Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 13th 2011, 11:56 PM
A star burned out

Default IYH Documentary

well, since I live where special editions are not released, I'm planning to buy an import of the IYH+DVD edition because of the documentary.

it is a bit expensive and laborious to get it here, so I want to know if it's worth all the work. I didn't see the documentary and couldn't find detailed info on it anywhere, what's the lenght of it? is it cool to watch? I saw clips of it on youtube, but there aren't many of them, unless those are all there is to it. any detailed info would be much appreciated, thank you very much.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old January 14th 2011, 12:14 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Default Re: IYH Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
well, since I live where special editions are not released, I'm planning to buy an import of the IYH+DVD edition because of the documentary.

it is a bit expensive and laborious to get it here, so I want to know if it's worth all the work. I didn't see the documentary and couldn't find detailed info on it anywhere, what's the lenght of it? is it cool to watch? I saw clips of it on youtube, but there aren't many of them, unless those are all there is to it. any detailed info would be much appreciated, thank you very much.
I can't even remember one minute of it.
Wait... did I see it?

I own it and I want to think I saw it and was completely worthless.
THE CDs CASING HOWEVER. SEXLICIOUSNESS.
Old January 14th 2011, 12:56 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I also bought it on Ebay and I am waiting for it to arrive.
I don't care if it's worth it or not, i'm a nerd. hehehe kidding.

• 05/30/2004 - Rock In Rio Lisboa, Lisbon - Portugal.
• 08/16/2005 - Festival Paredes de Coura, Portugal
• 10/29/2009 - Live from Studio 606 (:P)
• 07/03/2011 - Milton Keynes, UK
• 07/07/2011 - Optimus Alive, Lisbon, Portugal
• 20/06/2015 - Wembley Stadium (canceled )
Old January 14th 2011, 08:22 AM
Have you found your way around

The docu is about 15min and is not really saying more than "This is our best album ever" Nothing revealed at all

The CD paperbox is quite good. Nothing special just good. (I find the Japanese MiniLP cardboardbox more exciting)

If you are only interested in the docu it is not worth it. If you are collecting it is worth every penny
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 14th 2011, 02:16 PM
A star burned out

thanks a lot for the info, guys!

I think I'm gonna get it. it seems that it's not that big a deal, just 15 min of the basics but it appears to be a lot more than what I saw around the net. it's also a pretty item to have, not that I'm much of a collector, most of my stuff are magazines (been a while since I bought the last one [fooarchive to blame ]), but I think it might be worth it.

it is indeed the japanese import I'm planning to get, thanks for the suggestion of better package deal.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old January 14th 2011, 02:32 PM
The Sidekick

I thought it was ok. It's basically an interview with the four guys talking about the record, and about building/using 606. You also get a near full rough instrumental of IYH, played for the first time and you know about the White Limo overdub.

It's 19 minutes 46 seconds by the way.

The other bonus to the DVD though is getting the second CD in 96khz/24-Bit quality in both 2.0 and 5.1. It sounds stunning, but you'll need a DVD-A extractor to get to it on your PC otherwise you just get a crappy 192kbps AC3 file.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : January 14th 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 14th 2011, 02:56 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
You also get a near full rough instrumental of IYH, played for the first time and you know about the White Limo overdub.
yeah, there's that too and added with your additional info on lenght, it is better than I was expecting. not that I was hoping for a full lenght ultra detailed documentary, so compared to my low expectations, it is something cool to watch and and have on my shelf.

thanks a lot for those, Simon. indeed the audio part got me excited as well, that surely adds to it, didn't mention it because that's easier info to find, although I didn't see anything related to your extraction specifics, so extra thanks for that, I would probably say a loud WTF if trying it without hearing much of quality advantage over the original tracks.
Old January 14th 2011, 03:06 PM
The Sidekick

Yeah the higher quality audio is hard to get at. If you just get the DVD and stick it in your PC you'll get some options to listen to the second disc but it won't be HQ. Even if you use a normal DVD Audio extractor you won't get the high res stuff. For that you need a DVD-A extractor tool. This is the one I used. With that you can extract the high-res audio I mentioned above.

Like I say there is 96khz/24-Bit version in both 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround sound. For reference if you don't know CD audio is 44.1khz and 16-Bit, so you can see how much higher resolution it is. It also means big files, it's losslessly compressed on the disc but once I extracted it and compressed it again to FLAC it was 931MB for the 2.0 and a whopping 2.35GB for the 5.1 version. Over And Out alone is 291MB!

I don't think many people are aware of that being on the disc, but it really does sound amazing and the highest quality audio FF have put out by far, much better than CD.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 14th 2011, 03:19 PM

I have the special edition and regular edition for some reason.

I was actually considering selling my special edition of IYH recently, I never actually touch it, I listen to regular one - the nice box just sits there looking pretty :P

But yeah. I used to be a hoarder, but have changed my ways, plus I only listen to vinyl or MP3s now anyway. So yeah, not sure how much it would go for right now, but thinking about it for a while.

"There's a heaven and there's a star for you."
Old January 14th 2011, 03:43 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Yeah the higher quality audio is hard to get at. If you just get the DVD and stick it in your PC you'll get some options to listen to the second disc but it won't be HQ. Even if you use a normal DVD Audio extractor you won't get the high res stuff. For that you need a DVD-A extractor tool. This is the one I used. With that you can extract the high-res audio I mentioned above.

Like I say there is 96khz/24-Bit version in both 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround sound. For reference if you don't know CD audio is 44.1khz and 16-Bit, so you can see how much higher resolution it is. It also means big files, it's losslessly compressed on the disc but once I extracted it and compressed it again to FLAC it was 931MB for the 2.0 and a whopping 2.35GB for the 5.1 version. Over And Out alone is 291MB!

I don't think many people are aware of that being on the disc, but it really does sound amazing and the highest quality audio FF have put out by far, much better than CD.
whoa! I knew it was higher resolution, but had no idea how higher it was, that's huge! and I think that adds a lot more to my will of getting it, thanks again for going even deeper on that and explaining it better, will follow your guide on getting the best out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mc View Post
I have the special edition and regular edition for some reason.

I was actually considering selling my special edition of IYH recently, I never actually touch it, I listen to regular one - the nice box just sits there looking pretty :P

But yeah. I used to be a hoarder, but have changed my ways, plus I only listen to vinyl or MP3s now anyway. So yeah, not sure how much it would go for right now, but thinking about it for a while.
you plan on selling it on ebay or something like that?
I started a collection of MP3s and videos like a decade ago, for that time what I had was pretty impressive but only enough to open doors to more special stuff, as today they're everywhere to get. I should have kept going and trying harder to find trading circles, would probably have a much more impressive collection nowadays, I just didn't have the time and lost interest like most people do.
Old January 14th 2011, 03:55 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
whoa! I knew it was higher resolution, but had no idea how higher it was, that's huge! and I think that adds a lot more to my will of getting it, thanks again for going even deeper on that and explaining it better, will follow your guide on getting the best out of it.
No problem. Like I say I don't think many people are aware that high-res audio is even on that disc, I didn't realise until I was extracting the DVD portion and realised something huge was taking up space on the disc.

--
Old January 14th 2011, 04:31 PM

Anyone got a pic of the Jap import?
I can't even remember which import I have, UK I think. No pic but it was a four-fold digipak wrapped in a cardboard sleeve.

On each end (when unfolded) there was a cardboard sleevecase (brown/carton with the FF shield) and the DVD/CD.
Old January 14th 2011, 06:49 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
No problem. Like I say I don't think many people are aware that high-res audio is even on that disc, I didn't realise until I was extracting the DVD portion and realised something huge was taking up space on the disc.
glad you picked that up, I would probably one of those unaware of it.
Old January 14th 2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanFOO View Post
Anyone got a pic of the Jap import?
I can't even remember which import I have, UK I think. No pic but it was a four-fold digipak wrapped in a cardboard sleeve.

On each end (when unfolded) there was a cardboard sleevecase (brown/carton with the FF shield) and the DVD/CD.
I have the UK version, from what I remember it was a four-fold cardboard box, although quite chunky when folded in on itself. I think the bands heads appear in little shields in the corner - I may be wrong (don't have it on me right now).
What I do remember perfectly those is how difficult the discs were to get out of the sleeves!

Madness - I was thinking of ebay, yeah. Although I've never used it to sell anything. I usually just put stuff (singles etc) on amazon.

"There's a heaven and there's a star for you."
Old January 14th 2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mc View Post
I have the UK version, from what I remember it was a four-fold cardboard box, although quite chunky when folded in on itself. I think the bands heads appear in little shields in the corner - I may be wrong (don't have it on me right now).
What I do remember perfectly those is how difficult the discs were to get out of the sleeves!

Madness - I was thinking of ebay, yeah. Although I've never used it to sell anything. I usually just put stuff (singles etc) on amazon.
yeah, hard as fuck to get them out, especially since they had data on both sides. I probably have this one... Want to see the jappie.
Old January 14th 2011, 09:26 PM
I'll Stick Around

i remember liking idea of cd on on side of disc and dvd on other side
Old January 15th 2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
i remember liking idea of cd on on side of disc and dvd on other side
Do you mean the US Dual Disc?
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 15th 2011, 05:40 PM
I'll Stick Around

yes, I thought it was really odd but good
Old January 15th 2011, 06:11 PM
It's never ending

Hate dual discs, the only dual disc anything I own is a Sub Pop DVD with PAL on one side and NTSC on the other and it bothers me.

I like my In Your Honour with 2CDs and 1 DVD.

And the enhanced audio is defintiely a bigger draw than the documentary.
Old January 15th 2011, 07:50 PM
Lets sing a song of life and joy with us

heh, good thing the Documentary is on the first disc(I got the dual disc version). still is buying another copy just to have the second CD really worth it? I remember my parents borrowing that disc and now it seems to be lost.

Pat Smear is actually an android. During one memorable show in England he short circuited, electrocuting Dave whose hair then caught fire

Chris: "You guys, I couldn't hear myself out there."
Dave: "We all heard ya, man."
Taylor: "Yeah, we heard you just fine."
Chris: "Oh. Well, ok..."