Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 13th 2011, 10:50 PM
SlickNickM94's Avatar
SlickNickM94 SlickNickM94 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 94
Default In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

As in from your favorite to least (oh not including Greatest Hits or Skin and Bones just studio), It's been hard for me to rank them over the years because I like them all and don't want to have any of them last but ...

1. In Your Honor (has my favorite song of all time on it, Best of You, was the first rock song I heard that got my attention and made this band my favorite since I was born into the world of music, then when I got this album I couldn't find a song I honestly didn't like so it just stuck at the top.)
2. Wasting Light (hard decision whether to put it 2nd or 3rd but this album has just been so amazing and this was the 1st time I ever followed an album to the point of release and really felt that excitement, usually that was something I did only with video games but it was really fun to have it relate to my favorite band.)
3. The Colour & The Shape (My Hero, Everlong and Up In Arms, 3 of my most favorite songs ever! Not to mention the rest of the songs that were up there too. Just a solid rock album and oh so close to 2nd.)
4. There is Nothing Left to Lose (I became obsessed with this album, just the melodies and harmonies, Taylor Hawkins drumming, just everything was so perfect. For awhile I was giving copies to my friends who were huge metalheads and I was claiming it was better than any Iron Maiden, better than any Metallica lol. It was so such a great album and I got it at a perfect time in my life to really enjoy it.)
5. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (when I was about 10 years old I bought my first cd, I think it was an Eminem cd because he was just so good at the time. From that point I would never buy a cd myself again for years, all my music came from other people or listening to it on YouTube. And because of this I never got to hear all of those amazing tracks that don't get popularity. So after getting older and having money to spend I bought my 1st album in almost 6 years and my 2nd album ever! It was a great experience and I really kicked myself for neglecting albums for so long, a mistake I wish I never would of made, but I made it through and life is good.)
6. One By One (Plenty of great songs on this album, All My Life, Come Back and Times Like These which are 3 more of my all time favorites. There is just nothing bad to say about this album, unfortunate that there has to be a bottom towards every list.)
7. Foo Fighters (Great, Amazing Album! Love this album, it's on the bottom not because I dislike it or can't find enough songs to love but because I don't know the definition of chronological and because I couldn't find this album in any store, it was the last one I got (before Wasting Light of course though) so it hasn't had as much time to grow on me.)

If anybody reads through that God Bless haha,
I love reading and writing, I take an advanced literature and composition course so when I start writing I get carried away.
But I will be willing to read your stories behind your favorite albums, I've always found learning about others interesting.
__________________
11-10-09 - HSBC Arena - Metallica
09-25-11 - HSBC Arena - Foo Fighters
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 13th 2011, 10:54 PM
mosh mosh is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9
Post Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Not gonna rank Wasting Light yet or FF just because I don't no where to put it :P

1: In Your Honor
2: The Colour And The Shape
3: There Is Nothing Left To Lose
4: Echoes Silence Patience Grace
5: One By One (the only album I don't really like)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:03 PM
Aviator42009 Aviator42009 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Hmmm....

1 - The Colour And The Shape - Great song after great song, also probably most consistent in its heavyness
2 - Wasting Light - Pretty much every song from this album is stuck in my head, but TCATS seems longer lasting (Don't take that offensively, it was a tough decision)
3 - There Is Nothing Left To Lose - Once again, not a bad song on the album, and its a side of the Foos I love, sounds so natural.
4 - Foo Fighters - The songs are so raw and simple, I love it
5 - In Your Honor - The album just sounds so huge, and it has a little of everything.
6 - Echoes, Silence, Patience, And Grace - I know its at 6th, but this albums great, its got some really good heavy stuff, with some catchy acoustic stuff thrown in there.
7 - One By One - This albums got some of my favorite songs by the Foos on it, but on the other hand some songs die out pretty easily for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:13 PM
Kathi's Avatar
Kathi Kathi is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: over the hills and far away (Italy/Austria)
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

TCATS - so many memories attached to it. it was my first FF record, and it'll always have a special place for me. so, this is up top for more than just the actual music on it (which is great, of course).
WL - this is how I'd rank it so far, not sure if it's its final place, but top 3 for sure. some really great songs on this one, and nothing I'd really want to skip.
TINLTL - first saw them live when they toured that record, which was in August, and I like the summer vibe it gives me.
OBO - this was the first new FF record I actually witnessed coming out, and I still really like it and listen to it fairly frequently.
S/T - classic. exhausted, wattershed, this is a call...probably on an almost equal position with OBO.
IYH - don't really listen to this that often anymore, though it has some songs I really like on both the rock and the acoustic disc...just doesn't really "flow" as an album for me.
ESPG - never really connected with this record, though it did grow on me somewhat. stranger things have happened is great, lots of other songs I tend to skip.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:14 PM
Kevthedrummer's Avatar
Kevthedrummer Kevthedrummer is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Old York, England, UK
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

wow I am surprised to see IYH so high on people's lists...

1. Foo Fighters
2. The Colour and the Shape
3. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
4. Wasting Light

5. One By One
6. In Your Honour
7. Echoes Silence Patience and Grace

3/4 could probably switch, but this is going by the iconic status (to me) of the songs on both albums, so TINLTL wins (I got into them through songs like LTF, Breakout and Generator). I still think I'm in the honeymoon period of Wasting Light, so it's hard to tell. I could do with listening to them all back to back just to make sure.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:23 PM
generatedagain generatedagain is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida(where old people go to die)
Posts: 458
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1- There is Nothing Left to Lose- It was the first time I ever became addicted to a record or a band. I must of listened to "Generator" near a hundread thousand times. No lie. i really enjoy that direction of the band, more mellowed out but still intense. It was such a diverse record as well.

2-Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace- Come alive might be tied with Generator for my all time favorite foo song. on top of that, I have always enjoyed Shiffty's guitar playing and felt he was much more showcased on this record, as well as being really beautiful. To me, ESPG is like a darker, older, matured version of TINLTL.

3-Wasting Light- I love heavy foo's, trust me I do. This record is heavy, but its not contrived or forced.This record to me is what IYH(rock) was suppose to be. This record is a look back to the roots of the band but all together fresh and exciting at the same time. It is probably the most natural feeling record I have heard from this collective. I am still not one hundread percent sure if this will dethrone Echoes or not. It might take some time to really "feel" it out, but it will always be in the top 3.

4-One by One- It may be dirgey and darker at times then other FF releases and that turns a lot of people off, and I personally was HUGELY dissapointed when I got this record on release day after having been so enthralled by TINLTL for 3 years....but lo and behold it grew on me and as I;ve gotten older, the music has grown on me a lot. I really enjoy the dark and alternative drive this record had.

5- IYH(acoustic)- simply beautiful and wonderful music. I really enjoy this album, but it definitely is a "mood" record for me. it requires a certain frame of mind for me to enjoy it fully, which is why it isn't higher on my list. definitely the most surprising and beautiful foo record.

6-TCATS- I love this record, and It definitely is a red hot angry alternative rock record which, when i'm in the mood, I can sink my teeth into it and scream along. definitely cousins with WL.

7-IYH (rock)- I dig most of the tracks, but it usually blends together sonically for me half way through. it feels (honestly) forced, like because they made the acoustic record they HAD to make the rock record. Though to me, it is damn heavy album (maybe their heaviest depending on how you define that) it looses its melodic appeal to me at points and I feel Dave is growling just to because He" should"...

8-Foo Fighters- I dig the album, and some of the tracks are just fucking ace, but they don't compare, for me anyways, songwriting wise to ANY of the later albums. we all know FF is Dave's band, but the sound definitely evolved with other members. definitely the "grungiest" food record.
__________________
Shameless Self Promotion! Check out my my band!

http://beautifulcorpses.bandcamp.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:49 PM
trent22o's Avatar
trent22o trent22o is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 169
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1. TCATS
2. WL
3. TINLTL
4. ESPG
5. IYH
6. FF
7. OBO

.. it changes, depending on what day you ask me
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:54 PM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,345
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1.TCATS
2.FF
3.WL
4.TINLTL
5.OBO
6.IYH
7ESP&G

I think. This is way soon to rank it, but I believe in not a distant future it could end up like that. I COULD switch 3 with 4.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 13th 2011, 11:56 PM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,345
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
3. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
4. Wasting Light


3/4 could probably switch
WOW, same happened to my list without reading yours first haha. We're similar, musically, foofighterly, apparently.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 14th 2011, 12:14 AM
ryan49321's Avatar
ryan49321 ryan49321 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 206
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1. Colour and Shape
2. Wasting Light
3. Nothing Left to Lose
4. Foo Fighters
5. One by One
6. In Your Honor
7. ESP&G
__________________
Grand Rapids 10/6/05
Grand Rapids 07/22/08
Auburn Hills 09/19/11
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 14th 2011, 12:15 AM
DaneisKing1389's Avatar
DaneisKing1389 DaneisKing1389 is offline
Cause everyone's just too weird
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,104
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1. TINLTL
2. WL/TCATS
4. FF
5. IYH
6. OBO













7. ESPG

I hate the stupid caps rule.

Last edited by DaneisKing1389 : April 14th 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 14th 2011, 12:18 AM
SlickNickM94's Avatar
SlickNickM94 SlickNickM94 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 94
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
wow I am surprised to see IYH so high on people's lists...

1. Foo Fighters
2. The Colour and the Shape
3. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
4. Wasting Light

5. One By One
6. In Your Honour
7. Echoes Silence Patience and Grace

3/4 could probably switch, but this is going by the iconic status (to me) of the songs on both albums, so TINLTL wins (I got into them through songs like LTF, Breakout and Generator). I still think I'm in the honeymoon period of Wasting Light, so it's hard to tell. I could do with listening to them all back to back just to make sure.
I didn't know In Your Honor was one of the less popular albums, I know the acoustic disc is something you have to be in the mood for and its heavier counterpart can be a turn off to some as it loses flow or whatever. It was one of their more commercially successful albums so I was rather surprised to see it on the bottoms of everyones list.
__________________
11-10-09 - HSBC Arena - Metallica
09-25-11 - HSBC Arena - Foo Fighters
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 14th 2011, 12:22 AM
Iron&Stone's Avatar
Iron&Stone Iron&Stone is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1. There is Nothing Left to Lose
2. Wasting Light
3. One By One
3. In Your Honor - Acoustic
4. The Colour and the Shape
5. Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace
6. Foo Fighters
7. In Your Honor - Rock

Unlike most, I really connected with One By One the first time I listened to it, and even until very recently--it was my favorite. But, after quite a few listens I realized that There is Nothing Left To Lose simply sounds amazing. The general feel/mood, and sound of the instruments is overwhelmingly well-done. At the same time, it feels real--something that is lost in some of their other records. Of course, One by One fell to #3 in light of their most recent release (no pun intended).
__________________
Ain't it the life...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 14th 2011, 12:27 AM
Iron&Stone's Avatar
Iron&Stone Iron&Stone is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 162
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generatedagain View Post
1- There is Nothing Left to Lose- It was the first time I ever became addicted to a record or a band. I must of listened to "Generator" near a hundread thousand times. No lie. i really enjoy that direction of the band, more mellowed out but still intense. It was such a diverse record as well.

2-Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace- Come alive might be tied with Generator for my all time favorite foo song. on top of that, I have always enjoyed Shiffty's guitar playing and felt he was much more showcased on this record, as well as being really beautiful. To me, ESPG is like a darker, older, matured version of TINLTL.

3-Wasting Light- I love heavy foo's, trust me I do. This record is heavy, but its not contrived or forced.This record to me is what IYH(rock) was suppose to be. This record is a look back to the roots of the band but all together fresh and exciting at the same time. It is probably the most natural feeling record I have heard from this collective. I am still not one hundread percent sure if this will dethrone Echoes or not. It might take some time to really "feel" it out, but it will always be in the top 3.

4-One by One- It may be dirgey and darker at times then other FF releases and that turns a lot of people off, and I personally was HUGELY dissapointed when I got this record on release day after having been so enthralled by TINLTL for 3 years....but lo and behold it grew on me and as I;ve gotten older, the music has grown on me a lot. I really enjoy the dark and alternative drive this record had.

5- IYH(acoustic)- simply beautiful and wonderful music. I really enjoy this album, but it definitely is a "mood" record for me. it requires a certain frame of mind for me to enjoy it fully, which is why it isn't higher on my list. definitely the most surprising and beautiful foo record.

6-TCATS- I love this record, and It definitely is a red hot angry alternative rock record which, when i'm in the mood, I can sink my teeth into it and scream along. definitely cousins with WL.

7-IYH (rock)- I dig most of the tracks, but it usually blends together sonically for me half way through. it feels (honestly) forced, like because they made the acoustic record they HAD to make the rock record. Though to me, it is damn heavy album (maybe their heaviest depending on how you define that) it looses its melodic appeal to me at points and I feel Dave is growling just to because He" should"...

8-Foo Fighters- I dig the album, and some of the tracks are just fucking ace, but they don't compare, for me anyways, songwriting wise to ANY of the later albums. we all know FF is Dave's band, but the sound definitely evolved with other members. definitely the "grungiest" food record.

You sir, have extremely good taste!! It's always encouraging to see a few fans who appreciate the quieter side of the Foo Fighters... You can't always scream for Weenie Beenie, that would just get old Echoes goes unnoticed because it demonstrates how eclectic the band is, and it doesnt connect with the typical head-basher necessarily. I pretty much agree with everything you said
__________________
Ain't it the life...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 14th 2011, 02:27 AM
Mr Proboto's Avatar
Mr Proboto Mr Proboto is offline
Never knowing who to believe
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The New America
Posts: 11,599
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

TNLTL
Foo Fighters
Wasting Light
TCATS
ESPG
In Your Honor
One By One
__________________
Honestly, had I taken this whole postboard thing seriously I would've named myself something else, cause it's the worst fucking username in the world.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 14th 2011, 02:29 AM
Cornflake's Avatar
Cornflake Cornflake is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 75
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

The Colour and the Shape
There Is Nothing Left To Lose
Wasting Light
Foo Fighters
One By One
Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
In Your Honor
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 14th 2011, 02:31 AM
AfterShock's Avatar
AfterShock AfterShock is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 323
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

TINLTL
TCATS
Wasting Light (although it seems a bit early)
1x1
IYH (too much filler, IMO)
FF (Never really loved this record, a few tracks are great but the sound/songwriting isn't nearly as good as the others)
ESPG (Just a meh album)
__________________
6/28/12 - Summerfest in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 14th 2011, 02:54 AM
savoie11's Avatar
savoie11 savoie11 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 102
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

Wasting Light...Their most consisent disc if you ask me. Maybe none of the songs match up with their best songs from their early material, but there isn't any real clunkers eithers. 4/5 Stars

Foo Fighters...The debut and it was good stuff. 4/5 Stars

The Colour & The Shape...When they were on, they were really on. The first half was epic. Only Everlong was great on the last half. 3.5/5 Stars

There Is Nothing Left To Lose...Again, The first half was really good, the second half not so much. Not that the second half was awful, it just didn't grab me like the first half. 3.5/5 Stars

Echoes,Silence,Patience, & Grace...A nice blend of the two styles found on In Your Honor. The worst part of this cd is the lyrics are pretty weak on some tracks. 3/5 Stars

One By One...Starts off on fire with four quality tracks then falls into primarily filler, with the exception of Lonely As You. 2.5/5 Stars

In Your Honor... The first disc was quite bland and forced to me, with the exception of No Way Back and D.O.A. The second disc was a beautiful change and should have been the only disc. 2/5 Stars

Last edited by savoie11 : April 14th 2011 at 05:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 14th 2011, 03:05 AM
Error Macro Error Macro is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1. Foo Fighters
2. There Is Nothing Left to Lose
3. The Colour and the Shape

4. Wasting Light



5. One by One






6. In Your Honor










7. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 14th 2011, 03:09 AM
JohnnyBoy's Avatar
JohnnyBoy JohnnyBoy is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 174
Default Re: In what order do you rank the Foos albums.

1.TCATS
2.1X1
3.wasting light
4. foo fighters
5. tinltl
6.espg
7. in your honor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.