Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 5th 2017, 03:43 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Run - New Foo Fighers song!

Man, I love this song. It wasn't an instant love like some more immediate first singles like All My Life and The Pretender, but it's such a grower. To me it sounds like a slightly different direction, and I have high hopes for the album to undo the sins of Sonic Highways. I haven't heard such a pleasing mix of heavy and slow from them since Let It Die.
Old June 5th 2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What sort of change would you be hoping for/expecting? Prog-Rock? Folk-Rock? Electropunk?
To be honest, I wasn't even hoping for a particular sound, just curious to see what Dave would come up with if he stepped away from the more traditional Foo Fighters sound.

The song ''Statues'' for example, is in my opinion one of the finer moments on ESP&G, a little bit orchestral and different but still with a good melody. I really don't expect them to be like Silverchair, Radiohead, or even the RHCP with the ''By The Way'' album, but I wouldn't mind an album without heavy guitar riffs and a lot of screams for once because that's on every Foo Fighters album to date. But rather something more mellow, orchestral, maybe even jazzy, without it being an acoustic album. I'm not a fan of electronic music at all, but I would commend Dave for doing that, too, just for getting out of his comfort zone for once.
Old June 5th 2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid mourner View Post
To be honest, I wasn't even hoping for a particular sound, just curious to see what Dave would come up with if he stepped away from the more traditional Foo Fighters sound.

The song ''Statues'' for example, is in my opinion one of the finer moments on ESP&G, a little bit orchestral and different but still with a good melody. I really don't expect them to be like Silverchair, Radiohead, or even the RHCP with the ''By The Way'' album, but I wouldn't mind an album without heavy guitar riffs and a lot of screams for once because that's on every Foo Fighters album to date. But rather something more mellow, orchestral, maybe even jazzy, without it being an acoustic album. I'm not a fan of electronic music at all, but I would commend Dave for doing that, too, just for getting out of his comfort zone for once.
That is Foo Fighters, though. That's why you see that kind of music on every Foo Fighters album. Dude is almost 50, and he loves what he does. I wouldn't expect any orchestral jazz from him. Especially not under the Foo Fighters brand.

It's hard to 'give things a go' and creatively mess around when you're fronting an institution, also. When you're as famous as Dave, everything you do will have so much reach and potential for scrutiny. It's why (I feel) Sonic Highways ended up playing it so safe. I can understand why you would want to be confident in what you're putting out to (almost literally) the whole world, though, and the guy knows what he's good at.

Last edited by Josh : June 5th 2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old June 5th 2017, 04:53 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:

This. I'm with this, but I wouldn't say it would be experimental, maybe the word experimental is forcing it too much.

Melodic Foo is the best Foo, they shine. But they don't show it off, it's possibly the only bad side of Dave, he loves to show off what people want him to show off, the stadium anthemic rockers. I don't think they like pushing the soft ones for the masses. But when they did, they failed miserably, because people don't care for it (Resolve).

But yeah, I like what you said. Also, as I say it on every new recording, I wish he'd let Chris and Nate give more input, but that's just not how this works.
Old June 5th 2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Also, as I say it on every new recording, I wish he'd let Chris and Nate give more input, but that's just not how this works.
I do agree, but I choose to think that maybe if Nate wasn't held back so much within Foo Fighters creatively, the fantastic Lieutenant might not have built up and burst from him. It's a gorgeous record.

I feel like I hear more distinctly Chris sounding parts in recent Foo Fighters records. The lead parts in the chorus to Run sound very Chris, for example.
Old June 5th 2017, 06:04 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I do agree, but I choose to think that maybe if Nate wasn't held back so much within Foo Fighters creatively, the fantastic Lieutenant might not have built up and burst from him. It's a gorgeous record.
Really?
I had the complete opposite feeling when I heard it: "and there's the reason why Dave won't let'em expand too much".

I pre-ordered LT, was excited for it, and gave it two or three spins. It was most definitley not for me. I do appreciate it for what it is, and have huge respect for him, he's my fave foo! But, just nope.

Chris on the other hand, Jackson United recorded some AMAZING pop-punk songs on their EP and Western Ballads (She's Giving In, Sharp Edges!!) it'd be interesting to have him get more input (rock input, also have no interest on his honky tonk country stuff).
Old June 5th 2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
That is Foo Fighters, though. That's why you see that kind of music on every Foo Fighters album. Dude is almost 50, and he loves what he does. I wouldn't expect any orchestral jazz from him. Especially not under the Foo Fighters brand.

It's hard to 'give things a go' and creatively mess around when you're fronting an institution, also. When you're as famous as Dave, everything you do will have so much reach and potential for scrutiny. It's why (I feel) Sonic Highways ended up playing it so safe. I can understand why you would want to be confident in what you're putting out to (almost literally) the whole world, though, and the guy knows what he's good at.
I don't expect that either, just saying I'd be curious to hear that. I know most Foo fans want the melodic rock songs with the cool riff and something they can sing along to. I like that too, I just wouldn't mind hearing an album in a different direction for once.

Maybe you're right about being confident, but a true artist doesn't care about expectations and does whatever is in their heart. Not saying that the Foos would rather do something different, I'm sure they are doing what they want.

I think a musician shouldn't let fame or popularity get in the way of wanting to experiment or doing something different. Not every band plays it safe. In 1996 the Smashing Pumpkins were one of the biggest rock bands in the world, but instead of making another Mellon Collie, Billy responded with something very different and it wasn't as successful because he didn't give the fans what they wanted from him. Heavy angry rock songs. Same thing with Radiohead after OK Computer, they didn't care about milking the success and making another OK Computer kind of record. And there are so many examples of bands that changed direction even if that meant losing some fans. And that's how it should be... they're musicians, not business men.

Last edited by paid mourner : June 5th 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old June 5th 2017, 06:23 PM
Normal

Played it on BBC radio 1 today
Old June 5th 2017, 06:35 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
did you? ...never knew you were a DJ on Radio 1. sick

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old June 5th 2017, 06:57 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
Girl of many talents!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old June 5th 2017, 07:29 PM
Normal

Quote:
Old June 5th 2017, 07:38 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
sorry babes

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old June 5th 2017, 08:21 PM

Been listening to this more times than any other FF single since BOY,

For some reason I get a strong Million Dollar Demo / 1X1 vibe from the track,

It has the same melodic signature they had at that time (especially the "in another perfect life" - part), the guitar solo background is really "Low" like, it sounds a bit like 1M demos production-wise and has the slickness that was lost on 1X1, dunno if it was a good thing or not.

But yeah this sounds like a lost chapter of the FF timeline, a great track!
Old June 5th 2017, 08:25 PM
Normal

Quote:
sorry babes
I forgive you. I always do
Old June 5th 2017, 08:26 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
I forgive you. I always do

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old June 5th 2017, 09:16 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Yes but was it the awful radio edit ?

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old June 5th 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Really?
I had the complete opposite feeling when I heard it: "and there's the reason why Dave won't let'em expand too much".

I pre-ordered LT, was excited for it, and gave it two or three spins. It was most definitley not for me. I do appreciate it for what it is, and have huge respect for him, he's my fave foo! But, just nope.

Chris on the other hand, Jackson United recorded some AMAZING pop-punk songs on their EP and Western Ballads (She's Giving In, Sharp Edges!!) it'd be interesting to have him get more input (rock input, also have no interest on his honky tonk country stuff).
Haha! I love it. That's absolutely fair enough To each their own! it's very soft-rock so I get how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I love Jackson United also! didn't think too much of the Dead Peasants. Would love some more surfer rock from him. Western Ballads was totally my favourite.

I love the Coattail Riders too. I shamefully haven't heard Taylor's new album despite loving the first single. It's great that we get so much music from this bunch.

Last edited by Josh : June 5th 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old June 5th 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I don't expect that either, just saying I'd be curious to hear that. I know most Foo fans want the melodic rock songs with the cool riff and something they can sing along to. I like that too, I just wouldn't mind hearing an album in a different direction for once.

Maybe you're right about being confident, but a true artist doesn't care about expectations and does whatever is in their heart. Not saying that the Foos would rather do something different, I'm sure they are doing what they want.

I think a musician shouldn't let fame or popularity get in the way of wanting to experiment or doing something different. Not every band plays it safe. In 1996 the Smashing Pumpkins were one of the biggest rock bands in the world, but instead of making another Mellon Collie, Billy responded with something very different and it wasn't as successful because he didn't give the fans what they wanted from him. Heavy angry rock songs. Same thing with Radiohead after OK Computer, they didn't care about milking the success and making another OK Computer kind of record. And there are so many examples of bands that changed direction even if that meant losing some fans. And that's how it should be... they're musicians, not business men.
You're totally right to be honest. A true artist doesn't care about expectations. But I think it's easier to say that when you're not as established in rock as Dave, or especially as old as he is now. Imagine being 50 and being asked to make Kid A after 10 rock albums. I think things like 'Statues' or 'Virginia Moon' are the most different things we'll ever get from Foo Fighters, and it's better to just make peace with that, appreciate that they give us what few other bands can and look for other bands for other kinds of albums. Like Radiohead <3

Maybe 20 years ago it would have been more realistic to ask for something completely different, because let's not forget just how different Kid A is from OK Computer, or how much it is Radiohead's thing of changing with each album, as much as it is Dave's thing, Foo Fighters or otherwise, to give us heavy melodic rock most of the time.

To be honest I've never thought of Dave as an 'artist' per se, like I would Thom Yorke. I see him more of a workhorse rock and roller, which is great. He's never expressed any interest in wanting to deviate far from what he does best, which was the basis of starting Foo Fighters, so it's not like he's limiting himself in what he wants to do. They've never been an ambitious band, but like Wolverine, have always been great at what they do. To paraphrase him after being criticised for continuing with grunge after Nirvana, 'What was I going to do? start a jazz band? I play rock and roll'.

Last edited by Josh : June 5th 2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old June 6th 2017, 03:00 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah that's the line I had originally, then decided on what I put above. I'm guessing they just read my interpretation or just came to the same conclusion, I doubt they had an official line on it.
Oh well crap - I thought maybe they must have sourced it officially..
Old June 6th 2017, 03:44 AM
Ready on your mark

I got a notification that the FF YouTube channel uploaded a 'Run' audio clip but it's either private or been deleted.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018