Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Sonic Highways
Yay! 72 65.45%
Nay! 18 16.36%
Sittin' on the fence 20 18.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 19th 2014, 11:34 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Sonic Highways - Yey or nay?

At first and maybe second listen, only a few tunes stood out, but... I am finding the more I listen, the more I am unable to get the songs outa my head. ...I'm about a year older than Dave G and have followed him / them from the start, and I am very fond of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th albums. This effort is more than worthwhile IMHO.

Dave is "the" musician of my generation. I just wish he woulda made a comedy / movie back in the early days...he is too funny.
Old December 21st 2014, 11:14 PM
Have you found your way around

Pretty amazing!
Old December 22nd 2014, 12:50 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Outside is my new favorite
Old December 22nd 2014, 01:10 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I agree with the former half, the more unquestionably obsessive fans, or 'hardcore support' will gobble anything up, though I don't think it's fair to say that anyone who doesn't like this album is a casual 'play the hits' fan, I both objectively don't like this album and would certainly request deep cuts, whilst the hits are wonderful to hear for the first time and I appreciate that's why they do it, I've seen them play a very similar set four times, and am hoping for something a little bit different at Wembley next year.
You've got no chance of this happening.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old December 22nd 2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
I wouldn't say no chance, the last time I saw them there they played Rock N' Roll and Ramble On with half of Led Zeppelin. That was a nice surprise.
Old December 22nd 2014, 02:44 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
you seem to know a lot based on your last responses around here. stating facts and knowing for sure about things that didn't happen yet.

share that knowledge why don't you.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old December 22nd 2014, 08:15 PM
Head down, always movin on and on and on

I remember somebody on this forum noticed that most of the newer fans love SH, while some of the long-time fans are taking a bit to warm up to it. I'm a newer fan and it's a yay for me.

I actually like all the songs on the album, In The Clear is the most generic Foo song even with the horns, but there's nothing wrong with that. I really like WDID/GAMW, but I wish it didn't fade out. I warmed up to Subterranean. The rest I thought were really good, Outside being the best.

One Tribe One Family
Old December 23rd 2014, 12:32 AM

something from nothing and TFATF got me excited when I first heard them, then as the songs got slowly released I felt a bit disappointed. saying that on the last few listens its grown on me, not my favourite album by any means, but I've grown to appreciate the songs for what they are and not for what I expected them to be.
Old January 22nd 2015, 04:04 PM
Hey Everybody! Come see how good I look.

I've just got round to listening all the way through and honestly, it's just really not very good. Not one single stand out song or anything that held my attention for more than a minute. It's the worst one I think and that's saying something considering ESPG exists. It's like they've forgotten there are other words to rhyme with other than loose, choose, noose etc.

I love the sentiment behind it, but sadly that did not equal an album worth listening to and that makes me sad. Foo Fighters used to be a huge part of my life.
Old January 22nd 2015, 08:10 PM
Visiting is pretty...

This entire project is groundbreaking. I don't care if the music is "popular" with the radio market. It's deeper than that.

The scope of this entire project is documenting something spectacular, music history.

Flip Side - a lost concept.
Old January 23rd 2015, 01:44 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Do you think that liking Sonic Highways is reflective of how well you know the cities the songs were created? I love FATF and is that due to the fact that I grew up in Virginia (very near where Dave grew up and at the same time he did)and so the song reflects part of my history? I also love I am a River because I currently reside in NY. In contrast, I love Outside because of the way it sounds and the feeling it evokes but I have never been to LA...thoughts?
I guess that is what makes art art--effects everyone in a different way.
Old January 26th 2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

Nay. I think they've been entirely hit n miss since tnltl. I like other songs from other albums but don't think they're solid all the way through anymore, the alternative feel to the band is gone and that's a turnoff for me. I kinds like subterranean but that's it.
Old January 26th 2015, 04:59 PM

After the first listens I was strongly nay.

I have now tried to give this album a fair chance weekly since then,

But no, this is just a bad album IMO. I just can't listen through it. There's been bad songs on FF albums before but this time even the better ones are awful knowing what the band has been capable of.

We need the DG solo album.

Last edited by Foo3001 : January 26th 2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 26th 2015, 05:23 PM
The Sidekick

Honestly I think what would be good for them is a break. A real one, 4-5 years of absolutely no FF work. So they could come back and REALLY enjoy playing FF stuff again, not get burnt out and find covers more fun.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 26th 2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Honestly I think what would be good for them is a break. A real one, 4-5 years of absolutely no FF work. So they could come back and REALLY enjoy playing FF stuff again, not get burnt out and find covers more fun.
Sad to say but IMO their records have gotten worse as more people have gotten more involved in the records.

Now there's two guitarists (plus DG), Rami, Taylor obviously has had a huge influence on the band, plus Butch seems to be closer to the band and more involved in the process than some of the previous producers.

The best ones were the 3 or 4 first ones when it was mostly DG. But bands change, this is the FF in 2015, a huge stadium-status act , not the bunch of friends who didnt give a fuck and wanted just to make good music. I remember an interview where they discussed TINTL, and one of the things said was something in the line of "we listened to the rough mixes and just couldnt wait for all the people to hear it, its so good" . Thats the feeling DG needs to get back, not to make up crazy ideas HOW he could make a record that wouldnt bore him but WHY make a record. The "why" should be the music first, the record should not be some spin off from a tv series.
Old January 30th 2015, 01:14 PM

Album remains a big Yay for me. In the Clear is still the weakest for me but I even like that one a lot more now.

I've already over-played this one ... next!
Old January 30th 2015, 02:08 PM

Nay.

I've barely listened to it since it came out, so for me it's not a keeper. It's time for them to try something new for a next album, even if that alienates some fans. New as in a different sound, not some crazy album concept idea that doesn't have a lot to do with the music. But I don't know if Dave Grohl can pull that off... he's a great musician, but as a songwriter I'm not so sure... he's been doing the same thing forever now. I hope I'm wrong
Old January 30th 2015, 02:16 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I still love the album.

Maybe everything's not immediately catchy in the sense that WL and TCATS were, but I found the thoughtful approach definitely created a new Foo experience: a true album with no real singles.

Old January 30th 2015, 04:19 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Still yay for me too. I'm still just enjoying listening to the tracks.
Old January 30th 2015, 09:56 PM
my tits are also out for Simon

I haven't listened to the album in weeks. I listen to Outside and play it on guitar quiet regularly, but other than that one song I'm pretty much done with this album. Big nay.