Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 24th 2007, 04:38 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: If you must, ESPG criticisms can go here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebago85 View Post
but for me, PERSONALLY, it doesn't really give me the same excitement as "There is Nothing Left to Lose" for instance, so.. yeah, in closing, I appreciate the album for what it is, but I'll just leave it at that, and keep enjoying the older albums, and look to the future.
Interesting. I found NLTL one of their less appealing albums, still fun all the same. If we are the view each album as a progression then this new release feels like a step in the right direction from IYH, as it feels like it is merging the two distinctive styles quite neatly, accousticy-mellow-melodic and rocky in equal measures but blended...

At the least it is a good experiment

After a couple of listens though Pretender feels the most appealing of all the tracks. Just because my preference for FF material is dirty guitar rock.

As for the future - I certainly eagerly await every new FF release.
Old September 24th 2007, 05:58 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

Edit: Wrong thread.

Last edited by El Scorcho : September 24th 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 24th 2007, 06:28 PM

After a third listen, it's kind of like if you took all their really boring, dodgy and songs that never should have made it into the studio- not those, but the b-sides that got rejected in favour of those, then watered them all down a bit, then made them all twice as long with twice as many instruments, then charged me ten quid for it.
Old September 24th 2007, 07:52 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja View Post
After a third listen, it's kind of like if you took all their really boring, dodgy and songs that never should have made it into the studio- not those, but the b-sides that got rejected in favour of those, then watered them all down a bit, then made them all twice as long with twice as many instruments, then charged me ten quid for it.
That's how I feel. ESPG is so bland.
Old September 25th 2007, 02:30 AM

Before I buy it, does it fuck up your iTunes like In Your Honor?

Thom Yorke
Old September 25th 2007, 03:11 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Before I buy it, does it fuck up your iTunes like In Your Honor?
Save your money dude, the album is sh*t in my opinion. I have purchased this album and I never plan on listening to it ever again.
I first became a Foo fan back in 97' and have followed them ever since, I just loved there style of hard hitting rock and different sounding music.
I will always be a foo fan and definately go watch them again at a concert, but this new album does nothing for me.
Seems rushed, lyrically and musically. There is no special sound to make it standout like Everlong, My Hero or learn to Fly... just seems to be put together in someones garage for the sake of making an album because it's "time to make another album" they should've just waited, even another 3 or 4 years and release something really special- not just a bunch of depressing songs.
Old September 25th 2007, 03:45 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Yeah I guess you're right... just there's going to be a lot of disappointed fans out there when they listen to this album, it's just not foo damn it!!
I hope they have a break after this tour for a couple of years and comeback with some new hard hitting rock I say!
Old September 25th 2007, 06:16 AM

I've never done this before....here it goes:

Is it me or does this sound like a Dave Grohl solo project?

My first impression was...isn't there only like 4 or 5 songs that the band grooves on? Where are the hammer drums? Why are there like 4 songs that are acoustic openings and eventually morph into drudging rockers? Why is the same lyric repeated OVER AND OVER in every song to the point where you're thinking "Overdrive" wasn't repetitive. Can I hear a straight-forward downbeat crash every once in a while or does everything have to be progressive snare roll/tom fill.

Very wordy, tons of solos, (and by 'solos' I don't mean lead guitar, I mean just Dave, his instrument of choice, & a microphone), and not one but TWO piano ballads and an acoustic instrumental duet with someone NOT IN THE BAND. It's like Dave got a new piano, and learned how to do amplified pull-offs (ala Razor) and decided they would be all over the next album come Hell or high water.

And does every bridge vocal have to include 3 part harmonies that will probably not sound good live??

I understand what they're getting at with this album, (new directions, new horizons, musical freedom etc...) but can a brotha get a power chord???

The Pretender is SO MUCH different than anything else on the record (but sadly similar in structure and approach as "All My Life", with an opening MUCH too similar to Stairway..) that it's almost like that was conceived seperately from the rest of the record because there wasn't a strong pre-release radio single.

I'm not looking for twelve Monkeywrenches, but for Chrissakes ease up on the indulgences. Save the instrumentals for b-sides, save the piano ballads for the soundtracks, and get back to rocking.

Sorry, that's just my $9.99cents worth...
4/3/00 Albany, NY
11/10/00 Syracuse, NY
8/23/06 Toronto, ON
10/8/07 Wilkes-Barre, PA
10/9/07 Glens Falls, NY
2/22/08 Binghamton, NY
Old September 25th 2007, 07:33 AM
I'll never say goodbye

Ok, seeing as there's two threads, I've split my review from THIS POST into the good parts and the bad parts:

3. Erase/Replace: Boring, repetitive. That ending is very, very annoying.

5. Come Alive: So so wussy. Bugs me in the same way that February Stars does - it sounds like it's missing something, like it's building up to a MASSIVE crescendo that never ever comes. Also repetitive. Feels a very safe song, they could've done so much more with this and made it edgier.

9. Ballad Of The Beaconsfield Miners: Garbage. Sorry. Lovely sentiment but such a wet, pointless song but I bet everyone fawns over it because it's "pretty". Same rubbish formula as Razor and Skin And Bones, same bland result. Yawn, next please.

10. Statues: URGH! The intro is horrid, the vocals sound very very strained at times - Dave seems to be forcing himself to sing in a way that he's not accustomed too and it doesn't sound comfortable at all. Sounds kinda Beatles/John Lennon-ish. The "we're just ordinary people" line makes me think of John bloody Legend and then I want to be sick.

11. But, Honestly: This started and for all I knew I could've been listening to a Seafood song. I sort of like the song but it's too thin sounding, if they do this live I would hope that it gets fattened up considerably. It only starts to get interesting when the second guitar (Chris' I imagine) comes in and then it starts sounding more like a Foo Fighters song. Then it kicks in and BAM, that's a Foo song for you... the lead part sounds kinda like a Jackson United song... erm... lemme think... BLINDERS! That's it.

12. Home: Wonderful lyrical content but done in such a drab and bland way. Foo Fighters shouldn't do soppy piano ballads. This is pretty much just Burn Away with a piano. Too long, drawn-out and Dave's struggling to hit those notes again. Thoroughly uninspiring.

13. Once & For All: Start reminded me of a Gin Blossoms song again!! Quite... generic. Should've been replaced by Bangin'.

Overall, I dunno. Probably better than both In Your Honor and One By One but that wouldn't exactly be different. It just doesn't sound like a real Foo Fighters album, it's way too laid back.

Maybe a 5.5 out of 10?

After another listen this morning, Come Alive and Stranger Things Have Happened now sound a little better.

Last edited by Captain Stu : September 25th 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old September 25th 2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
11. But, Honestly: This started and for all I knew I could've been listening to a Seafood song. I sort of like the song but it's too thin sounding, if they do this live I would hope that it gets fattened up considerably. It only starts to get interesting when the second guitar (Chris' I imagine) comes in and then it starts sounding more like a Foo Fighters song. Then it kicks in and BAM, that's a Foo song for you... the lead part sounds kinda like a Jackson United song... erm... lemme think... BLINDERS! That's it
Haha, its soooo true.

25.11.1999 Brixton Academy
25.08.2000 Reading Festival
19.11.2002 NEC Birmingham
28.08.2005 Leeds Festival
11.12.2005 NEC Birmingham
16.06.2006 Underworld
05.07.2007 Dingwalls
03.11.2007 Manchester MEN
12.11.2007 Sheffield Arena
Old September 25th 2007, 07:41 AM
I'll never say goodbye

For the record, me saying something is like a Jackson United song is NOT a criticism of JU, I fucking LOVE them it's just their summery boppy pop rock sound is more suited to them and not the Foos.

Once again, Stu loves JU.
Old September 25th 2007, 08:01 AM
your mum

i pretty much agree with stu in both of these stickies.

and i can't stress enough how bad Erase/Replace is...
Old September 25th 2007, 08:01 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stu View Post
11. But, Honestly: This started and for all I knew I could've been listening to a Seafood song. I sort of like the song but it's too thin sounding, if they do this live I would hope that it gets fattened up considerably.
Watch it live right here.

And, yeah, I noticed Chris slipping Blinders in there.
Old September 25th 2007, 08:37 AM
I'll never say goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookie View Post
i pretty much agree with stu in both of these stickies.

and i can't stress enough how bad Erase/Replace is...
I like it when people agree with me.
Old September 25th 2007, 08:47 AM
I'll Stick Around

I don't get why people hate Erase/Replace SO much. Yeah, it's a bit drawn out at times, but it's not 'the worst song recorded by the Foo' as people are claiming it to be.
Old September 25th 2007, 01:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Erase/Replace is not so bad I think, but the foos could have found a better chorus...The two songs I really don't appreciate are the Ballad of the B.M and But Honestly; the first one is pleasant to hear but quite repetitive and not necessary, and the second one could have been a good rocky track if the guys had dropped that crescendo idea already at the heart of Let it die and Come Alive.
Old September 25th 2007, 02:01 PM

I haven't even felt a need to listen to it today yet... I've wanted to but haven't neeeded to if you get what I mean (like I had with past releases)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 25th 2007, 02:24 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
I haven't even felt a need to listen to it today yet... I've wanted to but haven't neeeded to if you get what I mean (like I had with past releases)
hey man, i bought it today- much better than anticipated. I find it inventive and interesting better than they've done sinse nothing left to lose, bar one or two tracks sinse. Once you get past the initatial lack of headbanging- its still an excellent album- but i've only half way through- i'll see what the second half is like...hope it doesn't fall flat and keeps up the momentum.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
Edinburgh-Meadowbank 2007/
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 25th 2007, 03:10 PM

Why criticize it????
Yeah, it has some weaker songs but all in all it's good. There are no Albums where all tracks are off the same quality. There will always be good and bad songs. But ESPG has some great songs on it which will find their way to the live-set.

A friend calls you in jail. A good friend visits you in jail,
and a best friend is sitting next to you in your cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME"
Old September 25th 2007, 03:11 PM

wow- what a downer, the second half of the album after CHeer up boys, dissapoints. Home is one of the most depressing songs i've ever heard. Statues, Dave needs to stay the fuck away from piano songs form now on...its ok being different but they toally abandoned themselves. first half of the album, i'm like this is really fuckin cool...then it just goes into depressing mellow mode.Almost a work of genius, then it falls flat.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
Edinburgh-Meadowbank 2007/
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012

Last edited by everlong_farp_rock : September 25th 2007 at 04:06 PM.