Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 18th 2014, 12:31 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Default Re: Realistic Setlist Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
I think Metallica does a pretty good job with their sets. They have a handful they play every time, like Puppets, Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy, and a few others, but then they rotate a bunch of other songs in and out.
One, Nothing Else Matters, Sad But True. Those 6 would be the absolute staple songs you always here (unless they are doing a specific weird tour).

For the Foos, I'd personally say the staples:

Pretender
Best of You
Learn To Fly
Everlong
My Hero
Times Like These
Monkey Wrench
This Is A Call
All My Life

Those songs should always be expected - they are the "defining" songs of the band (like those of Metallica above) and most likely the ones a casual/new fan would want to be hearing.

That leaves around 13-15 more songs (assuming a 22-24 song setlist)
  • 4-5 from the new album
  • 5-6 songs from their "regulars" list - songs which are well known but not quite the absolute must haves on every setlist - the Hey, JP, I'll Stick Around, Aurora, Long Road To Ruin level of song. They've probably got around 15 of those - pick from that list and vary at different shows
  • 1-2 deeper cuts - from a list of, say, 5 of the stuff. I don't really mean obscure B-sides, but album tracks they don't throw out often, especially from the older albums
  • 1-2 covers (changed up regularly from either new ones or their catalogue)

So, on any given large tour, they would probably only need to know maybe 40 songs. The trick is just to mix up the choice outside the given "top 10" a little more.

It's not really much of a shift from what they do at the moment, just a bit more variation in the "lesser-known" side of things.
Old December 18th 2014, 01:15 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyroo View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only one who loved Halo!
I like it, would be quite happy to see it live.

Was very happy to see Wattershed on the last arena tour, so I wouldn't have a problem with seeing that again.

Old December 18th 2014, 04:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I'd love for them to do some 'deep cuts' from TINLTL. Headwires, MIA, Gimme Stitches. Even cooler, but more unrealistic, would be a b-side like Podunk. I saw them play it back in 95 in Hollywood, but it would be killer to hear it with 3 guitars and T on drums.

Otherwise, I agree about dropping some of the covers. They sound great, but I'd much rather have that time dedicated to their own songs.
Old December 18th 2014, 08:15 PM
See yall at Telenor Arena!

I'd actually love to hear Come alive or Let it die. Wind up would be awesome!!
I know it's not likely at all, but i'd probably cry if they played February stars. It's such an underrated song. And dear god, PLEASE! I NEED them to play I Am A River! Imagine how good it's gonna sound live!?

And I really hope they avoid Razor... Sure, it's a beatifull song and all, but it's kind off a mood breaker.

Last edited by SynneS : December 18th 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old December 18th 2014, 10:12 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

I know I am in the minority but I could do without Pretender and All My Life....and also the long breakdowns a la Monkey Wrench. Back in the day I think Alone + Easy Target always had an extended break when played live. Just a disclaimer that I am not knocking the songs (I know they are huge hits), just my .02.

Curious to know what songs everyone else could "do without". Cue the numerous replies with Cold Day in the Sun...Ha!

I also agree with the request for more deep cuts from TINLTL and some of those old B sides.
Old December 19th 2014, 08:29 AM
Have you found your way around

I really could do without the covers,

Also the majority of the "jams" which make them sound like a high school band trying to be Rush or something - Stacked Actors and Monkey Wrench in particular. It used to be fun when there was just a surprise ending in My Hero (2002) but now it's just boring.

The "acoustic" / Dave solo - arrangement-thing in a rock show is something I'/0d rather not see. Skin & Bones, Wheels, TLT solo arrangement.. Boring.

I like Cold Day, but it was more fun in 2005 with Dave on drums and T on guitar /voc.

I'd rather see them play a solid well-thought out 2hr set with no covers and no fucking around with those "jams" than a bloated 3hrs show.

I'm old fashioned I know but the set structure on the 1x1 tour was really good. Now that they have even more "hits" they could really make everyone's face melt with a 16 - 20 song set rather than extend it close to 30 songs and 3hrs just for the sake of playing a long night. Everybody doean't have to play long shows like Springteen.
Old December 19th 2014, 12:35 PM
Make my way back home...

Wind Up is the best opener I've seen so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIL8Eel_oE
Old December 20th 2014, 02:29 AM
I'll Stick Around

It would also be great if they varied their set lists in "near cities" for us fans willing to drive to more than one show on a tour. I can't tell you how many times I've seen multiple shows on a tour and they are IDENTICAL.
Old December 20th 2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntofry View Post
It would also be great if they varied their set lists in "near cities" for us fans willing to drive to more than one show on a tour. I can't tell you how many times I've seen multiple shows on a tour and they are IDENTICAL.
Most bands are like that though. And yes, there is the occasional exceptions, although there can always be downsides to that too (more forgotten lyrics, lack of audience participation or consistent band interaction, etc.).
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old December 20th 2014, 03:43 AM

I'm keeping it realistic. I just want them to keep playing Bridge Burning.
Old December 20th 2014, 07:12 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

In Your Honor was such a great opener. They should definitely alternate from that and Bridge Burning from night to night.

Also, Bring back:

DOA
Have It All
Enough Space
Low
For All The Cows

And most of all bring back the mini acoustic set with Skin And Bones, My Hero (acoustic) and Walking After You

Many fans (including my sister) love this band for their softer songs and I'm sure they amongst the casual fans would enjoy their shows more if it were only 75% "screamy and loud"...I myself enjoy 90% screamy and loud from the Foos, just thinking about the general audience.