Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd 2012, 11:35 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Message from Dave

again I say it's all so silly........See you on the next tour Dave! Thanks for the best anniversary present my husband ever got me. Foo Fighters concert and weekend Kid free.
Old October 2nd 2012, 11:55 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I hope the band enjoys the break and the next album rocks even harder.

Old October 3rd 2012, 02:00 AM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
From Dave Grohl:

Hey everyone...

Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact!) We truly never could have done any of this without you...

Never in my wildes...t dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn't think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But... I can't give up this band. And I never will. Because it's not just a band to me. It's my life. It's my family. It's my world.

Yes... I was serious. I'm not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it's good to just... put it back in the garage for a while...

But, no gold watches or vacations just yet... I'll be focusing all of my energy on finishing up my Sound City documentary film and album for worldwide release in the very near future. A year in the making, it could be the biggest, most important project I've ever worked on. Get ready... it's coming.

Me, Taylor, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami... I'm sure we'll all see you out there... somewhere...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Dave
oh Jill

Thanks for the post
<3
&

All at the same time!!!
I hope so and so excited about SC Movie
So sure it will be HUGE!
Hope all FFs get well deserved rest.
will miss you guys so much!
xx
Old October 3rd 2012, 03:42 AM
Yawn.

Enjoy the break, dorkface. We will miss you and look forward to the side project work that's to come.
my friend told me i should hve 120 babies tonight and i was like no &*ckiing way man that would ruin ky vagina and it would turn into like a wizard sleeve and flap at every slifght breeze of and babies are way gross
Old October 3rd 2012, 08:58 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

I wonder why so much is being made of it this time around? After Wembley the band went on a break and I am sure no one in the media gave two shakes about it. Is it just that the band got a lot bigger since then?

A break is good. It's been a great couple of years for the band but the time off will work wonders. I am looking forward to seeing the side projects and the movie.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old October 3rd 2012, 09:02 AM
Visiting is pretty...

[Last login 2007? Aren't I the social butterfly... jeez...]

I hope the "no big deal" camp is right, but it still makes me feel kinda' sick. Honestly not a total blindside, as Wasting Light and all that surrounded it felt very much like a meticulously composed finale (or a suitable "just in case" placeholder.) It makes sense, is perfectly understandable and well earned. Still a kick in the gut.

Grew up with various incarnations o' Dave & look forward to the next; though, as others have expressed, Foo Fighters have been there for and gotten - are still getting - me through some of the most signifigant trials and tribulations of my life. No matter what of life was't attainable to my sort, every few years I could count on a good ol' cathartic holler-sing-along and opportunity to see, hear and feel the kind of musicianship friends and I imagined of ourselves as kids (while spending early weeknights playing original pop-metal to 'enrapt' groups of a dozen or so tipsy regulars in small town southern country & beach music bars. "Play Freebird!" Ahhh, nostalgia.)

Foo Fighters have consistently focused on substance in a time when superficiality is law. They never once condescended to or objectified their fans (i.e., the only rack near my Foo tees is my own, thanks.) Hell, the closest they got to phoning it in got scrapped & entirely re-recorded, God love 'em.

Campy as it is, I always wished I could tell 'em how special they really are.

Sermon over, thanks choir. Seriously, thanks to y'all who keep this sort of forum alive.
Old October 3rd 2012, 11:12 AM
I'll Stick Around

I see a much deserved break. I see family time, the big SC movie, side projects, and time for all you guys to recover from that crowd surfing incident.

Seriously tho. i remember that one show in Va. they did in '02 where the security was catching crowd surfers up front like crazy, and this one hot blond girl totally didn't get caught. Ouch! Splat! Dave was rocking so hard he didn't even see, she went right over with one final toss.. it was funny. I think she may have even been the one who flashed him when he went to introduce him mom stage left. "wait, don't.. aw.. c'mon my mom is here! btw.. you might think about getting a lift.." ha! Classic Dave!

I mean how do you top playing for Macca twice and playing with Macca three times, rocking Wembly with Zeppelin, the Grammys, Number one album debut all over the world simultaneously, and a great documentary, and your biography being released? Pat being back! A SDRE renuinon, TCV, Coattail Riders, and Chevy Metal, signature guitars and drumsticks, etc..

I remember the part in the book when Dave was upset some music writer said "rock was dead", in 2000-01 maybe?. Then they released TINLTL. lol.. they may be the "token" rock band at the VMA's and rap and country are huge genre's right now, but rock will never die or fade away, not if the Foos can help it. People name drop Dave and the guys everywhere in no small part to them being a great band keeping great rock music going despite what's trendy. A break is well deserved!

Last edited by bostonkid : October 3rd 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old October 3rd 2012, 02:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I'm sure they'll be back. I'm happy and grateful for the 18 years of music and the greatest concerts I've ever been to in my life.

Taking a step back from the emotional side of it, we are lucky. I really think the Foos are the closest thing our generation will have to The Rolling Stones.

A lot of bands don't make it 18 years. I remember being sad when Soundgarden broke up, and they had been at it for 16 years...just saying that to make me appreciate how much we've gotten so far. And I'll also appreciate that the albums and tours may not be as frequent, but they will still come. The quality of their albums, the amazing shows they put on, the relentless touring, I can't help but imagine that a break would be so needed.

I wish the press wouldn't make this sound worse than it is. They didn't run these articles when the band did their own thing after touring the last couple of albums.
Old October 3rd 2012, 03:08 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
I hope the band enjoys the break and the next album rocks even harder.
this. nuff said
I love when Dave send us notes, thou. That's how I found out about the board in the first place
Old October 3rd 2012, 04:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Ive had friends posting the article from ABC news on my facebook page saying "Just making sure your OK." and my roommate came to talk to me after reading this message all worried about the Foos breaking up. Haha

Its amazing how people mix up "a while" with "forever"

Hopefully the forum doesnt die down too much during the hiatus!

Cant wait to see the Foos again!
Just Hangin' On

Xcel Energy Center 9/14/2011
Old October 3rd 2012, 05:19 PM
Polite as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Dude, he's a kid. I am a mom at heart. What a punk though, huh?
One day perhaps he can become a crotchety old bastard... It is a pretty awesome thing to aspire to, trust me!
Old October 3rd 2012, 05:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

Im relatively new to this devout Foo fan thing, but I've been a casual fan for as long as they've been around.

Wasting Light came at a time when I needed something to hang on to.

Thanks for being the life raft I needed, Foo.

Can't wait for the SC movie and whatever else the future brings! Have a good rest/adventure
Old October 3rd 2012, 08:45 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirabella View Post
Im relatively new to this devout Foo fan thing, but I've been a casual fan for as long as they've been around.

Can't wait for the SC movie and whatever else the future brings! Have a good rest/adventure
Ditto. I found out when listening to my daily dose of Foos and the ĎHiatusí news came up on winamp. Now Iím saddened and gutted I didn't get to see them in August. I'm sure they will play again soon, this isn't the first time they have taken a break and Dave wants to do other stuff which is fair enough.

Wishing him every success he deserves it he works so hard and thanks for giving me the music thatís got me through so much, even today itís got me though shit!
Old October 3rd 2012, 08:59 PM

They deserve the break. They had a great tour. I never thought that they'd bust out some of the old classics. It's been a great year to be a Foo Fighters fan.

I will definitely see them next tour.
Old October 3rd 2012, 09:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

A little surprised by the announcement since it wasn't all that long ago that Dave publicly stated that he was already preparing to write new material for their eighth album? Didn't Butch Vig also say on Twitter that he had already gone down to the studio to listen to the Demo's of some of the new tracks?

I'm hoping that Dave just needs a little time out to finish the SC Doc and they will have that new album and tour by 2014 because they will be missed.Also, a bit of a bummer that they were just starting to play some of the great older tracks that so many have been wanting them to play again for years.

How great would it be if they went into the studio and recorded videos for each of their albums and posted it on Youtube as they did with Wasting Light?

Last edited by TDL : October 3rd 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old October 3rd 2012, 10:46 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
A little surprised by the announcement since it wasn't all that long ago that Dave publicly stated that he was already preparing to write new material for their eighth album? Didn't Butch Vig also say on Twitter that he had already gone down to the studio to listen to the Demo's of some of the new tracks?

I'm hoping that Dave just needs a little time out to finish the SC Doc and they will have that new album and tour by 2014 because they will be missed.Also, a bit of a bummer that they were just starting to play some of the great older tracks that so many have been wanting them to play again for years.

How great would it be if they went into the studio and recorded videos for each of their albums and posted it on Youtube as they did with Wasting Light?
I'm pretty sure that Dave doesn't want to push a new album out at the end of the current one's release cycle!

A new album means all the recording, promotion and touring starts again and the band gets no break. Doing that could lead to another One By One.

Butch is probably also busy with Garbage's new album tour right now.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old October 3rd 2012, 11:27 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Smile Re: Message from Dave

Thanks for Cleveland!!! Was a great year!! Cant wait till they get rested and give us a new album!!!!
Old October 3rd 2012, 11:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirabella View Post

I'm in the same boat as you...I was woken up almost at 4:45 am by 'Arlandria' for the better part of 3 months (my ex was incapable of functioning his iPod) and wound up hooked on Wasting Light and Foo in general. Didn't take me long to realize that I had always loved rocking out to their music on the radio but never put two and two together.

IMO the Foos' enormous sense of humility truly sets them apart from other musicians (besides the music, obviously). Feeling like I could approach any of the band on the street just to say 'hi' makes the music so much more real, for some reason.

Looking forward to see what the guys put out individually during their hiatus, sure it's all going to be awesome
Old October 4th 2012, 12:37 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Canīt wait for the SC movie!!
And cant wait to hear from you guys as Foo Fighters again.

Please come back to Norway soon, we had a great time last time
Broke the P.A. and all

Take care guys!!
Old October 4th 2012, 03:41 PM

much deserved!! seen them at reading so im happy if i have to wait a while

really looking forward to SC! and sure will be other stuff from TCR and chris to keep us happy

maybe my son will be old enough to go to a foo show next time they tour!

thanks for the memories guys and more to come