Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 18th 2017, 04:32 PM
How Do You Do

Exclamation 'Everlong' - 20 years old

Possibly the greatest Foo Fighters song, 'Everlong' was released on 18th August 1997 (19th in USA?). 2 CD singles + vinyl, it included 'Drive Me Wild' and 'Requiem' covers.

Official video for 'Everlong'

What's your favourite live version of this song?

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 18th 2017, 04:54 PM
Looking for a sign of life

Default Re: 'Everlong' - 20 years old

The Slane Castle version on the EBH-DVD. Love that version. It was also the first song I learned to play on the guitar, back in the day.
Old August 18th 2017, 05:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Man time has flown by. It's really hard not to say Letterman's first show back from heart surgery. That was such an emotional performance. But my personal favorite is Reading 2012. I really love Everlong closing out a set and that crowd was intense. Major festivals are just wild to begin with and Foo Fighters headlining them makes for a killer show.
Old August 18th 2017, 08:30 PM
Visiting is pretty...

That 2 Meter Sessies jazzy one, ATM.
Old August 18th 2017, 09:37 PM
Normal

At the moment it is Letterman's final show.

I can't believe it was released 20 years ago because the song hasn't aged a day.
Old August 19th 2017, 12:52 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Cheetah View Post
It's really hard not to say Letterman's first show back from heart surgery.
that's bittersweet to me because they cancelled brazilian dates to do that performance, it'd be the first time they'd be here and at a very small venue, they ended up coming a year later but at a festival which isn't the same thing. they'd be back again only 11 years later as festival headliners never being able to play smaller venues again due to their much higher status.

I do love the bossa nova feel of the acoustic 2 meter though.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old August 19th 2017, 01:00 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
that's bittersweet to me because they cancelled brazilian dates to do that performance, it'd be the first time they'd be here and at a very small venue, they ended up coming a year later but at a festival which isn't the same thing. they'd be back again only 11 years later as festival headliners never being able to play smaller venues again due to their much higher status.

I do love the bossa nova feel of the acoustic 2 meter though.
Do you know anything concrete about the details of that? Obviously that has always been the official story but I've always found it odd. That was recorded Feb 18th, the first show in Brasil wasn't due until the 24th, surely plenty of time to get down there. They'd have only needed a small amount of equipment for Letterman, all the rest could've been shipped down ready.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 19th 2017, 01:10 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Do you know anything concrete about the details of that? Obviously that has always been the official story but I've always found it odd. That was recorded Feb 18th, the first show in Brasil wasn't due until the 24th, surely plenty of time to get down there. They'd have only needed a small amount of equipment for Letterman, all the rest could've been shipped down ready.
the "official" version Dave gave to several media here was that they found out their gigs were sponsored by big corporations and that went against the bands' beliefs which is fishy as hell because they did much bigger shows all over the world before then, the show they played here less than a year later was a huge AOL event, I think he made that up to avoid disappointing people any further. another version given was Chris' dad passing away but given how it's a private matter there isn't much more details about that, my personal feeling is that even though it's an undeniable tough moment it may have been a natural, expected thing to happen which I doubt would force them to cancel several dates, maybe one at most.

I think that the Letterman thing makes more sense, even though 18 to 24 seems a long time maybe they just weren't a big enough operation like nowadays to pull it off and decided it was safer not to try.

to this day it's a very weird story though.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old August 19th 2017, 01:19 AM
The Sidekick

Hmm ok, weird indeed. Perhaps there was a bigger reason they didn't happen but if so, probably not one we're going to find out. I don't buy Letterman being the only/main reason, 6 days is surely enough and as I say, it's not like they were playing a full show, they wouldn't need lighting rigs, most of the sound equipment, only one set of guitars etc. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could've done it logistically. They played a full show in LA on Jan 14 2000 and were in New Zealand for a show on Jan 21. If they could get to NZ in a week, I'm sure they could get to Brazil in 6 days.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 19th 2017, 01:24 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Hmm ok, weird indeed. Perhaps there was a bigger reason they didn't happen but if so, probably not one we're going to find out. I don't buy Letterman being the only/main reason, 6 days is surely enough and as I say, it's not like they were playing a full show, they wouldn't need lighting rigs, most of the sound equipment, only one set of guitars etc. I'm sure if they wanted to, they could've done it logistically. They played a full show in LA on Jan 14 2000 and were in New Zealand for a show on Jan 21. If they could get to NZ in a week, I'm sure they could get to Brazil in 6 days.
I think you're right, I never thought about it in that much detail comparing to similar situations. 2 of the 3 versions given make no sense then, maybe they just didn't feel like coming and cancelling with those specific promoters wouldn't be much of a headache. I guess we'll never know for sure.
Old August 19th 2017, 02:00 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Arrow Re: 'Everlong' - 20 years old

I do love this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcStPIK4fx0

Just saying, I'm not the one who filmed this. My friend and I was standing by Pat and Nate. It's this song and Aurora in KB Hallen in 2002 that stands out.
Old August 19th 2017, 03:47 PM
I'll Stick Around

I have to go with Letterman's final show. You can hear Dave get choked up and when Dave Letterman introduced the song doesn't he say my favorite band playing my favorite song? Pretty special....
Old August 21st 2017, 01:10 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Rolling Stone 20th May 2017 - "Everlong" began life as "a Sonic Youth rip-off."

With its ringing, sustained chords and earnestly romantic lyrics – long rumored to be about Louise Post of Veruca Salt, whom Grohl was briefly involved with following the breakup of his first marriage – "Everlong" remains one of Foo Fighters' most beloved tracks. But when he first came up with the chord sequence, Grohl thought it sounded more like Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia" than anything else. "We took a break for Christmas, so I went back to Virginia by myself," he told Kerrang! in June 2006. "I took the rough tracks of what we'd done and it didn't seem right. The album had something missing. But I had this one riff that I originally thought was a Sonic Youth rip-off, but I decided it might be good to turn it into a song. When I brought it to our producer Gil Norton, he said, 'That's great! Let's put it on the album!'"
Old August 21st 2017, 03:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

Hey, I remember when I bought the two UK CD singles of it here in the UK back when it was released. It was a cool time, I think I was only about 14 at the time. MTV in the UK was different back then; there was only one channel, MTV Europe I think. And although I saw the Monkey Wrench video quite a bit I only saw the Everlong video on the Superock show late at night. To think it has gone from being a relatively moderate alternative hit back then to being a massive selling fan favourite, arguably Foo Fighter's most acclaimed song.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old August 21st 2017, 05:31 PM
How Do You Do

i was glued to MTV2 and The Box.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 1st 2017, 03:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Can't believe it's 20yrs old! The video is class for it! @Captain Beyond had mentioned the Slane Castle version of the song, I was lucky enough to see them at Slane recently in 2015, I've never felt an atmosphere like it!
Old September 1st 2017, 04:12 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Can't believe it's 20yrs old! The video is class for it! @Captain Beyond had mentioned the Slane Castle version of the song, I was lucky enough to see them at Slane recently in 2015, I've never felt an atmosphere like it!

Got as far as the word "class" in your first sentence before I looked at where you're from

WAIT UNTIL MY BOMB GOES OFF
Old September 1st 2017, 07:48 PM
I'll Stick Around

Foo Fighters certifications at the RIAA website were updated last month and the Everlong single is now 2x Platinum in the US.

Best of You and The Pretender are also now 2x Platinum and Learn to Fly is Platinum. Wasting Light and ESP&G also now certified platinum albums.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old September 2nd 2017, 04:09 PM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

Everlong--

I recall the first time I heard it: May of 1997, Modern Rock Love was the syndicated Sunday evening radio program on 93.7 The Edge, in the Twin Cities area, and Jed the Fish had Dave (and I think Taylor) on. They played some new tracks from the forthcoming The Colour and the Shape album. When Everlong came on, I was sitting on my bed discussing baseball practice with a pal and we were both floored with the sound and beauty of Everlong as it world premiered on the radio waves.
The next week, my dad drove me to the local Best Buy (I was in 8th grade) and I bought...get ready...the cassette tape and wore that baby out. I have since purchased both CD versions, one twice, as well as the LP. When I listened through for the first time and February Stars ended, or so I thought, and Everlong was on deck, I turned the volume way up. The bliss that is the end of February Stars transitioning into those classic intro notes of Everlong did something to me, and likely many on this board, that will always be savored.
That's my 20-year Everlong story. Fast-forward --> I now have a daughter named Eva, whom I call Evalong.
Music is awesome.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)