Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 22nd 2011, 04:08 PM
Have you found your way around

Default When/Why did you start collecting?

For me it was right after the OBO release and i got a few vinyl singles and form there it took off but it wasnt until lately it took off into a real collection, I think it was somewhere between IYH and ESPG i really got into old singles and finding all the vinyl

It sure is fun to find a real rarity once in a while!
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old January 22nd 2011, 04:17 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: When/Why did you start collecting?

Only 2005, and I have no idea why. Just got the IYH singles and went from there I guess.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 22nd 2011, 04:23 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

I got into the band with TCATS and by the pre-release of TNLTL i was on full Fooreak mode, getting ANYTHING from them, in a Backstreet Boys girl fashion.

I entered and won the contest for the VHS "press kit", bought a print of TNLTL press release thingy (along with a picture). Got an amazing (now lost) FF American Airlines mock keychain, and the next natural step was to get the Learn to Fly single, then I found there were 2 parts, then I started going back from there BUT stopped on Best of You 1.

I've been meaning to get with the program but it'll be quite a buck! I just like official CD singles, mostly for the artwork and obviously the bsides (hate live bsides tho). Not a Vinyl/promoCDs collector.
Old January 22nd 2011, 05:18 PM
A star burned out

seriously thinking about starting a (physical) Foo collection, is it too late?
it sure will be expensive, that I know....

the only collection I have is of digital files, but nothing impressive and the already mentioned magazines collection I stopped because of FooArchive, any tips or suggestions on how/where to start? anything is useful, even a "don't do it"...
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old January 22nd 2011, 05:23 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
seriously thinking about starting a (physical) Foo collection, is it too late?
it sure will be expensive, that I know....

the only collection I have is of digital files, but nothing impressive and the already mentioned magazines collection I stopped because of FooArchive, any tips or suggestions on how/where to start? anything is useful, even a "don't do it"...
I only started five years ago and I'm not that far behind some of the guys that started in the nineties, so It's never really too late. Best place to start is with the UK singles, they're the easiest and cheapest to obtain with a couple of exceptions.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 22nd 2011, 05:28 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I only started five years ago and I'm not that far behind some of the guys that started in the nineties, so It's never really too late. Best place to start is with the UK singles, they're the easiest and cheapest to obtain with a couple of exceptions.
thanks a lot, Simon! that really encouraged me, will check them out and probably buy a few.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old January 22nd 2011, 05:36 PM
The Sidekick

Like I say a lot are really cheap. It would depend on their shipping to Brazil of course, but here are some examples:

TIAC, $6.68 inc shipping to Brazil - http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Foo-Fighter...item5190f42f38

Big Me, £3.90 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/FOO-FIGHTERS-BIG... f6b8158#shId

FATC £3.50 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/Foo-Fighters-All... 6a70c76#shId

ISA - £3.99 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/Foo-Fighters-Ill... 8c94846#shId

That's the four S/T singles for next to nothing already.

--
Old January 22nd 2011, 05:40 PM
Have you found your way around

I've already planned to buy all physical copies of the new album and singles, and I know that my addictive nature will make me end up wanting to get them all.
Old January 22nd 2011, 06:26 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Like I say a lot are really cheap. It would depend on their shipping to Brazil of course, but here are some examples:

TIAC, $6.68 inc shipping to Brazil - http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Foo-Fighter...item5190f42f38

Big Me, £3.90 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/FOO-FIGHTERS-BIG... f6b8158#shId

FATC £3.50 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/Foo-Fighters-All... 6a70c76#shId

ISA - £3.99 inc shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/Foo-Fighters-Ill... 8c94846#shId

That's the four S/T singles for next to nothing already.
wow, thanks so much, Simon! I was taking a look at eBay, got some really good results, really affordable, but these examples are so much cheaper, next to nothing really. I knew shipping costs would raise the price, but didn't think there were so affordable options with that included. really appreciate you taking the time to show me these. I'm tempted to start it right now, and probably will.
Old January 22nd 2011, 06:31 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I've already planned to buy all physical copies of the new album and singles, and I know that my addictive nature will make me end up wanting to get them all.
I will probably do that to, will buy as they come out, that will be a lot easier and availabe at the likes of amazon and stuff.
Old January 22nd 2011, 10:53 PM
A star burned out

well, I just started collecting.

as for why, maybe because my increased admiration for the band over the years followed by an old interest in collectibles. spent some time browsing ebay for items that first grabbed my attention, followed Simon's advice and started with Uk singles, but didn't want to go only for them for the first batch, so I tried to balance it a little, so got a VERY cheap 1-track UK promo for TIAC and the UK single for Big Me also for a good price. then got Monkey Wrench 7 inch single vinyl and an incredibly cheap and sealed Japanese IYH edition in a special package with the DVD I was interested in, paid almost less than what it would cost the regular brazilian edition at the local record store.

I think it's good for a start.

now I'm waiting awfully anxious for them to arrive.
Old January 22nd 2011, 10:57 PM
The Boss

I got the This is a Call single a week or two before the first record came out....Everything else has sorta been a reflection of the "I like this band and want to hear everything I can"
Old January 22nd 2011, 11:03 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I got the This is a Call single a week or two before the first record came out....Everything else has sorta been a reflection of the "I like this band and want to hear everything I can"
wow, your collection must be massive if you never stopped since then.
but I know the feeling of wanting to hear everything possible, that's how I started my collection of audio files, at one point I had like 10 versions of a same song, each from a different show.
Old January 22nd 2011, 11:40 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
but I know the feeling of wanting to hear everything possible, that's how I started my collection of audio files, at one point I had like 10 versions of a same song, each from a different show.
That's exactly what I do with Nirvana music. I mean, ya gotta have the acoustic, the demo, the live, and of course the studio version of your favorite tunes, right?

Concerts I've been to:
NSYNC (don't remember date, I was 4 yrs old)

Foo Fighters in Tulsa 5-17-11
Foo Fighters in Memphis 5-20-11
Old January 22nd 2011, 11:48 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickNick View Post
That's exactly what I do with Nirvana music. I mean, ya gotta have the acoustic, the demo, the live, and of course the studio version of your favorite tunes, right?
exactly!!
Old January 22nd 2011, 11:48 PM
How Do You Do

I got the Big Me single the week it came out in 96....Everything else has sorta been a reflection of the "I like this band and want to buy everything I can" ....so i went back and got 'for all the cows' 'this is a call' and 'ill stick around' singles.

i had the album when it came out, but hadn't got any singles originally. now i have 'em all

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old January 23rd 2011, 02:15 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Haha, I have a little more than 10 versions of each song.

My current live show list. That's just audio as well, plenty more on DVD.

--
Old January 23rd 2011, 05:21 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Haha, I have a little more than 10 versions of each song.

My current live show list. That's just audio as well, plenty more on DVD.
whoa!! I knew you had a great collection but had no idea what exactly you had, that is really impressive!

of course I said 10 as a round number, it was a lot more than that but not even the closest of what you have there.
Old January 23rd 2011, 12:46 PM
I'll Stick Around

It seems like I'm the 'new guy' to all the collecting. I've been feeling this fever which could only be healed by collecting all major releases by the Foos for almost a year now. I've still got a long way to go.

Damn I'm jealous of all of you, guys!
Old January 23rd 2011, 02:49 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
whoa!! I knew you had a great collection but had no idea what exactly you had, that is really impressive!

of course I said 10 as a round number, it was a lot more than that but not even the closest of what you have there.
The sad/funny thing is that's probably not even half complete with all the sources that are out there, although I'm constantly adding to it.

But again, I didn't have anything before 2005 (That was the first year I actually had a computer at home, or it may have been late 2004 so I wasn't "on" the internet until then) so it's not taken that long. I just started downloading some of the 2005 shows from torrents and it went from there.

--