Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 26th 2007, 06:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

I listened to Home for the first time and damn it sucks compared to the rest of the songs

I can understand why people like it

Its just not my cup of tea :P
Old September 26th 2007, 06:43 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnebago85 View Post
Well thats fine (and this comment might not be directed to you specifically) but some people are just getting too defensive of the album to the point of obsession, they should just get out of the way and accept other people's opinions and thoughts if they don't agree, and not say anything at all.
I have warned all to stay out if they are going to get into it with you and others that aren't being as complimentary as the fanboy/girls are.

I'm on it.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old September 26th 2007, 07:04 PM
Have you found your way around

I have just 2 criticisms:

Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners
Satues

I'm not a big fan of Home, but I can't question why it's on the album at all. The other 2, I wandered if I was listening to different songs to Dave and the gang. How did they make the album??
Wembley Stadium, 6th June 2008
Wembley Stadium, 7th June 2008
Isle of Wight Festival, 11th June 2011
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
Reading Festival, 26th August 2012
Glastonbury Festival, 26th June 2015
Milton Keynes Bowl, 6th September 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd June 2018
London Stadium, 23rd June 2018
Old September 26th 2007, 10:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default cover art

hey guys does anybody know what company did the cover art and graphics for this album and the second album?
Old September 26th 2007, 10:57 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default cover art

anybody knows what graphic design company did the cover art for their second album and this new one.
Old September 26th 2007, 11:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Smile Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Dude, it's subjective. I use the term great when I like something. My belief of what is great isn't going to be yours.

Will it be the album I read for when I feel like Foo? I don't know. That's been TCATS for years. But, it's better than One by One which I never listen to and it might be better than IYH to me.

It's all good.

If I was recommending an album to get someone into Foo it would be TINLTL by the way..
For sure it's subjective to a point, but misappropriate use of the word 'great' is just one of those things that I find annoying. Perhaps it's been exacerbated by browsing fan boy/girl forums like this!

Anyway to make my point; is the album really of outstanding significance or importance? Hard to really say this early on and maybe to some people it is, but I think if you were to be really objective about it, in comparison to some of the other albums it isn't. The majority of reviews tend to support this also. But hey, if it's great by your standards then far be it from myself or anyone else to say otherwise.

Then again I really like One By One. It's like a hybrid of QOTSA riffing meets Husker Du guitars and sentiment. :-)
Old September 26th 2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: cover art

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasol View Post
anybody knows what graphic design company did the cover art for their second album and this new one.
this album was done by Don Clark at "Invisible Creature" INC

Not sure about TCATS.

wicked website: http://www.invisiblecreature.com/main.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 27th 2007, 01:33 AM
I'll Stick Around

I have to say that I will not say I don't like the cd, Yet.

I know, for me anyways it takes about 30-40 times hearing it to like it. I always like the "older" Cd better even when I bought "Foo Fighters" Back in '95 I listened once and said "I Like Nirvana better."

After listening a few times I loved it and the same with the 2nd cd and 3rd and 4th and 5th and today I caught myself saying I like IYH better.

So I listen a few more times and most likely love this one also.

Also Seeing them at the Borgata 10/06/07 will def. help!
02/19/08 - M.S.G. NYC

see more @ my Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/sweatyghost
Old September 27th 2007, 02:57 AM
Visiting is pretty...

For me, while I don't dare list this album in my scale of Foo albums, it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst (for me). But the thing to consider (for me) is that there is no truly bad Foo album.

Rough estimates place things in

In Your Honor
The Colour and the Shape
One by One
(If Skin and Bones counts as an independent album insert it here)
Other wise insert ESPG
Foo Fighters
There is nothing left to loose

This is just a me thing though. I find TiNLtL to be to commercial, but the thing about EVERY Foo album is that I never have to hit the skip button. They don't make filler songs with alot of distortion. Their albums can be played back to back without being distracted by a particularly bad song.
Old September 27th 2007, 06:17 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidkeebler View Post
For me, while I don't dare list this album in my scale of Foo albums, it isn't the best, but it isn't the worst (for me). But the thing to consider (for me) is that there is no truly bad Foo album.
ditto. i'll have to listen to it a few more times to decide how high up my FOO scale this albums goes. I love it...i just don't know how much yet.
Old September 27th 2007, 08:59 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I really like the older foo compared to the newer. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of diversity in the last few albums. I guess I just hated the format of in your honor - I don't want to listen to a compilation of singles, and I wasn't a fan of the acoustic side at all.

Quote:
I find TiNLtL to be to commercial
If anything they're becoming more commercial. These repetitive "rock out" songs that seem to have dominated the last 2 albums seem more commercial to me than anything else. Not to mention the band plastered all over the television(mtv) and the internet.

Oh well I'll still support my first favorite band and hope for the best. They put on a good show no matter what!

For me it'd be..
TCATS
Foo Fighters / There is Nothing Left to Lose
One by One
ESPG
In Your Honor
Old September 27th 2007, 01:41 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Uh Oh... I tried to post a link and I am not allowed to! bbs.foofighters.com does not allow new users to post links until a minimum post count is reached. This regulation is in place to prevent spam.
Old September 27th 2007, 04:51 PM
Teeth-gnashingly twee

I really don't like it.

And I really wanted to.
Old September 27th 2007, 05:24 PM

I Didn't Like The Album At All.

How One Boy,
Saved Rock 'N' Roll
But Couldn't Save Himself
Kurt Cobain February 1967 - April 1994
R.I.P

Last Six Games: WDDWLW
Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Newcastle United
Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa
Middlesboro 2-2 Newcastle United
Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan
Derby County 1-0 Newcastle United
Newcastle United 3-1 West Ham
Old September 27th 2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForTheFoos View Post
I Didn't Like The Album At All.
and now?
Old September 27th 2007, 06:18 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I'm a long-time Foo Fighters fan. After 4 or 5 listens, my reaction hasn't changed; it's a big "meh" with a bit of dissapointment. I keep listening to pick up something that I missed and I'm just not finding it.

In addition to the great comments others have made, my overall problem is this: this album is a rehash of IYH which itself (the "rock disc", not the "acoustic disc") was a rehash of TINTL. A lot of the "rock" songs on IYH seemed to borrow too much from earlier efforts, and this one does the same.

I love S/T through One By One. If I want to listen to a song like the ones that appear on those albums, I'll listen to those, not the subsequent albums (again, IYH disc two excepted; I think that's a good disc and alone should have been IYH).

I'll go against the trend here and say I LIKE "Ballad". Why? Because it's different and sounds neat. It's also not the third rehash of Learn To Fly/Breakout/Monkeywrench.

Thanks to Dave's participation with Queens Of The Stone Age, I've become a far bigger fan of them than the Foos. Josh Homme's philosophy is not to make the same album twice. He says it would be boring and uninteresting to him. Whether you like them or not, each QOTSA album is distinctly different from each other and that to me is the mark of a true artist.

What really frustrates me is that Dave and Josh are supposedly really good friends; why does/how is it possible that Dave not share the same philsophy? With this album as the last, the more interesting tracks from the album sessions are released as b-sides instead of the album proper (I find myself listenting to FFL and Bangin' far more than the albums). I think more than a few Probot songs could have fit onto the past two albums with Dave singing.

And I don't have to imagine how wonderfully wild it would sound to have the range of acoustic-esque through metal-esque on the same album; Josh just did that on Era Vulgaris (Into The Hollow and Run Pig Run).

I was dissapointed by an IYH interview where Dave said a) he didn't like most of One By One (which I felt was a nice progression from TINTL) and b) after they wrapped up the acoustic sessions for IYH, the "realized" they needed some rock songs and banged out what appears on the "rock disc". This album seems like an appeasement to the public or commercial concerns based on both hard/soft and failing on both counts.

Maybe I'm wrong and Dave really enjoys writing this stuff. If so, good for him but it's not really my bag.
Old September 27th 2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus View Post
I'm a long-time Foo Fighters fan. After 4 or 5 listens, my reaction hasn't changed; it's a big "meh" with a bit of dissapointment. I keep listening to pick up something that I missed and I'm just not finding it.

In addition to the great comments others have made, my overall problem is this: this album is a rehash of IYH which itself (the "rock disc", not the "acoustic disc") was a rehash of TINTL. A lot of the "rock" songs on IYH seemed to borrow too much from earlier efforts, and this one does the same.

I love S/T through One By One. If I want to listen to a song like the ones that appear on those albums, I'll listen to those, not the subsequent albums (again, IYH disc two excepted; I think that's a good disc and alone should have been IYH).

I'll go against the trend here and say I LIKE "Ballad". Why? Because it's different and sounds neat. It's also not the third rehash of Learn To Fly/Breakout/Monkeywrench.

Thanks to Dave's participation with Queens Of The Stone Age, I've become a far bigger fan of them than the Foos. Josh Homme's philosophy is not to make the same album twice. He says it would be boring and uninteresting to him. Whether you like them or not, each QOTSA album is distinctly different from each other and that to me is the mark of a true artist.

What really frustrates me is that Dave and Josh are supposedly really good friends; why does/how is it possible that Dave not share the same philsophy? With this album as the last, the more interesting tracks from the album sessions are released as b-sides instead of the album proper (I find myself listenting to FFL and Bangin' far more than the albums). I think more than a few Probot songs could have fit onto the past two albums with Dave singing.

And I don't have to imagine how wonderfully wild it would sound to have the range of acoustic-esque through metal-esque on the same album; Josh just did that on Era Vulgaris (Into The Hollow and Run Pig Run).

I was dissapointed by an IYH interview where Dave said a) he didn't like most of One By One (which I felt was a nice progression from TINTL) and b) after they wrapped up the acoustic sessions for IYH, the "realized" they needed some rock songs and banged out what appears on the "rock disc". This album seems like an appeasement to the public or commercial concerns based on both hard/soft and failing on both counts.

Maybe I'm wrong and Dave really enjoys writing this stuff. If so, good for him but it's not really my bag.
Some of it is very good outstanding, the rest i'm indifferent. Its not my bag either, but i'm learning to live with it. As a musical entity its a very good album, as a foo fighters album- its a little dissapointing. Make out of that what you will.

But overall musically ESPG is a very accomplished album. Some of it is phenomenal- but i'm feeling like its missing something... and its left me wondering where the Foo Fighters i've grown up with have gone.
I'd give it a 6 out of 10 an improvement from the last two albums- but this one isn't really what i'm lookin for from the foos.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
Edinburgh-Meadowbank 2007/
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012

Last edited by everlong_farp_rock : September 27th 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old September 27th 2007, 07:44 PM
Visiting is pretty...

It doesn't sound like the Foo Fighters at times. The songs sound more like a compilation than an album. Listen to The Pretender, Come Alive, Ballad, and Home and tell me they sound like they belong on the same album.

But, it is far from horrible. Its just not like we are used to. Its a lot better than One by One and slightly better than In Your Honour.

ilikegames
Old September 27th 2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Grohl View Post
It doesn't sound like the Foo Fighters at times. The songs sound more like a compilation than an album. Listen to The Pretender, Come Alive, Ballad, and Home and tell me they sound like they belong on the same album.

But, it is far from horrible. Its just not like we are used to. Its a lot better than One by One and slightly better than In Your Honour.
Would you say Monkey Wrench, See You and Walking After You belong together? Or Big Me and Wattershed? How about Stacked Actors and Ain't It The Life?
Sure OXO ad IYH were more cohesive but everyone always sems to criticize those two. But maybe they're the two you like most.
Anyway my point is they've mixed up styles before, nothing new about that.
Old September 27th 2007, 10:17 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus View Post
What really frustrates me is that Dave and Josh are supposedly really good friends; why does/how is it possible that Dave not share the same philsophy?
That is the silliest thing I've ever read. If Josh Homme jumped off a bridge do you think that means Dave should jump off a bridge too?

I'm pretty sure Dave has a brain and his own ideals regarding making music. You people say the strangest things sometimes.