Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th 2011, 05:02 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: What is objectively the best Foo Fighters song?

Everlong

simply memorable memorable memorable

great lyrics
great riffs-
great playin'

very inspiring and it ROCKS in different sections,
just about perfect

my other faves of course fit that bill too- Best of You Pretender Times LIke These and Arlandria

also Learn to Fly and Big Me are just about perfect pop songs, but I remember the Foos for the huge riffs!

cheers:>
Old June 26th 2011, 05:05 PM
I'll Stick Around

I dont think theres any song ever made by man that HAS NOT been subject to emotion.

If you want music that is not subject to emotion, ask those talentless R&B and rap stars how they made their music.

Regards
Old June 26th 2011, 05:13 PM
Have you found your way around

In bloom

I've been working like a Japanese prisoner of war. But a happy one.
Old June 27th 2011, 07:35 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitotosi View Post
I'd have to say Everlong.
Why?
-it has perfect duration (like most singles do)
-it's catchy and you'll never get tired of listening/playing/singing it (well, that may be my own personal opinion, but I think it applies in general)
-it's simple (speaking in terms of the song's strucute, amount of verses/chorus/etc and their order)
-it's melodic and hard rocking at the same time
-it sounds great acoustic
-the main guitar riff: it's original (the chorus isn't though) and awsome!
-the drums fit really well with the other instruments
-everytime you show this song to anyone (who likes rock in general) that never heard it before, he/she will probably like it (experience taught me that)
-I can't think of anything else right now (or I got bored), but I'm sure there is more explanation.

As you can see, I like using parentheses to make myself clearer, crazy eh?

Edit: Also, Bob Dylan liked it and showed interested in playing it (he supposedly wote the best song ever or something according to some magazine(s), right?)
I'm too lazy to type out my own wording but its virtually the same.
Old June 27th 2011, 08:39 AM
I'll Stick Around

What a dumb Thread, seriosly...

Objectivity is subjectiv in music.

2001 BIZARRE Festival, Weeze, Germany
2005 HIGHFIELD Festival, Erfurt, Germany
2011 GLORIA, Cologne, Germany
Old June 27th 2011, 09:55 AM
I'll Stick Around

Yeah I get that no matter what there is a subjective element to what you choose but I also believe that there is such a thing as one piece of music being better objectively. I know there is music that I don't particularly like out there that is better than what I like. I can recognise that when I listen to it. Maybe thats just from being a musician or something?

I tried to get people to think about it and not just pick their favourite but the one that they think is the "best" song as a song. Then give reasons to justify it and 'their critical view of the song. So that maybe people could discuss those points further and if we got a broader critical view of things we'd at least get closer to being objective about it.

WAIT UNTIL MY BOMB GOES OFF
Old June 27th 2011, 04:34 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

A320.
that song is just freakin' good!
A beautiful piece of music.
with other words
it's just a masterpiece!!!

Old June 27th 2011, 04:42 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan49321 View Post
I dont think theres any song ever made by man that HAS NOT been subject to emotion.

Regards
I agree with this statement. Music is always subjective because it comes from the emotional, creative side of the brain. People can say "great lyrics" and "great structure" but the word great is subjective. Truly, both Beauty and Music are in the eye of the beholder.

That's where I stand on it.

Team Nate (Mr. Smoooooth)
Old June 28th 2011, 06:42 AM
I'll Stick Around

Thumbs up Re: What is objectively the best Foo Fighters song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaŽl View Post
A320.
that song is just freakin' good!
A beautiful piece of music.
with other words
it's just a masterpiece!!!
Yup.

Last edited by Ain't_It_The_Life : June 28th 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old June 28th 2011, 01:15 PM
I'll Stick Around

Ill Stick Around

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old June 29th 2011, 08:10 PM
I'll Stick Around

Oh come on...I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But there is such a thing as an opinion being wrong! I'm sick of political correctness bs. I hate how these days there's this notion that you've got to respect everyone's opinions no matter what. But people can be wrong about things. It's like if someone decided to kill a baby every day for a year, you've got to feel like it's ok, cos that's what his beliefs are.

I know that peoples taste in music is subjective. But there is such a thing as one piece of music being better than another.

It seems like you can't say that this -http://tinyurl.com/3shs9ft is better than this - http://tinyurl.com/4l27gu anymore.
I realise maybe it's an unfair comparison, but I just needed something significantly different to make my point. Just because some 4 year old thinks the second piece of 'art' is better doesn't mean it is. There is so much more depth, more emotion, more skill, creativity etc. in the first. Everyone sees their world subjectively, but with some knowledge of a subject there is such a thing as objectivity.

That's why I think with some discussion amongst a group of people who really put some intelligent thought into it, we could get past the subjectivity somewhat and get closer to an objective answer.

Last edited by Steve : June 30th 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old June 29th 2011, 08:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Maybe an odd choice here, as I'm new and don't normally hang around Foo fans (working on changing this), but All My Life would be right up there and a close second -- perhaps ultimately surpassing it -- would be Walk from the new album. Why? Same answer to both: dynamics. The songs are rife with energy and this incredible and satisfying musical denoument. Can't say that about every song. Most Foo songs are melodically rich, for instance....and it's pretty much WHY I like like them so well, but not every song literally goes some place. And that's not a bad thing. I'd hate it if they wrote 16 years worth of songs with the exact same dynamics, so I appreciate that they're a bit fewer and further between.

Aurora is an excellent choice too. I love that song. It almost has a quasi-spiritual center to it for me. It's very special in an atmospheric way.

I suppose objective and subjective are the same for me in many ways because outlining my "objectivity" is almost the definition for precisely WHY I love them...making the choice subjective. Ironic.

Last edited by Presto-digitation : June 29th 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old June 29th 2011, 08:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roquai View Post
What a dumb Thread, seriosly...

Objectivity is subjectiv in music.
I hadn't read this comment yet, but you can see from my post ^^ that I fully get what you're saying here.
Old June 29th 2011, 09:00 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Hi im new to the board and thought i would make this my first post. For me its I should have known . Its probably because i loved Nirvana and just hearing krist on the bass again brings back so many memories. I love it.
Old June 29th 2011, 09:04 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
But there is such a thing as an opinion being wrong! I'm sick of political correctness bs.
I'm not sure how that is....and I don't know any of you, so that's not me trying to step on feet either. For instance, I don't care if the whole lot of you HATE "Home", say, I still love it...and would ardently defend it. What makes an opinion wrong, the seeming culmination of the masses against it? If so, I like a lot of shit. I suppose we all do, in all likelihood.

There's no "universal truth" to this stuff. When you like a song I don't like, I think you have bad taste. When I do the same, you think I do. Fair enough. But when and how, more importantly, does someone actually "win" that battle?

That's not about being PC, it's about having a taste that is specific to me or to you. I think that's permissable without upsetting the great Galactic Watcher.

And if I presume you're right, how do you know YOU'RE not the one who's wrong...and it's your tastes that suck? Wouldn't that be a knock in the head?

Last edited by Presto-digitation : June 29th 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old June 29th 2011, 09:24 PM
I'll Stick Around

Opinion should be backed up by facts, if it isn't, while the opinion isn't in itself wrong, it is based on wrong information.
Taste on the other hand can't be wrong.

But I'm not talking about tastes that's the thing. Foo Fighters are my favourite band but I can be objective enough to appreciate that there is other music that is better even if it's not my thing.

When I said that there's such a thing as an opinion being wrong, I wasn't attacking anyone's choice of song or any posters at all. I appreciate any intelligent and thought out input.
My favourite song could be one thing but I can still see that another song is better written musically. Perhaps my favourite song just has an emotional attachment for me.
I do like some music that I even know is musically pretty shitty, it just has a certain emotional response or it reminds me of something and that makes me like it. But I still know it sucks. Which means that I can subjectively like a song but objectively think it's bad.

Notice I didn't put forward my choice of song, so I'm not trying to push any of my own choices. I just want to open up a debate on the topic.

Old June 29th 2011, 09:33 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Fair enough, although hopefully you'll do so eventually. I'd enjoy knowing what that is.

I guess my point was to say -- and I get what you're driving at, as I've been a board veteran on Rush and Kiss boards specifically for a dozen or better years now, so I'm familiar with the question -- that these things get a little dicey and I don't mean "hurting people's feelings" either. It's a bit like doing molecular level surgery and separating almost intrinisic things...the why you love a song and what (structurally, chordally, melodically, LOGICALLY) makes a song strong on paper. Not being a musician doesn't help this either.

I will say that I'm pretty new to the Foos, so blast away at my sheepish nature if you will, but I find they do the "structural/technical" stuff pretty darn consistently. I'm a melody WHORE, so that I would take this long to really launch into this band is nothing short of stupid. But I truly think that even on their worst album (I'll call that disc 1 of In Your Honor), they do a lot of fundamental stuff spot on. What's missing on lesser songs is almost that intanglible thing that you get when you know you've heard a special Foo song.

What does all that mean? Really, probably nothing in this discussion because it's all about feelings and intangibles and all that stuff you're NOT looking for here.

Last edited by Presto-digitation : June 29th 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old June 30th 2011, 01:20 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto-digitation View Post
Aurora is an excellent choice too. I love that song. It almost has a quasi-spiritual center to it for me. It's very special in an atmospheric way.
I have to say I enjoyed the discussion between you two.

Off-topic: Aurora always gives me a feeling I've never been able to put into words... your summation is pretty perfect.
Old June 30th 2011, 03:45 PM
Visiting is pretty...

What the Foos do so well is a bit like what The Beatles did so well, although I'm hesitant to foist that burden on Dave's shoulders. Still, what both have in common is a great logical sense of structure and progression. That's not to necessarily say predictable, which suggests a level of ho-hum-ness that is a bit insulting to both bands, but really more of an indescribable sense of knowing what's coming because there isn't really an alternative. Take, for instance, the bridge to Dear Rosemary. It's perfect. There, I said it. It takes the song exactly where it needs to go....to the point that I can't imagine it doing anything differently for even a single note. That's the kind of thing The Beatles did so well. Their music is sometimes panned by those who don't like them as simplistic or "merely pop" (through the mid-years anyhow)...and yet it's incredibly difficult to craft a melody so perfect that you almost feel as if you know the song when you hear it for the first time; all while NOT being guilty of ripping someone else off the in the process. Completely new and original song, yet structured and arranged so logically and with such great attention to detail that it immediately makes sense to your ear and all those other little "buttons" that songs magically push.

Foo Fighters do this as well. Not many bands have this gift.
Old June 30th 2011, 04:01 PM
(Not) The Boss

"For example the song that has the best combination of great lyrics, melodies, instrument arrangements and playing, and just the general feeling."

Basing off this i would have to say that it is Have It All

Now i know that production wise, OBO is not up to par with the rest. Personally TINLTL has the best production and in my view is their best record. However i choose this song because it has such a great melody that is so easy to get into, it also has my single favourite line "In too deep, she's spilling over me"

That part in the song i have literally repeated 100 times over because it feels like i'm hitting sound waves or something.

I could also say the same for Another Round, lyrically it's great, the overall feel is the way they were going for which is mellow but with emotion, it isn't hollow at the least.

I dunno it's very hard to say.