Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 24th 2007, 08:43 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Foo & HIV ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock'n'grohl View Post
It may be their first post, but i don't think its an auto spam.
I think they just came across an old article about Nate supporting all those organisations, and got angry.
Yeah thats fair enough, the only reason i say that is because i've seen it pother times in various places
Old August 24th 2007, 01:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Truthfully, I have not seen them promote Alive and Well since it was originally put on the There is Nothing Left to Lose website. Nate was very involved at one point but I have seen nothing in 7 years here to promote it.

It was the one sticking point I had with the band because I too, think it's a crock of shit.

I have had close family friends lose two brothers and her son from AIDS. It's a horrific epidemic and people should be smart about how they chose to get treated.

That said, I don't think you need to be quite as angry as you are at the band. I would save the anger towards Christine M. and the bullshit she spreads about AIDS and HIV.

To you losers that want to joke about this subject, get the fuck out of this thread and go to Foo Free. Have some respect and compassion.

Assholes.
Right on! I have familly with AIDS, treatment is the only way to go. my familly member almost died because of lack of treatment. It would be nice if something like HIV and AIDS could be cured just by ignoring it. use protection and get tested ppl getting the virus early could be de difference of 20+ years. science is making huge strides in the fight against AIDS and i'm confident that we will se a cure or vaccine in our life time.

I hope the posters keeps her good health untill that day comes.
Old August 24th 2007, 05:00 PM
Look for the helpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo View Post
The Foo Fighters are more like Foo Biters in their knowledge (lack) of HIV and their support for people like Christine M, whose child died from AIDS.
I am HIV positive & I believed the bull about the HIV lie & HIV does not cause AIDS etc. I was sooo happy to think I didn't really have it, of course. The denial was so strong it blinded me to the fact that my immune system was taking a beating from the HIV (I took no drugs, legal or not, nor alcohol, ate well, slept good, did yoga, meditation, vitamins, relaxation etc etc)
Finally I ended up in hospital - the virus was at very high levels and my T- cells very low. The doctors recommended hiv medications - SHOCK!! I didn't want to take them, AIDS Denialists told me they kill you, or make you sick. But I was on the edge so I did take them & GUESS WHAT?? 5 years later I am alive & well, fighting fit, work full time, eat well, shit great, clear skin, thick hair, hot bod. No side effects. Oh & the virus is undetectable in my blood & my T cells are rockin'.............go figure.
A word to you all - check the FACTS before you believe anything. Personally, I go on my own experience & that of 1000s of others. The fact remains that deaths from HIV decrease massively when people get effective treatment.
And DO use condoms, The Foo are good at music but have no medical credibility whatsoever. If I hadn't taken those drugs in hospital I probably would be 6 feet under by now, and that has actually happened to people more stubborn & frightened than me.
AIDS denialists have blood on their hands! Wake up & think for yourselves!!
We know. dont worry, i dont think any of us follow the ideas that they (mainly nate) believe. also, this is years old. nate personally came on the board to duscuss it. its old news and the foos have distanced itsself from it.

also, i'm not even sure the band regularly check the site, so they may not see your comment.

I'm glad you're doing well.

Last edited by Sarah UK : August 24th 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old August 24th 2007, 07:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

I read this a few days ago when i was looking at the page dedicated to Nate at Wikipedia and thought "What?!" I had never heard of this and was quite shocked about it for two reasons: because it might be true and because i think that it's very risky for a rockband to get into this all. However, I don't know a lot about the subject, but what if it's true?
Good thing that Maryjo decided to take the drugs, otherwise she might not have been here anymore.
Old August 24th 2007, 09:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
The Foo Fighters are more like Foo Biters in their knowledge (lack) of HIV and their support for people like Christine M, whose child died from AIDS.
I am HIV positive & I believed the bull about the HIV lie & HIV does not cause AIDS etc. I was sooo happy to think I didn't really have it, of course. The denial was so strong it blinded me to the fact that my immune system was taking a beating from the HIV (I took no drugs, legal or not, nor alcohol, ate well, slept good, did yoga, meditation, vitamins, relaxation etc etc)
Finally I ended up in hospital - the virus was at very high levels and my T- cells very low. The doctors recommended hiv medications - SHOCK!! I didn't want to take them, AIDS Denialists told me they kill you, or make you sick. But I was on the edge so I did take them & GUESS WHAT?? 5 years later I am alive & well, fighting fit, work full time, eat well, shit great, clear skin, thick hair, hot bod. No side effects. Oh & the virus is undetectable in my blood & my T cells are rockin'.............go figure.
A word to you all - check the FACTS before you believe anything. Personally, I go on my own experience & that of 1000s of others. The fact remains that deaths from HIV decrease massively when people get effective treatment.
And DO use condoms, The Foo are good at music but have no medical credibility whatsoever. If I hadn't taken those drugs in hospital I probably would be 6 feet under by now, and that has actually happened to people more stubborn & frightened than me.
I don't think it's a good or wrong matter here....
It's what everyone believes, there are strong theories about this no-need for medication (ever seen the movie-documentary "the Secret"?) and of course there are people who think the opposite. We are talking about the self-medication ability of human beings.... which... I'm afraid my friends... is STILL a big mystery to our race....(gorillas seem to know pretty much on that matter).

Anyhow... depending on your believes, you'll choose for one or an other, and I'm glad you made the right the decision for yourself but don't blame anyone for thinking differently and don't claim something bullshit just because you're going on your experience & that of 1000s of others, because I'm sure there are thousands of other people who still rock without (western) medication....
Let the Foo's believe what they want, they may just believe in stuff you don't.

By the way, just because someone doesn't accept the western pharmaceutical medication for AIDS as the only treatment, it does not make them AIDS denialists...my personal believe on that: "1 problem, 10 solutions (just don't know them yet)"

get going! and DO wake up and think for yourselves!
Old August 25th 2007, 12:50 AM
Banned

To start off I had no idea that the Foos (or Nate for that matter) thought this way. Honestly at first it saddened me. But after a few minutes I realized that if Nate thought that the American Government was behind 9/11 would I think less of him? (Totally not trying to start that debate, just using it as an analogy) No...it's his opinion. Do I personally agree with that opinion. No. Do I think that Nate will ever step up to the mic at a show and say to check out this organization's website. No. So best on him for his beliefs. He's more than allowed to think that. Should I chastise the band for their beliefs? (did republicans hate Dave for jumping on board Kerry's campaign? I'm going to assume not) So I'm willing to let them believe what they may. As all of you are allowed too.

I know I'm a bit off the original topic here. But wanted to put in my two cents.

Oh also Maryjo thank you for the update on your bowel movements. Could have gone with out that point.

Last edited by Cammy : August 25th 2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Wrong name in last line...sorry
Old August 25th 2007, 10:28 AM
I'll Stick Around

For those who don't know what this is all about, read this short article.

Personally I was shocked when I heard of that the first time and IMO if it's really true that the band is distancing theirselfes from "Alive and Well" in the meantime, they could at least remove the mentioned entry from their website.

Even though they probably don't check their own website and board very often, I'm sure they'll get feedback about important stuff from their staff.
Old August 25th 2007, 11:47 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
I deny that the common Flu exists. Shit, I now have much more blood on my hands than any HIVAIDS non-believer does.
Old August 25th 2007, 05:08 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

this is the first time i've even heard of the Alive & Well organization and it's association to the Foos (or more specifically to Nate or so i've been reading). i browsed around the Alive & Well site just to get a better idea of what everyone was talking about but there is just soo much information on there that it's impossible for me to read through it all now. so let me get this straight...this organization contends that HIV doesn't cause AIDS and that AIDS drugs and treatments don't help?
Old August 25th 2007, 06:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

All Alive & Well does is offer alternative ways of treatment. They're not telling you to ignore anything. They're giving you another option if you don't want to take the traditional load-your-body-up with medicine route. While I don't personally believe in alternative medicine, some people do, and it seems to make them happy. Let people choose for themselves.

I think some of these posts on here are a little misguided, and a little ignorant.
Old August 26th 2007, 11:05 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Your an actual prick
Old August 26th 2007, 01:08 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooage View Post
Your an actual prick
Wow, your talent to summarise this topic and its thread starter with four words is impressive!
Old August 26th 2007, 02:38 PM
Never knowing who to believe

So let me get this right...

You got HIV and chose to not get any treatment for it because the Foo Fighters support a fringe group that told you that you don't have to?

Old August 26th 2007, 02:43 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooage View Post
Your an actual prick
Did you not read what I said?

Look in the mirror, einstein. YOU'RE an actual prick.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old August 26th 2007, 09:08 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Did you not read what I said?

Look in the mirror, einstein. YOU'RE an actual prick.
Well said, Jill.

From a scientific standpoint, I admit that groups like Alive and Well scare me. NOT because they advocate thinking for yourself (I'm a big believer in the patient and not the doctor making decisions), but because it is, in the end simple denialism; they have no scientific data to back their claims. Having browsed the site and a few of Maggiores articles, they seem to be advocating some incredibly dangerous behaviours (e.g. unprotected sex), whether you believe the scientific literature or not.

The evidence for HIV causing AIDS symptoms is overwhelming, and in general, the drugs work. They do have significant (unpleasant) side effects, but on average they seem to be extending life expectancy from 10 years (after the initial infection), to 30-40 years. While i understand that this isn't really an appropriate forum for a detailed discussion of the issue, I would like to say congratulations to the original poster for her return to heath. Nobody likes being sick, and i hope your good health continues.
Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.
Albert Einstein, quoted in New York Times, March 13, 1940

Last edited by munchkinesque : August 26th 2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old August 26th 2007, 09:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I tend to disagree with the 'message' that groups like Alive and Well give out. However, I absolutely agree with the band's (and specifically Nate's) right to choose to support the group. They are not criticising anyone who chooses to seek treatment, they are not trying to force their opinions down anyone's throat. I don't agree with their standpoint on this issue- but I don't listen to the Foo Fighters to get their political opinions, I listen to them because they make excellent music!

To Maryjo - I wish you continued health and happiness.
Old August 28th 2007, 06:31 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I understand why people tend to distrust a drug industry who makes billions of dollars off people who are sick and who would lose money if people got well. However, the depth of denial of someone like the founder of Alive and Well is truly astounding. To this day she refuses to believe her daughter died of the AIDS virus she herself gave her.
Old August 28th 2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

I'm sorry about your experience Mary Jo but the thing about celebrities is, no matter how good their intentions are or how nice of people they are, at the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, they're pretty stupid. They're no smarter than you or me and most of the time they don't know what the hell they're talking about. Maybe they have friends that run the organization, I don't know. But I do know that I have never supported a cause because a rock band, or celebrity for that matter, told me to.

This reminds me of an episode of Judge Judy where the judge was talking to the defendant about cystic fibrosis and clearly stated that if the defendant had one son with CF his next one would too, and he therefore should not have any children. She's so fucking retarded! If that were the case my parents would have given up after me and I'd never have a little brother. So I know where you're coming from when celebrities with an audience spew "information" that is really harmful to the people affected by the condition they know nothing about.
Old August 28th 2007, 06:35 PM
I'll Stick Around

dave is a good guy
Old August 28th 2007, 07:53 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Seems like people are just joining to make this point, like this douche:

http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=100995

How long before someone else with a post count of 1 posts the same kind of thing? Haters.

Personally, I don't care what causes the band supports. Last time I checked, I had a mind of my own and I can make my own decisions. Just because a band I like has a link on their site, that doesn't mean I'll blindly follow them.