Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 26th 2007, 05:07 AM
The Boss

Default Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

You know I made this thread for people to comment, hopefully respectfully, about the album if they were not happy with it.

Let the people say what they want. If you disagree, then go into the PRAISE thread and state your peace.

Don't come in here to start shit. Even if these guys are wrong and the album is great.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old September 26th 2007, 06:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Don't come in here to start shit. Even if these guys are wrong and the album is great.
Great is a term thrown around so loosely. Time will tell if it really is a 'great' album. It's definitely a grower but I think it'll be a modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin's 'In Through the Out Door' or The Who's 'Who Are You'. One for the die hard fans but not one that you'd necessarily recommend to someone who wanted to start listening to FF's.
Old September 26th 2007, 10:43 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your name here View Post
I've never done this before....here it goes:

Is it me or does this sound like a Dave Grohl solo project?

My first impression was...isn't there only like 4 or 5 songs that the band grooves on? Where are the hammer drums? Why are there like 4 songs that are acoustic openings and eventually morph into drudging rockers? Why is the same lyric repeated OVER AND OVER in every song to the point where you're thinking "Overdrive" wasn't repetitive. Can I hear a straight-forward downbeat crash every once in a while or does everything have to be progressive snare roll/tom fill.

Very wordy, tons of solos, (and by 'solos' I don't mean lead guitar, I mean just Dave, his instrument of choice, & a microphone), and not one but TWO piano ballads and an acoustic instrumental duet with someone NOT IN THE BAND. It's like Dave got a new piano, and learned how to do amplified pull-offs (ala Razor) and decided they would be all over the next album come Hell or high water.

And does every bridge vocal have to include 3 part harmonies that will probably not sound good live??

I understand what they're getting at with this album, (new directions, new horizons, musical freedom etc...) but can a brotha get a power chord???

The Pretender is SO MUCH different than anything else on the record (but sadly similar in structure and approach as "All My Life", with an opening MUCH too similar to Stairway..) that it's almost like that was conceived seperately from the rest of the record because there wasn't a strong pre-release radio single.

I'm not looking for twelve Monkeywrenches, but for Chrissakes ease up on the indulgences. Save the instrumentals for b-sides, save the piano ballads for the soundtracks, and get back to rocking.

Sorry, that's just my $9.99cents worth...

This is hands down the most factual post I have ever read on ff.com.

I could write a 3 page post on just how utterly terrible the new album is, but I won't.

The only two songs that I will ever listen to again are the pretender and erase/replace. The pretender is a great song which shows what made the foos great. Erase is a song with a lot of potential that 'just made the cut'.

The rest of the album is pure rubbish. ESPG is an acoustic album that sounds like a cross between Coldplay and Kenny Rogers. Now, that would be ok if the songs were actually good and not train-wrecks like they are. I'm actually embarrased that they even recorded Cheer up .. let alone put it on the album. It sounds like a ridiculous Hanson tune. The progressions are pathetically bad.

Dave repeats some of the lyrics that many times in songs that it almost feels like you want to tap the cd player and see if it's broken.

There are one or two songs which actually show potential as decent rock songs. This being, the ends of but honestly and let it die.

I don't know everyone else but I'm over the whole frikken acoustic stuff. Ok WE GET IT.

Foos really need to either:

a) Get back to their roots and make a decent rock album to follow this POS up OR

b) Hang it up and reflect with their acoustic guitars, zz top beards and metronomes on dave's porch.

I think option b is looking the better option if we are going to expect more albums like this.

RIP foos. You were great.

*23rd January 2003 -Hordern Pavilion

*25th January 2003 -Sydney Showground (Big Day Out)

*30th May 2005 -Channel V Studios.

*1st June 2005 -Metro Theatre

*2nd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*3rd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*25th March 2011 - Sydney University

*8th December 2011 - Sydney Football Stadium

Last edited by EVERLONG_01 : September 26th 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old September 26th 2007, 11:35 AM

Well said Winnebago85. I dont have to prove to anyone how much of a fan I am and use that to validate my opinion. Hell I just remember the band the foos were. I remember logging onto the old TINLTL version of this website and seeing foos making covers like have a cigar and releasing songs like stacked actors, breakout and generator. I also think how it has all been going downhill since OBO and can't believe how it has gotten to the point where I can say I can only listen to 2 songs on a new foo fighters album.

It's sad to see impressionable fans swallow this kind of "music" and say things like 'i love it, its genius stuff' etc. Some of these posts read like you are all waiting for a collectors edition including a snip of taylors hair.

For me it's:

1. TINLTL/TCATS (Can't decide. Maybe TCATS by a bit)
2. S/T
3. OBO
4. IYH
5. ESPG.

I'm not counting SAB as its a live album.

Old September 26th 2007, 12:04 PM
The Sidekick

things i dont like about the album:

Ballad.....

Totally pointless to put it on the album, it's not something you're going to want to listen to every time you put the album on. It would have made one australian very very happy, but i would think the vast majority will be dissapointed with this 4 minute filler.

Statues

I don't know, it just doesn't sound FF at all. It almost sounds like a boyband ballad.

Thats the only gripe i have with the album, the rest i really like, love Let It Die!

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 26th 2007, 12:07 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonzinger View Post
2 minutes.
yeah i couldn't really remember so i just guessed, i guess it felt longer! Still pointless.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 26th 2007, 12:17 PM

Mate, Learn to fly is a masterpiece compared to anything on this album...

And the Ballad of... what a pointless piece of crap. Reminds me of Razor and how much that was worth...

Old September 26th 2007, 01:12 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Yes various criticisms i have on reflection:

Erase/Replace- it starts off interesting, but it has a 'low' vibe to it, especially in the riff, but low is actually better. Erase Replace is promising the verse builds up- and threatens to be hair raising- but then it loses its momentum at the chorus. Far too repeptive chorus, and the vocals grte on me. But as a song its not bad, and i'm not dissing it by any means- but the song does fall flat.
BALLAD: This is basically a 30second filler guitar intro extended into 3minutes, i'm trying to work out the point in it. Its nice and all, the guitar work is good, but what is it doin where it is in the album? it doesn't work, maybe as a last track or maybe as a bonus song
Long road to ruin- another head scratcher- its somewere between IYH disc one DOA, and some alt country. Either way, i hate both.

I really like Cheer Up boys- but lets be honest it was only in there to lighten up the mood of the album nothing more, it doesn't add to it. But this album would be fucking dismal without it.

Statues- i hate this song. It reminds me of listenin to Coldplay or like wonderwall by Oasis. This was closer to self-indulgent than self-reflection. I skipped the end of the song becuase i realised this wasn't the foo fighters, this is a Dave Grohl solo album.

Home- this is more self-indulgent tripe. Dave was trying the 'all apologies' kind of thing that Cobain did. And lyrically the song is lovely and could have been a killer last track but the whiny vocals, and shoddy piano work. Makes it annoying rather than emotional. Listen to the part of the song when he goes 'some of them living some... of...them....dead (cue dramatic piano chord out of rythm).' Want emotional Dave? find How i miss you or Walking After You, this tries too hard to be Paul Mcartney, and i have no time for it as a last song. What a disasterous way to finish and album.

I'd also like to question why the only interesting rock is at the tail end of a 4minute accoustic song. Did we have to have a whole album of February Stars build ups? It loses its edge as we go down to 'But Honestly'- great song, fabulous ending....but we could kind of see it coming. And the fade out, was a rip of new way home. Maybe that would have worked as the last track. But what was genius about TCATS was nothing was predictable, and to be fair the first few tracks of this album were unpredictable....but then ithis gets waded into a mire of depressing accousticsand piano. And the end of 'but honestly' was a desperate attempt to liven it up rather than an exploration of rocking out.

The Pretender is the one track, that works from start to finish. Thats a masterpeice, Let it die is another outstanding accomplishment. As is COme Alive. And when they decided to rock out at the end of songs, there was some great solos and it was powerful which makes you wonder why Dave had to become self-indulgent and relinquish the momentum of the album, by 'experimenting' with his piano which was a bad idea. The girls will love it, but by the time we reach 'home'...instead of leaving the album in a positive state of reflection, i for one begged it to end.
I by no means hate the album , and musically its as good as they've ever done....but i only have this above IYH and One by One, becuase this isn't the foo fighters at all it was at times Dave trying too hard.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
Edinburgh-Meadowbank 2007/
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 26th 2007, 01:23 PM

Songs like Stacked Actors are a fine example of dynamics and I feel that this kind of approach would have made the album better for me... They have similar things going on, only all with electric guitars and delay effects instead of dry old man acoustic guitars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 26th 2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Songs like Stacked Actors are a fine example of dynamics and I feel that this kind of approach would have made the album better for me... They have similar things going on, only all with electric guitars and delay effects instead of dry old man acoustic guitars.
dry old man accoustic guitars!!lol! the real problem is the fucking pianos for me, holy shit.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 26th 2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong_farp_rock View Post
dry old man accoustic guitars!!lol! the real problem is the fucking pianos for me, holy shit.
well from the second I heard that they would have a piano track I was distraut. This was months ago. Glad it's only on 2 songs but as stated by someone else in here, that sort of thing should be left out for solo projects.

Unless they put "Lick My Love Pump" on the next album, NO MORE PIANOS DAVE

In fact I'd like to hunt down whoever it was who bought him that piano for his birthday and slap them over the head with an acoustic guitar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 26th 2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
well from the second I heard that they would have a piano track I was distraut. This was months ago. Glad it's only on 2 songs but as stated by someone else in here, that sort of thing should be left out for solo projects.

Unless they put "Lick My Love Pump" on the next album, NO MORE PIANOS DAVE

In fact I'd like to hunt down whoever it was who bought him that piano for his birthday and slap them over the head with an acoustic guitar.
Actually it's 3 songs. Summer's End also has piano. The liner notes state both Dave & Taylor play piano on that one, and a fantastic track I might add. I agree w/ Statues, it is still my least favorite. Not horrible by any means but just the one I'll likely skip. Home however works for me, kind of the same way that Still did on IYH.
Old September 26th 2007, 02:00 PM
Bessy_Grohl

*edit*

never mind, i was too quick to judge. i think i like it

Last edited by Bessy_Grohl : September 26th 2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old September 26th 2007, 02:27 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLONG_01 View Post
For me it's:

1. TINLTL/TCATS (Can't decide. Maybe TCATS by a bit)
2. S/T
3. OBO
4. IYH
5. ESPG.

I'm not counting SAB as its a live album.
For me, it's:

1. TCATS/TINLTL (Can't decide. Maybe TCATS by a bit)
3. OBO/IYH
5. S/T
6. ESPG
Old September 26th 2007, 02:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
It was his wife.
Old September 26th 2007, 02:40 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotzy View Post
It was his wife.
Respect the wife.

No, but I'm not totally against piano. I just don't like them cramming it down our throats because he just happened to get one. It's like "look what I can do" since he got the piano... the kid that's showing off.

They need to drop it next album and get back to their roots. One piano/acoustic song is alright but I don't need an album worth. I'll listen to Coldplay and Jack Johnson (which by the way, suck also).
Old September 26th 2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneisKing1389 View Post

They need to drop it next album and get back to their roots. One piano/acoustic song is alright but I don't need an album worth. I'll listen to Coldplay and Jack Johnson (which by the way, suck also).

DAVE'S gotten kinda self-indulgent for my liking. I agree with you, its a bit show-offy. And does nothing but- for me, hinder an other wise fine album. And Statues is horribly like Coldplay. *shivers* i fuckin hate coldplay. For me home was overkill, they had a whole album of accoustics in IYH, a whole recorded live tour of acocustics, and 3/4 of this album accoustics....did they really need to end the song on back to back piano numbers? Overkill really.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 26th 2007, 04:13 PM

posts like this http://bbs.foofighters.com/showpost....&postcount=233

make me wonder if I have the same album.

Old September 26th 2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
posts like this http://bbs.foofighters.com/showpost....&postcount=233

make me wonder if I have the same album.
LOL!! me too. Maybe the songs that saved rock- will appear if i can bring myself to listen to the last minute of home, maybe there are 10 hidden tracks that rock to fuck....doubt it though.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 26th 2007, 06:40 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam_dip View Post
Great is a term thrown around so loosely. Time will tell if it really is a 'great' album. It's definitely a grower but I think it'll be a modern day equivalent of Led Zeppelin's 'In Through the Out Door' or The Who's 'Who Are You'. One for the die hard fans but not one that you'd necessarily recommend to someone who wanted to start listening to FF's.
Dude, it's subjective. I use the term great when I like something. My belief of what is great isn't going to be yours.

Will it be the album I read for when I feel like Foo? I don't know. That's been TCATS for years. But, it's better than One by One which I never listen to and it might be better than IYH to me.

It's all good.

If I was recommending an album to get someone into Foo it would be TINLTL by the way..

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond