Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 2nd 2017, 10:50 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: 'Concrete and Gold' out Sept 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
Not to be dismissive, but "Today" is "Sweet Child Of Mine" on valium, "Cherub Rock" is an exercise in E major, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" is grunge reduction of "Enter Sandman", and I could do this with almost every hit of theirs.

We are wandering into opinion land, sy I'll just say the hallmark hits of Smashing Pumpkins aren't paragons of originality.
The great thing about the Smashing Pumpkins to me is, that they have such a wide repertoire. Metal songs, pop songs, piano based songs, weird electronic songs, uptempo rock songs. Point is, I can name so many interesting songs from a musical point of view and some simple songs that probably aren't that original indeed, just like a lot of Foo Fighters songs aren't. Doesn't mean they're not good, of course.

Galapogos, Here Is No Why, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 1979, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, and so on... I'm not even mentioning songs from other albums. All very original from a musical point of view and different from what most bands in their genre were doing. But yeah.. of course it's subjective. I think we can agree that Billy is a better guitarist, though, right?
Old September 2nd 2017, 10:53 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid mourner View Post
The great thing about the Smashing Pumpkins to me is, that they have such a wide repertoire. Metal songs, pop songs, piano based songs, weird electronic songs, uptempo rock songs. Point is, I can name so many interesting songs from a musical point of view and some simple songs that probably aren't that original indeed, just like a lot of Foo Fighters songs aren't. Doesn't mean they're not good, of course.

Galapogos, Here Is No Why, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 1979, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, and so on... I'm not even mentioning songs from other albums. All very original from a musical point of view and different from what most bands in their genre were doing. But yeah.. of course it's subjective. I think we can agree that Billy is a better guitarist, though, right?
And Dave's a better drummer?

Yes, I can agree on that.

Old September 2nd 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
And Dave's a better drummer?

Yes, I can agree on that.
Definitely.

Although I think Jimmy Chamberlin is better than Dave. I think most drummers will agree with me, that guy is a beast.

*runs out of thread*
Old September 3rd 2017, 01:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

QOTSA, Songs for the Deaf and TCATS, particularly My Hero, would disagree with that assessment,
Dave's the BEAST of Beats!😎
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:36 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Getting the thread vaguely back on to topic....

Really interesting article covering La Dee Dah and other stuff in the FT. Not the usual source for Foo news

https://www.ft.com/content/68102fd4-...6-93fb352ba1fe
Old September 3rd 2017, 03:22 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Getting the thread vaguely back on to topic....

Really interesting article covering La Dee Dah and other stuff in the FT. Not the usual source for Foo news

Can you copy and paste? I can't read without a subscription. Nice for a change though. Was getting a little pretentious in here

Old September 3rd 2017, 03:45 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Can you copy and paste? I can't read without a subscription. Nice for a change though. Was getting a little pretentious in here
It's pretentious and off-topic to discuss the actual music? Huh.

I didn't see any complaints when we went on a page long diversion about Dave's hair in this very topic ... ....

Old September 3rd 2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo P View Post
QOTSA, Songs for the Deaf and TCATS, particularly My Hero, would disagree with that assessment,
Dave's the BEAST of Beats!��
Both are great. Dave is perhaps more 'hard hitting', so in that sense you might be right, but overall, Jimmy has more chops.

(this entire concert, a few minutes in, is single cam on the drums, shows how good this guy is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8Ky7Lb2Ko)
Old September 3rd 2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Got this by googling "financial times foo fighters", see if it works

Edit : No it does not work. Oh well google it and you'll be able to read it
Old September 3rd 2017, 07:45 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Here it is:

FINANCIAL TIMES:

“Do I consider myself a fascist or a Nazi? What the f*** do you think?” In an anonymous room, backstage in an anonymous arena, in an anonymous suburb of Prague, Dave Grohl — who at this point could probably copyright the phrase “the nicest man in rock” — is trying to process the fact that someone has just asked him to confirm he does not in fact hold a candle for the extreme right.
The question hadn’t exactly been, “So, Dave, are you a fascist, or what?” It had been predicated on a track called “La Dee Da”, on the ninth album he’s made with Foo Fighters, Concrete and Gold. The song makes repeated lyrical reference to the British group Death in June, long openly accused of fascist sympathies, and to another group, Whitehouse, who have faced similar accusations.
I wanted to know why he had chosen those names. After all, they’re not exactly the normal reference points for Glastonbury-headlining acts. Ed Sheeran’s oeuvre, for example, is notably short of songs about the neo-Nazi punk band Skrewdriver.
He turns the question back to me. “What do you think that song’s about?”
Well, I very much hope, I explain, that it’s about an alienated kid turning to extremity to externalise his anger, rather than you encouraging your audience to go and listen to Death in June.
Grohl relaxes, and embarks on a long, winding story about a childhood friend’s brother. “He was the darkest, most brilliant kid I’d ever met. Completely alienated from the world, except his record collection, which was Psychic TV, Death in June, Whitehouse, Hunting Lodge. We were just sitting there, pushing all the limits, trying to find albums that were just f***ing noise, really.
“Doing a lot of drugs, listening to Charles Manson’s prison songs in one channel and Jim Jones in the other. That was me, feeling isolated in the sleepy suburb I grew up in, and finding comfort in that alienation.” He talks about painting a mural of Jim Jones on a sheet pinned to his wall, to use as a backdrop for a gig he played with a teenage band. “That was a mistake. Once it dried, I ripped it off and the paint had bled through into my bedroom wall. I had to sleep under Jim Jones for years.”
I’m always paying attention to the audience, to make sure they’re having the best night of their lives
Grohl is very much not alienated these days. You’d struggle to meet someone less alienated. And the entire Foo Fighters organisation seems full of startlingly well-adjusted people. Backstage at a big rock show is often full of people competing to throw the weight of their egos around with the greatest force, but not here. Even the legendarily eccentric (for which read: furious, provocative, terrifying) Killing Joke singer Jaz Coleman — here to perform one song with Foo Fighters — is on his best behaviour, telling one young man who offers him a beer: “I don’t drink. It’s for your own safety.”
Three days before our interview, Foo Fighters had finally headlined Glastonbury for the first time, two years after they had to pull out of their slot at the last minute because Grohl had broken his leg falling off the stage a few days before. They’re still a little emotionally hungover from it — drummer Taylor Hawkins says that in Budapest, the night before, he felt the band was playing with less intensity than usual, because they were still coming down from Worthy Farm.
“When we arrived,” Grohl says, “I walked up to the stage to see the crowd, just as Jeremy Corbyn was making his speech, and I stood there and saw how gigantic the sea of people was.”
That must have been terrifying.
“No, I get excited. My immediate reaction was: ‘We’re gonna light this place up.’ It’s almost like hosting a party. I’m always paying attention to the audience, to make sure they’re having the best night of their lives, so the set list will change in the middle of a gig if I feel we need to break it down or build it up. When we first started doing arenas, I realised it’s the song that fills the room, it’s not necessarily the people onstage. The idea is to shrink the room so it feels like you’re not watching a drive-in movie somewhere.”
The strange thing is that the Foo Fighters are one of the biggest rock bands in the world in the first place. They began as Grohl’s solo project in 1994, after Kurt Cobain killed himself, and for a long time they were That Thing The Drummer From Nirvana Does Now. But Grohl had a knack for writing choruses that could raze city blocks, paired with songs whose angst was always romantic and relatable, rather than intense and disturbing, as Cobain’s had been.
The fans kept coming, and they still do: watch that Glastonbury show on YouTube and you’ll see scores of teenagers bellowing every word back at Grohl.
But how did it happen? What made Foo Fighters so big? “I don’t know,” Grohl says. “I think it might be our commitment and our connection to the people.”
Come on, this is the FT. People who read this aren’t mistrustful of success. You don’t need to be all, “Aw shucks!” about it.
He tries again. “You have to take into consideration that the bands we came from, Sunny Day Real Estate and Nirvana, had amazing but all-too-brief runs. When you’re 24 or 25, and you feel the rug’s been pulled out from under you, there was some consideration to make sure that this lasts forever. I’ve always felt that it was a long game. There are always short-term opportunities that seem like a gold mine, but I don’t trust them. Plus my father put the fear of God into me when Nirvana became popular. He said: ‘You know this isn’t going to last, right? You need to think of every cheque as if it’s the last one you’re going to make’, and I still do.”
Foo Fighters have a manager, of course, but every bandleader is a manager as well. It’s their job to make their bandmates happy, something Grohl didn’t always do in the group’s early years. “I didn’t really know what I was doing. I started to realise I needed a team of people that did, that I can trust. So I’ve only had one manager. I’ve only had one accountant. When it comes to making everyday decisions, thank God I don’t have to make them all, but it is my name at the bottom of the cheque, so I’ve got to make sure the people who make these decisions are cool.”
An hour later, Grohl leads Foo Fighters on stage. They play for two-and-a-half hours, without any let-up. When they finally leave the stage, drenched in sweat, all of them are grinning widely. Grohl is last off, and wanders the corridors until he finds some cousins who’ve joined the touring party for some of these European shows. He crushes them into his arms: “Huge sweaty hugs!” he shouts. “Huge sweaty hugs!”
There’s no sign of misbehaviour. The most controversial thing that happens is guitarist Chris Shiflett quietly explaining in the car back to the hotel why he believes Arsène Wenger should step down as manager of Arsenal football team. Like the rest of the band, he goes quietly up to his room, without throwing a single television from a window or terrorising anyone in the bar.
Earlier that evening, I had asked what the 18-year-old hardcore-punk-drumming Grohl would have thought of the 48-year-old, multimillionaire, arena-filling Grohl. He spoke for a moment about how, while the DIY ethos of punk had inspired him, and continued to do so, he’d always been more interested in the music than the politics. “But, you know, I’m sure I’d have thought, ‘What a spoiled asshole.’ ”
If this is what Foo Fighters are like spoiled, goodness only knows what they’d be like if they were self-effacing. They’re already the Winnie the Poohs of rock; any cuddlier and they’d be its Build-A-Bear Workshop.
Old September 3rd 2017, 08:08 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Indeed
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old September 4th 2017, 01:49 AM
I'll Stick Around

I love the Foo Fighters. I love the Smashing Pumpkins. They are 2 very different rock and roll bands.

Dave and the Foo Fighters are very simple and in my opinion didn't start to experiment until 'In Your Honor' on the acoustic disc. They've started to include other instruments such as piano and strings which I think is great.

Billy and the Pumpkins experiment more and think more outside the box. Just listen to 'Adore.' I call it their f*ck you to rock n' roll album (think silverchair's 'Diorama') and during that era Billy didn't want to write another 1979 song.

They are both great musicians in the type of music they write. I'd love to see a Billy and Dave collaboration....??
Old September 4th 2017, 06:29 AM
How Do You Do

This new album is released NEXT WEEK

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 4th 2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid mourner View Post

I actually know Billy, very intense guy but seriously one of the smartest humans I've ever met.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old September 4th 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaFoo View Post
I love the Foo Fighters. I love the Smashing Pumpkins. They are 2 very different rock and roll bands.

Dave and the Foo Fighters are very simple and in my opinion didn't start to experiment until 'In Your Honor' on the acoustic disc. They've started to include other instruments such as piano and strings which I think is great.

Billy and the Pumpkins experiment more and think more outside the box. Just listen to 'Adore.' I call it their f*ck you to rock n' roll album (think silverchair's 'Diorama') and during that era Billy didn't want to write another 1979 song.

They are both great musicians in the type of music they write. I'd love to see a Billy and Dave collaboration....??
I can't ever see that knowing Billy.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old September 4th 2017, 05:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsotime2 View Post
I can't ever see that knowing Billy.
A Billy and Dave collaboration?

I see your post above...actually nice to see someone say something positive about him, I read more negative things about Billy.
Old September 4th 2017, 05:21 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
This new album is released NEXT WEEK
And I won't even be here! I'm abroad and coming back home on the 17th
Old September 4th 2017, 05:39 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Itunes/play store?
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old September 4th 2017, 05:44 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
I'm abroad too, and won't be back until the 17th!! coincidence. Luckily, it's 2017, and we can download the album and listen to it anywhere in the world!

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 4th 2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaFoo View Post
A Billy and Dave collaboration?

I see your post above...actually nice to see someone say something positive about him, I read more negative things about Billy.
I'd talked to him many times, but my husband and I had lunch with him and we had two solid hours of lively non stop conversation. I realized how incredibly intelligent he is. He's a good guy. His mind is sharp everything he said was interesting. No fluff.

He just speaks his mind, if anyone wrote what he said before or after whatever abrupt thing they print, they'd get more context but that'd be boring as hell to write about.

I believe if anyone asked him a thoughtful intelligent question he'd answer the same way back.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2