Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 9th 2011, 05:06 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Same setlist every night

In terms of the casual fan who happens to catch them play and knows a fair bit of their songs, I don't think it would hurt to thrown in a obscure back catalog song. I mean, they are are the point where they have enough material to do so. Besides, if it sparks someones interest and gets them digging around to where they they hear some stuff they like, that they haven't heard before I think thats a good thing. Sometimes revisiting the stuff we've almost forgotten about makes you appreciate the newer material.
Old August 9th 2011, 07:15 AM
I'll Stick Around

Unfortunately the Foos Bandwagon is bigger than the hardcore fans, so looking after the majority will always win.

BUT..... if Skin and Bones and Cold Day have been slotted in for the hardcore fans, well then PLEASE replace them with randoms!!

You have until December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 9th 2011, 01:09 PM

With some bands, it's just better to only see one show per tour. It's soul crushing when you think something was special for your city and then you see it on another night in another city. I tend to see bands in smaller venues where there is a better chance of something special happening. It's great that the Foos still play smaller venues now and then, even though I never get a chance to go. When you see an arena show you have to sit back and enjoy the spectacle and not ask for too much.

And if it's a festival, I try to avoid bands I like and instead sample bands I'm not so familiar with. The best part of Lolla is that bands come up here and play our club around the same time. I hope we never get another big festival here.
Old August 9th 2011, 01:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

They need to replace 'This Is a Call' with 'For All the Cows' Didn't Dave say it was his mom's favorite? Think of Dave's mom!

I'm not about to blow it now, for all the cows...

Saw Fresh Hot Buns on Monday 29/08/2011 and vomited from his eye balls.
Old August 9th 2011, 09:30 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
With some bands, it's just better to only see one show per tour. It's soul crushing when you think something was special for your city and then you see it on another night in another city. I tend to see bands in smaller venues where there is a better chance of something special happening. It's great that the Foos still play smaller venues now and then, even though I never get a chance to go. When you see an arena show you have to sit back and enjoy the spectacle and not ask for too much.

And if it's a festival, I try to avoid bands I like and instead sample bands I'm not so familiar with. The best part of Lolla is that bands come up here and play our club around the same time. I hope we never get another big festival here.
Don't fret-
this is no ordinary 'arena' show. And I believe we are witnessing the greatest Rock and Roll Band on the planet right now. Doubly cool is the fact they all don't seem to have huge ROCK GOD EGOS, instead insisting on tryin' to keep sure the Foonatics have a bitchin' kickass time.

This is not the norm, and although you may have felt shut out in the past from VIP or exclusive gigs,
just remember the kid in JUKEBOX HERO-
stars in his eyes, standin' in the rain outside that sold out show, picturin' the scene!
(the one with the One Guitar>?)

Foo Fighters Got more than one, GOT THREE GUITARS-

and the rest, as they say- is History!!!!

cheers dear and bend your ear to the heavenly RIFFAGE :>
Old August 9th 2011, 09:56 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I'm fine with a greatest hits setlist for the arena shows as long as we get the odd web show from 606 with some lesser played tracks and things like the full album tour for WL. The guys have been delivering for both the arena/casual fans and the hardcore, IMO.
Old August 10th 2011, 04:26 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I'm sick and tired of the Pearl Jam comparison........To be blunt, it's a lot easier to mix it up when you've had like 1 radio hit in the last decade. This band averages 2-3 per record

And this is more about what works best in the band's (or, more succinctly, Dave's) opinion.

Could they mix it up more and have it still be a very good show? Sure. I bet a lot of them could easily be great. The band is that good. But it's not like their approach sucks or anything. For last night, a shortened festival setlist, it was basically their 2nd show in a month's time, people are gonna complain about the setlist?

Like that's your reaction to watching it? Cause mine was way more of a "Holy shit, they are fucking ON right now".

Look, I get it. I'd probably be happier if a few songs were cut out completely, or at least swapped out from the "every single night" status (*cough*, Cold Day in the Sun, Skin and Bones, and Learn to Fly) and I get that if you're fortunate enough to see more than 1 show, you'd rather it not feel like the same show 4 times over or whatever, but I'm not sure why this comes up after a festival where they only play 3/4 of a regular set that also happens to be one of their best shows I've ever fuckin watched.
I don't think it's a comparison to Pearl Jam as much as it is, "If Pearl Jam can do it then the Foos should be able to do it". Pearl Jam is still a huge band and have a huge following. They've never tried to endear themselves to what is popular and they've got a huge fanbase.

I like to see Pearl Jam, Springsteen and the like because you never know what you're going to get. Springsteen has had a number of big hits and I saw him a number of years ago and he didn't play Born in the USA. I was disappointed, but he played other songs that he normally doesn't. Jam bands like Widespread Panic and the Black Crowes change it up every night, but you go in expecting it with a band like that.

Like others have said, I just wish it was 2-3 different songs. I'd love to hear Aurora, My Poor Brain or some others that they hardly play anymore. I'd sure as hell throw out Skin and Bones, Cold Day and Young Man Blues. If they're going to play a cover, I'd much rather hear Tie Your Mother Down, Have a Cigar, Baker Street or Darling Nikki. I actually got to hear Darling Nikki a number of years ago so that one is off the list to see live.

With that said, I think this tour is the best they've ever done. The show I saw back in May clocked in at almost 2 hr 45 min and I'm seeing them again in Nov hoping they'll change it up a little.

Last edited by Let It Die : August 10th 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old August 10th 2011, 05:43 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Die View Post
I don't think it's a comparison to Pearl Jam as much as it is, "If Pearl Jam can do it then the Foos should be able to do it". Pearl Jam is still a huge band and have a huge following. They've never tried to endear themselves to what is popular and they've got a huge fanbase.
I think it's a mistake on any fan's part to assume the reason for the setlists Dave picks is to endear themselves to what is popular. It doesn't seem to occur to many that it's possible Dave's playing the songs he just actually wants to play.
Old August 10th 2011, 03:47 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
I think it's a mistake on any fan's part to assume the reason for the setlists Dave picks is to endear themselves to what is popular. It doesn't seem to occur to many that it's possible Dave's playing the songs he just actually wants to play.
I didn't say he did that. I said that Pearl Jam goes out of their way not to do things at times which could be more popular if they choose the other route especially after the Ten album. No videos, very little promotion and just touring. Bands that mix it up every night have a vast catalog to choose from so they mix it up. The Foo Fighters now have a vast catalog and they could mix it up, but for the most part they don't.

I'm sure Dave does what he wants to and no one said otherwise. However, I'm 100% positive that if he didn't do Everlong then there would be some pissed people. He knows they want to hear it so he plays it even he gets tired of playing it every night. I'm sure Pearl Jam gets tired of playing Evenflow every night, but they know that is one song they will play every show. Dave has the catalog to choose from but mainly stays with the hits and throws in a few others, but those seem to be the same ones almost every show on this tour (Cold Day, Skin and Bones, YMB).
Old August 11th 2011, 04:00 AM
The Boss

Worth noting that I definitely received an email this week begging that "My Hero" gets played tonight in Montreal. There was whole sad side story to go along with it that mad eit hard to laugh at the request and the guy didn't want like...Dave to dedicate it to him or anything like that

He just really wanted to be sure My Hero got played.
Old August 12th 2011, 04:14 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I've never once directly talked to Dave about setlists (mostly cause I don't really want to hear the words "fuck off"),
And here I was thinking you were the expert they have always gone to whenever they had setlist problems....I don't know what I was thinking...
Old August 12th 2011, 04:43 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLAT319 View Post
And here I was thinking you were the expert they have always gone to whenever they had setlist problems....I don't know what I was thinking...
Old August 13th 2011, 07:53 AM
Visiting is pretty...

ive seen the foos 4 times dont get me wrong theyre my favorite band...theres no shame in playing the hits everynight but have you guys checked the shows out recently? its the SAME exact setlist every single night honestly it looks the same from when i saw them at the garden 4 years ago...i mean you can change up at least 2 songs a night? this is why im not seeing them this tour..