Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 27th 2007, 10:44 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: If you must, criticize ESPG here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly-foo-ous View Post
Would you say Monkey Wrench, See You and Walking After You belong together? Or Big Me and Wattershed? How about Stacked Actors and Ain't It The Life?
Somehow those songs go together though, they have a happy and fun feel

I think the missing ingredient is fun in the new songs, except maybe in Cheer Up Boys.

Like Bangin' is a fun song - and it has a classic foo feel to it, sorta like Walkin' a Line and the likes.... The others are far too serious for a band who have never really taken themselves seriously before (until IYH when they had a set "brief" for the album, hyped it up and fell short)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 27th 2007, 10:50 PM

I don't like the mixing of this cd at all. The vocals are often too quiet so I have to turn up the volume and then I'm blasted when the pace picks up.

Some songs are totally inconsistent with others. For example, vocals are louder on Statues and then the next song But, Honestly I can bearly hear them so have to turn it up.

I thought this upon hearing The Pretender Single before the album release. If you listen to the song on the radio, they have purposely turned up the beginning vocals to match the rest of the song...but on the CD single the vocals are quieter and then when the song kicks in it just sounds unbalanced.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I thought Gil Norton was meant to be one of the best!? What's he done here?
Apollo Victoria, London UK - June
14th 2006
Camden Underworld, London UK - June 16th 2006
Hyde Park, London UK - June 17th 2006
O2 Arena, London UK - November 17th 2007

*UPCOMING (AT LONG LAST!)*:
The National Bowl, Milton Keynes UK - September 6th 2015

Old September 27th 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyhitman View Post
I don't like the mixing of this cd at all. The vocals are often too quiet so I have to turn up the volume and then I'm blasted when the pace picks up.

Some songs are totally inconsistent with others. For example, vocals are louder on Statues and then the next song But, Honestly I can bearly hear them so have to turn it up.

I thought this upon hearing The Pretender Single before the album release. If you listen to the song on the radio, they have purposely turned up the beginning vocals to match the rest of the song...but on the CD single the vocals are quieter and then when the song kicks in it just sounds unbalanced.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I thought Gil Norton was meant to be one of the best!? What's he done here?
I have been thinking a little about the mixing, I think that the quieter vocals have been put in there to emphasise the dynamics more - which has clearly been an aim for this album. More a choice of Dave than Gil.... Generally the production is pretty awesome. Shame about the songs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 27th 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post

I think the missing ingredient is fun in the new songs, except maybe in Cheer Up Boys.

Like Bangin' is a fun song - and it has a classic foo feel to it, sorta like Walkin' a Line and the likes.... The others are far too serious for a band who have never really taken themselves seriously before (until IYH when they had a set "brief" for the album, hyped it up and fell short)

I agree, the album is depressing, I wish it would have a more "happy" vibe to it.
Old September 27th 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Hum, there's more fun in Stranger Things than Walking After You. I get some fun out of The Pretender and The Ballad of BM, and Summer's End and Statues have a pleasant, mellow feel. It's not quite the dark album Dave says it is, though the music and lyrics have gone to places where he was not comfortable going before. I think that's a good thing.
Old September 27th 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Hum, there's more fun in Stranger Things than Walking After You. I get some fun out of The Pretender and The Ballad of BM, and Summer's End and Statues have a pleasant, mellow feel. It's not quite the dark album Dave says it is, though the music and lyrics have gone to places where he was not comfortable going before. I think that's a good thing.
it's not just lyrical.... The whole feel of the album is "we are serious and we are making a grown up serious album"

wheras before, it was "lets make rock and roll and have a laugh on the way... Oh and I have a soft side" -

I also have to disagree, Walking After You has a different feel to Stranger Things which I would say is "heavy". Not in a "HEAVY ASS ROCK AND ROLL" sense, I mean it's very heavy and deep. It's all about vibes. Plus there used to be a decent ballance between the slow and the upbeat. Now, it's generally slow.

Old September 28th 2007, 09:58 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
it's not just lyrical.... The whole feel of the album is "we are serious and we are making a grown up serious album"

wheras before, it was "lets make rock and roll and have a laugh on the way... Oh and I have a soft side" -
i hear that too.

there are little fragments here and there-small bridges or breaks or something that are gorgeous - but then the respective song just seems *blah* as a whole.

itīs as if so much care went into details that the whole thing falls apart in the end - and just isnīt very fetching.

10 for effort, 2 for charm

so far. maybe itīll grow on me, but i had hoped that with iyh and it didnīt happen.
Old September 28th 2007, 10:19 AM
In too deep

I heard a few songs when I was in HMV yesterday. So terrible, I won't be going anywhere near the whole album.

Old September 28th 2007, 04:19 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Llama View Post
I heard a few songs when I was in HMV yesterday. So terrible, I won't be going anywhere near the whole album.
that was my reaction too- for the first half dozen listens to the album, and i actually had to be conviced to buy it- as i expected it to be mellow crap. But trust me this album is a grower, you may be pleasantly surprised. Its not the Foos we all know and love, but its pretty fuckin good all the same.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
Edinburgh-Meadowbank 2007/
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 28th 2007, 04:25 PM

I'm really gettin turned on to this album, but Dave needs to quite repeating the same line over and over and over again. It really takes away from some songs, thats what pissed me off about IYH the most, other than the train wreck rock disc and the accoustic disk devoid of soul, it was the repetitive one line chorus again and again. Unfortunately that i think is a principle problem in Erase/Replace.
But overall, i'm picking up on the intracacies musically which i missed out on at my rage at the lack of actual rock, and realise this is actually a pretty fuckin good album. I'm certainly warming too it.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 28th 2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong_farp_rock View Post
I'm really gettin turned on to this album, but Dave needs to quite repeating the same line over and over and over again. It really takes away from some songs, thats what pissed me off about IYH the most, other than the train wreck rock disc and the accoustic disk devoid of soul, it was the repetitive one line chorus again and again. Unfortunately that i think is a principle problem in Erase/Replace.
But overall, i'm picking up on the intracacies musically which i missed out on at my rage at the lack of actual rock, and realise this is actually a pretty fuckin good album. I'm certainly warming too it.
Don't know if it's the repetitiveness in E/R that makes it hard to listen to or just how forced those words sound. The repetition in Come Alive and Let It Die works really well, I think, as it does in Best O f You. Glad you're warming up to the album.
Old September 28th 2007, 07:18 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Don't know if it's the repetitiveness in E/R that makes it hard to listen to or just how forced those words sound. The repetition in Come Alive and Let It Die works really well, I think, as it does in Best O f You. Glad you're warming up to the album.
I remember someone saying how much they hated Best of You beacause it just repeats the same thing over and over.....of course i defended the foo...cuz it is a good song, but dave does have a thing for repeating. sometimes a song could do without (E/R...still a good song tho) cuz it makes the song kinda of annoying everytime you hear it, like it drags on. But i agree with you that it works in Come alive and Let it Die. For Let it Die i always look forward to the end when he starts screaming and the repetition just builds the excitement.
Old September 28th 2007, 07:43 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
You know how many other bands/songs do the same shit?

You can't pin dumb shit like this on one band.
we all know that......and were not pinning anything on the foos, we just happen to be on the foo fighters postboard so we were discussing it in relation to the foo fighters.
And i fucking love this album
Old September 29th 2007, 11:01 AM

I think the lyrics are what really let down some of the best songs on the album. The Pretender & Let it Die are just awful in places. Also Let It Die, Erase/Replace and Come Alive are far too repetitive in the build up/chorus parts. It just sounds stupid. I think that first half of the album would be much better if he tried a bit harder with the lyrics.

I'm surprised at all the Statues hating though. It's sounds really fresh.

Old September 29th 2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
You know how many other bands/songs do the same shit?

You can't pin dumb shit like this on one band.
It's not dumb shit. It's a common, and effective, poetic practise used for emphasis.
And yeah, done by many.
Old September 29th 2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonzinger View Post
The album is pretty depressing. Even the happy songs are depressing.

Nothing wrong with that.
Not as depressing as One By One.
Old September 29th 2007, 05:43 PM

^ lmao I thought his name was "Rick Ross" and imagine calling the lyrics bad with that kind of name.
Old September 29th 2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonzinger View Post
His lyrics are nowhere near as bad as they can be. IYH for the most part had really lame lyrics. I really like his lyrics on the new album.
i agree- the lyrics sucked in IYH really cheesy. This album is sincere meaningful and the lyrics are on the most part very good. Of course there is the odd corny line, but overall i also like the lyrics on the album.
Glasgow secc 2002<br /
Big day out 2003
T IN THE PARK 2005
SECC 2005
T in the park 2011
Reading festival 2012
Old September 30th 2007, 08:48 AM

What disturbed me the most every time a new album is released is that fact that no one really talks about the good songs ( and trust me the album has good ones) but all off the "fans" are going to critizise the weaker song.
If I take the comments of the last 3 albums the Foo's are getting weaker and weaker with every album! But that just isn't the case.

Okay, i also think that you shouldn't experiment with a piano on an album, that would be good for a singel but at least it helps the Foo's to develop as a band with some new sounds.
If every album would sound as TNLTL or TCATS all of us would soon talk about the fact that all songs sound the same just to have something to talk them down.

A friend calls you in jail. A good friend visits you in jail,
and a best friend is sitting next to you in your cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME"
Old September 30th 2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
What disturbed me the most every time a new album is released is that fact that no one really talks about the good songs ( and trust me the album has good ones) but all off the "fans" are going to critizise the weaker song.
If I take the comments of the last 3 albums the Foo's are getting weaker and weaker with every album! But that just isn't the case.

Okay, i also think that you shouldn't experiment with a piano on an album, that would be good for a singel but at least it helps the Foo's to develop as a band with some new sounds.
If every album would sound as TNLTL or TCATS all of us would soon talk about the fact that all songs sound the same just to have something to talk them down.
Wrong thread, don't criticise the critics! We know what you are saying.
And you have to agree in terms of "rock" they are getting weaker and weaker with each album.