Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old June 16th 2005, 07:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I just have a question if you have the Xbox video game system, since I don't have the album yet(so I can't check this out for myself)has anyone tried ripping "In Your Honor" to the Xbox, and if you have is there any problems with the Copy Protection like people are having with there PCs and iPods.

Also does anyone in Canada know if Future Shop or Best Buy is carrying the DualDisc version of "In Your Honor" since I can't seem to find it.
Old June 16th 2005, 07:50 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattw1944
I just have a question if you have the Xbox video game system, since I don't have the album yet(so I can't check this out for myself)has anyone tried ripping "In Your Honor" to the Xbox, and if you have is there any problems with the Copy Protection like people are having with there PCs and iPods.

Also does anyone in Canada know if Future Shop or Best Buy is carrying the DualDisc version of "In Your Honor" since I can't seem to find it.
The DRM is only applied to Windows PCs and Macs. The XBox can't launch the CD's Autorun DRM software, and therefore is safe from DRM.

If you want to rip it to your PC or Mac, all you have to do is disable autorun (hold down SHIFT for 20 seconds while and after you insert the CD). This will block the DRM from installing.
Old June 16th 2005, 10:12 PM
Have you found your way around

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by les42paul
I just figured out that the shift trick only works if you do it every time you put the cd in your computer. So, if you ever put your cd in the computer without doing the shift trick, it will never work again. so BE SURE TO DO THIS the first time you put the cd in your computer, and rip right away!!! i ripped everything fine and then was experimenting and got the cd skipping sound every time i tried the shift trick after putting in the cd without the shift trick and letting it acquire the licenses.

-adam
thats true. but if you made that mistake like i did, then go to system restore & restore your computer to a past date (i.e. the day before you first put in the cd) . then once you did that & your computer restarts, then put the cd back in and do the shift trick. it worked for me so i should work for you.

Where to find System Restore [for Windows XP]: Start Menu/Program Files/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore
Old June 16th 2005, 10:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Thanks Foos...

...for making an album so damn hard to play in anything other than a standard CD player. Like others here, I usually BUY THE ALBUM FIRST and then rip it into my computer so I can listen to it on my mp3 player. You got my $$, why make it such a pain in the ass for me to play it as I choose? If your next album has all this "copy protection" crap, forget it. I won't buy it. Did we somehow forget that people copied vinyl albums onto cassettes back in the day? It's not any different now that we can copy albums via computer. If you want my $$ in the future, you gotta start catering to me. "Copy protection"--hmm...how very capitalist. You guys really should read some Charles Keil and his ideas on the recording industry. I suggest, Mr. Grohl, that you read a book called "Music Grooves," which Keil wrote with Steven Feld.

Not to be entirely negative, the music on IYH, however, is really good...probably better than any of your previous albums.
Old June 16th 2005, 10:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlindsay
thats true. but if you made that mistake like i did, then go to system restore & restore your computer to a past date (i.e. the day before you first put in the cd) . then once you did that & your computer restarts, then put the cd back in and do the shift trick. it worked for me so i should work for you.

Where to find System Restore [for Windows XP]: Start Menu/Program Files/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore
That's not even neccesary.

Open the Start menu, click Run.

Type "cmd".

Type these two commands exactly, each followed by [ENTER]:

Quote:
net stop sbcphid
del %systemroot%\system32\drivers\sbcphid.sys
No more DRM. Now start using that SHIFT key or it'll reinstall .
Old June 16th 2005, 11:32 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Wow, I'm amazed that my original post has gotten this much response...

I was able to disable the driver and make a copy of the CD for my car as well as rip the MP3's, thanks everyone...

The thing that I find the most ridiculous about this is that the only thing the copy protection really protects against is the average person making a copy of the CD for their friends. Obviously the MP3's will circulate and the people they're most trying to target (CD piraters?) have and will find their way around it.

I mean, I understand the reasoning for all of this, but I think they're just targeting and punishing the wrong people. Some of the other things they've done have probably helped them out a lot more, such as flooding P2P networks with fake versions of songs, etc. I've found it much harder to download from WinMX these days compared to a year or so ago, and I'm probably more likely now to buy a song or two on iTunes if I can't find it elsewhere.

But the truth is that downloading "illegal" digital music is here to stay... with the popularity of P2P networks decreasing, more people are using torrents, etc... so the music industry needs to embrace this and work with it... I think people want to buy CD's if there's a reason to buy it.

The fact of the matter is... offering CD's for $9.99 and having them come with a bonus DVD, for example, is much more likely to lead people to buy a CD than the ultimate results of copy protection. Somebody has to make the music industry aware of this.
Old June 17th 2005, 01:08 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Wow, I don't feel like reading through 8 pages of this......and I apologize if this has been covered.

I've read how to disable the autoplay and the program.....however, I'm running into a problem when trying to rip the songs to put as mp3's on my computer. When I rip the discs, they show up as the same disc/songs. For instance, I ripped disc 1 first.....everything was cool. Then I ripped disc 2, and it "showed up" as disc 1, however the audio was disc 2's audio. So I renamed the disc two files as their correct names, and moved them to where all the rest of my mp3's are. When I just checked them, both "discs" (I have them as separate folders) are the same audio (disc 2) for some reason.

Can't figure out why. I'm going to try to re-rip disc 1 and see what happens.
Old June 17th 2005, 01:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Thumbs down What the hell

Ok, I can see protecting the cd from being burned But I just want to put it on my Ipod. don't tell me i have to take the cd and a player to work when i want to listen to the cd. ipods are legal. So whats the Fucking problem! Pretty soon These old school bastards are going to have to accept the fact that its the 21st century and times are a changin. changing into a time where Ripping a cd to an Ipod is as casual as making a phone call.
Old June 17th 2005, 02:54 AM
Visiting is pretty...

The thing that pisses me off the most was when I bought the CD, put it into my car CD player, and the fucking thing wouldn't play. I guess my headunit is too high tech for the fucking copy right protection bullshit.
Old June 17th 2005, 03:12 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Here's the problem, every single one of you wants to rip the music and burn copies of it for other uses...I just want to listen to the cd on my computer. PROBLEM: The files the cd does let you listen to are the MP3s streaming from the cd!!

Now what's my problem? I'm a young engineer who enjoys listening to every cd I buy with the FULL QUALITY of CD Audio. Not a cheap mp3 version of it. I want my 44100Hz 16 bit playback. Not a ripped version of it in Windows Media format. Now unfortunately I don't have a pro cd player that I can hook up to my mixing board and my studio monitors, thus I use my computer to play cd's, and it's never been a problem until now.

Instead, I simply opened up Cubase and imported them there. I would suggest finding a file sharing program and download a pro-audio recording program and rip the files from there...if you really want the mp3s, then you can convert them in one of those programs.

I hope there's atleast a few people in here that have the same problem with it that I do. MP3s are NOT good enough for me to listen to the album atleast the first time, and they shouldn't be for any of the rest of you. So here's my opinion, this copy protection idea is great, people shouldn't be copying cd's, but the cd manufacturer needs to let me listen to the full quality cd on my computer!
Old June 17th 2005, 04:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I had this CD in my hands on Tuesday morning, but seeing the copy protection warning label was all it took for it to go back on the shelf. I won't go into all my reasons - they have been beaten to death in other forums and in this thread. Suffice it to say that I have no intention of illegally distributing anyones music, and I will never illegally download anyone's music. I have bought every other album the Foo Fighters have ever put out, but I think I'll take my fifteen bucks and buy something from an independent artist or label who doesn't view their customers as criminals.

Sony/BMG may or may not have the right to impose these restrictions, I don't know. But in either case they can count one lost sale due to this copy protection.
Old June 17th 2005, 04:32 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabes
The thing that pisses me off the most was when I bought the CD, put it into my car CD player, and the fucking thing wouldn't play. I guess my headunit is too high tech for the fucking copy right protection bullshit.
The copy protection relies on the disc being put into a Mac or PC compatible with the Autorun code. Unless your car CD player is a full-fledged Windows PC or Mac (unlikely), it's not the copy protection's fault.

Maybe you should shift while you put it in. (haha i'm so funny)
Old June 17th 2005, 06:24 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default beating the dead issue

Your CD wasted hours of my life and advised me as an IPOD user to complain to Apple. That is ridiculous

This has really burned me out. I think I might be done with the Foo.

You were great at JAMPAC near Seattle with the original line up and you were great at the Gorge in WA a few years ago.

Thank you for each of your previous CDs. They all sound great on my IPOD and your music has always had a way of growing on me.

Sorry to all the FF forum groupies. Don't worry this is my first and last post.
Old June 17th 2005, 08:48 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Foo Complainers

As if Dave and the boys said hey let's make our cd unburnable or unrippable for our fans!!!!!!!! If your considering not listening to the Foo cause of this little issue then you were never a fan! Foo's rock!

Gman

Dave for Prez!
Old June 17th 2005, 03:19 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertPaul
As if Dave and the boys said hey let's make our cd unburnable or unrippable for our fans!!!!!!!! If your considering not listening to the Foo cause of this little issue then you were never a fan! Foo's rock!
Gman
Dave for Prez!
He is right if this is what makes you stop listening to them, i think that is pretty sad. I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but if you put the cd into your computer you can of course play the music on your computer, but the cds menu options have a copy option which will let you copy the songs to certain files like Windows Media and i think mp3. So i dont see why you guys havent been able to copy or burn it.
Old June 17th 2005, 07:33 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Bs

This is BS. I buy the CD, and I can't even listen to it. I cannot get it on my minidisc player. Christ, next time, I guess I'll just download the album for free. Illegal? Yes. But it's a lot easier than going throught this. Wow, this is a nice thank you for buying the CD. "Spend $17 and go screw yourself." Thanks. Thanks a lot.
Old June 17th 2005, 08:02 PM
I'll Stick Around

"Under the DMCA it is a felony to (1) circumvent a technical measure such as an encryption lock that copyright owners use to control access to their works or prevent copying of their works, (2) make or distribute a tool that circumvents access controls, or (3) make or distribute a tool that bypasses other technical measures used by copyright owners to protect rights in copyrighted works. 17 USC 1201, 1204."

So, basically, by "working around" the copy protection, you're committing a felony. And I'm not joking around or exaggerating to make a point.

Not a simple offense, not a misdemeanor, a felony. Just for bypassing the copy protection to rip your Foo CD and put it on an iPod.

Will it be enforced? I doubt it. But can it be ruled out?

(BTW, this applies to the US only. I'm not sure of the specific laws in other countries.)
Old June 17th 2005, 08:50 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Wtf?

Apparently the mods decided to delete my post about how to stop this Sunncomm crap. Please PM me if you want to know how. Or maybe they'll delete this post too?
Old June 17th 2005, 09:54 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default another lost sale

Hey guys.
Just in case anybody is watching I'd like to mention that today I went to buy the new FF album. I got all the way to the cash before I noticed the copy protection logo. Didn't buy it because as a Mac/iTunes/iPod user I am unable to use the cd as I would normally. I will not send a complaint to Apple about this.

The irony is I still want to hear the album so I'll be ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING it. Way to go greedy bottom line loving corporate machine.
Old June 17th 2005, 09:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterdonkey
Hey guys.
Just in case anybody is watching I'd like to mention that today I went to buy the new FF album. I got all the way to the cash before I noticed the copy protection logo. Didn't buy it because as a Mac/iTunes/iPod user I am unable to use the cd as I would normally. I will not send a complaint to Apple about this.

The irony is I still want to hear the album so I'll be ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADING it. Way to go greedy bottom line loving corporate machine.
Hey monsterdonkey,

We want Foos at number one so get out yr cash and buy it anyway !!!