Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: who is the better guitarist?
Dave 5 31.25%
shifty 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22nd 2009, 12:51 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: who is the better guitarist

Chris is a better guitarist. Dave is better at writing songs with a guitar. Personally, i'd rather be the latter.
Old October 23rd 2009, 05:47 PM
I'll Stick Around

Id go with Chris.
Old October 25th 2009, 04:56 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Chris is by far the better.
Old October 25th 2009, 10:30 PM
In too deep

Are we talking "Peace Sells but Who's Buying?" or "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace" ...?

It's a hard choice. I like Chris Poland's squeaky tone.

Also - clicky - you know you want to!
Old August 14th 2011, 03:00 AM

Chris is definitely the best guitarist in the band, he has such a clean style too its awesome, Dave is better than Pat, But Pat is a major guitarist in his own right my 2 cents.
Old August 15th 2011, 11:25 PM

I could say Shifty's better, and that'd be ok, but on any given day Dave and Pat can play with anybody.

Lemmy say this:

They are the best when they are together-
Chris, Dave & Pat

If you need proof- look no further than the interplay on the volcanic Rope,
or my favourite-

the triple, not twin, guitar interplay on Arlandria- which kills me every single time I hear it.

I know these guys never read the threads,
but I know I'm not alone in sayin' that is a sonic pleasure to hear these three guitarists jam together-

I hope they keep on the path to Rock Guitar Glory!
:>
Old August 16th 2011, 05:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

yea chris is great at lead..great chops and really clean playing. really impressive how cleanly he plays the solos in rope and long road to ruin. check out Aint it the life at the tabernacle in 2001...he plays slide guitar in that..its much slower and that solo sounds really amazing, very beautiful playing.
Old August 16th 2011, 06:13 PM

Andy McKee
Old October 6th 2011, 10:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

They are all great guitar players. Chris has such a clean melodic feel when playing guitar and Pat just rips on anything. However, the best guitarist in my opinion, has got to be Dave. He writes so many songs we all know and love and that for me is more impressive than any guitarist who thinks that they have to solo like crazy to impress. Personaly, I prefer a guitarist who can write great songs, not just one off songs, but consistently write songs that you would want to hear over and over again (timeless) and Dave can do just that.
Old October 6th 2011, 10:44 PM
my tits are also out for Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back & Forth View Post
They are all great guitar players. Chris has such a clean melodic feel when playing guitar and Pat just rips on anything. However, the best guitarist in my opinion, has got to be Dave. He writes so many songs we all know and love and that for me is more impressive than any guitarist who thinks that they have to solo like crazy to impress. Personaly, I prefer a guitarist who can write great songs, not just one off songs, but consistently write songs that you would want to hear over and over again (timeless) and Dave can do just that.
You're describing a songwriter though not a guitarist. The guitar just happens to be the instrument Dave writes most of his songs with. In terms of just pure talent playing the instrument it's Chris over Dave without a doubt.
Old October 6th 2011, 11:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
You're describing a songwriter though not a guitarist. The guitar just happens to be the instrument Dave writes most of his songs with. In terms of just pure talent playing the instrument it's Chris over Dave without a doubt.
Yea, sorry, I kind of went off topic. In regards of technical ability, i agree that Chris is the better player of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
The guitar just happens to be the instrument Dave writes most of his songs with.

Guitar is the instument that Chris and Dave are being compared with, that's why I kinda thought more about a guitarist putting his or her musical idea's into realitly on a guitar rather than just technical ability.
Old October 26th 2011, 01:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back & Forth View Post
To be fair, you can't compare the songwriting abilities (in the Foo Fighters anyway) as Chris has never had the chance to write songs for the Foos, Dave writes all the music.

On the overall guitar playing, Chris is better. But my views may also be subject to bias because Chris plays the more complex leads whilst Dave/Pat play rhythm.
Old October 27th 2011, 12:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

They're different,I couldn't decide so easily,everyone's the best in his own playground and style;
FFs has the 3 top guitarists in last 10 years' r'n'r and pop scene.
It's impossible to say one or the other is best.
Old October 27th 2011, 09:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad8975 View Post
To be fair, you can't compare the songwriting abilities (in the Foo Fighters anyway) as Chris has never had the chance to write songs for the Foos, Dave writes all the music.

On the overall guitar playing, Chris is better. But my views may also be subject to bias because Chris plays the more complex leads whilst Dave/Pat play rhythm.

Yea, I can see why the roles within the band make it hard to decide. You could say Dave is the best because of his song writing on guitar, but that's probably because Chris doesn't get a chance to write songs like you said. On the other side you could say Chris is the best technicaly, but then he is the lead guitarist, so he gets to showcase his ability more than Dave or Pat.

Either way, they're both awesome!