Old October 29th 2009, 12:16 PM
Have you found your way around

Arrow TCV interview in German Visions mag - Pics

Here:

Rest:

Old October 29th 2009, 01:34 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Default Re: TCV interview in German Visions mag - Pics

You know I'm swiping that and putting it on the website.

Old October 29th 2009, 07:35 PM

Sure. Go ahead

Maybe you could ask Claudia to translate it for you?
Im too busy to translate 6 pages - this would take me days.
The interview is hysterical though

Do they really drink a drink called "Das Boot" in Austin/Tx.???
Old October 29th 2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPirelly View Post
Sure. Go ahead

Maybe you could ask Claudia to translate it for you?
Im too busy to translate 6 pages - this would take me days.
The interview is hysterical though

Do they really drink a drink called "Das Boot" in Austin/Tx.???
She couldn't do it - she knows very little German. Her mom probably could though~

Nothing would surprise me about Austin.
Old October 29th 2009, 07:58 PM

thanks

Dave says about Saibo's song's

D. Grohl
USA
oct 7, 2008 @ 1:51 PM
Excellent site guys. I'm very impressed with your tracks, lyrics and original sound. Tiff (T) as well as I, are very excited for your arrival to the states. See you soon guys!
Live, Love & Rock, Dave
Old October 29th 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecy View Post
She couldn't do it - she knows very little German. Her mom probably could though~
Awww, too bad

Hm. Maybe (if I find time) Im going to translate it during the weekend.
Its a really great interview.
Old October 29th 2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Awww, too bad

Hm. Maybe (if I find time) Im going to translate it during the weekend.
Its a really great interview.
Don't knock yourself out over it. I'll still post it ... Pictures!!!
Old October 29th 2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks Elly
Old October 29th 2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAYLORHAWKINS_2005 View Post
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Thanks Elly
Youre welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecy View Post
Don't knock yourself out over it. I'll still post it ... Pictures!!!
Yeah
Isnt that cover pic brilliant?
Old October 29th 2009, 08:34 PM
The Sidekick

I've got someone shipping this to me. I've not worked out how i'm going to read it yet though.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 29th 2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I've got someone shipping this to me. I've not worked out how i'm going to read it yet though.
Thats sad because visions is a really good magazine, imo.

Hm, I guess I have to do a translation
Old October 29th 2009, 08:41 PM
The Sidekick

Heh, I mainly got it for the CD and pictures. Yes, i'm a fangirl.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 29th 2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
Heh, I mainly got it for the CD and pictures. Yes, i'm a fangirl.
Who isnt

Youre going to be very pleased about TCVs New Fang.
What a killer song.
Since Ive heard it properly mixed Im even more excited for the album.
Old October 29th 2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah
Isnt that cover pic brilliant?
very much so
Old October 31st 2009, 02:36 PM

Theres that dude elendirlight at the TCV forum who started to translate the article.
Hes doing a pretty good job.

Quote:

Them crooked vultures.

There were no practices, just play.

What happens, when the member of Queen of The Stone Age, the Foo Fighters and Led Zeppelin make an appoitment in studio? At first, nothing at all. Because those misters like to "keep it in the closet", intrigue and "from mouth to mouth". Then came a strange band name and a tour which sold out in 12 minutes, before anyone had heard a sound of it. Then a quick rush of album, a raw devil in the box, which however has the potential to be a modern-time hardrock classic. With the self-assurance comes the cowboy mentality:"we play like no one else can. It's not important if it is perfect. Perfect is boring."

Text: Markus Hochenbrink/Foros: Thomas Rabsch

Ok, here comes the translation for the first page, will do the other parts later.

Austin, as they said, is like a liberal oasis in Texas, where people can dare to drive around with Obama-sticker, to recycle garbage and to ask for national intendance. For american standard, the city is small and compact compared to other cities and blessed with a public transportation system, and at least two times in a year, "music capital of the world". In March there's the "south by southwest" Festival, which turns the city into a huge presentaion stage, on which the recoding companies would introduce both established acts and a lot of newcomers to the public and every two people jumps around important little bands. In October then again comes the "Austin City Limits" Festival, three more days full of Live Music on every avaible proportion, where people could suddenly feel very comfortable with Texas.

The autumn in Austin is the days more beautiful, when the tempreature has reduced to bearable 30 grades and the people with german ancestry can fly their flag. The october fest will be celebrated in pubs called "singer's halls" later and the celebrating young guys buy "The Boot"- a boot-shaped glass filled with bock beer. Outside the policemen are patrolling on horses through the 6th Street, which has been changed into a pedestrian precinct and has taken into a carneval aura. From every bar comes out the diffuse sound of electrically enhance music, and there's a smell of roasted meat spreading over the whole inner-city. Everybody can melt into such a combination, like the short haired muscleman with the "Fuck you, I'm from Texas" t-shirt and aslo Dave Grohl, who answered with a shocked "Hell, no!" to the question if he is a Vegetarian.

"The Texas-barbecue differs itself from the normal barbecues with a certain lack of fuss, which goes well with the nature of Texans", the Foo Fighers singer said with a slightly absent view. "People here choose several different meat sorts and eradicate them with Barbecus sauces. Nohthing else. There is usually a piece of extra-mushy white bread and a cucumber." Grohl talked a little bit more about his favorite barbecue, til he felt he might have come to Austin because of that. Then he reminds himself of his new band and becomes even more euphoristic.
link to TCV thread
Old October 31st 2009, 04:20 PM
I'll Stick Around

here's some more of the article from that person...
Quote:
Here is the first half of the third page.

People knows the smile on his face from the christmas gift expierences, and the reason for that is called Them Crooked Vultures, a hardrock-trio, for which the concept "supergroup" is well reserved. "Dave is turning his youth dream into true", Josh Jomme will add this later, "and that's something not a lot of kids can say about themselves." Together with Homme and a certain John Paul Jones, Grohl has built since shortly a band, which was "a project" for about half an hour and now "the best fucking band I've ever been in'.

Grohl spits more out. "The last year was the craziest year in my whole life. The Foo-Fighters greatest hits, the new project and a second child, all at the same time. All wonderful things, but actually it should have been a sabbath year for me. At the end I have to go to the doctor, because I got chest pain caused by loads of pressure. I've drunk three bottles of coffee on a day and could not sleep later. First I was in studio for the new Foo Fighters songs, afternoons I went over to Josh, and when I got back home at half past 2, my 3 years old kid would almost wakep up again. Coffee is my only help to get around. I don't take drugs. At the end I was thinking: I'm gonna have a heart failure." The doctor however said only about "a thin heart", suggested a glass of red wine before sleeping and advised Grohl that he should do some sport- a bit of drumming could do it too.

That "drumming" is exciting in the ears of the ex-Nirvana drummer, because he hadn't been allowed to touch his favorite instrument in Foo Fighters- and actually it matches his personality the best. "Of course I like it too, to be the singer of Foo Fighters and scream at the crowd, but I think that drummer does have a certain similar presoanlity structure. The cliche is simply true: good drummer-good band. Super drummer- super band. As a boy I played football and I was always the goalkeeper. Then I changed to Lacrosse and again I was the goalkeeper. I was always standing at the end of the playground. And so as a drummer." Grohl thinks about this for a moment, "but I enjoy it exactly like this. I enjoy it, to sit one meter behind Josh Homme and John Paul Jones and see how they duel with each other."

As a former member of Led Zeppelin, John Paul Jones fills Grohls rockstar-fetish-profile without any challenge. The pure-blood musician doesn't only play "all the instruments under the sun", but also remains active in his time after Led Zeppelin. He worked with Diamanda Galas, Sonic Youth and the Butthole Surfen, wrote arrangements for REM and the Foo Fighters and also doesn't shy away from visiting a Banjo-Camp in North Carolina. "He is a musicial adventurer, who simply likes to play", said Grohl, "it doesn't matter who you are. If you invite him to jam, he probably would come, too." Jones' ingratiating personality really comes to front very quickly as soon as he enters the room. This man must have outsourced star behavior, probably about 1970 with the glistening Led Zeppelin frontmen. "But Led Zeppelin were not just Page and Plant", he said, "all the members belonged to it." Jones has the melting smile and the waking view of a self-conscious musician, who is in peace with his past and holds curiosity about the future.
wow! i can't believe that about dave! hopefully he takes it easy.
Old November 1st 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
...second part of the 3. Page.

"To play music and earn money for it is better than a real job", he still thinks so and the "generation question" is a refreshing negligibility to him. "yeah, I still know how the Who once sang Hope I Die Before I Get Old. But try to tell Roger Daltrey this nowadays." Jones smiles meaningfully. "People has always said, Rock n' Roll is just for young people. But the problem was, no old men played Rock n' Roll at that time. We were actually the first generation. or the second. or the first and a half. Anyway nobody would say it today. There are seldom people about 20 in this business today, but quite a few are 60. Nobodys knew, how long people can make it, and still nobody knows it now. When I will be 80 but can stil hold a guitar, I will still play on it." People can't hear the average ages from Them Crooked Vultures. The band has nothing to do with sluggishness of older superstars who like to see their names besides each other in big shining led signs and make a nostaliga tour for the redwine-drinking oldtimers. On the contrary, the band and the album sounds as fresh out of the probe room: 13 noisy songs from the hot hearth, a latent dangerous monster which should not be let out in the midnight hours. Melodies are welcomed, but they have to surrender to a merciless rhythmus machine, which favors brachial simplicity all the time.

"Josh and I share the preference to bring things uncomliacated into the position and to prompt people to swing their hips", Dave Grohl says about the original idea behind Them Crooked Vultures, "we wanted to do something together again for a long time, probably just the two of us, but Josh is always very busy with his diverse projects." The paths of the two musicians have often crossed with each other and established a certain kind of fan friendship- and its high point was when Grohl joined the Queens on their third album Songs for The Deaf. "Josh and I have known each other for quite a while", said Grohl. "I think I saw him the first time in 1992 with Blues for The Red Sun. Kyuss are together with The Obsessed and Wool on tour. At that time we all heard loads of Hardrock and psychedelic stuff, from Can to Canned heat so to say. When Josh got the Queens of The Stone Age, their debut album then again became the favorite in my friend circle. After Rated R came out, we asked them if they'd want to go on tour with Foo Fighters- that was the real begin of a friendship, in 2000. Latest til the next tour there came in the musical bond between Josh and me, which I didn't have with many people. It was like a beyond-rational realization or a same wave length. I mean, I love old Black-Flag albums exactly so much as Abba- and Josh too. That guy likes to dance, and I like Disco songs."

End of the last year the appropriate moment came at last, and Dave Grohl built up the Dream team. Both his Foo Fighters and The Queens had an opening in their calender, and the drummer's fingers were itching. "At that time I hadn't touched the guitar for five months and actually I wanted to lean back and have some rest, when Dave called and asked if I wanted to play with John Paul Jones", Josh Homme remembers. "How could I say no?" Just like how he tells the story, Grohl got the right mixture of diplomatism, insistency and calculation to make sure of the happening of the meeting. After all the Foo Fighters singer was the only one, who could already make an imagine of his future co-workers and understand it best. It's not the simplest thing on the world to mix Josh and John's personality with each other well, if the often changed Queens of The Stone Age line-up is a sign.

"Josh is somewhat unique", Dave said it too. "I think when people have made two Queens ablums with him, that is almost like a Insignia. when people once jam with them, ok it is welcomed from time to time, but it has to be the right moment. And the moment seems to be the most important for the three of us. It approved every fantasy people could have from play in a rock band. And the moment happened! People got goosebumps, the jaws were dropped, everything exploded like from nothing. After that people would not long to play in front of sold out crowd or get some trophy. For sure they are high points too, but those little moments, they are something totally different. With John I've got the impression I could exaclty swear that. And I told Josh it too: when there is someone who understands this moment, then him. I mean, have you ever seen a Led Zeppelin film. This band lives on the musical conversation, there are no words needed to rob you of your mind. "
provided by elendirlight from the TCV forum
Old November 1st 2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The fifth page is almost done.

Grohl went into offensive to carry out his sophisticated plan in January, by inviting both of the supergroup aspirants to his 40. birthday in a theme-oriented restaurant with the name "Medieval Times". "people know the restaurant among others also from the Jim Carry film Cable Guy. They have knight fighting there in front of your tables. People can eat with their fingers and so on. And I had my birthday party there. I invited 200 friends, some from the family and some from the business, like Bill and Brann from Mastodon or Danny Carey from Tool. And I invited John, who surprisingly did come, and Josh of course, who I placed beside John with intention. So they had their Blind Date in Medieval Times."- "Yes, it was Dave's idea to break the ice", Josh confirms, "a dirty little trick, but somehow classical." And quite successful: A few weeks later the three were in a studio again, to try with their instruments with each other in an easier atmosphere. The easiness could be mostly on Grohl's part, who according to Homme was so happy about the meeting like a self-satisfied bawd. "I have generally no musical idol", Homme says, "I do admire people like Iggy Pop. Tom Waits, Bjork, PJ Harvey or Howlin' Wolf, but I don't get unobjective there. Til I got to know John. He is somehow reserved just like me, and this made me very polite towards him."

What happened later brought however all of them very quickly to the acknowledge that what they got here was a combination which most muscians would be looking for in their whole life. At least the remarks let people guess so. "The excitement to play in a new band had grown very low within me after all the years." John Paul Jones says. "Not a lot of new music get me excited nowadays. Everytime I listen to a new band, I think about one another which I treasure, I'm not quite fair there. I could only think: What should I do after Led Zeppelin? What for a band should I still get in? But I liked Josh immediately. He is a tight guy and I've always liked tightness. Ich got the impression very quickly that it would be fun and I could break my swear that I would never play in a band again. Even at the first jam we sounded already partly like a well-practised troop."

Dave is the same as enthusiastic:"There were no big song structures, we just went on and played. For me it was a great test for compatibility, then we can tell quite quickly if we belong to the people who can actually make it or not. People should simply know, how to release it. John has done that one million times, he practically invented that- and Josh is the same. We played for about half an hour, but I knew it already after 4 minutes, that something extraordinary was happening. There were times in probe room when I simply knew, that something special just happened, and all that almost in the process. It was so intesive, that I looked over to the roadies, they were standing there with mouth opened, and usually the working group is famous for being very deaf and embittered." Josh Homme describes the Vultures-expierence as something which makes people more youthful, and the best thing about it is the spontaneity- even when there was always a bit portion of nervousness with him."After our first try I knew it clearly, that the thing here could work. Or it would have looked stupid: how is it possible, that Dave and you and John Paul are not able to make music together. The question would have always been there in my mind if this hadn't worked. The three of us must be able to set up something half sensible. When Dave suggested the band, he had also begun something, which he could not call back. That's why the need to keep it as a secret. For me it was a big load of pressure there."
provided by elendirlight
Old November 6th 2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Still unknown, yet suddenly musical musk animals- it could be a surprising aha-expierence for John and Josh, but Dave Grohl was already pushing it at that moment in the fan community. The Foo Fighter seems to have carefully watched his experiment from the beginning. "To get a band together is something quite strange- i haven't done it since 15 years. It is really like at a Blind Date: you meet a stranger, because someone elst thought you could be a beautiful couple. Then there is the embarrassing break. After that, either it would work out immediately or people can try it deliberately. Of course it's not as romantic as love at the first sight." The session of the unnamed debut of Them Crooked Vultures, though, they described it as extraodinarily romantic. It is also because of the chemistry between them, the way how the album was made and not least of the music on it.

"We knew that everyone of us was allowed to play every instrument and sing every song if he wanted to", Grohl said. "But the division of work became clear very soon and it was very dynamic. Josh brought up the idea that we three arranged the music, and if we could play though the song without making a mistake, then we have pushed the recording button. After that Josh added some texts on them, but generally we just wrote some instrumental pieces." Josh Homme said it even more poetic:"So to say I've brought the marmor, on which we can sculpt later." The Queens-singer found himself in the paddle-leader position again very soon and had to be the frontman because no one else wanted to take the job. "I like to be the type who usually says: where should I stand?" John Paul Jones comments with a mischievous smile, "I don't want to linger on such questions for too long. Yeah Josh is in an exposed postition, but he knows that he has a good boost behind his back."

Them Crooked Vultures function exactly so too on the stage at their show in Austin: an expierenced singer who appeals to be very uncharacteristically shy in front of his allstar bandmates, and a rhythm group who watch this situation exactly as a kind of insider-joke and then trash on it even more perkily. The dynamic in the band seems to be directly imported out of the session room, and the songs are mostlly like raw monoliths. That gives them live the stronger force and the freshness of an angry newbie group, which is but at the same time on the way with a sovereignty which reveals expierence from long years: two worlds, harmonically grated into higher decibel area. "It sounds very natural when I listen to the album", Dave said,"becase everybody does exactly his thing, in his way. People can always hear Josh's Guitar, and John's Bass too. It's unmistakable. The whole idea was to bring our different preferences together. If somebody asks how we sound, I'd say: it sounds like John is playing bass, Josh playing the guitar and me the drum. And that's why it was very easy. There is no practice, just play. And people can hear that too."
Quote:
John Paul Jones packs out immediately the very big compliments: "For me there are a lot of similarity points between Led Zeppelin and Them Crooked Vultures. To a kind of of impartiality: We made the first Led Zeppelin album in 30 hours- and we were still on stage as the Yardbirds. With the Vultures it went very quick too. We knew immediately that we must go on tour with this album. And just like in Led Zeppelin, here opens again and again small window, through which people can make a sideway. This band has an oldschool attitude." It was also said that all the lyrcis were Josh's resposibility and the singer was forced to do it. "I have never had to write so many lyrics in such a short time. I can say that in this band I fall into a suitation which I always wanted to avoid: Usually I always have a room for manoeuvre behind me so that no one will ever catch me with lowered trousers so to say. Now I've been got caught with the wrong foot, and that's why the lyrcis are fresh from emotional tap."

Homme says the inspiration for the Vultures lyrcis was from some darker place, which he tried to describe with a "musical photography". "There is a lot of obession and cravings on that album, and also a lot about the feeling, somehow estranged to be- a sound like a walk at night." And here the band's name came into the game. "We need a name which could fit this there-is-no-tomorrow atmosphere well. And sometimes it really seems every band name has been used. We didn't want a The-band name,so we squeezed a M into it. That is bad English yeah, but aslo fucking cool. And the name pushes to band in the corner of people which I grew up with, White Trash in the broadest sense. I'm imagining how they will scream"hey-it's them crooked Vultures over there!" It colors the language, people know where you are. It sounds quite sleazy, and it reminds me of a nursery rhyme: There was a crooked man who walked a crooked path. The picture in my mind is a twisted path, which goes through safer and dangerous places, passes all the good and bad ideas. The path, which at last everybody goes. And the vultures who wander in the alley. Those are imaginations which are sexy for me. One foot on the curbstone and another on the cloud- that's how I'd like to live my life."

To the end we are like with the classic daredevil-rock again. Them Crooked Vultures stand now firmly in the tradition of Rock n'roll, which stands with its leg apart over the daily life and hammers the thoughts professionally out of the brain of their audience, so that people can concentrate on the blood in their veins. "It must be sweet enough for the girls and hard enough for the boys", Josh Homme talks about his imagination of music. "the quote is from Iggy Pop. And that has always been exactly my ambition." And what with the sweet boys and hard girls then? "Bring them all along,that's my devise. Leave the nudniks at home. If I can choose my audience, I would only choose the most interesting ones from every clique. If you play only for one clique, it can't be a good party. "

Thanks to elendirlight from the TCV forum.
Old November 10th 2009, 02:50 AM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

LOL Re: TCV interview in German Visions mag - Pics

Quote:
Here:

Rest:

*just about to click*
......wait a minute!

Das vat! dam!

Thanks for those that can translate!

Last edited by A Little Frayed : November 10th 2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: hmmm...Is someone missing something?