Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old June 14th 2005, 10:08 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Those of you who who were able to rip the CD in iTunes, what country are you in?

I just tried in iTunes this time, holding down shift, and it still skipped...
Old June 14th 2005, 10:09 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofight19
Those of you who who were able to rip the CD in iTunes, what country are you in?

I just tried in iTunes this time, holding down shift, and it still skipped...

i didn't have a problem with mine, put it in my machine, opened media player and clicked burn, all 20 songs are now on my ipod
Old June 14th 2005, 10:11 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I put the cds on my ipod and it sounds fine and I burned a copy for my car.. my program has a option that makes an exact copy so maybe try that : \
Old June 14th 2005, 11:39 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I just ripped both new cds using the latest version of itunes on my 1.5 gig powerbook....no problems so far
Old June 14th 2005, 11:44 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Location: Liverpool (The best damn city in the world!!!!!!" - Andy Bridson 2003)

Mine ripped fine
I'm a Kung Fu Fighter!!
Jesus wept... BECAUSE OF YOUR FACE!!

I dislike The Beatles and Green Day...and Mélodie
Old June 14th 2005, 11:58 PM
I'll Stick Around

Well, Target, Circuit City and Best Buy all had copy protected versions and I ended up and bought it at Best Buy since that was the 3rd place I went to.

On the computer it won't play in my ATI CD without skipping, it won't play in Winamp unless I get some license. Then I tried to make a copy on my separate CD-R drive and all of the WAV songs skip, and I tried to rip them as mp3s instead and they skip as well.

This means I can only listen to the album on my portable CD player, in the car, or in my home stereo. What good is a CD if I can't even listen to it on the computer anymore? Fuck the FBI and the music industry for making everything miserable for music fans lately.

Pretty soon it's gonna be illegal to even hear music in general.
Old June 15th 2005, 12:00 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Hey all, I'm new to the board and love the Foo-- but what caught my eye while reading the forum for the first time today, was this thread. My CD was ordered through Amazon and on schedule to get to my ears sometime tomorrow

Anyways, I did some research on the subject and found a great read about this: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

This college student did a report on this sunncomm software and found out how it works, how to prevent it from getting into your computer, and better yet, how to disable its protection after its in (so its not too late!!).

I hope this helps some of you guys, I know that I'm sure as hell gonna get the Foos' new CD on my ipod-- legally or not-- so hopefully this'll be a legal option for us all
Old June 15th 2005, 12:02 AM
Visiting is pretty...

oh, BTW-- for those of you getting sick of holding shift everytime you pop in a CD and, like me, fear of the one time you don't-- you can disable the autorun feature in windows by going here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q155217/

Hope this helps!!

Stevo
Old June 15th 2005, 12:15 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

ok, so i bought the copy protected cd from Target. brought it home and popped the first disc into my pc. the window came up to copy the album, which i did with the first disc, then the 2nd. i saved the files in the "my music" folder, then proceeded to burn myself copies of each one using windows media player 10. i tried the cd in my car, and it plays just fine...no skipping, nothing like that.
Leonard Nimoy: Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.
Old June 15th 2005, 12:40 AM
I'll Stick Around

I guess the main question I am asking right now, is as to whether it's legal for them to load a driver on to your computer without asking if you agree to it? If not, I would love to fight and sue this company. I've never even heard of these Suncomm schmucks before. I'm so tired of people telling us what we can and can't do with music.
Old June 15th 2005, 12:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino
Hey all, I'm new to the board and love the Foo-- but what caught my eye while reading the forum for the first time today, was this thread. My CD was ordered through Amazon and on schedule to get to my ears sometime tomorrow

Anyways, I did some research on the subject and found a great read about this: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

This college student did a report on this sunncomm software and found out how it works, how to prevent it from getting into your computer, and better yet, how to disable its protection after its in (so its not too late!!).

I hope this helps some of you guys, I know that I'm sure as hell gonna get the Foos' new CD on my ipod-- legally or not-- so hopefully this'll be a legal option for us all
I used the first link to get the songs onto my i-tunes after an hour or trying ever other tactic and failing miserably, and it worked like buttah baby. I now have them all on there finally. Much thanks.

"And what would you wear to work?"
"I have shirts...with...buttons..."

Formally Flyergirl14
Old June 15th 2005, 01:18 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMordecai
I used the first link to get the songs onto my i-tunes after an hour or trying ever other tactic and failing miserably, and it worked like buttah baby. I now have them all on there finally. Much thanks.
I'm glad it worked not only to help someone else, but also to verify that my ipod will be rocking Foo tomorrow night
Old June 15th 2005, 01:20 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Thanks Stevorino!

The link you provided above worked like a champ!!! I'm now able to disable the BS copy protection and put my tunes on my computer.

Way to go!
Old June 15th 2005, 02:43 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Total BS

I really haven't posted here before but, this issue with the copy protection has made me. I NEVER clicked to agree to allow RCA, Sony, Sunncomm, the president, or God (for that matter) to install ANYTHING on my computer. In fact, after seeing typically "DRM is good for you" window I immediatly canceled it.

Well, after reading the Princeton article I decided to check my system for the offending driver (sbcphid.sys). Amazingly, it was magically installed on my system. Honestly, this is completly ridiculous and a blatant disregard to the rights of consumers and as a citizen in general of the United States (I'd imagine this would be similar in other countries).

I know for a fact this CD is the culprit as I reinstalled Windows just a few days earlier and NO audio cd had been in it before I put in "In Your Honor". I'm going to try it out on my other systems though to see if this is a repeatable occurance.

I'm really torn on what to do here. I believe this to be a clear violation of my rights and I'm rather upset about it. There was no prior warning that anything would be installed to my PC. Companies should be held accountable for such disreputable behavior with blatant disregard to its customers.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with the driver being installed without your permission?
Old June 15th 2005, 02:47 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino

I was about to post that exact link, worked like a charm, BECAUSE they installed crap on my computer!!...People, we must remember that this is not the Foo's Fault. Even if it was a giant headache to be able to just listen to the album on my computer at a bit rate and file type that i wanted, It's not the Foo's fault. BMG/Sony has begun doing this to all of their new albums. I'm sure the Fighters didn't sit down and say "Let's screw over our fans". However we gotta let the record companies know that we're not exactly Thrilled with thier treatment of the the "always right" consumer.
Grab yer bricks and bats, we're going to pay a visit to Sony/BMG tonight...
Old June 15th 2005, 02:51 AM
Visiting is pretty...

got mine at target. ripped it in itunes and put it on my iopd without a hitch. all songs sound great with no skipping or anything. i think the problem may be mostly on Windows machines. I have done it on an old Powermac g4 desktop and on a new powerbook. when i put the disc in 2 images actually come up...one is the software and one is .aiff audio files that play in quicktime and itunes. no software ran automatically.
Old June 15th 2005, 02:58 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default wait...

wait where on that page does it tell you what to do to get it to work with itunes?can anyone tell me cause i just scanned it and I can't really find it
Old June 15th 2005, 03:32 AM
I'll Stick Around

Use the part about disabling the driver:

Start with a Windows 2000/XP system with empty CD drives.

Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu.
Double-click on the System control panel icon.
Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu.
Insert the Anthony Hamilton CD into the computer and allow the SunnComm software to start. If MediaMax has never been started before on the same computer, the SbcpHid driver should appear on the list for the first time. However, on some systems Windows needs to be rebooted before the driver becomes visible.
At this point you can attempt to copy tracks from the CD with applications like MusicMatch Jukebox or Windows Media Player. Copies made while the driver is active will sound badly garbled, as in this 9-second clip [10].

Next, follow these additional steps to disable MediaMax:

Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.
Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.
Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.
Equivalently, executing the following commands from the Command Prompt will deactivate MediaMax:

net stop sbcphid
del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\sbcphid.sys

"And what would you wear to work?"
"I have shirts...with...buttons..."

Formally Flyergirl14
Old June 15th 2005, 03:51 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Smile

Thanks Stevorino! The instructions worked well. I had originally burned the songs to a CD, but it was skipping all over the place. I followed the instructions and burned another CD - no problems.

Thanks again!
Old June 15th 2005, 07:45 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman
I guess the main question I am asking right now, is as to whether it's legal for them to load a driver on to your computer without asking if you agree to it? If not, I would love to fight and sue this company. I've never even heard of these Suncomm schmucks before. I'm so tired of people telling us what we can and can't do with music.
Yes it's legal, because you agreed to it. Shrink wrap, click wrap, and browse wrap contracts are binding and you're held to the terms you agreed to whether you read all of the license agreement or not. I know this cause I just finished up with International Business Law at university last week.

Sad thing is, I can't even find the damn driver on my computer to disable it, lol.
Closed Thread