Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 29th 2011, 10:40 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Your first and your most valuable item?

So, we've already covered the topic of when all of us started collecting, so let's take it even further - what was your first ever FF item? Or even - what was your first FF item after which you thought "Here we go! My Foo Collection is starting right now!!"? And the last one - what is the most valuable item in you Foo Collection? But not only valuable as in "costing a buttload of your hard earned money" or being really rare but maybe having some sort of sentimental value to you. (I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say here cause English is "not my principle instrument here" (c) Dave Grohl from "Skin And Bones" DVD) Maybe you can throw in a few words on how was it like in the beginning for you - such a buttload of releases to buy and not enough money or something else. Speak up, guys!

So, I'll set the ball rolling.

My first ever item was standard CD edition of 'In Your Honor', if memory serves me right. That prompted me to search our local music stores to find normal editions of all other albums (and by "normal" I mean US or EU CDs not our crappy "Special Russian Editions" with no artwork whatsoever and the only thing making them special is the "Special Russian Edition" printed on it). 5 or 6 stores in, countless asking of the store dudes "Do you have FF CDs?" and so on. My only regret is that I was an asshole not to buy 'In Your Honor' on vinyl when I had a chance cause it was a real steal - 30(!!!) bucks for the whole thing.

So, the first one which really set the tone to my collection was "DOA" 7' record on yellow vinyl which coincidentally was my very first eBay-purchased item. And from then on it begun. A year later I have all major singles by FF (2 of which are still making its way to me) and my collection keeps on growing and there's no stopping it)))

For me, the most valuable items are those three:
1. Have It All & Stacked Actors single (courtesy of longever!!)
2. DOA 7'' record on yellow vinyl (my first "real" FF purchase)
3. Norwegian Edition of 1x1 (won and paid for on eBay on the 14th of January(!!!))

So that's it for me. What about you, fellow Foo lovers?
Old March 29th 2011, 04:36 PM
Insert Wookie noise here..

Default Re: Your first and your most valuable item?

Let's see.

My first ever Foo Fighters item, was the This Is A Call cd maxi single. Bought it back in '95 when it first came out. Just before going on a holiday with my friends. So aside from the fact that it was my first ever Foo item, it also brings back some good memories.

From then on, I bought all their albums and singles. But the moment that spawned my huge collection, was buying the Exhausted 12" vinyl promo. I found this a year later, in '96 or so. From then on I decided to really start collecting Foo.

My top 3 most valuable items (not in terms of moneys worth):
1 This Is A Call (cd maxi single) (Where it all started)
2 Pocketwatch cassette (Just love those songs, and the old school recording on it)
3 In Your Honor - Instrumental promo 2cd (we all have our own little gem. This is mine. Just because it is damn rare)

(part of my) Record Collection

http://www.discogs.com/user/boyschouten/collection
Old March 29th 2011, 05:00 PM
I'll Stick Around

Oh thank god someone answered!!! Keep it going, guys!!!
Old March 29th 2011, 05:05 PM
Have you found your way around

My first item was a t shirt, I wore it almost everyday, but now its way too short for me D:

I think my first collectible item was there is nothing left to lose, but its not really collectible :d

FRESH POTS!!!
Old March 29th 2011, 05:05 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

The first foo item i bought was In Your Honour, my brother was the one to buy the earlier albums.
I've had all the albums and DVDs and downloaded anything and everything I could find.
I only started collecting after seeing them twice in february
since then I have acquired at least one version of each single (except Have It All and Stacked Actors), two versions in most of them if they were two cd sets. Starting to get a few different album versions.
I currently only have 5 singles on 7" but want to work on that

My most prized item is going to be (when it arrives) The One CD single, not just because its one of the harder to get hold of what with it not being released in UK but because of the artwork as it combines my two favourite things, Foo Fighters and ballet. Its going to take pride of place on my bookcase

That being said I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in love with the wasting light deluxe package when it turns up signed litho, piece of master tape?! yes please
O2 Arena 17.11.07
Wembley Stadium 06.06.08
Wembley Stadium 07.06.08
Wembley Arena 25.02.11
Dingwalls 26.02.11
Milton Keynes 02.07.11
Milton Keynes 03.07.11
Reading Festival 26.08.12
Islington Assembly Hall 12.09.14
Queen Elizabeth Park 14.09.14

Some Videos

The Holy Shits Islington pics
Some Pictures
Old March 29th 2011, 05:10 PM
I'll Stick Around

The self titled CD was the first ever Foo Fighters item I bought. At the time I was really into Nirvana and wondered what the drummer would sound like singing and playing guitar etc. I was shocked after listening to it a few times when I realized I liked it more than Nirvana.

The here we go moment when I guess I really started collecting was in 1997 before The Colour and the Shape came out I bought the Monkey Wrench CD1 import at a local record store. I was still young at the time so I had to wait to get part 2 because I didn't have much money. A couple of weeks later I could afford part 2, then came Everlong...My Hero... It kind of became a running joke between me and the shop owner that everytime I walked in she would already have the newest Foo import at the counter waiting for me.

I guess my most valuable item would be the shirt I got when I saw them at the Agora in Cleveland in 1997. It's the red one with a silver plastic Foo Fighters script logo on the chest. I was the first time I saw the Foo Fighters live and I went with my friend. When the show got out I wanted a shirt but I didn't have the money. He was gracious enough to give me the cash to purchase it. I wore it all the time and finally it got pushed to the back of the closet when I got other Foo shirts. He ended up passing away in 2002 from Cancer at a very young age and shortly after I found the shirt after forgetting about it for a long time. It always reminds me of the good time we had at the show and the giving nature that I would get to know even better in the short time we were friends.
Old March 29th 2011, 07:17 PM
I'll Stick Around

I have no idea what my first foo item was but I'd say my most valuable foo things are the most valuable to me that deal with the shows i went to.

I have a recording of all 3 I went too, I have a audio recording of the detroit and cleveland shows from 08 and of course part of the storytellers was broad casted on TV,

from the detroit show i went to i got one of Dave's guitar picks.

probably the most valuable thing to me of all is the framing setup I did for the storytellers stuff I got. I got the wrist band from it, one of Chris' guitar picks and the set list in a frame.
9-19-11 Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
9-20-11 Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH
8-24-15 DTE Music Theatre Clarkston, MI

TCV: 10-8-09 The Fillmore Detroit, MI

FooFightersLive.com
Old March 29th 2011, 07:18 PM
I'll Stick Around

It's a strange one for me as I used to be a big collector a few years ago. Had about 200 items. Then I sold nearly everything, kept a few pieces and anything that caught my eye on ebay through the years was bought. It's been a hard bug to let go of.

First item: Learn To Fly singles on release day.
Sentimental: Aussie edition of TINLTL. Around this time I was just in my own little bubble ignoring the world listening to Foo. Good times lol! It's because of this album cover that I got my FF's tattooed on my arm.
Collector spark: This time around it was when I bought Pocketwatch last year. I'd just always kept my eye on these on ebay and I finally snagged one and thought, yeah, ok, let's start again!
Old March 30th 2011, 01:07 AM
Visiting is pretty...

First item was One by One on cd I think, and my most valuable thing is probably the probot 7" single mixed coloured one, or the jermaine rogers aleppin sane print. i've got a good few vinyls and dvds also, cant help buying alll these things i dont really need, but its a slight obsession!
Old March 30th 2011, 01:15 AM

First item had to be TCATS...most valuable Jermaine Rogers Vegas poster from The Joint.
Old March 30th 2011, 02:26 AM
I'll Stick Around

First Foo item was the self-titled CD sometime in 1996. Had seen the I'll Stick Around video a few times on MTV and Big Me was in heavy rotation. I was a Nirvana fan that joined the party late (didn't really get into them until the very end) and my interest definitely carried over. The only place in my hometown to buy CDs was Wal-Mart but I refused to buy there because of their music censorship policy. Since I could not drive yet, I had to beg my parents to stop at Best Buy anytime we made a trip over to the bigger city nearby to shop or visit relatives. Over the next couple of years I bought the albums as they came out and picked up a couple other things here and there: shirts at concerts, Big Me US CD single, one or two import singles that would pop up every so often at Best Buy. Once I got to college and found the joy of fast internet connection and P2P file sharing, I scoured the net downloading all of the b-sides and other non-album tracks I could find. Had a couple CD-Rs full of stuff that I couldn't buy anywhere, like Pocketwatch. Things stayed like this for the next several years...buy the album on release day, download everything else.

But there was one b-side I could never find anywhere. I searched forever but never found an mp3 of Never Talking To You Again. So, I started an ebay account and my first purchase was the Low single so I could have that song. That was in 2006 and it was all downhill from there. Since then I have bought way too many Foo CDs/vinyls on e-bay and have spent way too much money. Just looked through my paypal history and it is RIDICULOUS!!!

Most valuable is tough. I do have a Pocketwatch cassette, but it is too hard to say what is most valuable to me. I will have to look through everything again and get back to everyone on that one. I just love the look of it all lined up when I look though it.
10/03/05 - Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
10/04/05 - Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL
08/25/06 - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL
02/25/08 - Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
07/20/08 - Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO
08/09/09 - The Metro, Chicago, IL (TCV Debut!!!!!)
09/17/11 - Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO
11/08/17 - State Farm Center, Champaign, IL
Old March 30th 2011, 03:11 AM
A star burned out

first item was the TINLTL album that was just being released here on early 2000. I got hooked immediately after seeing the Learn to Fly video on MTV, then I just had to have the album, I became ossessed instantly, listened to the album front to back tons of times and decided I needed the previous 2 as well, did the same, listened to them front to back, tons of times, it was the birth of my all time favorite band and it's still is that way to this day. I bought tickets to their first gig here just a few weeks later and was SO stoked to get to see them live after becoming this addicted fan. they cancelled the show and I wanted to cry, but it's fine, they came one year later and it was awesome.

since then I kept buying all their records, the regular ones, but as for collections, it wasn't until this year that I really started taking it seriously, so I have to say that my most valuable item is probably the french "Inédits", something I thought I'd only be able to get way later, but then Foozealand posted a link to one that was going for a really great price and I couldn't resist. but I think that my Learn to Fly 7" and the aussie Stacked Actors are as special, I found them here in own country which is something I never thought I'd see.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old March 30th 2011, 03:20 AM

First was the Times Like These single.
Most valuable Pocketwatch.
Aug. 10, 2012-OSL
Old March 30th 2011, 04:24 AM
I'll Stick Around

First item I bought was the digipack version of TINLTL...Really liked it but at that stage was living in a small town and didn't really get to go to many live shows. When I saw the foos live for the first time in 2003 something clicked and I turned into a rabid foo loving idiot in the space of a 1.5hr set.

Since then I've seen them a heap of times and more often than not have come away from a concert with something from the stage.

In 2005 (my second foo show and by far my most successful in terms of collecting) I walked away with one of Chris' picks (father of the year), Taylor's drumstick and setlist (he wrapped the setlist that was stuck to his hi-hat around the stick before throwing it to me).

In 2006 I saw them at the Sydney Opera House and snagged one of Nate's picks courtesy of Sean

2008 I managed to get 2 of Daves picks ("Grace" and "DG606"). I got "Grace" off the floor near the barrier, but it wasn't until I got home and found DG606 in the BACK pocket of my jeans. I couldn't believe it. I had sensed something whiz past my head when they were throwing their picks out, but figured I had missed it. Turns out it fell neatly into my pocket.

First item: TINLTL
Most valued: My collection of foo gig objects.

- 28/01/2003 Gold Coast Big Day Out
- 28/11/2005 Brisbane Entertainment Centre
- 01/12/2005 Sydney Superdome
- 03/10/2006 Sydney Opera House
- 29/04/2008 Brisbane Entertainment Centre
- 27/03/2011 Brisbane Riverstage
- 10/12/2011 Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast
- 24/02/2015 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- 25/01/2018 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Old March 31st 2011, 12:41 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I guess I'll give you some of my Foo credentials before I post. I've been a huge fan since the mid 90's. I have been lucky enough to meet the band, been to 6 shows (including the acoustic show at the Hummingbird Centre), and I collect their vinyl singles and LPs.

The first item I ever bought was The Colour and the Shape CD when it first came out, I picked it up because I liked the cover (really glad I did!). I still have it...although their can't be much plays left in it...

My most valuable item is hard, I love all my vinyl singles....if I had to choose it would be between my Exhausted 12" or my copy of Everlong 7"
Old March 31st 2011, 12:50 PM
FooArchive

First - This Is A Call cd single.

Valuable - I dunno, it all depends on what somebody is prepared to pay doesn't it? There aren't too many Foo crew tour jackets & I have one of them, likewise the Probot splattered vinyl was a limited number or the test polariod from the Kerrang! covershoot that Dave signed is a one-off, as is the Maida Vale setlist with the notes for the Oasis cover on it.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old April 2nd 2011, 06:03 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
First - This Is A Call cd single.

Valuable - I dunno, it all depends on what somebody is prepared to pay doesn't it? There aren't too many Foo crew tour jackets & I have one of them, likewise the Probot splattered vinyl was a limited number or the test polariod from the Kerrang! covershoot that Dave signed is a one-off, as is the Maida Vale setlist with the notes for the Oasis cover on it.
Pau you are in other level as collecionist!

BTW where did all of you guys get the One by One norwegian edition? I have been searching it for thousand of years with no luck, when it was released I was just a poor student who couldn't afford it.

"If you think about it with an open mind, music can be nameless, it can be faceless - it can just be music"
Old April 3rd 2011, 02:37 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterboy View Post
BTW where did all of you guys get the One by One norwegian edition? I have been searching it for thousand of years with no luck, when it was released I was just a poor student who couldn't afford it.
I was lucky enough to find mine on eBay.
Old April 3rd 2011, 03:41 AM

The first Foo item I bought was the standard version of IYH.

Ironically, the most valuable item I have is the special edition of IYH that has the making-of documentary and the cool packaging. Not too good but I was stunned to find it in the record store I go to.
Old April 6th 2011, 12:28 AM

First item I got was TCATS cd.

Most valuable... TCATS vinyl (and all the other LPs), also got the Big Me single cassette, I don't see that around too often.
But most of all, I managed to get the Gibson DG-335, which made me very happy

• 05/30/2004 - Rock In Rio Lisboa, Lisbon - Portugal.
• 08/16/2005 - Festival Paredes de Coura, Portugal
• 10/29/2009 - Live from Studio 606 (:P)
• 07/03/2011 - Milton Keynes, UK
• 07/07/2011 - Optimus Alive, Lisbon, Portugal
• 20/06/2015 - Wembley Stadium (canceled )