Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 1st 2012, 07:36 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Summerfest in Milwaukee!!!

I have to agree about the covers. I love it when the FF play covers, but they kept the same set list they've been using since the festivals last summer. Every song lasting an extra 3 minutes makes it seem like they are improv jamming, but we all know they do pretty much the same jams on every song. Message In A Bottle was a nice throw in during Breakout.

Beyond the set list though, I've been seeing the FF since 95 and would like to think I have a decent perspective. There were things that I really missed at the summerfest show.

No Dave in the crowd, or solo, or on drums for Cold Day. Opening for the Peppers in 2000, he ran the crap out of that place, rocking out with nearly every section, plus he did For All the Cows being held up by fans in the first 10 rows before that. After about 15 minutes running around, when he got the stage, he played drums and Taylor sang Have a Cigar.

Pat is my all time favorite guitarist, but I think the heat really got to him. He barely moved or did any of his "cool moves that only Pat can pull off without looking like a poser" His energy was missed.

FF will always be my favorite band, and it kills me to rip on them in any way. They did play a hell of a show, and I don't know how Dave can run so much in that heat like he did. He sang great too. I was in section 7 and had trouble hearing Chris's guitar and often the crowd was singing louder than Dave. I guess I just don't want to see them turn into the Rolling Stones, and I miss the freedom of an open floor, getting kicked in the head, body surfing. It blows me away to see 40 and 50 year olds wearing FF T-shirts. I've been cheering for their rising success since they formed as a band, and I will continue to, but there is a "no going back" limit and I think they have reached it...probably with Wasting Light. Is anybody else a little worried that arena rock and hit singles set lists will never end? Then again, the garage tour was brilliant, and they are the most giving band you'll ever see.
Old July 1st 2012, 08:23 PM
Screams in silence

You know the Foo Fighters are 40 year olds. I don't know why it would blow you away that 40 and 50 year olds are wearing their t shirts and going to their shows. I would think Dave didn't run into the crowd and all over the venue because it was hot as hell from what everyone has said.
Old July 1st 2012, 09:15 PM
Have you found your way around

This was a festival show for the Foos. Meaning that they did not do the stage set up for the arena shows nor the set lists for their arena or small venue shows. It's like one of the posters said above - these shows are really geared to the people who are going to their very first Foo Fighters show. Think about the first Foo show you went to. Wouldn't you have been surprised (and disappointed) if they didn't play those songs from the radio?

Look, I think if any of us wrote the set list, it would certainly look a lot different than the ones they play. But believe it or not, this music thing is actually a business. Most of the people there had not seen Foos before. The goal when they play these types of shows is to ensure that the greatest amount of people have the absolute best time possible. And if you can't/don't understand that and actually don't get that you should EXPECT that, then you should probably not waste your money on tickets in the future.

Regarding the band not getting out in the crowd or being as enthusiastic as you would have liked: I was in the 3rd row in the pit. If you were not within the first 15-20 rows from the stage, you would not have any idea of how much hotter it was down there than anywhere else in that ampitheatre. I was amazed that they went at it as hard as they did, especially Dave. If you think it was hot in section 7, it was at least 30 degrees warmer down front. My husband passed out from the heat. The big dude next to me had to get out because he was overheated. And we were all just watching the concert, not rocking out, singing, running around, etc. I give massive props to the band for dong as great of a job as they did.

Sorry for the rant, but it really makes me mad when people think that a show is all about them and what they want.

Old July 1st 2012, 09:59 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
This was a festival show for the Foos. Meaning that they did not do the stage set up for the arena shows nor the set lists for their arena or small venue shows. It's like one of the posters said above - these shows are really geared to the people who are going to their very first Foo Fighters show. Think about the first Foo show you went to. Wouldn't you have been surprised (and disappointed) if they didn't play those songs from the radio?

Look, I think if any of us wrote the set list, it would certainly look a lot different than the ones they play. But believe it or not, this music thing is actually a business. Most of the people there had not seen Foos before. The goal when they play these types of shows is to ensure that the greatest amount of people have the absolute best time possible. And if you can't/don't understand that and actually don't get that you should EXPECT that, then you should probably not waste your money on tickets in the future.

Regarding the band not getting out in the crowd or being as enthusiastic as you would have liked: I was in the 3rd row in the pit. If you were not within the first 15-20 rows from the stage, you would not have any idea of how much hotter it was down there than anywhere else in that ampitheatre. I was amazed that they went at it as hard as they did, especially Dave. If you think it was hot in section 7, it was at least 30 degrees warmer down front. My husband passed out from the heat. The big dude next to me had to get out because he was overheated. And we were all just watching the concert, not rocking out, singing, running around, etc. I give massive props to the band for dong as great of a job as they did.

Sorry for the rant, but it really makes me mad when people think that a show is all about them and what they want.
This is what I was trying to say with my earlier post haha
Old July 1st 2012, 10:18 PM
The Sidekick

The main setlist is it what it is. We've known this for years now. As much as we can wish they're not going to turn into Pearl Jam playing a different set each night. Most people realise this.

The covers however are another matter. As you've all pointed out, many people are going to their first FF show no matter where they play and they want to hear the big hits, but they also want to hear Foo Fighters hits. Not other bands hits. Plus if you do play some of the lesser known Foo Fighters songs, you might find some of the newer fans like them and go out and buy the record they're on. If you play covers, you're not going to get that. It must also be strange for a casual fan to see the band in 2008 and hear them play 'Young Man Blues', see them again four years later and they're still playing it. You'd start thinking it was their own song if you didn't know any better.

One cover per set I can go with, but three full songs, when you're only playing 24 in total? Too much.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 1st 2012, 11:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Well said Chicago. I see your point. No idea it was that hot down there, wow. I know I sounded like I was bitching, and I didn't want to come off that way. Another point of view is always good.
Old July 1st 2012, 11:23 PM
Colors inside the lines

This was my tenth show on this tour and the heat was definitely a factor. Chris, Nate & Pat were wilting as the show progressed (I was sitting in front of Chicago).

And yes, I am bored with the covers.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old July 1st 2012, 11:24 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post

One cover per set I can go with, but three full songs, when you're only playing 24 in total? Too much.
I think we're losing appreciation for how many songs they play in the first place. Take out the covers and they're still playing 21 songs, many with jams and solos and other shenanigans. I'm not saying that's more than all other bands, but that's more than most other bands... So I can live with 21 originals and 3 covers, especially when In The Flesh? and Breakdown are included. For people who watch multiple shows or go to multiple of there shows I can see how this might get a bit old, but I don't think the newer fans really resent it all too much. I know there were many first-timers who loved the inclusion of Breakdown and In The Flesh?, knowing both were covers and loving them anyways. Young Man Blues maybe not as much cause it's a bit less popular, but it still rocks.

Last edited by Jake : July 1st 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Self-Contradictory *facepalm*
Old July 1st 2012, 11:42 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLeftToColour View Post
I think we're losing appreciation for how many songs they play in the first place. Take out the covers and they're still playing 21 songs, many with jams and solos and other shenanigans. I'm not saying that's more than all other bands, but that's more than most other bands... So I can live with 21 originals and 3 covers, especially when In The Flesh? and Breakdown are included. For people who watch multiple shows or go to multiple of there shows I can see how this might get a bit old, but I don't think the newer fans really resent it all too much. I know there were many first-timers who loved the inclusion of Breakdown and In The Flesh?, knowing both were covers and loving them anyways. Young Man Blues maybe not as much cause it's a bit less popular, but it still rocks.
I see what you're saying and of course back in say 2005 they were only playing for 90 minutes/16 songs but for me personally no matter how long they play I want as many FF songs as possible in that time. It's the band I love, it's the band I want to hear. The odd cover is ok but I just think three is too much in a single set. After a quick look on setlist.fm I don't see any other big bands playing that many covers in a set, no matter how long they play for.

Not that there is really any way to get a general consensus but I would be interested to know how many first timers appreciated the covers, and if they would have rather heard wall to wall foo.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 2nd 2012, 12:04 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Not that there is really any way to get a general consensus but I would be interested to know how many first timers appreciated the covers, and if they would have rather heard wall to wall foo.
I was a first timer in Milwaukee, and by the time they played YMB it got kind of old for me. I would rather have heard Bridge Burning, as was printed on the setlist. TBH, the only cover I really enjoyed was Breakdown, In the Flesh? was kind of boring

So to get to the point I would've rather heard wall to wall foo
Old July 2nd 2012, 12:24 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
After a quick look on setlist.fm I don't see any other big bands playing that many covers in a set, no matter how long they play for.

After extended use of setlist.fm, I've found that most major bands don't get up in the song count or set time of Foo.

Again, it was evident the people around me loved the first two. YMB, debatable (again, personally think it rocks hard as balls).

Obviously this is really all personal preference, but I think it's awesome that they give props to their idols like that, and still jam pack almost all of their big hits in their set. And everybody is going to have their smaller songs they'd want to hear (the For All the Cows' or Aurora's), but that still wouldn't please everybody, and I don't see evidence that it'd please the majority of people. And like you said, it's hard to get a consensus, especially when we're on the fan page for the band, where it's pretty fair to assume people will want more of the band's songs.

I personally was praying I'd get to hear their In The Flesh? version live, I was so damn excited when they played it. And I'd never turn down an opportunity to see them play Tie You Mother Down.
Old July 2nd 2012, 12:25 AM

Respectfully to all concerned Foo Fighters are an awesome cover band
an awesome band and have loads more energy than most will ever havae.

case in point
goin to see Chevy Metal the Dead Peasants or any other offshoots of Foo Fighters you'll see any nimber of covers
why?
Because these 5 dudes are versatile as fuck when it comes to playin music period

#2- Dave & co. obviously love rockin out, too just about anything- see em playin w Joan Jett now Mick Jagger now Roger Waters now Cheap Trick now Bob Mould
so the fuck whatŅ!
I just know music has no bounds and that Foo Fighters aren't too worried probabluy about what people think they should
Dave & co. have more than enough music cred and dont worry about bein too precious like some newer bands, you get what you get n theyre the real deal jack

#3- finally- Im 45 and I rock the fuck outta drims and bass in a shed a la Green Day old school punks in 90 plus degree heat-and I like to think I have great stamina energy but even I get tired after awhile,
nevermind the blistering night in night out near 3 hour tours that Foo Fighters have done over the last year

(Yeah ueah I understand that they have help for jet lag n a huge payoff
but even so you have to be fit to do what they do period.

In sum I love these guys,
put on any youtube videos and realize just how great the music sounds live be it Pretender Monkeywrench etc
I just gotta say I saw 20 somethings half their age wearin down at show last year...

so enough.shortchange shit until you can get up there with your group and do better

long live Foo Fighters
:>
Old July 2nd 2012, 03:00 AM
Visiting is pretty...

It is amazing how far they have come. Here, were talking about all the hits they have in their catalog to play live....and I remember Dave joking at the Riverside in Milwaukee once that they didn't have enough songs for a set list. That was his reasoning for the quiet breakdown in Alone + Easy Target. That led to Gas Chamber, Butterflies, Winnebego, Down in the Park, How I Miss You, early version of My Hero. Can you fucking imagine throwing some of those into a set list. They've evolved so much since that time. Adding Hawkings and Chris helps too. Dave is a legend, and there are very few other musical legends he hasn't jammed with.
Old July 2nd 2012, 04:47 AM

Regarding the covers; I have the same feeling about those as I do the set lists. It's about making the show awesome for first timers. I would guess that the first timers think it's pretty cool that a huge band like the Foo Fighters play a couple (or a few) covers. It helps make the Foos more relate-able to folks who haven't seen them before, because here is this huge rock band, playing covers of their favorite bands, which is exactly what a lot of the young heads in the audience are doing themselves. So here they are, seeing this massive band, and they are rocking out covers. And having a blast doing it.

Personally, if I don't hear YMB again I'll be just fine. But you know what? If Foos want to play it in the set for a show I'm at, who am I to complain about it? And I'll gladly yell back at Dave "...and a young man..." when prompted.

Siimon I, too, am curious about what the newbies think. One person has told us; let's see if any others do.

ps- In the Flesh was particularly spectacular Thursday night

Old July 2nd 2012, 04:58 AM
The Boss

First I was going to say something like this:

Quote:

Then I was going to say something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLeftToColour View Post

Now I am going to say, that I think no matter how much Dave and the guys try, you guys will never, ever be completely happy. Everyone has their favorites and what they like or donít like. I love this band I am happy to be present at anything they do and listen to anything they want to play.

Period.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old July 2nd 2012, 05:03 AM

Amen, Jill. You said exactly what I was trying to say.

I would show up to see them do a spoken word album.

Old July 2nd 2012, 05:09 AM
The Boss

Quote:

Thatís why we are buds LeAnn!

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old July 2nd 2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:

A Foo Fighters spoken word albums gotta be 100 times better than that Michael Jackson grammy winnin E.T. crud!

:>
Old July 2nd 2012, 09:58 AM
I'll Stick Around

I personally don't buy that if the band were to replace the 3/4 covers they do with a rotating selection of 3/4 rarer tracks from albums it would effect the 'business' side of the band nor do I think it would it detract from the enjoyment of the show.

As Studmore noted earlier no one expects them to turn into Pearl Jam and in many respects they are completely different band but their setlists are really something to be admired. Looking at the European tour they are on at the moment they are selling out arenas/headlining festivals and playing some old songs for the first time ever. I know if the guys were to do this some might not appreciate it but 4 minutes in the show that gets some of the (I don't like using this word) but 'hardcore' fans buzzing would also be cool.

I don't think the FF fanbase that go to shows should be underestimated in their knowledge of the back catalogue - yes i'm sure there are a number of first timers but i'm sure that there will also be a large number who have seen them multiple times - I think you have to find some sort of balance.

Saying all this I will continue to see them at every opportunity because I love the band.
SCP: HMV Forum
Old July 2nd 2012, 11:54 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I had an awesome time. Except for the people always leaving to get beer during the entire concert. Loved the Cheap Trick guitar. I think Dave got a little choked up when they brought that out. Yup, its the real deal. Check out -Cheap Trick - Surrender - Midnight Special on youtube.