Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:04 PM
rickoss's Avatar
rickoss rickoss is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hanging gardens of babylon (cumbria)
Posts: 2,934
Default

Have you not heard Free Me? :P
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:07 PM
Eric_Wayne's Avatar
Eric_Wayne Eric_Wayne is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 64
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcthree
I really don't understand how this band has gotten from their first disc which was pretty much a classic to this boring piece of shit of an album. I've listened to it about 10 times now and I'm convinced it gets worse with every listen. There's not 1 song on either disc that rocks. They've completely lost their edge which is very sad for me because I've had complete exceptance of their work until now. I think something happens to bands once they become successful. It's like they completely forget how to rock. In your honor, and best of you are the only songs with any value. I really do wish I could get my money back.
Another fan of music that thinks this is their fucking band....The motherfucking Fighting Foos have done nothing but right their entire carrer. Always going new places, and always growing as musicians. You probably have no idea about this either because you're not a musician, or you're a musician that sucks. Open you're fucking mind. You may not like everything you hear, but you can respect it. Because the F.F.'s respect themselves.
__________________
Go to www.prosevere.com & check out our band.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:15 PM
Asho_32's Avatar
Asho_32 Asho_32 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South-western Ontario, Canada
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicismyblood
Open you're fucking mind. You may not like everything you hear, but you can respect it. Because the F.F.'s respect themselves.
*quoted to emphasize
__________________
"I only came here to do two things: kick some ass, and drink some beer. Looks like we're almost outta beer."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:26 PM
Distortional's Avatar
Distortional Distortional is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicismyblood
Open you're fucking mind. You may not like everything you hear, but you can respect it. Because the F.F.'s respect themselves.
You sir are correct. I do not like GnR, but I can respect them because they are simply, legends. That's a very good quote, and means alot, just wanted to let you know that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:46 PM
fvcthree fvcthree is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Yes I've heard "Free Me" and I think it's been done before. Nothing really original there. Sorry. Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:49 PM
Posh Boy Posh Boy is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunny Old Leeds/Newcastle Uni
Posts: 20
Default

Yah, I think the most important points have already been covered by you guys; they're still the foo fighters but in many aspects they're a different band. Each album is very different to the last, or the one before that, or the one before that one.
In my opinion, dare I give it (!), Mr.Grohl and his merry men have changed a lot; musically there has been growth and certain aspects of their music have had to diminish in order to allow others the space to grow. Their new music has perhaps caused them to lose some fans, although no doubt these fans still treasure the previous albums, but at the same time they've also gained new fans, people who perhaps never heard this side to the Foos. However, more importantly, somewhere amongst these five albums is a line, a pattern, something which links them together and makes them music by the foo fighters (and I don't just mean the name on the album!). I'm not saying that just because you don't fall around this line that you're not a true fan or whatever, I'm just saying that 'In Your Honour' (I had to put the 'u' in there) is another side to the Foos, something that's always been there but never been accentuated...until now.

Personified music...I should be smoking something right now...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:53 PM
fvcthree fvcthree is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Well put. I'm curious because I agree with you, but which aspects of their music do you think have diminished?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 16th 2005, 08:59 PM
rain
 
Posts: n/a
Default

IYH is fantastic.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:03 PM
rosie
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i was so dissapointed when i first listened to it. after all the interviews ive read with dave saying it was gonna be great... it was such a let down
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:14 PM
YoungAmerican's Avatar
YoungAmerican YoungAmerican is offline
Never knowing who to believe
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Posts: 16,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcthree
Yes I've heard "Free Me" and I think it's been done before.
But isn't that what you were asking for?

Anyway, as far as this album goes, I'm pleasantly suprised. Although lyrically it's Dave's weakest (it's pretty fucking bad in that regard), this album does a pretty decent job of showing the band's diversity, which is the reason I got into them. I think that this album is the one that should have followed TINLTL. They actually put time into recording these songs, and it shows. For the rock side, they didn't have to rely on production to make it "heavy" (which OBO did, and you just ended up with a terribly produced album that didn't sound finished).

And although the vast majority of the acoustic side is completely contrived and cheesy, and ends up sounding like Tom Petty and The Eagles had an orgy, somehow conceived a child, and then shook the child until it went retarded, there are still some really good points. Over and Out and Still are stunning. Those two songs alone give me a great deal of respect for this band. Also, Virginia Moon is a fantastic pop song. This definitely shows that Dave isn't the one-dimensional songwriter that he was beginning to be pegged as.

I like how they're finally beginning to use lead guitar. That's something they rarely did in the past, and seemed to ditch altogether for the last record. The drum work is some of the best they've ever put out. Dave's voice sounds good again. All of the elements actually combine to make a solid band, and that was definitely lacking on One By One.

On the rock side, I could do without The Last Song and Hell. And on the acoustic side, Miracle, What If I Do?, Another Round, Friend of a Friend, and Cold Day in the Sun really didn't need to be there. What you have here is one solid album. But I guess that's how it works when it comes to double albums. The point is, I think there's more than enough material here for everyone to appreciate something. So you just have to take it for what it is.

Have they lost their edge? Nope. It's still there. It's just slightly changed. It's more complex. It's more dynamic. But no doubt it's still there. And the truth is, if they put out a record that sounded like S/T, I wouldn't be saying that.
__________________
- Brad


When someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES.

Suckle my e-teet.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:49 PM
Jill's Avatar
Jill Jill is offline
The Boss
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: California
Posts: 21,610
Default

Every album I read this kind of shit.

You know, the band has changed and evolved. Marriage, Divorce, Kids, LIFE has gone on around them. Their lives have changed, why not their music? Do you do the same things or belive the same things you did 10 years ago?

My God, I think if the band didn't change and evolve to what it is today I would have stopped listening after The Colour and the Shape.

If you want the same thing each album, this is not the band for you. Really.
__________________
My email: click me

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:49 PM
Eric_Wayne's Avatar
Eric_Wayne Eric_Wayne is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 64
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortional
You sir are correct. I do not like GnR, but I can respect them because they are simply, legends. That's a very good quote, and means alot, just wanted to let you know that. Thanks.

I really appriciate your thanks.
__________________
Go to www.prosevere.com & check out our band.

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:53 PM
raf raf is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London
Posts: 32
Default

I too at first thought the new album was not as good as all the hype.
However I am growing to like it.

I have noticed that the electric album, the vocal melody consists of loads of shouting. The vocals dont seem to be as dynamic as previous records.
I suppose with the acoustic album it does compensate for 45min of full pelt rock screams.

However I am liking it more and more.



BTW, What do people think of the mixing, it is kinda one by one style, all instruments quite compressed. ??
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 16th 2005, 09:59 PM
bruno...again bruno...again is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere in time
Posts: 31
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcthree
I really don't understand how this band has gotten from their first disc which was pretty much a classic to this boring piece of shit of an album. I've listened to it about 10 times now and I'm convinced it gets worse with every listen. There's not 1 song on either disc that rocks. They've completely lost their edge which is very sad for me because I've had complete exceptance of their work until now. I think something happens to bands once they become successful. It's like they completely forget how to rock. In your honor, and best of you are the only songs with any value. I really do wish I could get my money back.

agree with you but not a 100%. i think s/t is definitely a much better album than IYH but after listening to it a few times some songs started to grow on me. no way back definitely rocks and its totally foo standars. hard to compare this song or any other to the old classics but , hey look the way dave used to behave on stage back in 95 and nowadays.

so i just started to realize that the foos that i loved in 95 are totally different band from the one today. not only the songs but each member of the band.
watching the metallica doco, kirk hammet complains about the fact that some of the fans want to listen to master of puppets for the rest of their lives. but people change the way they behave or think and start to realize they wanna move into new directions. maybe this is what happening to foo fighters.

but i totally understand you. i dig the old tunes much more than this new stuff but im trying to understand and even like songs that didnt grab me on my first listening like free me or DOA. i hope it works..

ps. i love interpol and i think their second cd is a totally stand out but who garantees they gonna sound as good as today in 10 years ?
__________________
don't drink and drive
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:08 PM
rickoss's Avatar
rickoss rickoss is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hanging gardens of babylon (cumbria)
Posts: 2,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEskimo
On the rock side, I could do without The Last Song and Hell. And on the acoustic side, Miracle, What If I Do?, Another Round, Friend of a Friend, and Cold Day in the Sun really didn't need to be there.

:O

Agree about the rock songs, but the acoustic disc is seamless. The most perfect album they've done since TCATS.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:13 PM
Taylor's Girl's Avatar
Taylor's Girl Taylor's Girl is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Basement Of The Alamo (Indiana)
Posts: 244
Default Bleh

I don't like the new album much either... it's really boring... but I think that if I listen to it more, I'll like it. I already like a few songs, I'm just not really happy with all the use of the word "THIS" and it sounds like if One By One and There Is Nothing Left To Lose had a bastard child and forgot to give it an original name (ouch!) But actually, "The Last Song" and "Still" are definitley highlights for me. If the Foos are reading this, I'm really sorry!! I still love you guys more than anything but I'm going to have to give this album time!

(On another note, the new message board is kinda bleh... lol)
__________________
://Kelso Grohl
"I would've given my left nut... to be with Molly Ringwald."- Dave
...Taylor Hawkins... *dies* SO HOT!
[Saw Foos in Grand Rapids, Michigan;5-30-03 at the Deltaplex]
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:18 PM
kdavid323's Avatar
kdavid323 kdavid323 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcthree
If you think In your honor is a great album, then you're not listening to enough music my friend. Sorry Try AutoLux, Death Cab for Cutie, Dresden Dolls, or Interpol.
How can you tell one Interpol song from another? Really boring stuff.
I just saw them live and they might as well played one 45 minute song, it sounded the same to me.

In my opinion, of course.
__________________
"To fucking see your child grow up right, rather than becoming a crack whore, it's pretty great." - Dave Grohl


San Diego Street Scene - 8/28/04
Tsunami Benefit, Wiltern, LA - 1/17/05
Paladino's, Reseda, CA - 4/28/05
KROQ Weenie Roast, Irvine, CA - 5/21/05
Cox Arena, San Diego, CA - 9/27/05
Long Beach Arena, LB, CA - 10/23/05
Pantages Theatre, LA, CA - 8/29/06
Pantages Theatre, LA, CA - 8/30/06
Bridge School Benefit, Mtn View, CA - 10/21/06
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:19 PM
~Sophie~'s Avatar
~Sophie~ ~Sophie~ is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northampton, England
Posts: 194
Default

I'm gonna agree with Jill here...
Fucking hell... Can you lot not just be happy??
Its a good album, put together well with good songs. No you're right, its nothing like what the band were in 1995, and to be honest, i'm glad about that... It would be boring.
Why do you people join up on the postboard just to bash it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:31 PM
Holy Foo's Avatar
Holy Foo Holy Foo is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mexico
Posts: 15
Default

I remember this exact same themed thread for One By One.

It's the same about everything, people like something originally and then will never like anything else in the same way they liked the original, novel idea.

Star Wars, Jim Carrey, well, any sequel basically (except for matrix, those actually sucked) it's so very rare that anybody likes the second attempt if they were in love with the first.

But think about what the first attempt was.. It was drawing directly from their uninhibited pool of creativity. There was nothing to compare it to so, BOOM, instant success with great, talented music.

Attempt two. Drawing directly from their uninhibited pool of creativity. Compared to the first one...GASP! They're DIFFERENT!! Well, what is different must suck because it is NOT the first one.

I think it's something we do without thinking about it, it's just a natural reaction to something that is similar but different than the original. Rarely sequels will rise above our expectations, but lets be honest, it's a rarity.

Until you can appreciate each original work of art for being exactly that, original, you will always find your expectations shattered against the rocks of comparison.

I find In Your Honor to be the MOST rocking album out of all of them, even comparing them doesn't damage it for me. I literally crapped my pants on the part after the break of silence in In Your Honor. SOOO COOL!

Every song is rockin on that disc, but maybe it's because I was expecting something like this. I really like the acoustic as well, especially where Taylor sings. (come on Taylor's Girl, it's taylor...TAYLOR!)

I think it all comes down to what you think Rockin means. As far as I'm concerned it's a VERY rockin album, I don't know how to see otherwise, but that's MY personal definition of Rockin skewing my perspective, i suppose, but then, so be it. All I have is my perspective, I don't have yours.

I perceive that your taste in music is quite varied and not exactly going the same direction as the Foo. Might I suggest that you perceive the same and that you simply perceive your way to the return counter and be done with it?
That attacking comments don't do anything but create strife, but maybe that's all you wanted...
__________________
-"Anthony! Come on! Bob stole his car!" - Dignon

-"Not anymore! I've planted the seed of doubt!" - Master Shake

Elaine: He reads.
Jerry: I read!
Elaine: Books?...Jerry?
Jerry: Big deal!

Last edited by Holy Foo : June 16th 2005 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Got confused on the original poster
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old June 16th 2005, 10:35 PM
bruno...again bruno...again is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: somewhere in time
Posts: 31
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sophie~
Why do you people join up on the postboard just to bash it?
i think everyone should be allowed to post their opinion no matter its good or bad. i think its good for the band as well that they have some criticism. constructive criticism i might add.
__________________
don't drink and drive
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.