Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 18th 2018, 04:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Thumbs down too loud?

Hi - I was at MSG last nite - I love the Foo Fighters, was like my 5th time seeing them but wow it was really too too loud. Loudest I think they ever played. Im guessing 120 decibles. A lot of kids are gonna wind up with hearing loss or tinnitus which I got from listening to loud music - no cure for that - wear earplugs!
Old July 20th 2018, 10:23 PM
The Boss

Default Re: too loud?

You are preaching to the choir! We talk a lot about earplugs on here. Definitely a must for a Foo show!

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old July 22nd 2018, 12:21 AM
Have you found your way around

MSG was by far the loudest concert Iíve ever been to.

Might have been partly influenced my seat being more or less directly in front of one of the side set of speakers. But Iíve sat in similar positions in other places and not felt it half as much.

After leaving the arena walking to my hotel around the corner and going up in the fast lift to my hotel room on the 30th floor my poor ears and sense of balance were shot.

Will have to remember to take some earplugs next time!
Manchester Arena 05, Manchester Arena 07, Manchester Etihad Stadium 08, London Wembley Arena 11, Milton Keynes Bowl 11, Reading Festival 12, London Invictus Games 14, Manchester LCC 15, Milton Keynes Bowl 15, London 02 Arena 17, Manchester Etihad Stadium 18, London Olympic Stadium 18, New York Madison Square Garden 18
Old July 23rd 2018, 11:26 AM

I suppose speaker placement with where you're standing would matter the most. The Foos are loud, but definitely not the loudest I've been to. Metallica had me literally covering my ears at times, and I wasn't even remotely close to a speaker there!
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
Old August 1st 2018, 07:01 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I was on the floor and had ear plugs and still too too loud and my friend was up in mezz and his ear plugs wernt strong enough either. Believe me this show was way way louder than it needed to be.
Old August 2nd 2018, 12:04 AM
The finder of things...

I was in section 116 for the first show and ya, I found it loud. I brought earplugs for the 2nd show and couldn't wear them. I found it so muffled Luckily I found it less loud in 109 despite being close to the stage.
Old August 2nd 2018, 12:05 AM
Button up, don't make a sound

I was in the pavilion and didn't think the Indy show was too loud. Could help that it was outside. I thought the Struts were too loud.
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)
Old August 2nd 2018, 10:59 AM
Monkey

Is there no health an safety limit in the US?

In the UK its the law to provide Ear Protection for workers if above 85DB, however there are only guidelines for Audience Members: http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/noise.htm

In short, no part of the audience should be exposed to over 106dbA, and be kept away from speaker stacks by at least 3m.

Alot of small venues have power sources to the stage that cut the Amp Power if the limit is exceeded.

Most larger bands will be monitoring levels of the audience throughout the performance.

In general in the UK I've noticed gigs and other events like the cinema are quieter than they used to be!

2011 - Milton Keynes
2008 - Wembley
2007 - The O2
2006 - Hyde Park
2005 - Earls Court
Old August 7th 2018, 04:21 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon84 View Post
Is there no health an safety limit in the US?

In the UK its the law to provide Ear Protection for workers if above 85DB, however there are only guidelines for Audience Members: http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/noise.htm

In short, no part of the audience should be exposed to over 106dbA, and be kept away from speaker stacks by at least 3m.

Alot of small venues have power sources to the stage that cut the Amp Power if the limit is exceeded.

Most larger bands will be monitoring levels of the audience throughout the performance.

In general in the UK I've noticed gigs and other events like the cinema are quieter than they used to be!
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has limits for employers but not for situations like concerts. They deal specifically with worker safety but personal safety people shouldn't be dumbasses and go to shows without ear protection ever!

I'm an Environmental Health and Safety person by day...

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old August 7th 2018, 09:51 PM
Planning my next concert adventure

I was glad to have worn ear plugs at the concert I attended. Usually, when I look around in my section, I'm the only one wearing them but this time I spotted quite a few people also wearing them.
Old August 8th 2018, 07:22 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has limits for employers but not for situations like concerts. They deal specifically with worker safety but personal safety people shouldn't be dumbasses and go to shows without ear protection ever!

I'm an Environmental Health and Safety person by day...
Ah got you, so similar to here then!

I used to work at a company who survey ships and oil rigs, so H&S was a massive part of the mandatory training for all staff!

2011 - Milton Keynes
2008 - Wembley
2007 - The O2
2006 - Hyde Park
2005 - Earls Court
Old August 9th 2018, 01:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

If you ask security in the UK they will get you some earplugs. I have some proper ones that I sometimes wear at gigs. I'm meant to wear them all the time but no matter what they say it definitely does muffle some of the sound rather than just bring it down to a lower level.
I've got tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud music. Its a bit annoying so its better to protect your ears than get stuck with a background EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE forever! You do get used to it though, I forget its there most of the time. I'm not sure its gigs or listening to loud music on earbuds that was the cause. Probably both!
Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 2017
NOS Alive, July 2017
Glastonbury 2017
Paris, Nov, 20 15
Berlin, Nov, 2015
Milton Keynes 6th Sept, 2015
Milton Keynes 5th Sept, 2015
Glastonbury 2015
Wembley, 20th June 2015
Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 2014
Milton Keynes, July 2011
Wembley, June 2008
Reading, August 29th, 1998
Glastonbury June, 26th, 1998
Ozzfest, June 20th,1998
Shepherds Bush, Dec 13th, 1997
Old August 9th 2018, 07:43 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
If you ask security in the UK they will get you some earplugs. I have some proper ones that I sometimes wear at gigs. I'm meant to wear them all the time but no matter what they say it definitely does muffle some of the sound rather than just bring it down to a lower level.
I've got tinnitus and hearing loss from exposure to loud music. Its a bit annoying so its better to protect your ears than get stuck with a background EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE forever! You do get used to it though, I forget its there most of the time. I'm not sure its gigs or listening to loud music on earbuds that was the cause. Probably both!
One time I forgot to take my earplugs on me and went to ask a few members of Genting Arena staff for a pair. They laughed their arses off because apparently it was so funny.

Proper live music listening earplugs shouldn't muffle sound so get another pair. Mine are custom made to fit my ears perfectly and sound is clear as a day.
Old August 10th 2018, 01:14 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
I have these. Not muffled at all.
Old August 10th 2018, 08:28 AM
Monkey

The best ear plugs are the ones that are molded to your ear like IEMs (In Ear Monitors), they create the best seal on the ear.

2011 - Milton Keynes
2008 - Wembley
2007 - The O2
2006 - Hyde Park
2005 - Earls Court
Old August 10th 2018, 08:52 AM
Ready on your mark

What would I be looking at cost-wise for custom plugs? I make do with the disposables because they're easy to pick up and take the extreme harshness out, but they do muffle. Also my ears still ring afterwards and after hundreds of gigs in my lifetime so far, I want to rack up a few hundred more

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old August 10th 2018, 11:27 AM

Location: second star to the right, and straight on till morning

I usually grab a big bag of ear plugs from Home Depot. They are soft enough to roll and put in your ear...then they expand. They are not perfect...but they help.

My hearing is shot from being a silly kid in the front row of many MANY shows without ear protection.

I'd love to invest in a good set.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Old August 10th 2018, 11:59 AM
The Sidekick

I don't know how much custom molded ones would be, not cheap I'd imagine, but the Senner brand are a good option at a reasonable price. I used to have a pair but lost them, they really don't muffle/impair the sound very much at all, certainly not in the way the basic foam ones do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senner-prot.../dp/B01FSO0020

They're also pretty inconspicuous, not bright orange/yellow, so you don't get as many funny looks from people.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 10th 2018, 06:22 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
What would I be looking at cost-wise for custom plugs? I make do with the disposables because they're easy to pick up and take the extreme harshness out, but they do muffle. Also my ears still ring afterwards and after hundreds of gigs in my lifetime so far, I want to rack up a few hundred more
Mine are these. Bought them nearly 10 years ago and they are still as good as new.
Old September 11th 2018, 07:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Unhappy Re: too loud?

Yes, I am a music teacher and brought ear plugs, my ears are still hurting from last nights concert at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon. This show was way too loud and made the audio distorted. Sad because Foo Fighters is one of my favorite bands, but I won't attend another show in the near future. There should be laws protecting the public from something this loud. Dangerous for children and young people. I saw many people around me covering their ears and putting tissue in thier ears! Not Good! listen up Foo Fighters about what damage you are are doing to your fans!