Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 2nd 2017, 11:40 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Audio of Legendary Secret Gig with Kurt and Dave in Edinburgh

Just saw this posted on the Lost Edinburgh Facebook page.

They played the Southern Bar in 1991.

https://youtu.be/-nj3Roe3gww
Old December 3rd 2017, 01:44 PM
The finder of things...

Default Re: Audio of Legendary Secret Gig with Kurt and Dave in Edinburgh

I only heard a tiny part of it before it was taken down
Old December 3rd 2017, 02:06 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Here another link still working.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjiT7lqsAw
Old December 3rd 2017, 02:22 PM
The finder of things...

Thanks for that. Interesting to listen to the audience comments. Didn't sound like they were all fans.
Old December 4th 2017, 09:57 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLibrarian View Post
Thanks for that. Interesting to listen to the audience comments. Didn't sound like they were all fans.
The place they played is a pub and I think they just turned up after playing a proper gig at another local venue. Remember at that time I don't think they were that well known and Nirvana hadn't broken though yet.

It would be like having a couple of pints in a bar and then seeing an unknown band play and a week or two later they are the biggest band on the planet!
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old December 12th 2017, 08:27 PM
The Sidekick

If you enjoyed this recording and are feeling generous then you may consider a donation to support the very same charity that the guys were supporting on that night, Edinburgh Children's Hospital.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/douglas-baptie1

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 13th 2017, 10:51 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you enjoyed this recording and are feeling generous then you may consider a donation to support the very same charity that the guys were supporting on that night, Edinburgh Children's Hospital.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/douglas-baptie1
Note the crumpled ticket on the donation page - The Joyriders "Plus Very Special Guests"

https://i.imgur.com/ujH40gZ.jpg

30 people

Putting this in perspective for those born after 1975: "By Christmas 1991, Nevermind was selling 400,000 copies a week in the US alone"

Last edited by FooZealand : December 13th 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 13th 2017, 11:10 PM
The Sidekick

Yeah, here is a bit more background

Quote:
Krist was sick with the flu and stayed at the hotel with his wife, Shelli. The gig was never announced officially but fliers were handed out at the Calton gig two days before on November 29, 1991. "Teen Spirit" and "Very special American guests" were the name Nirvana was going by on the fliers. Of course, everyone figured out it was Nirvana that was playing at the Southern two days later so about 2000 people showed up early in the evening.

Story goes that Kurt and Dave passed by the bar on a cab, thought there were way too many people and decided to go eat something and come back much later. The plan worked and word got out Nirvana wasn't even gonna show up so almost everyone left. Joyriders, the band who organized this gig for charity, was just putting away their drum kit when Kurt and Dave showed up. They rushed to set it back up but Dave said that it was okay and were not gonna need the drumkit anyway as he was gonna play bass instead. Kurt asked to pass the bucket for donations around and that everyone should donate before they started playing.

Both Kurt and Dave were shattered and exhausted from the intense tour schedule. According to Shonen Knife who was present they played one of their songs, "Twist Barbie". Unfortunately this wasn't caught on this recording as the taper taped the whole long Joyriders set and was running out of tape (that's why Jesus is cut). Only 20 to 30 people were in attendance when Nirvana showed up.
Quote:
Yep, that happened. I actually spoke to someone who brought a video camera but then left about 30 mins before Kurt and Dave showed up. Word got out Nirvana wasn't really playing after all, it was late and cold, so many people went home thinking it was just a prank. Sucks, huh?

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 13th 2017, 11:48 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Yeah, here is a bit more background
It's very sad that people were there, got in and then nobody could be sure it was not a joke so they left. Although then again conversely in retrospect now we as FF fans would know to just fucking stay because Dave could be up to anything lol

But back then there was real precedent for them to be careful:

"As it toured Europe during late 1991, the band found that its shows were dangerously oversold, that television crews were becoming a constant presence onstage, and that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was almost omnipresent on radio and music television"

You really can't under emphasise the word dangerously there - some of those EU shows were utterly insanely wild both on and off the stage. So it's highly understandable they worried a few thousand people could blow up into an utterly uncontrollable mess (baring in mind this was not a sanctioned and secured gig).

It is hella cool to have a part of it saved though. The whole thing reminds me of the Sex Pistols last UK gig at the Ivanhoe’s club in Huddersfield Christmas day 1977. They sold tickets that gave you a phone number to ring before the gig to get the location - and it was a Christmas benefit for striking firefighters with donations at the door. A matinee in the day for the kids and then a night gig for 18+.

Of course they has even more to worry about than the crowds - they were literally on the MI5 watch list
Old December 14th 2017, 02:25 AM
The Sidekick

Yeah very different times of course. Today everything happening would be on social media, Dave and Kurt would've been spotted on their drive by, someone would post photos of their gear hidden round the back, Chinese whispers would be on the go. There would've been lots of false rumours though of course, "Krist isn't really sick!", "I saw him eating a sausage roll in Greggs!" and "My mates nan said they're all playing, 3 hour set at midnight!".

It's a double edged sword this social media malarkey!

--
Old December 14th 2017, 08:16 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Yeah very different times of course. Today everything happening would be on social media, Dave and Kurt would've been spotted on their drive by, someone would post photos of their gear hidden round the back, Chinese whispers would be on the go. There would've been lots of false rumours though of course, "Krist isn't really sick!", "I saw him eating a sausage roll in Greggs!" and "My mates nan said they're all playing, 3 hour set at midnight!".

God that made me laugh - so true. We are spoilt by technology and then being human promptly often then just use it to spoil the greatness of it all.

It really does make me wonder just how insane some of the stuff Dave dreams up might have been experienced in the pre-spoiler world. Especially when you factor in just how incredibly effective they've been the last 5 years (2 cycles say) IN this "environment" at keeping stuff stum.

I still want a sudden garage gig - I think no matter what they do that is just too hard to beat
Old December 14th 2017, 09:08 AM
Normal

Quote:

That is actually a very good point lol
Old December 16th 2017, 09:05 PM
The finder of things...

Quote:

Sidney Crosby, a very famous hockey player (at least in some places) is local to me and he was home visiting family when he got together with some friends to play a game of hockey at a local arena. It was a blizzard out and not many people around but someone took a picture, tweeted it and hundreds began to arrive almost immediately. You are so right.