Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 1st 2011, 08:59 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Sarah's review of Dingwalls II

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like orange juice View Post
i have to say, i really like the fact that dave told those guys to back off. foo fighters gigs for me have been some of the most pleasurable and most awful shows of my life in terms of crowds. on many occasions i've been able to spend the night on the barrier without too much aggro... dave is also quite good at telling people to take a step back and chill out for a minute. but on other nights i've had boys and girls both punching/strangling/scratching until i've bailed and they've managed to lever me out of my place at the front. at the astoria in 2005 i cried as bailey lifted me out, i guess i was just upset that people would have such little respect for their fellow fans. it's pretty sweet that dave picked up on it on this occasion and told them what's what.
I generally haven't found FF that bad over the years, but I think it's a comparative thing. I used to go to gigs that tended to attract rougher fans, so FF's fans don't seem to bad But it still sucks, particularly if it's bad enough to make you want to bail (or indeed, cry). I think the reason it really pissed me off, is that while most of the time I'll queue to get where I want to be, I'm not beyond sneaking through the crowd if needed. (I say sneaking, I think I'm tall enough to be almost incapable of being particularly discreet!). I've generally managed to finish up where I want to be - without trying to hurt anyone. The punching/strangling/scratching shit is really not on

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like orange juice View Post
i think i've met you before at a few foo fighters shows - possibly the underworld or somewhere like that?! i can't remember exactly... it's been a few years... glad you made it to dingwalls on saturday
I have a feeling it was the Underworld show. Have vague recollection of you in polka dot dress, but I may have been imagining that And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Excellent review Jo.
You're too kind, my dear
Old March 1st 2011, 09:42 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

People who get violent at gigs are asking for a slap imho. There's a difference between exubrence and jumping about enjoying yourself and deliberately scratching/punching/choking people to get them to move away. If I see any of that going on at gigs I am the first to have a words and get said idiots out of there. But then again I am a fairly big lad and not many people argue with me. Maybe I'm old school in so much as I look out for women down the front at gigs if there are any wankers being deliberately rough with them.

Remember that ladies if you have a spare for a future secret show at Dingwalls or similar

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl

Last edited by BigCol : March 1st 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: ..
Old March 1st 2011, 09:44 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Oh and JJ - great review, glad you enjoyed yourself.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old March 1st 2011, 11:45 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
Oh and JJ - great review, glad you enjoyed yourself.
Very much so, thank you

By the way, Ross Halfin as put some pics up from Camden.
Old March 1st 2011, 06:35 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
The chin thing didn't actually hurt that much... it was when Dave later smacked my lip into my teeth with his guitar That did hurt a bit! Tragically, I was slightly disappointed when it didn't come up as a fat lip - a part of me did want to go around saying "fucking Dave Grohl... nicest man in rock my arse. Look what he did!!"

I know... I need to get me one of these 'life' things I keep hearing about
Haha, i love this, i'd be the same!

Quote:
Very much so, thank you

By the way, Ross Halfin as put some pics up from Camden.
Damn he's sneaky! was only on there earlier checking just incase, he was right near where i was so knew it was only a matter of time before his pics went up! Thank you!

"Sometimes I feel I'm getting stuck...Between the handshake and the FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK...."

Dingwalls 2.0...Officially the best night of my life <3
Old March 1st 2011, 06:47 PM

Talking Re: Sarah's review of Dingwalls II

Bit long winded, but here goes:

For me, Saturday was totally amazing! After days and days of Twitter/Facebook watching to see if a gig would happen, i was totally stressed out and in dire need of getting on with the work i'd pushed aside, ready to potentially drop everything and run. I live a little bit outside of London and to get to Camden takes around 1hr 30mins, so knew it was worth at least trying to get there!
I had a few friends that were also keeping an eye out, just incase anything went ahead, and had recently checked Foo's fb page for an update (never did see it but luckily my friend did) so when i received a text from my friend Hayley, simply saying "LOUISE!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ON. Get to seetickets now! xxx"....i nearly had a heart attack on the spot.
While frantically trying to find the gig on the See listings, and checking their fb for the invisible update, i was also trying to text some people that i knew would be wanting to go as much as i did. Finding no listing, i was texting hayley asking where she'd heard etc, inside freaking the hell out as i knew it was wasting valuable time. She was able to send me the link and after a few heart-stopping moments (including realising i had totally lost the ability to type in all the excitement, and my niece turning off my laptop just after it'd gone through), i managed to get my ticket.
I had been texing Juls during this time, and had also sent her the link, so decided to try and go back through with another card to attempt to get a second ticket incase she wasn't able to get one. Unfortunately in the time that had passed between getting mine+turning my laptop back on (2 year olds are not helpful in ticket booking... ), they had sold out.

20 minutes later, changed+diesel topped up, i was ready to go. Concentrating on driving was interesting to say the least, as my mind was most definitely elsewhere! As i was hotfooting it down the A127 i was still frantically trying to get my satnav to switch itself on, as i had no idea where to go once i'd reached Town. Finally managed as i was coming into London about half an hour later (to anyone driving behind me: i apologise. i can normally drive quite well, lol).

I then spent almost an hour trying to find a multi-storey/anywhere to park, that didn't require a permit/was open beyond 10pm...not an easy task it would seem! Can't even begin to tell you how stressed i was, being so near yet so far! At that point i was on the verge of risking a ticket and dumping my car somewhere, but decided against it lol.
Finally made it to Camden, where i then practically ran up and down the high street about 3 times trying to find Dingwalls, while a weird man followed me, saying 'hellooooooooooooooooo' over and over again. very odd.

As soon as i found the place it was relatively plain sailing! got in the queue, got my wristband, went in within the space of about 20 minutes.

Once inside Dingwalls i found my friend, and we managed to get a damn good spot, about 3 rows back, infront of Shifty's mike.
The support act came on, they were fairly decent and songs got better as the set went on, but as others have said, none of us managed to catch their name so are none the wiser. (worth a listen though if anyone does manage to find out!)

Foo's came on about 9pm, give or take. From the moment they came out the crowd were - as always - playing into Dave's hands, which i love! I was mesmerised, and am pretty sure when i caught shifty's eye a couple of times he was slightly laughing at me hehe.
The new album sounds amazing: i made a point of trying not to watch too many youtube videos that had been posted, also wanted to hold out and hear them 'properly', be it live or when that album lands on my doorstep in April. From memory, Arlandria and These Days, Rope and White Limo, were the stand out tracks for me, but its hard to say when (with the exception of the latter two) i had only heard once before, if at all.

For the first half of the gig, while WL was being played, Dave didn't really chat too much, then very proudly declared "That was the new album!!", after it was finished. They then launched into All my life, and it was only after that i remember D chatting and interacting with the crowd a little more (not that i minded, i was loving every damn note they played, but i do love to listen to anything that comes out of the guy's mouth lol)

Obv you've all seen the setlist by now, so you don't need me to go into that, though there were one or two moments i'm not sure have been mentioned yet that made me chuckle, one of which being the guitar tech coming on to turn the volume on Dave's guitar up during Cold Day, because he had forgotten (for a low quality video, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5aL...ature=related). I was also able to get what i thought at the time were pretty good pictures, though seeing some from the front row mine are piss-poor, but they're here if anyone wants a looksi http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=09bae78cc7. Some of the crowd were damn brutal - i mentioned in my other posts about a girl who couldn't have been more than 5ft that was pissed as a newt and throwing herself and her pint into everyone and anyone, and there were a few others that were unnecessarily violent, but for the most part everyone was looking out for eachother, which was really nice to see. It genuinely felt like everyone that was there to see Foo's and were really grateful for being able to get a ticket. I certainly was anyway!

After such a long break it was so good to see them again, and really good to hear some of the lesser played ones. (i did groan when LRTR began, but once it kicked in i was singing along with the best of them). Though to be honest they could have played McFly and i'd have just been happy to see them!

After the show we walked past the roadies loading up the truck, and although i was tempted to stay behind and try to meet the band, i wussed out as i mentioned before...though from the sounds of it, nobody was lucky enough to see them after anyway so i'm not too upset by that!

Next morning i woke up deaf as anything, on a total high and couldn't stop talking about it - that feeling hasn't really changed lol. I'm just so elated that i was lucky enough to go, i just wish more people could have been so lucky, but hey - i'm sure its not the last chance we'll get to be up close and personal with them, and i for one can not wait

I may edit some more into this as i remember it, but overall it was a definite 10/10 for me! A welcome return for my favourite band, and a small gig long overdue.
Thank you to the guys, you genuinely gave me the best night of my life and i love you all the more for it x

Ps...if i fail my essay am i allowed to blame Foo's?! hehe

------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah (not that i want to ruin a post by mentioning 'his' name): no sign of Zane Lowe by me, but was ready to poke him in the eye just incase. I believe he is now home in N.Z so may not have even gone to the show, just ftr!

"Sometimes I feel I'm getting stuck...Between the handshake and the FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK...."

Old March 1st 2011, 09:30 PM

wow guys great reviews, i wish i had a way with words but i dont
all i can say is it was fricking amazing, the best night of my life and i have never been so happy to wake up in the morning deaf as a geriatric!
still got these days stuck in my head and i hope it stays there
Old March 1st 2011, 09:37 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloucheese View Post
I laughed as I read that - largely as so much of it sounded so familiar. Particularly the blind panic

Quote:
Finally made it to Camden ...while a weird man followed me, saying 'hellooooooooooooooooo' over and over again. very odd.
Yep - that's Camden for you!

Quote:
Ps...if i fail my essay am i allowed to blame Foo's?! hehe
No. But you'll remember the gig longer than the failed essay, I'm sure
Old March 1st 2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I laughed as I read that - largely as so much of it sounded so familiar. Particularly the blind panic

No. But you'll remember the gig longer than the failed essay, I'm sure
Haha, i'd do it again 1000 times over if there was the opportunity to! Best gig ever and the fact it was a 'surprise' was even better - none of this 6 month build up then over in a day business!

Lol, glad i wasn't the only one having a total spaz-out then it came to getting tickets+getting there! surprised i made it alive and with no speeding fines! (yet)

Old March 1st 2011, 10:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Lol, glad i wasn't the only one having a total spaz-out then it came to getting tickets+getting there! surprised i made it alive and with no speeding fines! (yet)
The dumb thing is, that the speedtrap that may have caught me was on the way home *facepalms*

If they caught me on the way there, I'm really in the shit
Old March 1st 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
The dumb thing is, that the speedtrap that may have caught me was on the way home *facepalms*

If they caught me on the way there, I'm really in the shit
Ooooooooooh no! That's really shit! i went on a random drive around london afterwards to calm myself down (random i know!), and ended up stuck on regent street for about an hour. after that was so tired i was trying to get home quickly, and nearly got caught a few times...whoops! The satnav warned me they were there coming up so luckily was able to slow down in time. its the average speed cameras that i always forget about and speed up

Old March 1st 2011, 11:09 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Yep - that's Camden for you!
I promise never to do that again.
Old March 1st 2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
I promise never to do that again.
Haha...last time i was there i was offered drugs within moments of stepping off the tube, this time the weird man following me.

Wonder what part of me attracts weirdos

Old March 2nd 2011, 12:11 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Haha...last time i was there i was offered drugs within moments of stepping off the tube, this time the weird man following me.

Wonder what part of me attracts weirdos
I tend to attract the weirdos, but not the drug dealers. Sounds as though you have the better end of the deal
Old March 2nd 2011, 01:07 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

To be fair, you're lucky to get away with some oddity happening in Camden. Weird place.
Old March 2nd 2011, 02:09 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Camden is a toilet of an area and it genuinely baffles me as to how it's such a magnet for out-of-towners.
Old March 2nd 2011, 09:02 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Dan View Post
Camden is a toilet of an area and it genuinely baffles me as to how it's such a magnet for out-of-towners.
You can't blame them, really. It's their guidebooks that cruelly misinform them that Camden is cool.
Old March 2nd 2011, 10:22 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Please watch 'MATTER OF TIME' @ DINGWALLS, LONDON 26.02.11 and my others if you want!! thanks very much - amazing gig!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEOhmNXzc8