Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Sonic Highways
Yay! 72 65.45%
Nay! 18 16.36%
Sittin' on the fence 20 18.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10th 2014, 07:31 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Sonic Highways - Yey or nay?

I want to see the general consensus among fans now the album has been out a while...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old December 10th 2014, 07:36 AM
Fooper!

Default Re: Sonic Highways - Yey or nay?

Yay for me! Not as great as WL, but a solid album nevertheless.
Old December 10th 2014, 08:44 AM

It's an ok album, but in comparison to other Foo Fighters albums a nay for me.
10-06-2010 Them Crooked Vultures, Heineken Music Hall
13-06-2011 Foo Fighters, Pinkpop

Deku Palace - Kraid's Lair - Storm Eagle
Old December 10th 2014, 10:44 AM
A star burned out

I don't think a month qualifies as a while, especially in this case. the songs might not be something extraordinarily different but the whole format is and it influences it a lot, I've seen a lot of people changing their opinions based on the TV series and since that one wrapped not even a a week ago, I think I lot of people are yet to watch it and quite likely change their opinions as well.

not invalidating the poll, it's still interesting getting the overall feeling at this point, but I don't think it'll be much indicative as it will be when a real "while" as passed and people digested it a bit more.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old December 10th 2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
I don't think a month qualifies as a while, especially in this case. the songs might not be something extraordinarily different but the whole format is and it influences it a lot, I've seen a lot of people changing their opinions based on the TV series and since that one wrapped not even a a week ago, I think I lot of people are yet to watch it and quite likely change their opinions as well.

not invalidating the poll, it's still interesting getting the overall feeling at this point, but I don't think it'll be much indicative as it will be when a real "while" as passed and people digested it a bit more.
I know what you mean, but a month is a place where the songs have had time to sink in for a bit and can result in a different opinion. We could always do the same thing 3-6 months or a year down the road too. (fyi, I still haven't seen the TV series yet)

I know that stuff like Congregation and Subterranean has grown on me significantly since the first few listens. Might be worth it to do another song ranking and compare it to last time's results too.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old December 10th 2014, 01:26 PM
everything fades in time it's true...

I finally have listened to all of the songs! I held off on listening to each song until that week's episode aired. Crazy I know, but it just helped to make the songs make sense. AND it was hard as hell to do, but worth it in the end.

I am curious as to what folk's favorites are from the album. Off the top of my head my top 3 would be TF&TF, Congregation, and Outside.

Still letting others soak in since the new hasn't worn off just yet.
Old December 10th 2014, 01:37 PM
Polite as fuck

I have not listened to it in two weeks.

Wasting Light was still hugely playable after a month.

I would put it closer to yea than nay though.
Old December 10th 2014, 01:43 PM
The Sidekick

Still pretty hit and miss for me.

It'll be interesting to see the setlists on the proper tour, which starts tonight. We know what they've played in the clubs, but I'd be interested to see what gets played on the proper big shows from the album. I can't imagine some of them working in stadiums.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 10th 2014, 02:04 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

also hit and miss, I only really like two songs
Old December 10th 2014, 02:30 PM
Polite as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Still pretty hit and miss for me.

It'll be interesting to see the setlists on the proper tour, which starts tonight. We know what they've played in the clubs, but I'd be interested to see what gets played on the proper big shows from the album. I can't imagine some of them working in stadiums.
Anyone who saw them play Subterranean might be the only people who ever get to see it live. I actually like that song, but it might render an arena crowd unconscious.
Old December 10th 2014, 02:34 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin View Post
Anyone who saw them play Subterranean might be the only people who ever get to see it live. I actually like that song, but it might render an arena crowd unconscious.
Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of in particular. They might try it once or twice like they did with 'Resolve' but I can't see it being a regular.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 10th 2014, 02:55 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of in particular. They might try it once or twice like they did with 'Resolve' but I can't see it being a regular.
I suspect WDID/GAMW is another one that they won't really play, I'd love to see Shifty get a crack at it, but I suspect if they ever play it, it'll be when Gary Clark Jr is opening for them. I'm fairly indifferent about the song, but it could be an interesting live one, I guess we'll see.

I like Sonic Highways overall, I was super proud when my younger cousin bought it on her own, but I still would have rather she got TCATS or Wasting Light.
Old December 10th 2014, 03:04 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I like the album a lot... BUT I cringe for some reason every time he rhymes "There’s mystery in this wood - And ghosts within these roots." I HATE the way he says roots. But other than that, I am good with it. I do agree that a couple of the songs will be snoozers live, but I like them on the album.
Old December 10th 2014, 03:13 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

I voted yay, but agree with Madness. I could have a definite answer in a couple of months.

I still consider it better than the middle of the discography (OBO/IYH/ESP&G), but the novelty could wear off. It will depend a lot on how much they play these songs in the future.

There are some definite "erasers", meaning songs the band will dismiss live in less than a year (GAMW/WDID?, River, Subterranean, Outside). But there are some that could probably last (Congretation, In The Clear, Feast & Famine).

Yeah I think I like it. Still have the plan to slice GAMW/WDID? into separate tracks because I think GAMW seriously drags.
Old December 10th 2014, 03:18 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
I suspect WDID/GAMW is another one that they won't really play, I'd love to see Shifty get a crack at it, but I suspect if they ever play it, it'll be when Gary Clark Jr is opening for them. I'm fairly indifferent about the song, but it could be an interesting live one, I guess we'll see.

I like Sonic Highways overall, I was super proud when my younger cousin bought it on her own, but I still would have rather she got TCATS or Wasting Light.
I'm not sure - I've thought about this a bit. If the music was written/planned beforehand, and the idea of guests didn't come in until after Rick Nielsen, then the plan all along would have been for Chris to be at the forefront and play in that solo, although it would probably have sounded different. I don't think it'll make a difference.

Old December 10th 2014, 03:39 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
There are some definite "erasers", meaning songs the band will dismiss live in less than a year (GAMW/WDID?, River, Subterranean, Outside). But there are some that could probably last (Congretation, In The Clear, Feast & Famine).
I voted yey - after watching the HBO series I've grown appreciation for all eight tracks, even the ones I considered "weaker" from my first impressions (WDID/GAMW, In The Clear, Subterranean).

Even though its been out for well over a month, I'm still listening to at least a few tracks daily. I think it's one of their stronger albums because of the cohesive narrative throughout, and there isn't a whole lot of filler (besides

As for what tracks they'll play live, I imagine they'll keep Something From Nothing, Outside, Congregation and The Feast & The Famine in the setlists. I think I Am a River would be an epic singalong live, but I'm in the minority (I love that song).

I really don't get the hate for I Am a River - yes, the chorus is repetitive, but I think its a beautiful song. The orchestra at the end really brings the track to a whole new level
Old December 10th 2014, 03:40 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajduffel83 View Post
I like the album a lot... BUT I cringe for some reason every time he rhymes "There’s mystery in this wood - And ghosts within these roots." I HATE the way he says roots.
there are more relevant/deserving things of that much hate/cringing.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old December 10th 2014, 03:41 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I'm not sure - I've thought about this a bit. If the music was written/planned beforehand, and the idea of guests didn't come in until after Rick Nielsen, then the plan all along would have been for Chris to be at the forefront and play in that solo, although it would probably have sounded different. I don't think it'll make a difference.
That's true, I guess I wasn't trying to say "they won't play it because he's not there", but rather "they might play it because he is there", like how we're more likely to hear Dear Rosemary of Bob Mould is around.

Last edited by SlipKid815 : December 10th 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old December 10th 2014, 04:13 PM
no one speaks

My partner, a latecomer to Foo fandom, loves SH. I don't. We were listening to "I Am a River" in the car and she was singing along. All I could do at the end was sigh and say, "Well, it ain't no 'My Poor Brain.'" But we've already got our DC tickets so we'll work it out.
Old December 10th 2014, 04:53 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I'm firmly in the yay column. It's not TCATS II, which I can tell bothers some people, but I like it. The 70's vibe is right up my alley.

Many listens later, I've noticed another lyrical thread that runs through the album (besides the metaphor of narrator as river). All of the religious/salvation references are in reference to the healing power of music/sound. The "Sonic Highways" are actually musical pathways to redemption. It's pretty nice that there are two main concepts running through the album: every song seems to have at least two poetic interpretations, and the interplay between those ideas is fun to ponder.

I've warmed up to the way the verses are sung on TFATF, so after a month, the only nitpick I agree with is this: I do have to agree that I Am A River could have been trimmed down by 1.5/two minutes and the song wouldn't have been any worse for it.