Have you guy's seen the new triple flavor slurpee cups at 7-11? I'm immersed in one at the moment (1:24 am) and I have to say that it's the most exciting treat 7-11 has had to offer since the chili and cheese machine for the big bites. I'm drinking it like a three course meal. I begin with the cola flavor as an appetizer, then on to cherry for the main course, and end it with a nice lime dessert. It's the little things that make life worth living, you know?
Isolation is a weird trip, man........(use a hippy voice as you read that last line). You get to the point where leaving the basement is not unlike that scene from Apocalypse Now where Chef walks into the jungle for some mango's after smoking a huge joint, only to be scared shitless by a ferocious tiger. He winds up back on the boat shaking and crying...."never get off the boat....never get off the boat".......that's kinda where we're at. We went out to see Iggy Pop the other night, and being around a few thousand people was pretty bizarre. Our universe has been stripped down to a list of songs, meters blinking in the red, and piles of used drum heads. We are all starting to look like Tom Hanks from Cast Away...........
Today was productive.......One more song down....this one is called "Asshole", although I think I might change the title because I'm not so sure that Carson Daily will be able to introduce the video to all the little kiddies unless I do. Tentative titles are tricky, because more often than not they stick. I guess we'll see what happens with this one.....it kicks though.
This album is definitely gonna get Taylor on the cover of "Most Kickass Drummer" magazine. There are songs that are pretty straight ahead....no Moby Dick action......and then there are a few where Taylor really steps out and shows everyone that a 7/8 time signature is not only fun to dance to, but oddly satisfying. Kind of like all the Trigonometry problems you could never answer. Kasper is making the drums sound so fucking great. For all of you newcomers, go dig through your older brothers record collection and listen to the last Soundgarden record. See.........I told ya so....
Did I tell you about our trip to COSTCO the other day? We went for all of our bulk provision needs (Gus, Taylor and I) and spent hours and hours debating over which twenty pound bag of Dorito's to buy. Not really......but we were surprised to find that they sell pianos at COSTCO. They had a digital piano there for 25,000 dollars. It had speaker built in, and a microphone, so Taylor sat down and played the theme from "Cheers" to a warehouse of a few hundred people. It was honestly one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life................don't expect any of that on this album (unfortunately).
OK......so I usually go to sleep at around 5 am, so expect a lot more of these late night rantings. I have a theory that when your sleeping habits are turned around like mine are at the moment, your brain goes into overdrive after midnight because it's used to dreaming at this time of the night, therefore somehow making you more creative...........or something like that. Who knows, maybe I'm just getting weirder and weirder. Hey man.......nothing wrong with weird. Weird = fun as far as I'm concerned.
Gotta run.......I missed the Victoria's Secret show on ABC tonight, so I'm praying that they'll re-run it before I go to bed. It gets lonely here in the studio....sometimes you need a little bit of the outside world to turn you on.
Later, Dave