Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   General Foo Discussion (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Foos back in the studio (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=171872)

Simon January 13th 2018 03:44 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Thanks guys, that's that then. :)

This one, I guess https://www.stereogum.com/1961871/ke...te-album/news/

O.B.gene January 13th 2018 04:19 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
maybe Taylor Hawkins got it wrong, or he forgot, and they actually recorded 2 Andrew Gold songs. Because that's what we've been talking about this week. :cool:

aprilshack January 13th 2018 05:57 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183432)
maybe Taylor Hawkins got it wrong, or he forgot, and they actually recorded 2 Andrew Gold songs. Because that's what we've been talking about this week. :cool:

Yeah itís still happening!:p

O.B.gene January 13th 2018 06:05 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilshack (Post 4183434)
Yeah itís still happening!:p

yea we're like Star Wars fans...we prefer our own speculative ideas than reality. :cool:

matineeidyll January 14th 2018 11:45 AM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
If that's what it's for and they did '20th Century Boy', my year is hereby made!

TheFaceYouAlwaysSee January 14th 2018 02:22 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by matineeidyll (Post 4183462)
If that's what it's for and they did '20th Century Boy', my year is hereby made!

Any other hopes or expectations?

My top 3 for the Foos to cover would be:
Children of the Revolution
20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

I think it'll be the first of those, but I'd be happy with the other two. I just hope it's not Metal Guru - have never really liked that song for some reason.

WinnebagoHalo14 January 14th 2018 04:34 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFaceYouAlwaysSee (Post 4183465)
Any other hopes or expectations?

My top 3 for the Foos to cover would be:
Children of the Revolution
20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

I think it'll be the first of those, but I'd be happy with the other two. I just hope it's not Metal Guru - have never really liked that song for some reason.

Rip Off!

FooZealand January 14th 2018 07:59 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.B.gene (Post 4183432)
maybe Taylor Hawkins got it wrong, or he forgot, and they actually recorded 2 Andrew Gold songs. Because that's what we've been talking about this week. :cool:

And if it doesn't happen now I will be screaming blue murder - how dare they go back on what they promised! :lol:

FooZealand January 14th 2018 08:03 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFaceYouAlwaysSee (Post 4183465)
Any other hopes or expectations?

My top 3 for the Foos to cover would be:
Children of the Revolution
20th Century Boy
Solid Gold Easy Action.

I think it'll be the first of those, but I'd be happy with the other two. I just hope it's not Metal Guru - have never really liked that song for some reason.

Solid Gold Easy Action would be spectacularly funny given the rest of this thread. "Solid Gold" is the 7" title Dave told Marc Maron's WTF in Jan 2013.

Simon January 14th 2018 08:03 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
I mean like I said the AG thing can still happen if they already recorded the songs months/years ago.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 08:09 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183471)
I mean like I said the AG thing can still happen if they already recorded the songs months/years ago.

Yes of course - just that this doesn't appear to be it.

Jan 2013 (WTF) is getting a little far back too. Was there ever any later reference to it again? I would say with many artists something like that has probably been forgotten about 5 years later - but with Dave it's as likely to suddenly pop up a decade later when it was long written off as history :lol:

Oh and yes knew that the Neve was there at EastWest - just referencing Ursellli specifically calling out that it was in action. It smelt ridiculously of "old school cover" of some kind - which of course it still is.

Simon January 14th 2018 08:29 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Well they recorded 'Lonely Boy' in December 1999, and he's talked about AG a few times over the years so I think it's always something on his mind for sure. I doubt they would release the old version but it's surely plausible they recorded it again, and Slip Away, in the 2010s.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 09:31 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183431)
Thanks guys, that's that then. :)

This one, I guess https://www.stereogum.com/1961871/ke...te-album/news/

That's definitely the same project (Willner is the SNL guy Taylor references). And despite that article referencing Willner finishing up on it mid August, it's obviously been a longish process with the different artists. U2 in Sept and still going now, so I certainly doubt it will have any RSD relevance. In an interesting coincidence Jonesy himself references being pulled into recording three songs for it with Zak Starkey - and that he still hasn't been paid :lol:

Speaking of coincidences...
This is a very cool T.Rex interview with Tony Visconti from Classic Rock Sept 17:
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/class...81487866498224

At the end he says:
"You hear stuff on the radio now that sounds like them because people are recording a little more minimally again. I think every good rock band has the spirit of T.Rex in their DNA. Every one. You can hear it from Guns N' Roses to U2 to Foo Fighters. They all have a touch of T.Rex."

So I'm guessing that's an absolutely accidental reference to two of the bands asked to be involved lol.

I know it's always done to death but I'd like it to be Telegram Sam. I reckon they'd have killed that.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 09:40 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183473)
Well they recorded 'Lonely Boy' in December 1999, and he's talked about AG a few times over the years so I think it's always something on his mind for sure. I doubt they would release the old version but it's surely plausible they recorded it again, and Slip Away, in the 2010s.

This is true - I got your reference to a lot of the RSD stuff being new releases of not just old songs but often old recording - or cleaned up and remixed old recordings. That's especially true for the deceased artists obviously where RSD is a great medium to slide out a 7 inch for the odd one or two tracks.

So they don't have to have been in a studio though the WTF did kinda give a feel that Dave wanted to re-record them, though he could just have meant finding time to look at the project overall was difficult.

As a sideways relevant thread:
Medium Rare was also a bunch of mainly pre-existing songs. But "Bad Reputation" and "This Will Be Our Year" were new recordings for it. When exactly were they recorded relative to 16th April 2011 release?

Simon January 14th 2018 11:15 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183478)
This is true - I got your reference to a lot of the RSD stuff being new releases of not just old songs but often old recording - or cleaned up and remixed old recordings. That's especially true for the deceased artists obviously where RSD is a great medium to slide out a 7 inch for the odd one or two tracks.

So they don't have to have been in a studio though the WTF did kinda give a feel that Dave wanted to re-record them, though he could just have meant finding time to look at the project overall was difficult.

As a sideways relevant thread:
Medium Rare was also a bunch of mainly pre-existing songs. But "Bad Reputation" and "This Will Be Our Year" were new recordings for it. When exactly were they recorded relative to 16th April 2011 release?


The former is unfortunately unknown, just assumed (perhaps wrongly) to have been in early 2011. The latter though we know was done at the ESP&G sessions.

FooZealand January 14th 2018 11:56 PM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 4183487)
The former is unfortunately unknown, just assumed (perhaps wrongly) to have been in early 2011. The latter though we know was done at the ESP&G sessions.

So in fact you could be wholly on point there too (not saying you were suggesting it for this release though, just noting) all tracks could have been old in 2011 for MR as well - might have actually been no studio time involved.

Other random thought - I know it is done for a bunch of promo, advertising or contrib reasons, but it never makes sense to me to record just one song in a studio.

And there deff should be a Foo law that every time they are in one (regardless why they are there) they record 12 tracks even if 11 of them are just one take. :lol: Then every Christmas all the sessions get released as "Bah Foobug 20xx" vinyl box set on the store.

Sigh.. and then I woke up :D

Simon January 15th 2018 12:12 AM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4183490)
So in fact you could be wholly on point there too (not saying you were suggesting it for this release though, just noting) all tracks could have been old in 2011 for MR as well - might have actually been no studio time involved.

I'll have to double check my notes but I think the 2011 assumption on the Thin Lizzy track is mostly due to the liner notes copyright dates. None of the other tracks make sense to be copyrighted to 2011 and whilst you could say they're just using the date first it was first published, they didn't do that for TWBOR, copyrighted to 2007. So yeah, the assumption is they did it quickly in early 2011, but until I can manage to talk to the right people to find out for sure, it's just a guess.

Quote:

Other random thought - I know it is done for a bunch of promo, advertising or contrib reasons, but it never makes sense to me to record just one song in a studio.

And there deff should be a Foo law that every time they are in one (regardless why they are there) they record 12 tracks even if 11 of them are just one take. :lol: Then every Christmas all the sessions get released as "Bah Foobug 20xx" vinyl box set on the store.

Sigh.. and then I woke up :D
When it comes to things like this, and movie soundtracks, the bands time in the studio is usually paid for by the studio making the record, and so they only record the song they're contracted for.

I like the idea though! We definitely need more Foo music releases now singles are gone.

matineeidyll January 15th 2018 12:23 AM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
So clearly we need to pass a hat around and buy us some studio time for our bucket list album...right? :p

FooZealand January 15th 2018 12:58 AM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by matineeidyll (Post 4183493)
So clearly we need to pass a hat around and buy us some studio time for our bucket list album...right? :p

Yeah exactly - it's like - your dime for A sure, but hey while we're all here let's do B through L...

But oh the memes...

First it was Mentos... then how we laughed as the "throw away" Dirty Water water idea finally found its companion...

https://i.imgur.com/g5CULdC.jpg

Current album is still growing on me slowly. I loved some tracks right of (Make It Right especially), but it's never going to be my favourite. So ANY more studio time would be great - but the just record it idea hits me tenfold more when the best thing I've heard in last ten years was whipped together in no time in a hotel. Yes they were old tracks redone but still.

Simon January 15th 2018 01:32 AM

Re: Foos back in the studio
 
To be honest if there is a FF RSD release this year my hopes are for Songs From The Laundry Room II. A full album this time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.