Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 13th 2015, 12:59 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Sonic Highways the album - discussion thread

Only rarely (when I remember the album exists) I listen to:

Something From Nothing,
Feast and the Famine,
Outside,
Subterranean (which I still think should have been a rocker)

I hope they don't do another gimmick for the next one, but that's sounding more and more unlikely.

Musically, it isn't that far from Wasting Light, and yet I really like WL. Maybe it's because Back & Forth came out with it, which reignited my love for the band I had given up on after ESPG...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old April 13th 2015, 10:39 PM
Ready on your mark

From Twitter: "@henri_veronica snaps #foofighters bassist #natemendel who says there may be more #sonichighways eps w/ diff band."

So Sonic Highways: The Franchise...?

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old April 13th 2015, 11:46 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Musically, it isn't that far from Wasting Light, and yet I really like WL. Maybe it's because Back & Forth came out with it, which reignited my love for the band I had given up on after ESPG...
Wasting Light is really fucking good, probably my second favorite FF record. It just comes down to the songwriting. Good songs, no gimmicks (at least none that interfered with the actual songs).

SH at its best (the songs you named) doesn't really come close to WL at its best (White Limo, Rope, Bridge Burning). It's unfortunate, but I hope they've still got another WL level album in them.
Old April 14th 2015, 05:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrichards View Post
Wasting Light is really fucking good, probably my second favorite FF record. It just comes down to the songwriting. Good songs, no gimmicks (at least none that interfered with the actual songs).

SH at its best (the songs you named) doesn't really come close to WL at its best (White Limo, Rope, Bridge Burning). It's unfortunate, but I hope they've still got another WL level album in them.
I understand your point and not sure I entirely agree. WL is a more cohesive whole but I find there to be an equal number of songs on SH that can go toe to toe with anything on WL. I find myself actually enjoying the SH songs more by themselves. I don't find some of the WL songs to hold up as well on their own and work better as part of the album for me.

Whenever I listen to WL it is from beginning to end. SH, I tend to listen to my favorite tracks and never quite enjoy the entire journey of the album so much.
Old April 15th 2015, 11:25 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

I loved (still love) listening to WL. Personally, I think that the quality of SH songs kind of fits in the middle of those songs - the stronger songs from WL are better than the stronger songs on SH, and the weakest ones are weaker than those on SH.

Old April 15th 2015, 05:30 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I loved (still love) listening to WL. Personally, I think that the quality of SH songs kind of fits in the middle of those songs - the stronger songs from WL are better than the stronger songs on SH, and the weakest ones are weaker than those on SH.
Agreed on the weaker songs.

I do think Something From Nothing, Congregation, Outside, and even What Did I Do?...are equal to the strong songs on WL.

I think Walk is a great song, but don't really enjoy it. Otherwise, Bridge Burning, Rope, Dear Rosemary, These Days and Arlandria are the go to songs for me. SH needs three more songs to equally compare.
Old April 16th 2015, 08:23 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Agreed on the weaker songs.

I do think Something From Nothing, Congregation, Outside, and even What Did I Do?...are equal to the strong songs on WL.

I think Walk is a great song, but don't really enjoy it. Otherwise, Bridge Burning, Rope, Dear Rosemary, These Days and Arlandria are the go to songs for me. SH needs three more songs to equally compare.
I'd probably put Back and Forth and Matter of Time below them, Bridge Burning, Arlandria and I Should Have Known ahead of them, and then they'd kind if be mixed in with the rest.

Old April 16th 2015, 07:08 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Back and Forth, Miss The Misery and A Matter Of Time, those three songs together are a bit of a dip for me on Wasting Light, but other than that I think only Feast and the Famine and Outside can compare to the other songs on Wasting Light. I still prefer the three songs I mentioned from Wasting Light to the rest of Sonic Highways.
Old April 16th 2015, 07:45 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I'd probably put Back and Forth and Matter of Time below them, Bridge Burning, Arlandria and I Should Have Known ahead of them, and then they'd kind if be mixed in with the rest.
Agreed on Back and Forth and Matter of Time, those are my bottom 2 off of Wasting Light....and pretty much the only tracks that I don't enjoy off of that album.
Old April 17th 2015, 09:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

I agree that Back & Forth is rather weak but I think A Matter of Time and Miss The Misery are highlights of Wasting Light. Weakest track is definitely These Days.
Old April 18th 2015, 12:35 PM
I'll Stick Around

So basically there is something for everyone in both albums. WL just has a bit more.

Agree with most in the "worst" of WL, but I'm not a big fan of Feast and These Days is probably just after Rope for me. Go figure.
Old April 18th 2015, 05:25 PM
I'll Stick Around

My tickets for Sunderland arrived the other day, so I gave Sonic Highways another spin in the car, struggled to listen to any songs other than Something, Feast, Congregation and In The Clear.. the rest.. I found myself skipping..
09/14 - HOV - London (OMFG) 09/14 - London 05/15 - Sunderland
06/15 - Edinburgh 06/15 - Glastonbury 09/15 - Milton Keynes
09/15 - Edinburgh 11/15 - Amsterdam 11/15 - Cologne
06/17 - Glastonbury 07/17 - Paris 09/17 - London
06/18 - Antwerp 06/18 - London 06/18 - London
08/19 - Glasgow 08/19 - Reading
Old April 25th 2015, 06:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I really don't understand how anyone can say that Foo Fighters haven't evolved. Every album has a different sound and feel to it. They can do hard songs and soft, without coming off as corny. I think a lot of the criticism about "not being experimental enough" has to do with the fact that they always sound good. It's like people want them to "experiment" in such a way that they are difficult to listen to (such as Radiohead). Also, the way they blend different sounds and instruments in their songs is far more complex than just about anything I hear in popular music today. The only criticisms I have for Sonic Highways is I'd like to have seen three more songs. I also thought "I Am a River" was very repetitive. If it were about three minutes shorter, I'd consider it a great song. As it is, it's still good.

Last edited by wilder22 : April 25th 2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old April 25th 2015, 10:08 PM
Run for your life with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilder22 View Post
I really don't understand how anyone can say that Foo Fighters haven't evolved. Every album has a different sound and feel to it. They can do hard songs and soft, without coming off as corny. I think a lot of the criticism about "not being experimental enough" has to do with the fact that they always sound good. It's like people want them to "experiment" in such a way that they are difficult to listen to (such as Radiohead). Also, the way they blend different sounds and instruments in their songs is far more complex than just about anything I hear in popular music today. The only criticisms I have for Sonic Highways is I'd like to have seen three more songs. I also thought "I Am a River" was very repetitive. If it were about three minutes shorter, I'd consider it a great song. As it is, it's still good.
Totally agree. Love the album. Think it is great.
Old April 26th 2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I really don't understand how anyone can say that Foo Fighters haven't evolved. Every album has a different sound and feel to it. They can do hard songs and soft, without coming off as corny. I think a lot of the criticism about "not being experimental enough" has to do with the fact that they always sound good. It's like people want them to "experiment" in such a way that they are difficult to listen to (such as Radiohead).
A different feel doesn't mean a band is evolving musically or changing musical direction, that's something else. I don't hear that myself anyway, but that's also a matter of opinion. And it's not like they haven't changed at all, they just haven't evolved as much as many other bands that have been around for so long, and that's a very fair statement I would say. But anyway, enough valid comments have been made in this thread already on this subject, so I won't repeat all of them.

Quote:
I think a lot of the criticism about "not being experimental enough" has to do with the fact that they always sound good. It's like people want them to "experiment" in such a way that they are difficult to listen to (such as Radiohead).
No offence, but this doesn't really make a lot of sense. When a band starts experimenting I don't want them to become ''difficult'' to listen to, as you put it. I just want them to try something else musically speaking.
Old April 26th 2015, 04:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Try something different? How do they not sound different today compared to the 90's and early 2000's? Echoes vs. Wasting Light...those are two vastly different albums, and they both have come over the last 8 years. Sonic Highways had stylistic changes, both musically and lyrically, from their earlier work. The music on the album was more complex than earlier work, blending different instruments in unique ways while attacking lyrics from a new perspective. And these bands that have evolved so much over the last twenty years...explain, exactly, what they've done that is so different and evolutionary, and then tell me if the band is still relevant. Billy Corgan claims his music has evolved...yeah, it's evolved into a mess that is not tolerable to listen to, and people walk out on his concerts. People always talk about how Radiohead is so different. All their albums, musically and lyrically, seems like the same melodramatic garble to me. Personally, I prefer Foo Fighters approach. They keep their same trademark sound but approach it in varying ways. Subtle differences, while not trying to completely change who you are as a band to meet expectations of music critics, is a very intelligent approach, and Dave Grohl and company are doing their job as well, if not better, than anyone else in the music business right now.
Old April 26th 2015, 05:47 PM

^On the previous pages I gave my opinion on this matter already several times and explained why for me they haven't evolved as much as a lot of other bands that I love... and I also gave examples of other bands. I'm not going to re-type all of that again, so you can read back if you want to know my opinion... it's all in this thread.

What I've also said is that in no way it's a bad thing what the Foo Fighters are doing... I would have liked to see them evolve a bit more myself, but that's just my perspective... they should do whatever makes them happy. I know a lot of fans are glad that the band never went through a drastic change with their music and probably never will, as Nate recently mentioned in an interview. And that's fine too. Each to their own
Old April 26th 2015, 06:09 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I've read your posts, and you aren't specific at all in what you mean. You name drop other bands who you think "evolved", but you don't give specific examples of how they've done so. You also can't explain your perceived lack of evolution from Foo Fighters. You did say they follow the same formula with each album, and, honestly, I can sort of see that, but what you don't seem to give them credit for is taking that basic template and constantly spinning it in subtly different ways. "Rope" and "Everlong" both have a similar template, but to say those two songs don't show an evolution of a band is ridiculous. "Home" and "White Limo" are as about as diverse as a band can get. If anything, I can understand someone saying that they aren't that innovative, in the sense that they try things that no band has ever done before (though, the concept with the making of Sonic Highways is the first of its kind, I believe, and aside from The Beatles, I don't think anyone you mentioned has been truly innovative in their musical approach either), but to say that they haven't evolved and tried new things within their own music is just flat out wrong.
Old April 26th 2015, 06:28 PM

Maybe we have a different perception of evolving musically? To get back on your previous post for a second, you are very subjective and that's alright, but just because you don't like the Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead's new sound doesn't mean no one does... and a band being relevant or not doesn't have a lot to do with evolving musically either.

I'll try to explain what I meant once more. There are a lot of bands who have been around for over ten years and when you listen to albums from early on and later on in their career you can hear a very different band... I can give examples of the RHCP, Radiohead, Silverchair, Soul Asylum... I can go one because there are so many, but these are the first names that come to mind right now.

When I listen to 90s Foo Fighters and then to Wasting Light or Sonic Highways, I hear more or less the same band. I hear not even half as many differences as with a lot of other bands that have been around for so long. I never said that they haven't changed at all, but musically speaking it's not THAT different... right? And as I said several times... that's fine. They just don't seem to be the kind of band that goes into a very different musical direction or start experimenting like a lot of other bands do. I never meant to imply that it's a bad thing, merely that I as a fan would have liked to see that, and with me many others because many reviews on Sonic Highways stated the same thing... but that's all opinion. You don't have to agree.
Old April 26th 2015, 07:16 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Bands don't have to all go in the same direction, most will do what suits them and that's fine. I agree that I don't think they've particularly 'evolved' as a band, but I still enjoy what they're recording.