Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 15th 2008, 01:32 AM
I'll Stick Around

Default He was the drummer for Nirvana??

I know this, but I've been noticing lately that a lot of people don't - though mostly people who aren't "die-hard fans" of course...(not saying that's bad).

Anyway, not that I was there or had ever heard of Dave Grohl once Nirvana ceased to exist, but I'm sure that once Nirvana was done and over with - and Dave went straight back into the studio to start the Foo Fighters - that he was known as "Nirvana's drummer", and that all the odds were against him to be able to accepted as the frontman of the band. He was the drummer, after all. But since then, this band he's started has gone on to win six Grammys, and like I said, most people who have recently jumped the bandwagon, thanks to their commercial success over the past couple of years, are oblivious to the fact that his stardom goes much further back.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Dave really amazes me. Chris, Nate and Taylor do as well, of course, but Dave began this band by himself, playing every instrument, and from there has become a six time Grammy winner. It takes someone really passionate and determined to be able to do all that, I'm sure, and for over a decade too. The nonstop touring, writing, recording, playing, partying, appearance-making, and balancing this with valuable family-time must really wear someone down, and I guess I really respect Dave and the rest of the band.

Just thought I'd share this..

Last edited by gotfoo : February 16th 2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old February 15th 2008, 04:35 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Default Re: He was the drummer for Nirvana??

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

The Foo Fighters are so well known now (and have been for years) that you will get tons of people saying wow, he was the drummer for that other band too?

You know its good when people are asking that, as if they should know of Nirvana first. As for me, I knew of him in the Foo Fighters first, so I was one of those people, and I am damn glad. So pretty much, its to the point where he's more the Foo guy than the other Nirvana guy (and sixth drummer).
Old February 15th 2008, 06:07 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfoo View Post
and like I said, most people who have recently jumped the bandwagon, thanks to their commercial success over the past couple of years, are oblivious to the fact that his stardom goes much further back.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Dave really amazes me. Chris, Nate and Taylor do as well, of course, but Dave began this band by himself, playing every instrument, and from there has become a six time Grammy winner.
I never knew who Dave Grohl was in the first place ha ha. I was never into Nirvana (somehow I missed all the Grunge era because I'm a little bit older than the Foo band members) and so I did not know nothing... The first time I heard of the Foo's was when they were supporting the Redhotchilipeppers on one of their tours some years ago. But I did not see them because when I went to see the Red Hot's there was another band supporting. I only heard of the Foo's from other Rhcp fans. I got into the band when I watched them on television last year *live from Wembley/London*- it was this *Live Earth* thing. I was mesmerized. Needless to say I have never seen them live so far. Only on tape. I'm looking forward to this summer because I will go to see them! So I'm fairly new in the Foo Fighters department. I have a lot of catching up to do though regarding all their records. I have always been into music btw.

Last edited by Sooze2 : February 15th 2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old February 15th 2008, 07:09 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfoo View Post
Anyway, not that I was there or had ever heard of Dave Grohl once Nirvana ceased to exist, but I'm sure that once Nirvana was done and over with - and Dave went straight back into the studio to start the Foo Fighters--
Actually, he didn't. He stopped playing music for much of 1994. In late '94, before recording what became the first Foo album, he was offered a job as Tom Petty's drummer, and came very close to accepting. He actually played drums for Petty for an appearance on SNL before he gave Tom a final definitive no.
Old February 15th 2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

Who cares?
Old February 15th 2008, 07:42 AM
Visiting is pretty...

As I know, Dave usually takes offence at if anybody think of him as a drummer of Nirvana more than FF frontman and something like that. To my mind Dave have already proved with Foo Fighters that he is more than just Nirvana drummer and even old die-hard fans of both - Foo Fighters and Nirvana now think of him as talented musician and great rock star.
Old February 15th 2008, 07:45 AM
I'll never say goodbye

To echo a previous comment: who gives a fuck?

Losers.
Old February 15th 2008, 09:06 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Stu, have your coffee first.

Given the number of FF fans, say, under 20, do the math. Better still, the <14 ones were born post KC. Beyond that, agree w/ Stu & ZAMD.

-FMOA

The Aurora Cam
Old February 15th 2008, 12:03 PM
The Boss

Stu, Marc, get the fuck out of this thread...LOSERS!

Also, Dave does not take offense to being referred to anything having to do with Nirvana.

However, HERE at foofighters.com we discuss foo fighters. This type of thing has been discussed adnaseum here so I shall refer you all to the frequent post archive.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old February 15th 2008, 12:13 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

I was gonna say...it's in Gen Foo! Back off you pikers!
(I realise this makes no sense to anyone outside of Australia, and a few in the UK )
Some of us are still fans of the frickin' band!!!! But yes. Ahem. FPA.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old February 15th 2008, 12:26 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

LOL Re: He was the drummer for Nirvana??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
He was in Nirvana?!! Wow...

*revels in new information*

BTW - my birthday is the same day as Kurts *coughNextWednesdaycough* [/random]
See, I did not know this. I mean, I knew your birthday was next week, but had no idea you had the same birthday as Mr Cobain. I'm a bad fangirl.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old February 15th 2008, 12:45 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Talking Re: He was the drummer for Nirvana??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
Same as Cindy Crawford too. I think we must have been seperated at birth...

(in a Danny Devito / Arnie Schwarzenegger 'Twins' scenario)
Exactly. And you're the Arnie twin, she pales in comparison to you.

Old February 15th 2008, 09:28 PM
I'll Stick Around

All you so-called die-hard former Nirvana and Foo Fans nowadays who came into this thread after me are a bunch of idiots! WHAT exactly is it what you want to tell us new Foo Fighter fans with spouting off crap? Man I have seen people like you on other boards before. Same old same old...don't give me any of your shit. I have heard it all before. Treat people with respect and if you can't do this get the hell out of here!
Old February 16th 2008, 03:39 AM
I'll Stick Around

I remember when i wuz watchin a tv show

and they ( Dee Snider) said that Dave went from that 1 guy to a well known frontman
Old February 16th 2008, 08:24 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Well I heard of Dave Grohl in the early eighties.....he was in a punk band, and actually played Stow Hill Labour Club,Newport, South Wales Uk, ( home of DIRTY SANCHEZ and TJs where KURT COBAIN 'apparently' asked COURTNEY LOVE to marry him) as did HUSKER DU, anyone with a good knowledge of Nirvana know how big an influence HUSKER DU were on the whole GRUNGE SCENE.
As a NEWPORT GIRL i'm so proud and my late BRO, went to see them all who is my biggest musical influence, sorrys guys just had to share that............yawn <<laughing>>
Old February 17th 2008, 02:51 AM
Have you found your way around

I have to inform friends of this- often
Old February 17th 2008, 07:57 AM
Visiting is pretty...

ok ok ok no need for the sarcastic roll of the eyes icon.............anyone who writes a reply deserves a pat on the back for airing they're views.........and this person knows whom i am referring to.........its a bit of fun......ffs chill out..........and go with the flow.........sheesh
Old March 6th 2008, 05:36 AM
I'll Stick Around

Just like Buddy Holly,oh wait what was the topic again?ha ha
Old March 7th 2008, 06:42 PM
Have you found your way around

What? No. What? I had always heard that Nirvana's drummers had all spontaneously combusted, so they just started using electronic drums, and rotated between Devo, Janis Joplin, and A Flock of Seagulls playing them. Really. I promise. I bet my life and the life of my 25 cats on it. (Oh yeah, add John Bonham to that list).

Last edited by vickielp : March 7th 2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Don't know, don't care.
Old June 22nd 2008, 06:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

We all know how talented Dave is as musician! Not only as drummer, but also as guitar player, lead singer,... He is awesome! I don't think of him as the drummer off... for me he is Dave Grohl, THE Dave Grohl! Nothing else to it.

If people see him as the drummer of Nirvana, than why not as the drummer of Scream? No, Dave is Dave, and he rocks!