Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 5th 2007, 09:29 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
As in the bollywood sitar sound? Like trippin' out 60's style? It really irritates me.
Yep, I guess it sounds a bit like your description. AND it also reminds me of some Springsteen song - I canīt remember which - and not in a good way.

Iīve still really tried to listen to the album and I want to like it but I just think itīs a really poor effort from the band. I just came home from a party where the DJ put TINTL on as I was leaving and it reminded me what and unusually good band FF is. But NOT on the new album.

Also, I put the IYH-rock disc on the other day, as I remember being a bit disappointed with it also when it came out. After listening to ESPG the songs sounded pretty damn good.
Old December 10th 2007, 11:21 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I was hoping more similarities of the first part of In Your Honor at least. They are definitely heading in the direction of the second part of In Your Honor which is mellow. Departing even furthur from their earlier stuff. I don't see the similarities between this cd and TINLTL as I was a big fan of TINLTL. Anyways maybe it will grow on me like the first part of In Your Honor did. UPDATE: Starting to like it more. lol

Last edited by Everlong owns all : December 11th 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old December 11th 2007, 04:55 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Disagree. IYH rock has some great shit, but the best were TCATS and TINLTL.

The best is the self titled debut and the band has been living in it's shadow since. Even The Colour and the Shape is a tad bland. The singles are nice and all, but it was totally something else than the band had ever intended. "Everlong" is the money shot, in addition to maybe "Monkey Wrench", but the rest is either staple rock or filler in comparison to the bold and brass and rawness of the self titled. Perhaps Dave should have pulled a Trent Reznor and recorded it all himself and had a touring band.

The rest of the albums since have been inconsistent and aside from singles or other songs that shine, there is a lot of filler between the self titled and where we stand today.

To be honest, the acoustic disc of In Your Honor is the sharpest the band has sounded yet. Though Echoes really surprised me in a way because they seem to gain some consistency that was somewhat present in Colour and lost in albums There Is Nothing Left to Lose and One by One. But here, a lot of the songs are a bit, well, lame (e.g. "Long Road to Ruin" where the solo is the only saving grace and "Erase/Replace").

I'm just overly critical I guess, but I feel like they're making comfortable choices.

Looking back, "In Your Honor" was probably the best record since the self titled, but even the rock side is a bit stale at times.
Old December 11th 2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseattle94 View Post
To be honest, the acoustic disc of In Your Honor is the sharpest the band has sounded yet. .
ok..

Everoneīs entitled to their opinion but I still canīt understand what it is about the acoustic IYH that so many people like?

It sounds as it was composed and recorded in a day, and not in a good way. The songs start at nothing and last for a good 3 minutes without going anywhere. I think the acoustic side has a lot of potential but sounds really, really rushed and I think the songs really werenīt ready for recording at the time.

And musician-wise.. Well, just listen to the horrible drum track on "Virginia Moon" for example.. Sounds like the first lesson of someone trying to learn bossa nova. Terrible.

I donīt really like ESPG but Iīd say the acoustic IYH was even more disappointing in its songwriting, production and overall performance.
Old December 11th 2007, 08:11 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
ok..

Everoneīs entitled to their opinion but I still canīt understand what it is about the acoustic IYH that so many people like?

It sounds as it was composed and recorded in a day, and not in a good way. The songs start at nothing and last for a good 3 minutes without going anywhere. I think the acoustic side has a lot of potential but sounds really, really rushed and I think the songs really werenīt ready for recording at the time.

And musician-wise.. Well, just listen to the horrible drum track on "Virginia Moon" for example.. Sounds like the first lesson of someone trying to learn bossa nova. Terrible.

I donīt really like ESPG but Iīd say the acoustic IYH was even more disappointing in its songwriting, production and overall performance.
It was the band at it's rawest since the self titled. The songs were earnest and full of integrity and didn't try to capture some specific sound like the rest of it all. "Friend of a Friend" and "Razor" and "Another Round" are exceptional songs in their own right and miles ahead of all the staple rock.
Old December 15th 2007, 12:56 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Here is my order from best Foo Fighters to the weakest. (Not counting the Live Performance)
1. The Colours and the Shapes
2. ...Nothing Left to Lose
3. One by One
4. Selt-Titled
5. In Your Honor (1st cd)
6. ESPG
7. In Your Honor (2nd cd)
Old December 16th 2007, 01:40 AM
Visiting is pretty...

The Colours and the Shapes......? No plurals.
Old December 18th 2007, 05:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I think Dave and the Foo's is moving in a kind of direction that I don't like. It's like they've realized that they're about to pass the age of 40, and they make some songs sound like that, but then they're all "Oh, shit! We're supposed to make old-school rock!" and they make some songs trying to sound like old Foo. I miss the humor the used to have.

It isn't really any songs that i HATE, but Statues frightened me a bit. It's waaay too grown-up, and has too much piano. "Time will turn us into statues eventually" suites the song perfect. I really hope they don't make any songs like that again.

It's not a bad album. Not at all, but it's kind of weak compared to the earlier Foo Fighters.

What i've noticed is that lots of people seem to think that Home sucks! I seriously can't get why, cause I think it's beautiful. The lyrics are really good, and I get goosebumps every time i hear it. I get that some you think that the melody sounds like it's sat on repeat, but that it's one of their worst songs i don't get. xD
Old December 18th 2007, 06:24 PM

I don't like lond road to ruin. I like the video for it, but I really don't like the song.
Old December 30th 2007, 06:46 AM
Visiting is pretty...

okay... i have not been on this board in FOREVER.... yay... its been so long!!

i know, im such a judas, just leaving for so long.. but i promise, my FF roots have not left me

when i purchased ESPG i had a bad feeling.

I agree that the Foos are heading in another direction, musically. i mean, i absolutely hate it when bands just keep on creating the same shit over and over, however, i also hate when a band changes too quickly. i cant put my finger on it - but im not very into ESPG

when i first heard Pretender i fell in love immediately. i thought "oh yea, this is gonna be a great album".. i can safely say that The Pretender is DEFINATELY the All My Life of ESPG.. the pretender is classic FF, yet still fresh... thats what i like about it.

my favourite accoustic song, by far, is Stranger Things Have Happened I Know. it has become one of my ultimate fave FF songs. its excellent. the geetar solo is genius. i find myself forgetting to breathe when i do listen to it.

i just have so many mixed emotions about this album.

i think i have just come to some sort of spiritual awakening... everything before IYH was perfect... stunning, musically. but from IYH, the rock part of things has faded. its not as good as it use to be. I think its sounding all the same - its same sounding mediocre ( and some of it really awful ) music.

but that doesnt mean that when i turn 18 im not getting two F's inked onto the other end of my neck..
Old January 8th 2008, 09:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

so here is the question for all of you criticizing ESPG...
you are on this post board which = you are a big fan of FF, right?
so do you really think that the boys are going to put out something that they think is shit?
musicians grow and change, that's part of being an artist.
Old January 18th 2008, 02:17 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillicutty View Post
so do you really think that the boys are going to put out something that they think is shit?
I'm not challenging you as such, but have you not heard what Dave thought/thinks of One By One only a couple of years after it was released?
Old January 18th 2008, 08:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraternity_Foo View Post
I'm not challenging you as such, but have you not heard what Dave thought/thinks of One By One only a couple of years after it was released?
I've actually never heard what Dave's thoughts of 1x1 were...well his thoughts, several years after its release.
Old January 19th 2008, 03:58 AM
Visiting is pretty...

i have not heard, but would love to.
and we all look back and can see the stupid shit we've done, right? but at the time it seems good...
and right now, the album seems good to them?
Old January 19th 2008, 03:58 AM
Visiting is pretty...

dear magillicutty,

you have it right - i am a hugeee FF fan, and have been for a very long time. its not wrong to criticize the music of a band who you love. you never said it was wrong, but ur post gave the impression you think its not right. well, firstly, 99% of musicians probably think that their music is great when they release it... however, when people/fans buy the music, they might not think its too great.

Fraternity Foo makes a great point, asking if u have heard what dave said about One by One a couple yeas later. now, i havent, but i bet i can guess. only because i know dave said that he thinks February Stars (which i happen to LOVE) is crap. i think that this point links to what you (magillcutty) said - musicians grow, and so therefore their direction does too. and i agree. which is probably why dave says these things 2 years after the release of a record. most fans probably dont agree with him, coz they love it. e.g. i love Feb Stars.

my point is, just coz a band changes musically, it doesnt always mean its a great change that everyone is gonna love. dont get me wrong, i hate when bands keep creating the same shit over nd over, however, sometimes its too different for a fan to like.

i havent read this entire thread, and i can only speak for myself; i know, that i havent come onto this postboard and said really rude stuff like "ohhh FF suck now" and "i'm never gonna listen to them again"... my opinion holds - i dont think ESPG is the greatest FF album - however, i still regard myself a big FF fan and im definately not gonna stop listening to their older music (or new music). sorry about the rant, thing is, ive been on a board where people cant stand the band's new music and because of that they think its ok to write messed up stuff about the band on the net. im not like that

theres a diff b/w ignorantly expressing ur music-related opinion and giving an intelligent and well said (as in nicely) music-related opinion .

just coz the boys thought it was a great record when the made/released it, doesnt mean everyones gonna agree. i mean,look at a band like silverchair. they went from grunge to god knows what to call it. i love all their stuff, personally, but the change is too much for some fans. and thats cool. its no biggie to not like something.

rant over. sorry

Beware: Kings of Leon FAN

Last edited by taylor's_wife_rose-E : January 19th 2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old January 19th 2008, 04:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

i hope i wasn't coming off bitchy.... sorry if i did.
i just think it's funny some of the things that people are saying about how they can't stand anything on the album.
i like things that my husband doesn't listen to, and vise versa. i think it's great to have discussions about music, and likes/dislikes because it opens up the mind. and again, apologies to anyone that i may have offended or seemed bitchy to.
Old January 19th 2008, 04:29 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillicutty View Post
i hope i wasn't coming off bitchy.... sorry if i did.
i just think it's funny some of the things that people are saying about how they can't stand anything on the album.
i like things that my husband doesn't listen to, and vise versa. i think it's great to have discussions about music, and likes/dislikes because it opens up the mind. and again, apologies to anyone that i may have offended or seemed bitchy to.

no way, darl! you didnt seem bitchy, at all.

its only on other pages of this thread where you can see that people think its wrong to critisize it.

i personally LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE stranger things have happened and the pretender - definately freakin' awesome songs. i just think that, being 16, and having loved the foos for like 3 years - theres all this music floating around these days and then bam! ur favourite band releases an album which is.... well, which isnt great. and thats depressing. i guess its just actually sad. i was never too keen on the rock side of IYH either. i think thats where they started to go down hill, in terms of the rock stuff.

Beware: Kings of Leon FAN
Old February 7th 2008, 04:23 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor's_wife_rose-E View Post
but from IYH, the rock part of things has faded. its not as good as it use to be. I think its sounding all the same - its same sounding mediocre ( and some of it really awful ) music.
the rock disc was bound to have that though. you can only put so much into some songs. that disc would essentially be a 40 minute rock out session, but after a little while it would start to fade out. they should have just picked the best from each and put it on one album. like i said, when you have 10 rock songs its bound to have filler. i can't imagine listening to a 40 minute rock out session, id stop listening after about 10 minutes.

the reason why i think two of their strongest albums were TCATS and ESPG is because of the flow. it goes from soft to loud, and thats what you gotta have. it works great.
Old February 7th 2008, 07:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

When I heard first heard "The Pretender" I was exited about the new album because it was an amazing song. There are other good songs on there; Erase/Replace, Summers End, Let it Die, etc...

Some of the other songs I have got to like over time; Chere Up Boys, Stranger Things Have Happened...good songs.

The Ballad of the Beconsfield Miners is good and so is Come Alive but the latter reminds me of an Oasis guitar riff.

.....the album becomes to soft. I like it when the Foos rock!

Last edited by JohnGeorge : February 7th 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: clear
Old February 25th 2008, 06:29 PM

For me the more I hear it the more I love it