Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 28th 2005, 07:21 AM
Have you found your way around

p.s. I appreciate the fact that you're expressing your opinion without getting all middle-school on us. That's a first.
Old June 28th 2005, 07:29 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Yeah I understand the Middle School approach. I just posted because I wanted to hear the opposing view. I have very few friends who have listened to the album. But all my friends that have listened to it, despise it. This is a first for me, because most of my friends have different musical tastes and argue bands and such. But unanimously disliking an album, especially a Foo Fighters album, is a first. I guess, I'm just pissed off that they didn't go somewhere else with their creativity. Like, I love the concept for the album (acoustic and seperate rocking cd), but I think that it could have been done a lot better. There are just so many things that are weak (noted earlier).

Don't get me wrong, if Dave and all them love every part of the album, then fine, that's the direction they want to go, but seriously, a poor direction for an accomplished band. I'd expect something more different and challenging.
Old June 28th 2005, 11:57 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I'm a big Foo Fighters fan. Bigger than most here. I've been following them very closely since TCATS came out.

I like the new album, but I think the acoustic disk is where this album shines. There are some good rock songs (Resolve is my favorite so far, and Best of You and End over End is growing on me with each listen), but I really like Another Round and Cold Day In The Sun. Yes they are simple, but who ever said that a song had to be complicated. I know it's a good song when I find myself singing it in my head while I walk down the street and when I want to (and do) learn it on guitar.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I've always felt that each of Dave's albums has been exactly where I am. When TCATS came out, I was in University and dealing with all sorts of shite, and it really helped me to get through it (I still listen to TCATS from beginning to end when I'm sad and it cheers me up). TINLTL was good for me in a different way. It had a real, "I'm cool with things feel to it", I thought it was really insiteful. I thought that 1X1 fit with me again, "Done done, on to the next one", that's exactly how I felt in my life when that happened.

And now the new album, as well as rocking songs about putting the past behind him ("This is the last song I'll dedicate to you"), he seems to have a very retrospective and calm look at his life in the acoustic disk.

I feel like Dave knows that his journey isn't complete yet, but that he is very comfortable where he is. I mean this is a very busy married man who works on multiple projects at the same time (Foo Fighters, Nirvana (the boxed set that was released last year), The D, QOTSA, Probot, Killing Joke, etc, etc), and is so talented and makes his mark on each and every single one...

That's why I like the new album.

2003-Jan-16 - Auckland, New Zealand (Galatos)
2003-Jan-17 - Auckland, New Zealand (Big Day Out)
2003-Jul-05 - Boston, MA (Pavilion)
2005-Oct-15 - Worcester, MA (DCU Center)
2006-Aug-22 - Boston, MA (Acoustic Tour at the Wang)
2008-Feb-18 - Worcester, MA (DCU Center)
2011-Nov-16 - Boston, MA (Garden)
2015-Jul-18 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)
2015-Jul-19 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)

My Foo Fighters Gigography: http://www.samsmithnz.com/FooFighters/
Old June 28th 2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaiteej
...I just want someone to give me some reasons why this is a good album besides, "This album rocks". I know this argument will never come to a stable conclusion, but I just want to hear why people like it. What floats your boat specifically about this album. I'm very interested to hear it.
damn that's hard for me to explain. i don't always know why i like an album... either i do or i don't. i am not a musician and can't give you much in terms of musical technical jargon (i'm the drunken baboon playing air guitar at the party).

i don't like too many bands to begin with. REM, i could do without. RHCP, i think they suck and could never buy an album by them. i live near jersey, but still i always hated "the boss". coldplay blows donkey dick. offspring and green day lick my ass. i could never get into stuff by any of them.

on the other hand, when i love a band, i will stick with them for the most part. i used to love the stones, but finally got bored with them -- too long between albums and they just aren't as good anymore (and play the same songs w/ big band backup every tour). beatles were great, and even early mccartney, but holy shit is he god awful now. talk about going thru the motions, that applies to the older bands i used to love, like the stones, aerosmith and the who. i laugh when people try to say that about the foos because i can tell they are no where close to going thru the motions.

the point is that if i love the band, and even if they are no where near as good as they used to be, i stick with them. i still buy the stones (looking forward to their new album in august). i still buy paul westerberg. i still buy mike ness (and just saw him play in allentown). i realize that they aren't the same as they used to be, but i am always interested in their new stuff.

still there are bands that i love that to me, have not lost it at all.
soundgarden -- one of my favorites. i love chris cornell, but didn't like his solo album much. when the first audioslave came out, i thought it would suck, but hey, it's chris cornell. he wrote all those incredible songs so something must be worthwhile on it. well i think the first audioslave album is awesome. i'm so glad i didn't give up on chris or i would never had heard it. amazingly i like the newer audioslave album better and see a similar situation to the foos, where so many soundgarden/audioslave fans hate it. i think to myself "what the fuck are they listening to? this shit is incredible!"

now the same w/ the foos. i see a frequent number of old time fans give up on them, but in my opinion, they don't know what they are missing. i think the acoustic side is great - songs like Another Round, What If I Do, Miracle - they are excellent. but i think many die hard fans are missing out too, as they are so focused on this, that they are missing how great the rock side is. the entire album is just incredible, from start to finish. i said in another thread, to me it's one long incredible journey and i can't just listen to one track. i think the songs flat out kick ass! best of you, iyh, free me, deepest blues ... each and every one, they just rock (i know you said you don't want that explanation but sorry, i take the butthead approach).

and lyrically this is easily their best ever! DOA -- "take a good hard look for the very last time, the very last one in a very long line, only takes a second to say goodbye, been a pleasure but the pleasure's been mine all mine" -- i love shit like that, but can't explain why. End Over End -- "burn all the candles out, make a wish but not aloud, relive the here and now .... i'm a revolving door, i've seen it all before, i will begin again but i can't start until i've seen the end ... now that we're old and worn, a little ripped and torn, one day we'll be reborn ..." -- again, fucking great! "The deeper the blues, the more I see black, the sweeter the bruise, the feeling starts coming back, all the deepest blues are black" -- fucking awesome!

that's it. nothing more to add. i love it and think it's great and wish you could experience this like i do. at least you listened many times so i have no problem with you not liking it. my problem is with others that criticize it and you know they've only heard it once or twice.
Old June 28th 2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity
still there are bands that i love that to me, have not lost it at all.
soundgarden -- one of my favorites. i love chris cornell, but didn't like his solo album much. when the first audioslave came out, i thought it would suck, but hey, it's chris cornell. he wrote all those incredible songs so something must be worthwhile on it. well i think the first audioslave album is awesome. i'm so glad i didn't give up on chris or i would never had heard it. amazingly i like the newer audioslave album better and see a similar situation to the foos, where so many soundgarden/audioslave fans hate it. i think to myself "what the fuck are they listening to? this shit is incredible!"
I brought the Chris Cornell Solo album because of Soundgarden too, and I didn't think it was too bad... I also brought the Scott Weiland solo project when he split from Stone Temple Pilots, now that makes Chris Cornells effort look like a masterpiece. What a god awful piece of shit that was. Scott obviously has talent, but not by himself (I think Velvet revolver is really cool).

But I digress...

Old June 28th 2005, 04:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Alright, fair enough. We may still disagree, but at least I know more of the "why" (from 2 people at least, thank you). I know simple music can be good and rocking. But for me, most simple, minimilistic bands usually don't produce many good albums. For instance, the Strokes (for me at least) is a good exception to that rule. But having moved from the rotting and dying punk scene, to more versitial music, i've expected bands to challenge themselves in their new albums. For instance, I thnk The Mars Volta did a wonderful job with their new album. It's very different and still musically challenging.
I just don't hear that with this new album. It's just bad when I can hear all those simplistic riffs dubbed over simplistic leads (I'm a musician), and then hear taylor just proving that all he has learned from his years with the Foos is to digress into a walking mentronome (I'm sick of these accompanyment rock drummers). Like, I stopped listening to No Use For a Name because they kept doing the same thing and it wasn't very interesting (Chris was in that band). Maybe he felt the same way when he left, but now I'm seeing that with this band. Though, I know this is my opinion and subjective to the last, I still feel it a very valid opinion whether you agree with me or not.

But god, Taylor on the acoustic side, come on. I expected a little more from him. But maybe it was Dave's choice. Still, I expected a lot more effort and expansion on the acoustic side.

Which reminds me, HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan. Haven't listened to the new Billy Corgan album yet. Kind of scared to. BUT, I can't wait for the reunion album. That is, if Billy is able to get his band back together (which he said he could so, crossing my fingers).
Old June 28th 2005, 05:00 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I think people over analyze music too much. I go by my emotions. If it makes me feel something inside then it's good to me. I'm not a musician either so all that technical crap doesn't mean much to me. The Foos know what kind of music they wanna make more than I do. It doesn't mean I like every single song they've made. But this album I do like it. Both albums are full of emotions and feelings. That's why I dig it.

facebook
Old June 28th 2005, 05:25 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I agree with you a little PIsces (though I can't say your wrong in liking them). I think feeling music with all of your receptors is the only way to experience music. That's why live shows are great. You can hear the music better than you ever had before, and you get to visually stimulate the membranes in your ocular cavaties. But I can't very well listen to this album, for all the reasons listed above, and connect with it feeling-wise if it doesn't invoke some originality. I'm not saying that all my music has to be original, and I'm not trying to attack your version of originiality (that would be pointless). But this album feels so bland to me. Maybe I have high expectations for the Foo Figheters, but wouldn't anyone considering the prestige and the honor of being able to make original music for the rest of your life?
Old June 28th 2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I agree with you a little PIsces (though I can't say your wrong in liking them). I think feeling music with all of your receptors is the only way to experience music. That's why live shows are great. You can hear the music better than you ever had before, and you get to visually stimulate the membranes in your ocular cavaties. But I can't very well listen to this album, for all the reasons listed above, and connect with it feeling-wise if it doesn't invoke some originality. I'm not saying that all my music has to be original, and I'm not trying to attack your version of originiality (that would be pointless). But this album feels so bland to me. Maybe I have high expectations for the Foo Figheters, but wouldn't anyone considering the prestige and the honor of being able to make original music for the rest of your life?
You've paid the money for it. Listen to it once a day for the next week and see if you change your mind...

Old June 28th 2005, 06:14 PM

Cool

My husband only likes 4 songs on the rock cd. He won't even give the acoustic a listen cause he doesn't care for that kind of music. He is a Foo fan, but not nearly as much as I am. I was shocked when he told me he only liked a few songs. I was also disappointed cause now I have to listen to it when he's not around. Whatever, he likes stuff that I don't like, example Megadeth.

facebook
Old June 28th 2005, 06:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Don't worry, I'm still listening to it. I still only like the first four songs on the rock cd and only one (last song, and that's stretching it) on the acoustic. It's hard listening to the rest of it, but I still do out of habit. I've always tried to put a cd in and listen to it all the way through (It's only fair to the money I spent to give it all a shot more than once). I have to learn best of you on drums for my band, but I'm okay with that song. Which reminds, I better pack my gear right now to go practice.
Old July 4th 2005, 09:13 PM

Default This album was amazing

this one was great, its all a good album, i am not a huge fan myself but i have learnt a lot of there songs, and some of this is really good, its not too bad considering a lot of the riffs and all that are fairly simple, this album does kinda remind me of the old foo fighters, like the self titled and TCATS, nonetheless its all good, and also not too bad, i mean come on guys quit bitching on how bad it is, we all have opnions but, life goes on, if you don't like go whine about someone elses band!
Old July 5th 2005, 07:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Evil Swallowed a.........

Ok fair ennuff,opinions are there to be shared, but did you have to swallow "The Big Book of Rock Journalism" cos that's the way it reads! Ever thought of it for a living? Cos you sure can use a dozen words where only one is needed. Pretentious,affected,grandiloquent,there's a few to start you off......
Old July 5th 2005, 11:09 PM

i am not trying to criticise anyone here, i infact apprechiate and respect peoples opnions. ''big book of rock journalism'', hey i ain't even a journalist, but i mean i liked the album, its nothing against people that moan, its like people never wanted it in the first place
Old July 6th 2005, 06:49 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Evil opinions are like asshole everyone has an asshole so heres mine..

I don't know what you base you sense of taste on besides sperm, but its obvious that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. As far as review sites go, the only reason that those sites are designed is so that mindless losers like you who can't make you own decions will even have a point of view.
JD (everstomp)
Old July 6th 2005, 07:06 AM
I'll Stick Around

Lightbulb

Quote:
Alright, fair enough. We may still disagree, but at least I know more of the "why" (from 2 people at least, thank you). I know simple music can be good and rocking. But for me, most simple, minimilistic bands usually don't produce many good albums. For instance, the Strokes (for me at least) is a good exception to that rule. But having moved from the rotting and dying punk scene, to more versitial music, i've expected bands to challenge themselves in their new albums. For instance, I thnk The Mars Volta did a wonderful job with their new album. It's very different and still musically challenging.
I just don't hear that with this new album. It's just bad when I can hear all those simplistic riffs dubbed over simplistic leads (I'm a musician), and then hear taylor just proving that all he has learned from his years with the Foos is to digress into a walking mentronome (I'm sick of these accompanyment rock drummers). Like, I stopped listening to No Use For a Name because they kept doing the same thing and it wasn't very interesting (Chris was in that band). Maybe he felt the same way when he left, but now I'm seeing that with this band. Though, I know this is my opinion and subjective to the last, I still feel it a very valid opinion whether you agree with me or not.

But god, Taylor on the acoustic side, come on. I expected a little more from him. But maybe it was Dave's choice. Still, I expected a lot more effort and expansion on the acoustic side.

Which reminds me, HUGE Smashing Pumpkins fan. Haven't listened to the new Billy Corgan album yet. Kind of scared to. BUT, I can't wait for the reunion album. That is, if Billy is able to get his band back together (which he said he could so, crossing my fingers).
The new Billy Corgan is very worth a listen. And you're right about Mars Volta. I can't wait to see them next month with System of a Down- their new album is incredible and completely original
Old July 6th 2005, 08:15 AM

mindless loser, what the fuck? excuse me, i don't think so, i am a fan just like everyone else, i'm talking out of my arse, thats just out of order. i am not talking outta my behind, look my point is that it seems that ppl don't like it so much, it seems they don't want a double album, don't tell me to shove it up my ass, because i know what the hell i am talking about
Old July 6th 2005, 08:19 AM

and also another thing i can make my own judgement on things, what the fuck as sperm got to do with it,
Old July 7th 2005, 03:33 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I have no idea what's going on anymore in here.
Old July 13th 2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So I've read a couple of the posts on this forum and decided to sign up. I believe that I have listened to this album long enough to be familiar with it, and to decide that it is horrible. I've spent the last couple of minutes looking at review sites which basically confirm my thoughts (on the whole at least), but might arrive at my conclusion for different reasons. First of all, I think that the best thing that has come out of Nirvana is the Foo Fighters. I've always enjoyed Dave's creative input in any project or side-project that he has created or aided in some shape or form. But I cannot endorse this album as being great. Sure, you may say that albums such as “One by One” aren't totally artistic and complicated like a Mars Volta or a Dream Theater album, but it still held some form of rock n' roll creativity that kept your head bopping to new sounds.
“In Your Honor” is a great album for Dave's vocal abilities. I was astounded by the progression and definitely appreciate Dave's vocal melodies on this album. That is about the only thing I liked about it. The first song (In Your Honor) was sort of a tease, because I thought it was an awesome opening for an album. It had so much energy building up and the 2nd song (No Way Back) carried that energy over fairly effectively. I really enjoyed Taylor's rhythmetic musings on the end of that song. “Best of You” and “DOA” are alright songs, but after that, I lost interest in the rest of the album. There was definitely a lack of creativity. I was inundated with power chord madness and, at least on the acoustic album, uninventive chord progressions exploited so much that it seemed like Dave thought it they were genius. The only thing was, these rock chord progression octave chord lead riffs played over overdone power chord licks were the show case of the album. Seriously Dave, you were in a band that created a song called Verse Chorus Verse Chorus to make fun of the Pop song formula. Now here you are.
And Taylor, shame on you. I usually enjoy the way you surprise me with kick ass fills and rocking beats. Though, I know you are great drummer and can probably do better, I know that you adjust your chops to fit the music. That's great though, that's what every drummer should do. But instead of doing something creative on the acoustic album, you used all the stuff that people would think would be on an acoustic album. Thanks for not exploring and showing us what you came up with. I'm sure drummers everywhere feel the same way. The rock album is a little better, but come on, I lost count of the times I heard a standard drum fill that went from snare to floor tom.
You definitely turned off a huge fan of your work. The fact that you people write music for a living, something that a lot of people would kill to do, and wrote something as minimalistic and uncreative as this is beyond me. You have all day long to do anything you want (maybe not that accurate, but you know what I mean) and this is what comes out? Either you guys don't care anymore, or you have forgotten what it means to be creative in order to have attention and respect that one deserves. Totally disappointing. I needed to give my two cents, because I have been a fan from before the beginning. Please shape up Foo Fighters!
*tisktisk*
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show