drove that Pinto.. I'd spring for the 20 dollar parking.

KingpinXXX June 18th 2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 3529396)
Rule Numero Uno: PARK IN THE PARKING LOT!!! I know, it is 20 bucks to park, but 20 buck is a lot less than a stolen or broken into car. Don't be cheap and find a spot on the street... unless you have a crappy car... a really crappy car (like a car so crappy that the guy who drives a shit brown dented up 1982 Buick Regal with a burgundy door from a Monte Carlo and a blue duct taped hood from an Oldsmobile Cutlass, looks at your car and says, "Man... that's a crappy car").
Acoustics... well, it's a Foo gig. Loud, distortion, screaming. Does it really matter? But, it is MUCH better than Staples or Ponda Center because those places echo off the 3 stories of glass fronted luxury boxes that none of us can afford. Rich people sticking it to us Reg'lur Joes, as usual.
Food: No idea. I make it a rule to not eat at arenas. 10 dollar burnt hot dogs and 12 dollar watered down beer is not on my menu. Hold off til after

the gig and stop at the 'In And Out' closer to home.

Not the best place (Long Beach Arena would have been my choice), but, the Foos will be there... that gotta count for something, right?

The Foos being there does count for something. But it appears the sound still sucks. And nothing else has changed. So I can't see paying for a ticket to see any act here. I'll just go to the San Diego venue. And the sound always matters, even for a FF concert. But thanks for the information

Susan June 18th 2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 3529396)

It's funny you picked those cars. My first car was a 69 Cutlass. My second was a Monte Carlo (perhaps an 80?)

It sounds a lot like United Center in Chicago.

Cosmo June 18th 2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingpinXXX (Post 3529400)
The Foos being there does count for something. But it appears the sound still sucks. And nothing else has changed. So I can't see paying for a ticket to see any act here. I'll just go to the San Diego venue.

San Diego is good. I've seen Pearl Jam there a couple of times... much better than the San Diego Sports Arena.
Only downside... it's a long ass drive back home after the gig.

wonkavator June 18th 2011 09:23 AM

The Forum leaves a lot to be desired. Lousy sound and parking in a not so great neighborhood. I wish the Foos would do back to back (to back) shows at the Gibson Amphitheater. I saw the Smashing Pumpkins there a few years ago and the sound in that venue is unbelievable.

gemee June 18th 2011 09:59 AM

The Hollywood Bowl would of been a great choice as well. I just can not bring myself to go to The Forum.

Kathi June 18th 2011 11:45 AM

Is the neighborhood really that bad? I was thinking about trying to get a hotel near the venue, since I'm going to both shows.

jnine13 June 18th 2011 12:19 PM

There are a ton of nice hotels near the airport, about 2-3 miles away down Century Boulevard. The hotels, and I use that term very loosely, right by the Forum are more the by the hour type. If you want to go to bed with bed bugs and wake up to the sounds of someone screaming while being stabbed, the "hotels" nearby are fine.

Kathi June 18th 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnine13 (Post 3529492)
There are a ton of nice hotels near the airport, about 2-3 miles away down Century Boulevard. The hotels, and I use that term very loosely, right by the Forum are more the by the hour type. If you want to go to bed with bed bugs and wake up to the sounds of someone screaming while being stabbed, the "hotels" nearby are fine.

haha, oh dear. I think I'll try to get a hotel near the airport then, thanks. :)

How's public transport to get to the venue & back to the hotel area? Or is it better to just get a cab? Thought about renting a car, but I'm a bit scared of driving in LA.

Lara June 18th 2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathi (Post 3529498)
haha, oh dear. I think I'll try to get a hotel near the airport then, thanks. :)

How's public transport to get to the venue & back to the hotel area? Or is it better to just get a cab? Thought about renting a car, but I'm a bit scared of driving in LA.

I would just get a cab, it's not that far from LAX hotels to the Forum so it won't cost much. Depending on your budget, the Radisson is one of the nicest LAX hotels I've stayed in and reasonably priced, but if you want cheapest of the cheap but not nasty, the Travelodge is excellent value, I've stayed there many times. And all the hotels near the airport have shuttle service.

And I LOVE driving in LA, but I'm a bit weird, and have done it lots of times. :D

Kathi June 18th 2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 3529502)
I would just get a cab, it's not that far from LAX hotels to the Forum so it won't cost much. Depending on your budget, the Radisson is one of the nicest LAX hotels I've stayed in and reasonably priced, but if you want cheapest of the cheap but not nasty, the Travelodge is excellent value, I've stayed there many times. And all the hotels near the airport have shuttle service.

And I LOVE driving in LA, but I'm a bit weird, and have done it lots of times. :D

Thanks a lot, I'll look around for those! :)
I've never driven in the US at all, kinda want to try now that I've reached the magic age of 25 and car rentals don't cost me much more than everyone else anymore...we'll see. :D

Lara June 18th 2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathi (Post 3529557)
Thanks a lot, I'll look around for those! :)
I've never driven in the US at all, kinda want to try now that I've reached the magic age of 25 and car rentals don't cost me much more than everyone else anymore...we'll see. :D

I was about to say "as long as you keep reminding yourself to stay on the opposite side of the road you'll be okay", but then I realised, you already drive on the right! So honestly, it will be a piece of cake for you. The roads are so much wider than in Europe, and the whole country is made for driving, moreso in California, so personally I'd go for it. :D

How long are you going to be there for? Because if it's for longer than just a few days around the shows, you will want a car in order to see as much as you can of LA; it's possible to use public transportation, but it's just so much easier with a car. :)

Gabrielle June 18th 2011 03:25 PM

I've come to appreciate the Forum after seeing shows at Staples and Honda. As posh and safe as those venues are, their acoustics make me wonder why I bothered.

And yes, the surrounding area is bad. Do not stay in Inglewood, ffs. Use caution.

Speaking of food, I noticed some soul food places nearby. I might try one next time.

white devil 67 June 18th 2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabrielle (Post 3529604)
I've come to appreciate the Forum after seeing shows at Staples and Honda. As posh and safe as those venues are, their acoustics make me wonder why I bothered.

And yes, the surrounding area is bad. Do not stay in Inglewood, ffs. Use caution.

Speaking of food, I noticed some soul food places nearby. I might try one next time.

The sound isn't that bad at the Forum - Staples and Honda are much nicer to look at, but the sound is awful.

I saw the Foo's at the Forum the last time they were there and many of the seats were ripped out. The wife and I saw Prince there a month or so ago and the seats are back in.

Don't plan on eating there - arena dogs and burgers. And I'd try to drain my bladder because the wait for the restrooms can be long. It can get a bit crammed in the concourse area with people buying souvenirs, food, etc.

It may sound like I don't like the Forum but I do! Just don't expect to be "wowed" by it's appearance.

I agree with he other posters that said to stay near the airport. I'd rent a car - driving in LA isn't so bad. And it is pretty much a straight drive up Manchester to Prairie to get there.

jnine13 June 18th 2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabrielle (Post 3529604)

I tried one at the corner of Manchester, just down from the Forum. It looked like a Dairy Queen, but the fried chicken and the ribs were great.

Knoxy June 18th 2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemee (Post 3529456)
The Hollywood Bowl would of been a great choice as well. I just can not bring myself to go to The Forum.

I cannot imagine the Foos at the Bowl, unless they were doing an acoustic set. I would rather park at the Forum than the Bowl any day!