Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 21st 2019, 09:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Question about recording guitar tracks

My music is mainly guitar based. For my guitar parts, I double up each guitar part by copying the guitar track, panning the two tracks hard left and right, and applying a slight delay to the second guitar track to differentiate it. I then group the two tracks and apply effects to the group.

Instead of copying the guitar track to the second track should I be recording an entirely new guitar track? I’m wondering if it will be easier to mix and what is the preferred way to do this.
Thank you!
english news capread

Last edited by Calumscott : August 27th 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old August 22nd 2019, 02:41 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Question about recording guitar tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calumscott View Post
My music is mainly guitar based. For my guitar parts, I double up each guitar part by copying the guitar track, panning the two tracks hard left and right, and applying a slight delay to the second guitar track to differentiate it. I then group the two tracks and apply effects to the group.

Instead of copying the guitar track to the second track should I be recording an entirely new guitar track? Iím wondering if it will be easier to mix and what is the preferred way to do this.
Thank you!
I believe the normal practice is to play it a second time. Or, play with different voicing a second time. So, maybe if first version is barre chords, the second version is open chords...or whatever a more creative guitarist can come up with
Old August 22nd 2019, 08:19 AM
Monkey

Default Re: Question about recording guitar tracks

I'd record another track from scratch.

If you're playing the same part both times, just be sure that when mix down if you're not panning hard left and right, that you check the phase to ensure one isn't cancelling the other out in the centre

2011 - Milton Keynes
2008 - Wembley
2007 - The O2
2006 - Hyde Park
2005 - Earls Court