Foo Fighters Postboard

Foo Fighters Postboard (http://bbs.foofighters.com/index.php)
-   Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings (http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes (http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=152545)

FooZealand February 1st 2013 06:43 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 3841143)
I've heard at least half a dozen tapes transferred all of varying quality and completeness through FFL and other places, after all of those we decided on one copy which was the best quality last year. This one, if you want it.

However because of how they were made and as you point out tape degrade through time and wear the more tapes we transfer the better, an even better copy could be and probably is out there.

It's important they're transferred on a high quality tape deck though, just any old tape deck will probably not get the most out of it. If anyone has a tape they want getting transferred I can arrange that, either in Europe or the US. It's obviously hard to get many takers because of how valuable the tape is.

All true. I wasn't suggesting not trying to get the best audio reproduction. Pat was implying it might be possible to tell which was the best sounding version to own. Two different issues. I admit I've never tried to dub mine and I should. It's sealed airtight and has been for years. I have a top end Yamaha Japanese deck, so I should really do that :o

Simon February 1st 2013 11:28 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Ah yes sorry, I see what you and he meant now. I agree with you on that one though, you would need untouched, unplayed control tapes to really judge which version was best the day they were first sent out.

pierre February 1st 2013 02:04 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 3841371)
All true. I wasn't suggesting not trying to get the best audio reproduction. Pat was implying it might be possible to tell which was the best sounding version to own. Two different issues. I admit I've never tried to dub mine and I should. It's sealed airtight and has been for years. I have a top end Yamaha Japanese deck, so I should really do that :o

Yup, a nice transfer with azimuth adjustment of the 1st two releases might potentially give a great result.

pierre February 1st 2013 02:06 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 3841143)
I've heard at least half a dozen tapes transferred all of varying quality and completeness through FFL and other places, after all of those we decided on one copy which was the best quality last year. This one, if you want it.

What is that transfer's detail ?

Simon February 1st 2013 02:17 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierre (Post 3841440)
What is that transfer's detail ?

Forgot to note that, it's JWBs remaster of your latest transfer, Jeremy's tape was it?

pierre February 1st 2013 02:35 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
There's a third tape out there... blowing the second tape (Jeremy's) by far, you never got ahold of it ?

Simon February 1st 2013 02:54 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierre (Post 3841443)
There's a third tape out there... blowing the second tape (Jeremy's) by far, you never got ahold of it ?

Yes it'll be that one, I couldn't remember whose tape it was. June 2011 I've got it listed as?

pierre February 1st 2013 02:58 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Yeah, that's the correct one.

The thing sounded muddy at a first hearing, but I'm not used to listening to that one with enhanced basses. I actually never heard the remaster before today. I'm not a fan, I must say.

Anyway if anyone has one of the two first versions of the tape... I'm interested in lending them and have a try on a transfer.

peco_foo1 February 3rd 2013 07:53 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 3841447)
Yes it'll be that one, I couldn't remember whose tape it was. June 2011 I've got it listed as?

Hey si,would that be my tape?...pierre transfred?

FooZealand February 4th 2013 10:30 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 3841395)
Ah yes sorry, I see what you and he meant now. I agree with you on that one though, you would need untouched, unplayed control tapes to really judge which version was best the day they were first sent out.

No need to apologise - I knew where you'd gone wrong :-)

FooZealand February 4th 2013 10:49 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierre (Post 3841439)
Yup, a nice transfer with azimuth adjustment of the 1st two releases might potentially give a great result.

Yeah the bounces here now got me looking - I really do need to get onto that. I have a $1000 deck that's sitting in a box hardly used, and a tape that's sitting in another airtight box hardly used. The deck has load, travel and capstan adjustments. I always think yeah I'll do that it's been a couple of years...

http://users.actrix.co.nz/xphile/Foo...0Dec-14-05.jpg

Second gen - never did know who here owned it - but clearly looked after from the user name alone. In the box heading on 8 years now... I prob shouldn't wait for an Area 51 intervention lol. The joy here is it doesn't snow, and it doesn't go over 25 C.

Anyway, I'm adding it to the update on the releases as a must do and I'll see how it compares to the flacs in Simon's zip.

pierre February 5th 2013 05:04 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
If you intend on transferring tapes, please have a look at this:

http://www.endino.com/archive/cassettes.html

FooZealand February 6th 2013 04:12 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pierre (Post 3842364)
If you intend on transferring tapes, please have a look at this:

http://www.endino.com/archive/cassettes.html

Yep all good stuff, I bought the deck brand new in 1993 as one of a pair for playback purposes (dubbing TO was done on another even more expensive deck). The first of the pair bought lasted so well the second stayed sat in the box. The first and the to deck were sold years ago, I kept the second so I knew I always had a go to box for stuff like this. It's been set up but I will check it over and match some outputs of clean orig tapes to orig cds so I can confirm. Nothing in there I didn't know, but then not everyone had a sister that was a TV video editor ;)

FooZealand October 15th 2014 10:26 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Giving this a bump for April and to remind myself it needs updating

Pocketwatch October 21st 2014 12:22 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
I believe the second and third versions are switched. First, the label cut is the same for your first and third version. I doubt they switched then switched back again. Second, I have a first version cassette with the physical address crossed out with marker by them and placed in a third version jacket by them. If they still had first version labels left then it really must be the second jacket, not third. I definitely agree with your supposition that they were probably getting inundated and needed to switch to the P.O. Box.

FooZealand October 21st 2014 09:56 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocketwatch (Post 3993985)
I believe the second and third versions are switched. First, the label cut is the same for your first and third version. I doubt they switched then switched back again. Second, I have a first version cassette with the physical address crossed out with marker by them and placed in a third version jacket by them. If they still had first version labels left then it really must be the second jacket, not third. I definitely agree with your supposition that they were probably getting inundated and needed to switch to the P.O. Box.

Yeah numbering wasn't meant to be in order as such at the time I did it - just to signify they were deff different versions... this is something I intend to address so thanks for your comments. Currently trawling through old hard drives of stuff making a PW master folder to rejig the post etc... takes time but it's long overdue. Making it my 20th Ann job for sure.

FooZealand December 29th 2014 08:53 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
I swore one day I'd get to it...

1991 unplayed first gen cassette... plus some tender love and kindness and a 1200 dollar cassette deck (well in ah 1992 lol). 15 or so hours work, I think I've mentioned in passing I worked in a studio for a while, but you know no point blowing smoke. Anyway there's a 2011 Flac that isn't awful, so this may rock your boat in comparison, or may not.

Note: you will find these tracks are all a few seconds shorter if you compare them to other sources because they have been properly play trimmed for correct speed (Dave was faster than you thought... now there's a surprise...)

Pocketwatch 2014, mp3 version 320k, 77MB. Free to all forever.
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/84167325/file.html

Happy 20th.

deadpool December 29th 2014 05:04 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooZealand (Post 4019902)
I swore one day I'd get to it...

Happy 20th.

:vom: this is ballstacular!!!! holy fook!!! best quality ive heard (though ive only heard youtube rips) :vom: :vom:

thankyou foozealand

M.Ho January 4th 2015 07:02 AM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Greetings, experts in the thread, I need your help to calm my nerves.

I am from Canada but live in Hong Kong for work. Most of the stuff that I order online goes to my Canadian address cause I have no room in my apt here and just shipping costs.

I FINALLY purchased a Late - Pocketwatch cassette. The seller's description seemed OK and he had a full rating. I finally talked to my mother and she said that it looked a little fake.

She's no expert in these sorts of things but it got me thinking. I didn't even know people would do through the trouble of faking these things but reading this thread thoroughly gives me suspicions.

I spent a hefty penny on this.

I was wondering if a few of the people in this thread could tell me what they think about the legitimacy of my purchase.

Thanks for your time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1614839991...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

wicked_gravity January 4th 2015 02:53 PM

Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by M.Ho (Post 4020761)
Greetings, experts in the thread, I need your help to calm my nerves.

It looks legit. Keep in mind, there were several variations of color schemes, I know that was doc'd in another thread. I have seen a few and this looks like very good condition.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.