Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 28th 2007, 07:56 PM
Look for the helpers

Default Re: Foo & HIV ignorance

maybe there is a HIV/Aids help forum where nate's involvement was posted about? And dont call them a douche. i'd like to see how you are if you ever got AIDs/HIV and found out a pretty influential rock group were linked to it.

Last edited by Sarah UK : August 28th 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 28th 2007, 07:59 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

That's my point...I don't think that person really is who they say they are, they're just spouting random things that a person with HIV could have. They came to attack the band. Have they posted again since creating this thread? No. They came to stir shit and then they left.
Old August 28th 2007, 07:59 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

So what is this really about?
Old August 28th 2007, 08:06 PM
Look for the helpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
That's my point...I don't think that person really is who they say they are, they're just spouting random things that a person with HIV could have. They came to attack the band. Have they posted again since creating this thread? No. They came to stir shit and then they left.
hmmm.... i dont know. maybe we're reading the situation differently, but i just think that this person has taken a shocking acusation that could relate directly to his life and reacted.
Old August 28th 2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_uk View Post
hmmm.... i dont know. maybe we're reading the situation differently, but i just think that this person has taken a shocking acusation that could relate directly to his life and reacted.
And I think if a person was truly suffering through such a devastating health crisis, they'd have better things to do with their time than sign up on a band's postboard to harass them.
Old August 28th 2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
And I think if a person was truly suffering through such a devastating health crisis, they'd have better things to do with their time than sign up on a band's postboard to harass them.
Maybe they're trying to warn us that the band are shit-filled retards that don't know what the fuck they're talking about (in their opinion)? Really, if they're suffering from HIV it's not like they're going to be out clubbing, chain smoking, or playing soccer on the fields. It makes sense that they'd have more down time inside and therefore be able to post on the fooboard.
Old August 28th 2007, 08:56 PM

There are easier ways to stir up shit on a band's postboard than to pretend you have AIDS. I don't doubt the sincerety of the original poster.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:06 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer_nut View Post

On one hand I think the Foo Fighters are irresponsible for supporting this organisation but on the other you really shouldn't be looking to rock stars for guidance
Correct. The world would be a horrible place if people paid any attention to Rage Against The Machine's message.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:14 PM

The guy seems to be ignorant about HIV himself, most likely because he's a lying bastard who's going straight to hell.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo View Post
The Foo Fighters are more like Foo Biters in their knowledge (lack) of HIV and their support for people like Christine M, whose child died from AIDS.
I am HIV positive & I believed the bull about the HIV lie & HIV does not cause AIDS etc. I was sooo happy to think I didn't really have it, of course. The denial was so strong it blinded me to the fact that my immune system was taking a beating from the HIV (I took no drugs, legal or not, nor alcohol, ate well, slept good, did yoga, meditation, vitamins, relaxation etc etc)
Finally I ended up in hospital - the virus was at very high levels and my T- cells very low. The doctors recommended hiv medications - SHOCK!! I didn't want to take them, AIDS Denialists told me they kill you, or make you sick. But I was on the edge so I did take them & GUESS WHAT?? 5 years later I am alive & well, fighting fit, work full time, eat well, shit great, clear skin, thick hair, hot bod. No side effects. Oh & the virus is undetectable in my blood & my T cells are rockin'.............go figure.
A word to you all - check the FACTS before you believe anything. Personally, I go on my own experience & that of 1000s of others. The fact remains that deaths from HIV decrease massively when people get effective treatment.
And DO use condoms, The Foo are good at music but have no medical credibility whatsoever. If I hadn't taken those drugs in hospital I probably would be 6 feet under by now, and that has actually happened to people more stubborn & frightened than me.
AIDS denialists have blood on their hands! Wake up & think for yourselves!!
bit heavy for a rock n roll band forum.

still, somebody wanna fill me in cos i have NO idea whats going on.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbutland View Post

Foos supported a crappy organization that misleads people about AIDS, and now AIDS sufferers are mad.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbutland View Post

Sure.

The Foo Fighters supported Alive and Well, which they promoted heavily for a time on the official website. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Alive & Well AIDS Alternatives was founded in 1995 by Christine Maggiore, who had tested HIV-positive in 1992. Although Maggiore was initially active in the AIDS community, providing AIDS and HIV education through AIDS Project Los Angeles, she later came to question her diagnosis. Ultimately, she came to believe that HIV was not the cause of AIDS, and formed Alive & Well to expound her views.

Maggiore became a controversial figure following the death of her 3-year-old daughter, Eliza Jane Scovill. Eliza Jane was never tested for HIV. She died on May 16, 2005 after 3 weeks of illness; the Los Angeles County coroner determined that she had died of Pneumocystis pneumonia in the setting of advanced AIDS.[3]

Maggiore continues to believe that Eliza Jane did not have AIDS, and that her death was due to an allergic reaction to amoxicillin.[4] Maggiore has also alleged incompetence, political bias, and conspiracy on the part of the L.A. County coroner.[5] Dr. Mohammed Al-Bayati, a board member of Alive & Well and a toxicologist, issued his own report arguing that a drug reaction, not AIDS, was responsible for Eliza Jane's death.[6] Eliza Jane's death was the subject of reports by ABC Primetime Live[7] and the Los Angeles Times;[2] several independent medical experts contacted by these programs agreed unequivocally that Eliza Jane had died of complications of AIDS.
Old August 28th 2007, 09:49 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Dave's political opinion doesn't carry that much weight in the world,as the music doesn't reflect politics at all-maybe that will change with the new album (the pretender seem's to carry a more political theme)but foo's are hardly seen to be the most political band in the world,so any opinions they hold aren't exactly the most listened to.How many people are geniunely affected by their backing of an incredibly foolish organisation?I doubt many,despite the fact they are incredibly naive for going public with their support-opinions are opinions but in this case,it's an opinion with very little to support it and they would be much wiser to keep it to themselves.Dave ain't Trent Reznor or Thom Yorke,he isn't seen as a political voice and figure of importance.I doubt anything he say's politics wise is taken that seriously as a result
Pretty heavy for only my second post but i wanted my say....
Old August 28th 2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun House View Post
(the pretender seem's to carry a more political theme)
It does?
Old August 28th 2007, 10:57 PM

i think we should all lighten up and crack on with chit chat about the new tour and album we've been waiting ages for.

Not the time or the place for this.
Old August 28th 2007, 11:01 PM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun House View Post
(the pretender seem's to carry a more political theme)
Will people stop saying that?
Old August 29th 2007, 12:48 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo View Post
The Foo Fighters are more like Foo Biters in their knowledge (lack) of HIV and their support for people like Christine M, whose child died from AIDS.
I am HIV positive & I believed the bull about the HIV lie & HIV does not cause AIDS etc. I was sooo happy to think I didn't really have it, of course. The denial was so strong it blinded me to the fact that my immune system was taking a beating from the HIV (I took no drugs, legal or not, nor alcohol, ate well, slept good, did yoga, meditation, vitamins, relaxation etc etc)
Finally I ended up in hospital - the virus was at very high levels and my T- cells very low. The doctors recommended hiv medications - SHOCK!! I didn't want to take them, AIDS Denialists told me they kill you, or make you sick. But I was on the edge so I did take them & GUESS WHAT?? 5 years later I am alive & well, fighting fit, work full time, eat well, shit great, clear skin, thick hair, hot bod. No side effects. Oh & the virus is undetectable in my blood & my T cells are rockin'.............go figure.
A word to you all - check the FACTS before you believe anything. Personally, I go on my own experience & that of 1000s of others. The fact remains that deaths from HIV decrease massively when people get effective treatment.
And DO use condoms, The Foo are good at music but have no medical credibility whatsoever. If I hadn't taken those drugs in hospital I probably would be 6 feet under by now, and that has actually happened to people more stubborn & frightened than me.
AIDS denialists have blood on their hands! Wake up & think for yourselves!!

Listen this topic's really been done to death and I think the Foo Fighters would rather people look at all the available information from all sides before deciding what to do with their lives. If someone checks out Alive & Well and thinks it's bullshit, that's their perrogative.

Personally, from what I've read there's a lot of stuff A&W says that makes a legitimate point and alot of what they've said that I'm not sure what I believe on. As I have not beeen diagnosed with HIV or AIDS and don't really engage in any high-risk behavior, that's really as far as I need to go but I do get annoyed at the misinformation spread about A&W in a blatant attempt to discredit them. They've never once advocated not practicing safer sex and I think the argument that Christine Maggiore's child died of AIDS is based on an appalling lack of evidence. It literally was a cause of death that was 100% based on the coroner being told who Elize Jane's mother was and what she did and saying "Well it must've been AIDS then"

The Foo Fighters and Alive & Well have never told people what they should do about their health. It's more about just being aware that there are more options available and letting people make up their own minds, whatever conclusions they come to.

I'm gonna move this to the Frequent Post Archive since it's been talked about a few times over already.

For the record, here's a letter from Nate one of the last main times this topic came up to sorta explain how he views it.

Whatever you do with your life/health, best of luck.
Old August 29th 2007, 01:25 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym View Post
For the record, here's a letter from Nate one of the last main times this topic came up to sorta explain how he views it.
IMO there's a huge difference between a) just trying to animate people to discuss a highly controversial topic (like Nate stated in his last post), and b) the *official* announcement to directly support the _aims_ of this group (also stated by Nate in the same post), considering how affine younger fans are to the band's opinions.
Old August 29th 2007, 02:00 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Nate is putting his opinion out there, as many people do. He's not ramming it down anyone's throat, and if people choose to believe what he does just because they like Foo Fighter's music, that's their problem.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude. I just think that people should know that it's okay to think for themselves, and not just believe something's right because their favourite singer or actor tells them so.

Last edited by Ruth : August 29th 2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old August 29th 2007, 03:45 PM
I'll Stick Around

You miss the point: young fans, kids... That's the same group of people who write things to this board like, quote: "I cum in my pants" when they're going to meet the band in person.

Or i.e. why do you think most people started smoking in their young ages? There's a genetic defect called "naivety" especially showing up in these ages, which unfortunately applies to all categories of intelligence during that time.

Sorry for annoying you, shutting up now.