Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 15th 2011, 03:50 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Foo for Coma and TBI

My son was hit by an SUV when he was riding his bike, he had several broken bones and a severe traumatic brain injury as a result. He was in a coma for a month and by the 3rd week the doctors told us that he was most likely going to be on a ventilator for the rest of his life, he was squeezing my hand and would want to touch his sister's hair when she was close by so I knew he was aware we were close. We stayed with him 24/7 in the intensive care unit. The doctor told us to start playing his favorite music so we played Foo Fighters very quietly for him and just acoustic stuff. Before his accident he played guitar all the time unless he was playing X-box. He was teaching himself how to play Everlong because he knew I loved that song. One day at the hospital I asked him if he wanted to listen to The Foo and he gave me a thumbs up! It was the breakthrough we had been waiting for and we knew that this was proof that he was still with us and could hear everything going on. The docs were not convinced until he did it for them a few times, (giving a thumbs up when asked). We had further confirmation that our child was still with us when I asked him if I should play some John Mayer and he gave me the middle finger (I love John Mayer, he does not). He spent another 3 months in the hospital and it has been a very long recovery and he is never going to be the same, he needs help with everything now and has difficulties walking.
He was only 16 years old then and we had just seen his very first concert-The Foo Fighters a few months before his accident. One of his main goals in physical and occupational therapy has been to play guitar again and be able to go see the Foo Fighters in concert again. I am taking him to the St.Paul show in September, he doesn't know yet and this will be a huge suprise for him! It will be his first concert since his accident, unfortunately he has had a secondary brain injury last fall, he fell 20 feet off of a deck head first after being left alone by a caregiver we trusted him with and he has additional mobility and cognitive deficits from that accident. He is a tough kid and just keeps hanging on, he was in the intensive care unit again after that incident. It has been difficult getting to know a new person as he is so different now almost 3 years after his first accident but he still loves Foo Fighters. I am hoping he will be able to make it through the whole show if we skip the opening bands. We can't take him out in crowded places very often because of seizures and mobility issues but this is worth the risk to see him happy and being a kid again!
Old June 15th 2011, 03:54 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Foo for Coma and TBI

Wow, that is just awful I am very sorry you and your family are going through this. What a tough kid!
Foos do amazing things for people, I am glad they were able to help with his break through!
Good luck to you guys!

Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Old June 15th 2011, 03:59 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Have faith, miracles do happen. In the meantime, your continued support and love, along with your desire to keep him happy will see you through. Remember, this is Foo Family!! We are here.

Team Nate (Mr. Smoooooth)
Old June 15th 2011, 04:40 PM
WWLD?

I work for a community college that has an Acquired Brain Injury program. Every year they hold a graduation ceremony for their students and I am always amazed at the stories told - from car/motorcycle/bicycle accidents to strokes, brain tumors or infections. The resilience of the human spirit is truly inspiring. It sounds like it's been a challenge for your son. I hope that with the love and support of his family and therapy, he will continue to get better.
Old June 15th 2011, 06:08 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Foonut, oneonpitch and Tai:
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, I love the positivity of this postboard and of course I knew there would be amazing people after all you are fans of the best band of all time
Tai: We have a college program here for individuals with TBI but it is pretty far from our home, it is something that I have been interested in for Drew (my son) but kinda forgot about it until today so I am going to check into it this week and see if it would be something he could attend. He is 19 years-old now so it is time to start looking at that option.
Thank you.
Old June 15th 2011, 06:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Wow. What an amazing story. Hope he has a full recovery someday.
Old June 15th 2011, 09:56 PM
Da doo doo doo, da dah dah dah

How difficult this has to be on all of you. If you ever need to vent, start up a thread in Foo Free. We're pretty good listeners/readers.

I hope all goes well for Drew!
Old June 15th 2011, 10:04 PM
Have you found your way around

Amazing story, thank you for sharing. Also, I love that he gave you the middle finger when you asked if he wanted to hear John Mayer - a sense of humor is so important especially in these situations. I hope for his continued success.
Old June 16th 2011, 02:24 AM
I'll Stick Around

good luck....tell Drew that people on the board are thinking of him.....we're all connected through love of ff.
Old June 16th 2011, 04:23 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Tell Drew that Jen from St. Paul is cheering him on for a full recovery.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old June 16th 2011, 04:58 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Stories like yours make me realize that I have no right to complain about anything. My thoughts are with you and your son. Rock on and keep the faith.
_________
Milton Keynes
Madison Square Garden,
Verizon Center, Newark
Grammys
Bamboozlefest
Outside Lands
Global Fest
Sound City Players at Hammerstein Ballroom
National- RVA
Old June 16th 2011, 06:13 PM
Screams in silence

The power of music is amazing, at least the right music. Second only to the power of a loving family. Good luck to Drew and your family in the challenges you will face. It's great you're taking him to see the Foos!