Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd 2011, 08:38 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Default Turntables?

I was gonna post this on 100% FF, but thought it could fit right here, if it needs to be moved... moved it be.

I'm seriously thinking about starting a small vinyl collection from my favorite records EVAAAR, but have no turntable. I amazon'd it and well, there are hundreds obviously, ranging from cheap, reasonable, expensive and crazy pro-expensive shit.

I guess I want to balance quality/brand and price, can anybody help? I'm totally clueless about EVERYTHING.
Old April 22nd 2011, 08:55 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Turntables?

Actually thinking the same thing. With WL and Medium Rare vinyls on their way I began thinking that I really need that turntables. Same as above, any advice, Foo collectors with turntables?
Old April 22nd 2011, 08:05 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

I posted some stuff back a while ago here:

http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthrea...ct#post3454172

http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...efault&lang=en

Mexico is sadly one of the few places they don't have a distributor, though I'm pretty sure you could go through the US distributor.

There is one in Russia.

I was there
Old April 24th 2011, 12:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

A Pro-Ject Debut III is my goal for this summer

Anybody got recommendations on a cheap but good phono preamp?

WAIT UNTIL MY BOMB GOES OFF
Old April 24th 2011, 12:46 PM
I'll Stick Around

As posted on the vinyl thread, this is ideal for a starter turntable:

When I moved house last year, my Technics turntable got dropped and broke. I was gutted.

Not having a huge amount of money (having just moved), I found the Roadstar TTL-8600 (http://tinyurl.com/4222s4w) - best 50 I've ever spent, the sound from it is absolutely fantastic. It's also sold in the UK as the Bush MTT-1 (but, fortunately, not made by Bush, who are awful), and was in What Hi-Fi as the top rated budget turntable for several years

All analogue too, and has a built in pre-amp

You can see my music collection here -
http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/darthlemsip/ - It's very much a work in progress, so more stuff will be added as I get round to it! (Needs quite a bit adding now)

Last edited by darthlemsip : April 24th 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old April 24th 2011, 01:55 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Pro-Ject, Rega, and Throens all make great entry level tables. You'll see people get into discussions between belt drive and direct drive and each have their benefits / downsides. The brands I listed above are all belt drive. Stay away from the "DJ" turntables... some technics, Stanton, etc... You'll basically be dropping between 350-450 for a table and about 50-100 for a phono preamp if your stereo lacks a "phono" input.
Old April 25th 2011, 12:29 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I recently bought a rega rp1 off eBay for 180 they normally go for 230 so was lucky .I wanted an entry level turntable and it was this or the project essential which has got good reviews but I'm more than happy with this one.I also bought the Cambridge 640p phonopreamp for 99 as this is the best one for the price budget,got few vinyl but waiting for my delux package to come so I could play the vinyl
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:37 PM

Umm, are "x-in-1"'s any good?
I was thinking something simpler, hopefully with CD player and speakers, i'm too much of a lazy ass to choose this turntable this preamp these speakers, etc.

I mean
some
these.
<3 this one ($$$$ )

These are examples, sadly the Crosley have awful reviews.

Last edited by Beto : May 2nd 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old May 15th 2011, 09:19 AM

So, I got tired of even looking for possible players.

I rescued my dad's multi (tape,phono, tuner) Panasonic Quartz stereo, plugged some of my sisters old speakers and played Medium Rare, WOW. The experience alone of putting the record and all made me feel really good.

I don't give a fuck about the quality anymore (although it does sound crisp and awesome), I just want to get my parents record collection, and play good stuff there ;D
Old May 15th 2011, 04:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

Does anyone on here have an opinion/experience with this turntable? http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATLP1...p_ob_e_title_0

Mine just gave up the ghost and now I need to find another one but I don't have a ton of money to drop on one right now.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:49 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark09 View Post
Does anyone on here have an opinion/experience with this turntable? http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATLP1...p_ob_e_title_0

Mine just gave up the ghost and now I need to find another one but I don't have a ton of money to drop on one right now.
I have the AT-LP60 model and I love it,cost about $99.00.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:40 PM
I'll Stick Around

Thanks for the info tonesbrigade! I went ahead and ordered the LP-120 but Amazon said it's backordered from them right after I ordered it. If they end up canceling it all together I might go with the LP-60 instead. I don't play a ton of vinyl so it would probably do the trick just fine!
Old May 20th 2011, 03:31 AM
Have you found your way around

I just bought a turntable today from a flea market for $20. Hooked it up to some old speakers I had and listened to Wasting Light and Medium Rare. It sounded awesome and I can't believe I waited to long to do this!
Old May 20th 2011, 12:21 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I just bought a turntable today from a flea market for $20. Hooked it up to some old speakers I had and listened to Wasting Light and Medium Rare. It sounded awesome and I can't believe I waited to long to do this!
Please dont take this as an entire negative - as its truly great you are playing vinyl at all, but do bare in mind that new records on old turntables with old styli ( the needle) will sound great for a bit, then *can* turn to crap very quickly.

Records are a contact medium, unlike cds they wear out. I once read an article that basically said this sort of thing:

If you were a surgeon doing an operation, you'd prefer to use a clean new super sharp scalpel. When you're done there's almost no mark at all. You could use a bread knife in desperation and the patient would probably survive, but you wouldn't want to do it more than a few times or they'd be dead, and every time you do they are getting bad scars.

Same is true of your lovely new vinyl - if you are enjoying it, seriously consider a nice new turntable, or at the very least find out if you can get a new stylus for your current one - your records will live a LOT longer

I was there