Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 8th 2012, 01:15 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: Ok so wht foo track got you hooked???

I got a weak memory that I listened to "Next year" when I was younger and I liked it. Of some reason I didn't explore the FF more back then. It wasn't until ESPG that I got hooked forever. I had just got my first job and that album became sort of the 'album of that time'. I guess it's still my favourite album.
Old October 8th 2012, 05:47 PM
winnebago/butterflies

when i first heard marigold i wanted dave to make an album.
Old October 19th 2012, 03:08 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I loved The Colour and the Shape but what SOLD me was Dave's acoustic version of Everlong on the Howard Stern show...I heard it "live" that day and have been a Foo ever since.
Old October 21st 2012, 09:34 AM
Have you found your way around

Oh Man,I'll never forget it.My then-bassist and I were driving somewhere and "This Is A Call" came on the radio about 15 minutes after the DJ had given it no small amount of pimping...I thought it rocked,and exclaimed that I would be buying the album a.s.a.p. The bassist said "I think it sucked...Didn't sound enough like Nirvana...One hit wonder...Blahblahblah.I told him he was whacked and Foo would be huge! He bet me $100 that they wouldn't be around in five years. Not only did he pay up,he bought me the UK "My Hero"CD single with "Baker Street" to "congratulate me for being right about something for the first time ever!" Great times!
Old October 22nd 2012, 03:20 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I'll Stick Around... ahhh the memories...
Old October 26th 2012, 05:41 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I'm VERY new to this board: first post! I sort of did this backwards....

I knew a few foos tracks before, especially was familiar with "Best of You" and a cover of Prince's "Darling Nikki," but I was hooked more by Dave's Grammy speech this past spring. When I heard his acceptance speech for "Best Rock Performance," and I heard him talking about learning to do your craft, and talking about what matters is what goes on in the heart and mind, I decided I needed to check out "Wasting Light."

What I found, I liked a lot. I started, actually, with an acoustic youtube video of Dave doing "Walk" in a little storage container thing, I think the thing was labeled with 3FM. Then, I had heard the studio version of "The Pretender" before, but the acoustic "Walk" link led me to the acoustic "Pretender" video from the same day. I decided this was extremely cool.

Next, I decided to purchase "Wasting Light" and give the whole album a try. From there, I've hardly been able to stay away from purchasing more and more Foos music.

The sad part, to me, is I was about three months too late getting "hooked" -- and the tour was coming to a close!

Now that I have listened repeatedly to a LOT of their back catalog, I've decided the song that has me mesmerized is "I Should Have Known."

It's hard to explain when an album hits you "at a time" when you seem to need it most, but that's exactly what "Wasting Light" has done.

Sorry for the long intro and looooong post about this! LOL I've been talking to my family and friends for months on end about Foo Fighters, and I can tell they don't quite "get it." But that's okay! I'm a bit of a music maniac -- when I like something a lot, I tend to *really really like it!* :)
Old January 1st 2015, 03:43 AM
Foo Pilot

Monkey Wrench
Old January 4th 2015, 12:18 AM
Have you found your way around

I was a huge Nirvana fan (still am) in my early teens. So when the Foos debut album came out I got hooked instantly. I remember being on vacation with my parents in Italy and San Marino and there were Foo adds in every record store and I knew it was two of the guys from Nirvanaso I obviously bought the album. And I loved it from the very beginning. The songs that got me hooked were This is a Call and Ill Stick Around, To this day they are still my favorite tracksI was blown away immediately

I dont listen that much to the Foos anymore but every once in a while I put on the first three albums + Wasting Lights and I enjoy listening to them everytime!

fu*k, thats twenty fooking years ago

Cut me some slack!
Old January 4th 2015, 08:24 PM
no one speaks

It seemed like the only FF video in the MTV rotation in the late 90s (when MTV still showed videos) was I'll Stick Around. There was just enough of a hint of Dave's showmanship in it to haul me in.
Old January 4th 2015, 10:12 PM
Normal

My dear friend has been a huge FF fan from the beginning and if i remember it correctly it was Tired of You that hit home when he played it for me.
Old March 7th 2015, 12:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

Best Of You...

However, I think it was Best Of You that cemented my Foo fandom.. I recall tracks like Big Me when they were released, and liking the video, then through My Hero, and tracks like Learn To Fly, Breakout, All My Life, i liked them, but in a casual way, it was with In Your Honor that I started buying all the albums, and seeing them live in 2005 really cemented my fandom... I only wish I'd picked up the albums back in 95 onwards.. and gone to see them live earlier rather than picking up a few tracks!
09/14 - HOV - London (OMFG) 09/14 - London 05/15 - Sunderland
06/15 - Edinburgh 06/15 - Glastonbury 09/15 - Milton Keynes
09/15 - Edinburgh 11/15 - Amsterdam 11/15 - Cologne
06/17 - Glastonbury 07/17 - Paris 09/17 - London
06/18 - Antwerp 06/18 - London 06/18 - London
08/19 - Glasgow 08/19 - Reading
Old June 22nd 2015, 04:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Two songs got me hooked : "Monkey Wrench" and "Hey, Johnny Park!"
Old October 16th 2015, 10:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Ok so what foo track got you hooked???

I remember when the video for Monkey Wrench would come on MTV before going to school in the morning, back in the day. I still feel excited when I see it on TV (from the Greatest Hits DVD).
January 26, 2008: Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN
Old October 29th 2015, 06:47 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

My first FF song was Learn to fly. And it is still one of my favourites.

11/11/15 Wien
Old November 9th 2015, 09:16 PM
Visiting is pretty...

it was dave who got me hooked

realy, cant remember.....
Old December 7th 2016, 05:43 PM
Ubiquitous member

When This Is A Call came out, I didn't really like it much. I think it's because of the way the album is mixed, and the lack of deep bass. But when I'll Stick Around came out, I was hooked. I collected all the singles over the years, but didn't start appreciating their full albums until much later. I think it was after the 2010 hiatus, when I began to anticipate the next tour, hoping I'd get to see them live. I started looking at this board and ran across a post where everyone rated their favorite songs from A to Z. It was then that I started to buy the albums and listen to all the songs I'd missed out on.

I was all in after that.
Old June 15th 2017, 07:32 PM
Visiting is pretty...

While "I'll Stick Around" was my favorite song off the debut album, and "Big Me" was on constant MTV rotation, I didn't get hooked until The Color and the Shape (Monkey Wrench). That was the first album I bought, and the first tour I caught live, etc. Pretender is probably my current favorite...and I love the songs with the meandering endings (Long Way Home, et al).
Old June 15th 2017, 08:08 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Breakout for me. Kinda heard them "in the background" for a couple of years but when I first heard Breakout I was hooked. Big time!!!
Old June 15th 2017, 11:33 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebeau31 View Post
While "I'll Stick Around" was my favorite song off the debut album, and "Big Me" was on constant MTV rotation, I didn't get hooked until The Color and the Shape (Monkey Wrench). That was the first album I bought, and the first tour I caught live, etc. Pretender is probably my current favorite...and I love the songs with the meandering endings (Long Way Home, et al).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe_G View Post
Breakout for me. Kinda heard them "in the background" for a couple of years but when I first heard Breakout I was hooked. Big time!!!
I heard MonkeyWrench and it was instant love but I know the songs that were in rotation off of the ST album.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old June 16th 2017, 12:16 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

First or second issue of Blender magazine in Jan/Feb 1995
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_%28magazine%29

Scooped everyone because it came with a CD-Rom with four song snippets somehow licensed with an interview and a whole "multimedia" presentation - where you loaded it up and got a deck like (no shit) a Neve to use to increase volume and move between "songs" with the interview "notes" brought up for each one. It was utterly mind blowing for the time - there was no internet, and a CD (play only) drive for the computer alone was about $400.

The song (long middle section but wasn't full) that nailed me was from I'll Stick Around. This floaty smooth cruisey almost ballady song with cutting drums and bass that was then suddenly screaming "I don't owe you anything! I don't owe you anything!" Then just as quickly back to smooth dreamy floating and return to the screaming "I don't know you anything".

I remember thinking OMG this is utterly insane... and just as I'm already so utterly on board and have a mental "foothold" on the verse to chorus with Dave wringing out the second longer string of "I don't know you anything's", with me sure that's how it will end, it changes up and Dave screams "I'll Stick Around, I'll Stick Around, learn from all that came from it...

And it immediately ended (cut short)

I was literally screaming you can't fucking stop it there!

I still remember it like it was yesterday - it was my Foo Nevermind moment - only 10x moreso because it wasn't Kurt but it just "felt" like he was back in my bedroom from the dead, only better.