Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 30th 2013, 06:58 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: In Utero Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlaze View Post
I Bought that version too.
Super Deluxe was like 60 for something that will end up being sold for about 15-20 in the near future
Its being sold for an average of 86 where I've looked. Ridiculously overpriced.

I've bought the super-deluxe versions of a number of things, but as much as I'd like the live CD I ain't paying an extra 73 for it! I have a number of Nirvana live albums and bootlegs so this isn't really a must have.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old October 2nd 2013, 11:21 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
as much as I'd like the live CD I ain't paying an extra 73 for it!
You would? And what would you do with it? Don't you have your DVD player and your CD player connected to the same amp and speakers? If so, then why would you want a shorter version with lower sound quality and no picture? And with iPods, it's not even as if people walk down the road listening to a CD/discman any more, so I just fail to see any advantage... If a 3-disc set was availlable, I'd actually choose that over a 4-disc set because I think it would be a better package, because I actually don't want to possess the CD.
Old October 3rd 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1chard View Post
... I actually don't want to possess the CD.
ummm... ok, but i do.
Old October 3rd 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1chard View Post
You would? And what would you do with it? Don't you have your DVD player and your CD player connected to the same amp and speakers? If so, then why would you want a shorter version with lower sound quality and no picture? And with iPods, it's not even as if people walk down the road listening to a CD/discman any more, so I just fail to see any advantage... If a 3-disc set was availlable, I'd actually choose that over a 4-disc set because I think it would be a better package, because I actually don't want to possess the CD.
I think you misread my post as I think you are agreeing with me on the price and value for money points.

I personally don't buy live DVDs often as I don't like sitting at home in a chair watching a gig recorded at some point in the past. I can sit and listen to a live concert CD though while working/travelling.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Old October 5th 2013, 12:31 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
I think you misread my post as I think you are agreeing with me on the price and value for money points.
Yes I am. I'm saying that they are asking about 60 for a live CD, for a show you would already own a superior version of. This alone proves they don't have any idea of the best way to release the material. It's beyond idiotic.

But further than that, I'm making the additional point that I wouldn't even pay 0 for such a live CD when a DVD or BD comes in the same package (or is available standalone). It pains me to think of the whole project team at Geffen sitting in a room for weeks and weeks trying to make the most of it, and of them completely wasting their time because a different team is working on the DVD (ie a superior version). And to make it worse, the fans are expexted to pay the wages of that duplicate team. Then you add the fact that they have instantly increased their manufacturing/storage/transport costs and environmental damage by 33%...

Quote:
I personally don't buy live DVDs often as I don't like sitting at home in a chair watching a gig recorded at some point in the past. I can sit and listen to a live concert CD though while working/travelling.
But the majority of people who work or travel listen to their music via MP3s, because they don't want to take their heavy CD collection on holiday with them (luggage allowance, risk of loss or damage, whatever). If these people were on Geffen's radar, they would just put the DVD out without copy protection, and allow people to rip their own MP3s (or even rip the whole video straight to their phone/iPod/iPad/desktop/laptop)... The video+audio IS the concert, so you might as well have the whole thing. If you play the concert and choose not to watch the visual part of it, that's up to the individual (I often put a DVD on and don't turn on my TV). But at leas you have the choice.
Old October 5th 2013, 02:26 PM
The Sidekick

It's not like CD/DVD live concert sets are a new thing, it's just this time it's been combined with other things and put into an overpriced box. Not everyone knows how to extract audio from a DVD so they prefer the convenience of a CD.

For me the biggest issue with this set in general is the DVD. The video is from 1993 and so naturally it's standard definition, 4:3 footage. Instead of just encoding it as 4:3 and allowing people's TVs and DVD players to display it correctly adding black bars on 16:9 displays they've actually wasted 25% of the resolution hard encoding black bars onto the footage. That means if you want to watch it on a 4:3 display you'll have black bars around the whole video and if you should want to watch it zoomed to fill a 16:9 display you can't. Madness.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 6th 2013, 09:37 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's actually not, amazingly. Yes, a 2013 major label rock album that isn't loud war mastered. Amazing the influence Albini can have on the final product, every Nirvana release since 2002 has been brickwalled.
Even the 1993 first release of IU was brickwalled.

www.foofighterslive.com - If you recorded a Foo Fighters or a Nirvana concert or know someone who did, please let me know!
"Crime is redeemed by remorse, but not by a blow of the axe or slipknot. Blood has to be washed by tears but not by blood." - Victor Hugo.
Old October 9th 2013, 06:54 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I got round to picking up the Deluxe Edition (my local HMV store didn't have the DVD in as they are about to go bust and shut down). Seems there are two slightly different versions of the DE- one has thick stretchy shrinkwrap, with the gold sticker on the inside (ie stuck directly to the box), while the other one has thinner glossy shrinkwrap, and the gold sticker on the outside of everything. I can only assume they are from two different batches?

I've only listened to each disc once, and it was late at night while I was doing something else, so I wasn't paying full attention, but my first impressions are pretty good. I especially like some of the instrumental demos on CD2...

Quote:
It's not like CD/DVD live concert sets are a new thing
They were never that common though... I have a greatest hits album from the band Live, and back in 2004 they were quite few and far between. There's kind of no point, when they want to release a concert, they might as well just put out the visuals on DVD or BD (both of which have higher sound quality than any other mainstream audio-only format). Anything more than that is just purchase incentive filler. Especially true when you get 3 or even 4 versions of the same movie in the same package.

Quote:
naturally it's standard definition, 4:3 footage. Instead of just encoding it as 4:3 and allowing people's TVs and DVD players to display it correctly adding black bars on 16:9 displays they've actually wasted 25% of the resolution hard encoding black bars onto the footage
I blame the Americans and their slow acceptance of widescreen. In July 2000, the UK TV industry began accepting only widescreen commercials, with around 80% of programmes already being shown in widescreen at that point (a number which had been steadily ramping up since the mid '90s). If the US had adopted it earlier, this would all have been a different story.
Old October 23rd 2013, 07:44 PM
Fooper!

For those who like to collect vinyl, the next record store day will have the 2013 mix of In Utero on clear vinyl.
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old November 29th 2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
For those who like to collect vinyl, the next record store day will have the 2013 mix of In Utero on clear vinyl.
Picked up a copy of this today.

There wasn't a great deal of things released in the Black Friday RSD, and some of it was late in so I went home after getting this.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May