Default Re: Dear Mr. Grohl

Dear Mr. Grohl,

A foolish man once said, "Chess is a foolish expedient for making idle people believe they are doing something very clever when they are only wasting their time." Although, what this man fails to realise is that chess is a sport of kings and has a rich history. Although, given that this man probably found chess too "hard" and stuck to Ludo or checkers or some lesser game, I suppose he can be forgiven for his narrowminded outlook.

Chess has always been considered the pursuit if the intellectual elite, a sport where one battles with brain, not brawn, in order to defeat ones opponent, so, I conclude, that chess is looked down upon by others because of its stereotype of being said "intellectual sport" when, in fact, it can also be enjoyed by the Plebeian masses.

The Plebeian mass can be divided into two further sub-groups, those who want to learn the art of chess and those who derail it due to fear of wit. A great man once said, "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei was imprisoned by this Plebeian mass for his intelligence, and it is presumed he played chess while under house arrest.

The foolish man was George Bernard Shaw.

So, I submit to you, Mr. Grohl, that we should play a game of chess.

Love,
Thomas