Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 28th 2015, 10:55 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Not sure whether to put this review here or in the Tour setlists discussion thread.


Went to see Foo Fighters.

Had no idea Grohl had broken his leg, and was going to be in a chair. When it had started, I was wondering what he was doing, and was thinking it was part of the act. He then explained a few songs into it how he'd broken his leg. He said "and we sold after that was announced".

A few songs into it, he said "How many of you are going to sing and lose your voice? It sure isn't going to be me for the next 2.5 hours, I do this for a living."
Grohl seemed to be doing even more growls than I remembered from 2011.

Everything was good, sound was good. I recorded a few songs for the first time ever using a digital recorder. I think the recordings sounded like what I felt like they were when I was listening. For example, for "Times Like These", listen to the drumming from 2:20 - 2:30. I think it recorded that pretty well.


Highlights were "The Pretender", "Something From Nothing", "Walk", "White Limo", "Breakout", "This Is A Call", "In The Flesh?".

After "In The Flesh?", Grohl said that it was the best song ever, so he doesn't know what they could play next.

Before "Breakout", he said that song reminded him of his 9th grade dance.

He also said that he was in the "Battle Of The Bands" during 9th grade, and they would have won had they played "Under Pressure" (before going into that song).

During the medley, every member of the band got to solo. So it was one song in the medley per band member.



The only gentle suggestion for the setlist I'd have is maybe some more deeper tracks, like "Come Back", or "M.I.A.", or "Friend Of A Friend", or "But, Honestly", or "My Poor Brain" or "Tired Of You". Also, my two favorite songs off of Sonic Highways were "Subterranean" and "I Am A River". So maybe next time I'll hear those.



But they played for so long, and the sound was good, and each band member played well. So when they do all that, it's a great show. Can't be disappointed when it's a 2 hr, 20 min show with good sound.




Audio Recordings:


https://youtu.be/0Blxzc9n5cA
https://youtu.be/SVpUzaCJ3D0
https://youtu.be/pIiUKDIG3fQ
https://youtu.be/T682QTnbdtA
https://youtu.be/0W8_GYeKabE



Pics:


http://imgur.com/a/Dklbm#J6WB4tL


Setlist:

  1. All My Life
  2. Times Like These
  3. Learn to Fly
  4. Something From Nothing
  5. The Pretender
  6. Big Me (slow version)
  7. Congregation
  8. Walk
  9. Eruption / You Really Got Me / Cinnamon Girl / Another One Bites the Dust / God Save the Queen (Van Halen / The Kinks / Neil Young & Crazy Horse / Queen / Sex Pistols snippets during band intro)
  10. Cold Day in the Sun
  11. My Hero
  12. White Limo
  13. Arlandria
  14. Outside
  15. Breakout
  16. Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie cover)
  17. Footloose (Kenny Loggins cover) (Snippet)
  18. These Days
  19. This Is a Call
  20. In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover)
  21. Best of You
  22. Monkey Wrench
  23. Everlong
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 28th 2015, 11:22 AM
bavarianfoo's Avatar
bavarianfoo bavarianfoo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 535
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
The only gentle suggestion for the setlist I'd have is maybe some more deeper tracks, like "Come Back", or "M.I.A.", or "Friend Of A Friend", or "But, Honestly", or "My Poor Brain" or "Tired Of You". Also, my two favorite songs off of Sonic Highways were "Subterranean" and "I Am A River". So maybe next time I'll hear those.
This will not happen
__________________

11/11/15 Wien
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 28th 2015, 04:25 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,077
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Nice review! Any chance we can get the complete FLAC of the audio recording?
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 30th 2015, 02:43 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nice review! Any chance we can get the complete FLAC of the audio recording?
I have the WAVs that I can convert to FLAC.

I'll have to adjust the volume a bit again. I see now that my lowering of the original WAVs by -24 DB was too much. They sounded louder in my headphones. But when I check with my desktop speakers, I made them too quiet.

I do need to lower the volume of the original WAVs, but I won't lower it by as much.

Anyways, after I convert the originals to FLAC again, how should I share them with others? Filemail.com? (I've used it before).

I'll also re-upload them to YouTube (so others can listen in that manner if they choose).

I don't have the original concert btw, only did a few songs.

"One By One"
"Times Like These"
"The Pretender"
"Walk"
"My Hero"


Hope that's ok with you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 30th 2015, 02:45 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianfoo View Post
This will not happen
This is only 2nd time seeing them, so I'm just asking.

Do they not do deeper tracks at all? Or maybe only 1 or so?

Whenever I see a band multiple times, hearing a few different deeper tracks makes each setlist more special to that specific time, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 30th 2015, 02:47 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Question: Did they really play "Arlandria"?

I remember hearing the riff after they finished "White Limo".

I just don't remember for sure if they fully played Arlandria, or only added the riff at the end of White Limo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 30th 2015, 11:31 AM
bavarianfoo's Avatar
bavarianfoo bavarianfoo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 535
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Just have a look at their last few setlists.

It's more or less every time the same. Sometimes they swap some Songs spontaneous.
They played Wind Up from TCATS a few Shows ago. Arlandria and White Limo are played more often.

This is a normal setlist:


1. Everlong
2. Monkey Wrench
3. Learn to Fly
4. Something From Nothing
5. The Pretender
6. Big Me (slow version)
7. Congregation
8. Walk
9. Eruption / You Really Got Me / Tom Sawyer / Roundabout / One Vision (Van Halen / The Kinks / Rush / more )
10. Cold Day in the Sun
11. My Hero
12. Breakout
13. Arlandria (Dave invited fan, Happy Feet Steve, onstage to dance during the bridge)
14. Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie cover)
15. All My Life
16. Times Like These
17. These Days
18. Skin and Bones
19. This Is a Call
20. In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover)
21. I'll Stick Around
22. Best of You

rare Songs are: I'll stick around and Skin and bones.
__________________

11/11/15 Wien
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 3rd 2015, 07:00 PM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nice review! Any chance we can get the complete FLAC of the audio recording?
Ok, I am using File Dropper. If you have any better suggestions, then feel free to suggest it. FileMail required a recipient's email address.

This time, I converted the WAVs to FLAC, and didn't adjust the volume of anything except for normalizing the first 0:32 seconds of "One By One".

One By One:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

Times Like These:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

The Pretender:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

Walk:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

My Hero:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 3rd 2015, 07:02 PM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianfoo View Post
Just have a look at their last few setlists.

It's more or less every time the same. Sometimes they swap some Songs spontaneous.
They played Wind Up from TCATS a few Shows ago. Arlandria and White Limo are played more often.

This is a normal setlist:


1. Everlong
2. Monkey Wrench
3. Learn to Fly
4. Something From Nothing
5. The Pretender
6. Big Me (slow version)
7. Congregation
8. Walk
9. Eruption / You Really Got Me / Tom Sawyer / Roundabout / One Vision (Van Halen / The Kinks / Rush / more )
10. Cold Day in the Sun
11. My Hero
12. Breakout
13. Arlandria (Dave invited fan, Happy Feet Steve, onstage to dance during the bridge)
14. Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie cover)
15. All My Life
16. Times Like These
17. These Days
18. Skin and Bones
19. This Is a Call
20. In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover)
21. I'll Stick Around
22. Best of You

rare Songs are: I'll stick around and Skin and bones.
Thanks.

I was referring more to setlists between different tours.

2-3 rare songs, as above, is a good amount. "I'll Stick Around" is something I hope to hear live someday.

So what I mean is on their next tour, if they play 2-3 different rare songs, then each tour becomes more memorable for those rare songs specifically, each time I see them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 3rd 2015, 07:03 PM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

What rare songs were in my setlist?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 3rd 2015, 07:44 PM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Here are the songs on YouTube again. I re-uploaded them with the volume unchanged this time.

https://youtu.be/0AHcdC8XxcQ

https://youtu.be/hItRnnnw8DQ

https://youtu.be/rRbmwk09E4w

https://youtu.be/9q3vqlDzosk

https://youtu.be/m79noCwVa5E
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 3rd 2015, 09:18 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,077
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Ok, I am using File Dropper. If you have any better suggestions, then feel free to suggest it. FileMail required a recipient's email address.

This time, I converted the WAVs to FLAC, and didn't adjust the volume of anything except for normalizing the first 0:32 seconds of "One By One".

One By One:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

Times Like These:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

The Pretender:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

Walk:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015

My Hero:

http://www.filedropper.com/foofighte...heater09162015
Got them, thanks.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 20th 2015, 03:00 PM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Got them, thanks.
What did you think?

It was my first time recording, and my first time recording using my Zoom H2N.

I thought the quality turned out good. You can even hear some whispers of people near me a few times, lol.

But you might have live recordings from other people too, over the years, so was wondering how it compared overall to others in your collection.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 20th 2015, 03:45 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,077
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Yeah it's pretty good for a first effort, I know my first was definitely worse than that. On the scale of other recordings it's obviously not as good as the guys using super expensive external mics but it definitely compares favourably with other similar built-in mic recordings. I've definitely heard worse. No bass distortion which is good, vocals are pretty clear, it just doesn't have that thicker, fuller sound you'd get with the more expensive gear. However also bear in mind your position in the venue, the venue acoustics and the job the sound engineer does has a huge impact on recording.

In short it's a very nice first effort and I hope you're encouraged to keep taping shows, you'll only get better as you go on and hopefully come out with some nice keepsakes of shows you went to.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 22nd 2015, 05:10 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah it's pretty good for a first effort, I know my first was definitely worse than that. On the scale of other recordings it's obviously not as good as the guys using super expensive external mics but it definitely compares favourably with other similar built-in mic recordings. I've definitely heard worse. No bass distortion which is good, vocals are pretty clear, it just doesn't have that thicker, fuller sound you'd get with the more expensive gear. However also bear in mind your position in the venue, the venue acoustics and the job the sound engineer does has a huge impact on recording.

In short it's a very nice first effort and I hope you're encouraged to keep taping shows, you'll only get better as you go on and hopefully come out with some nice keepsakes of shows you went to.
Thanks for your analysis. I appreciate it.

Other than the first 32 seconds or so of "One By One", I thought the bass recorded well.

A question:

You mentioned external mics being better than built-in mics.

I thought what I was using was an external mic? See the image below of what I was using. Or maybe I'm not understanding what an external mic is, compared to a built-in mic.

If so, does that mean the recordings don't compare as well to other external mics?

Also, how was the volume? I used Audacity to monitor and convert the WAVs to FLACs. When I was listening in Audacity via my headphones, the volume seemed louder than when I used any other media player afterward.

That's why a few weeks ago I initially lowered the volume on everything when I was converting them to FLACs. Then after listening via other media players, it was too low, so I left them unchanged and converted the originals to FLACs again.

At some point I'm going to delete the WAVs off my memory card, now that I have the FLACs, but there's no rush, will do it when I want to clear up space.

I did think the recordings sounded like what I heard at my position in the venue, so I wasn't hearing the fullest guitars, if that's what you felt the sound was a little light on.

I would have liked to try this at a Chris Cornell concert the following week, because the acoustics were great. But about 20 seconds into recording a song, the ushers told me to turn it off, so I guess recordings weren't allowed at that venue.

http://i.imgur.com/Bac7tOx.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 22nd 2015, 11:09 AM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,077
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Built-in mics mean the microphones in the recording device. External mics are those plugged into the device and placed somewhere else, usually on your shoulder area. These can range in price from less than a $100 to $3000 or more for the really top end stuff so yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect it to compete with some of those but as I say, it certainly compares favourably to other recordings made with similar devices to yours, and better than some done with cheaper external mics. It's a solid 8/10 to my ears. Maybe even an 8.5.

Volume wise they are clipping a little bit, you say this is the original volume? If so that means you may need to reduce the recording volume on your device ever so slightly next time. Use the display on the device and make sure the bars aren't reaching -0, ideally have it so it's around -12 to -6 range. You can then normalise the volume afterwards.

As for taping at venues you'll generally find that unless the artist is explicitly open to taping, venues won't allow it so you have to get a little stealthy. Foo Fighters are one of many bands that aren't explicitly open taping, but as long as you don't sell your recordings for profit, they don't mind them. But since it's not an official policy yeah, you do have to stealth it. With external mics it's a little easier because you can keep the recorder itself in a pocket but with the internal mics you just have to try to stand somewhere out of the sight of staff and/or keep it hidden the best you can.

Hope that helps!
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 23rd 2015, 03:53 AM
nuraman00 nuraman00 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Built-in mics mean the microphones in the recording device. External mics are those plugged into the device and placed somewhere else, usually on your shoulder area. These can range in price from less than a $100 to $3000 or more for the really top end stuff so yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect it to compete with some of those but as I say, it certainly compares favourably to other recordings made with similar devices to yours, and better than some done with cheaper external mics. It's a solid 8/10 to my ears. Maybe even an 8.5.

Volume wise they are clipping a little bit, you say this is the original volume? If so that means you may need to reduce the recording volume on your device ever so slightly next time. Use the display on the device and make sure the bars aren't reaching -0, ideally have it so it's around -12 to -6 range. You can then normalise the volume afterwards.

As for taping at venues you'll generally find that unless the artist is explicitly open to taping, venues won't allow it so you have to get a little stealthy. Foo Fighters are one of many bands that aren't explicitly open taping, but as long as you don't sell your recordings for profit, they don't mind them. But since it's not an official policy yeah, you do have to stealth it. With external mics it's a little easier because you can keep the recorder itself in a pocket but with the internal mics you just have to try to stand somewhere out of the sight of staff and/or keep it hidden the best you can.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. I see what you mean now about external mics.

Yeah, the bars were reaching -0 when I was recording. I noticed it when I was recording, but I didn't know what the effect would be, so I didn't change anything. Since this was my first time live recording.

Later, when I listened via Audacity (also with my headphones), I intuitively felt that the -18 to -6 range would be a more suitable volume, so that's why I initially tried lowering the volume of everything. I then uploaded those to YouTube, in my post on September 28th 2015 03:55 AM .

But then afterward, it felt like on every media player other than Audacity had the volume too low.


So that's why I then re-uploaded everything and re-created the FLACs on October 3rd, but with the original volume.

I still didn't think I had the right volume when recording, but felt that I was messing things up more than I was helping, during post-processing, so I felt that for this time, to leave it alone. But next time, I felt that I should record at a slightly lower volume.

And your response gave the same feedback, so thanks.

Thanks for the tips on venues and their recording policies, too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 23rd 2015, 01:52 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,077
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Yeah basically when recording audio, you don't want it to clip over -0db or else you'll get distortion. So you capture at a lower overall volume to get a clean, non-clipping waveform and then in Audacity later you can normalize the audio to a higher level, since when playing back audio there is no real reason not to boost the volume to the highest non-clipping level, otherwise you just have to turn up the volume knob further.

So in Audacity that would be Effects > Normalise and -1.0dB is fine.

You can of course reduce the volume of a recording that is clipped but it won't fix anything in terms of the distortion, it'll simply make it quieter. Thankfully your recording only clips in parts and only very slightly, so there isn't really any audible distortion.

Anyway in short, monitor your levels when recording to make sure they're in a moderate range and then normalize later.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 23rd 2015, 06:10 PM
Jill's Avatar
Jill Jill is offline
The Boss
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: California
Posts: 21,619
Default Re: @ Shoreline Amphitheater 09162015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Question: Did they really play "Arlandria"?

I remember hearing the riff after they finished "White Limo".

I just don't remember for sure if they fully played Arlandria, or only added the riff at the end of White Limo.
They did!
__________________
My email: click me

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.