Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 19th 2011, 07:31 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Boston - Last Na Tour Date = Boooooo

Truth be told, if I were Dave, I would be in love with myself too.

He's got a whole lot of greatness rolled into one package.
Old November 19th 2011, 07:51 PM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJules View Post
I actually came in here to post about my life changing experience seeing the Foos for the first time..but saw this first.)
What's your story? Would love to hear it! Please do share!
Old November 19th 2011, 09:04 PM
The Boss

There's another thread about it too, but i think we're talking about my mom now
Old November 19th 2011, 09:48 PM
Yo.

Wow, your mom is popular!
Old November 20th 2011, 03:13 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbono View Post
Saw the Foo Fighters last night in Boston. Have to say it was quite a disappointment, and that's saying a lot considering they are one of my favorite bands.

Dave has fallen so much more in love with himself, it is difficult to watch. The self-indulgent "breaks" in almost every song have grown longer by minutes instead of seconds. The "meaningful silent pauses" are long and boring and unnecessary. The Foo Fighters it seems are no longer fighting any foo, they are doling it out in heaps!!

Dave said early on they would play 3 hours. They started at 9:05 and finished 15 minutes before mignight. BUT...if you removed all the self-indulgent jamming in the middle of intended 4 minute songs, and the pregnant pauses, it may have equalled a full hour and a half.

It was the LAST show of the amercian tour. I have seen a lot of these and bands typically break out something special. Dave and da boyz actually cut the set by one song, and included no surprises.

For my cash - 65 bucks in the nosebleeds that Dave even referred to as the shitty seats, it was nowhere even near worth it. I'm saving my cash on the next tour to see someone like Joan Jett!!
Ok, so this is my first post and it is specifically to discuss this in a reasonable manner. I was at this show and it was my first and only of the tour so far. I've seen them 4 other times before but they just didn't come to Boston until the end of the US leg and I decided not to travel, which was stupid, but I digress.

So, I knew the setlist going into the show and I had friends that saw the show in NJ and DC. Glowing reviews and the setlists looked great. I'll start off by saying that since I knew the setlist that was not completely right of me. You can't expect them to cater to a guy who's watching every setlist on the tour.

However, I too thought they would do something special for this last night. Wasn't why I picked the show, but I had it in my mind. It grew even larger when Dave kept mentioning it. I thought if he didn't say anything, I wouldn't expect anything. But he mentioned it at least 4 times and I got excited for something to happen.

Now, I absolutely loved the show. Easily the best I've seen and these guys have climbed the ranks to be one of the best live bands out there these days. Personally, I loved how they played most of the songs differently and I thought they added a lot to them. I do agree that some were excessive, I can't recall which ones, but some were a bit tedious. I don't think the breaks were "too" long. I think thats all part of the "show", and Dave talks about the "show" in their documentary so I'm sure he's aware of it, but I'll contend maybe there were too many. It didn't detract for me but I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice it.

My opinion is Dave is not in love with himself, even though he definitely should be. I was with a girl who was creaming her pants because she was finally seeing him in the flesh (her first show), and as a guy I absolutely love him. Not in a "I wanna marry him way" but he's just so cool and I was smiling ear to ear the entire show while he screamed and talked to the crowd. He has great humor, he's an AMAZING frontman, and he's so nice and encouraging. When he told the kid in the crowd (I don't know if this is something he does everywhere) to just pick up a guitar and do this for himself, it just shows how much of an inspiration he is IMO.

When he did the bidding for hours bit at the beginning with "2:15... 2:30", I thought that was hilarious, but I'll contend that he did also up the ante for the show to be 3 hours. Since I had friends that saw them, I knew it was 2:45, but I'll agree that with all the breaks the show is at least 2:30, maybe less. The video before the encore I thought was hilarious, but when you get down to it it was about 4 minutes, which as we all know could be another song. The video would be cool maybe if they played it RIGHT when they left the stage, but you wait about 2 minutes, then the 4 minute video, and thats 6 minutes you kill right there. I hate to get mathematical with it that way but it is true.

You also have to say though they certainly don't have to play 2 and a half hours. They could play 2 and still be amazing but with their material and the announcement of 3 hours, I agree it leaves something to be hoped for and attained.

I certainly got my money's worth. The show was easily the best I've seen all year, and maybe in the top 5 out of the hundreds I've seen, but there were criticisms like these, and I believe they're valid. When I saw I Should Have Known played in NJ, I got really hopeful. It was disappointing that it wasn't in Boston, and even odder to me that it just got that one shot outing towards the end of the tour. I know it was played earlier in the tour, but it just seemed like it appeared after two months then left for no reason.

So there's my rambling. I loved the show, but there was stuff I'd change. I was really waiting for that extra song or difference in the setlist (which is really the only thing that sets them apart from bands like Pearl Jam at this point) but I also saw that the songs were very much in tune with the video screens or lighting so I accept it.
Old November 20th 2011, 03:20 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFoo View Post
I have totally lost my voice and may have some partial hearing loss. lol
yeah, haha, losing your hearing is so funny.

read this and wise up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-his-ears.html
Old November 20th 2011, 03:21 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Foo View Post
Taylor sang great where I saw them, too. Some crowds love to use the songs they don't know for a beer break (Charlotte), though. Atlanta was a much better audience..way louder, but I still don't think many people around us knew Cold Day. Oh well... It was the same with Wheels. I have to do general admission next time. I get too pissed off when the people around me aren't as into it as me.
I AGREE with you too...out of both of those shows...ATLANTA kicked some major ass! Especially with WHEELS! I was on the floor for both of them and it was absolutely INSANE! Would definately love to experience that again...SOON!

www.facebook.com/spankmoo
5/18/2011 Little Rock, AR
11/7/2011 Atlanta, GA
11/8/2011 Charlotte, NC
5/6/2012 New Orleans, LA
Old November 20th 2011, 03:42 AM
The Boss

Im pretty sure he mentioned the last show thing because he was psyched to go home and see his kids.
Old November 20th 2011, 04:01 AM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Smile Re: Boston - Last Na Tour Date = Boooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
What i wouldn't give to see them do an extended jam on a song again....
^THIS^

No attitude, pure raw energy, extra jams, more than generous encores, fun and humor, great audiences out to just enjoy great show for most part.... and surprise performers-Bob Mould, Joan Jett!!...Got MY money's worth, ten fold! LOVE them, thanks FF<3<3, you guys worked your asses off and I can only wish you safe travels , happy holidays!
Old November 20th 2011, 06:32 AM
Have you found your way around

I flew in from San Diego for this show and loved every self-loving, long jamming minute of it. Worth every fucking penny.
Old November 20th 2011, 01:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I am one of those poor slobs who had to wait 16 years to see Dave and the band. Scraped by to afford to get the tickets to the Boston show. I drove down that day from Bangor, Maine. Was I disappointed? HELL NO!! It was worth every penny. These are a bunch of guys who are doing what they love to do and it shows. Of all the concerts I have seen(and i'm old enough to have seen a few) this was one of if not the best. Most bands come out and play and toss a few scripted words at the fans. Dave interacts. There was so much give and take. And if I wanted to hear the songs exactly how they are on the cd, I'd listen to the cd! It is excellent to hear what they do to reinterpret things differently. And if taking extended pauses meant that Dave could belt out the songs without losing his voice, I say good for him. What he does is not easy and man-o-man, he sure does it well. I wish I could personally thank Foo Fighters for the joy their music has brought over the years. And I am really hoping I don't have to wait another 16 years to see them live.
Old November 20th 2011, 07:51 PM
All out of bubblegum

I was also at this show and I have to say I share the same sentiment of the other people who were a little disappointed.
Yes, it was a great rock n' roll show. I also knew what the setlist would be like. But it also made me sad because they really just aren't the same band that I fell in love with 16 years ago. I'm not saying this to slag them off, but I don't look at them as an alternative rock band anymore, as they're more akin to being the Led Zeppelin of the 2000's.
It's been 12 years since the last album that I really loved, and the setlist mostly catered toward newer material (which is obviously expected). I missed seeing them when they were (in my opinion) at their peak.
But I was hoping the way they were hyping the show up that they'd pull out some old favorites. I really could have done without the extended guitar solos and breakdowns.
I know the crowd loved it, but the bootlegs I loved listening to didn't have stuff like that. The crowd was much more receptive to the newer hits than the older classics. They're a different band, and that's not an insult. I am grateful I got the chance to see them after so many missed opportunities.
Old November 21st 2011, 03:33 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotaboutsteve View Post
yeah, haha, losing your hearing is so funny.

read this and wise up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-his-ears.html

OooOooh brother.
I read about that in another thread 3 days ago.

Get off your horse.
Old November 21st 2011, 08:19 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I love the jams. If you're gonna complain, do it somewhere else. IMO, $65 for almost three hours of fuckin awesome music is an excellent deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbono View Post
but I could almost feel Chris, Nate, and Pat's boredom, and fans around me were like...."C'MON...PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must have been at a different show. at the St. Paul show, I was front row right in front of Chris and he looked like he was having a fucking great time. Same with Pat.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show

Last edited by FooFighter0234 : November 21st 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old November 21st 2011, 09:55 AM
I'll Stick Around

Too bad to hear you were disappointed ElScottcho. Sometimes you and a band just grow apart over time. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScottcho View Post
Led Zeppelin of the 2000's.
Is that meant to be a bad thing?
Old November 22nd 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
I thought they sounded pretty good frim the rail in Charlotte & DC.
Ditto in Atlanta.
01/25/08 Memphis • 01/26/08 Nashville, TN • 02/29/08 Fayetteville, AR • 07/19/08 Kansas City, MO • 07/20/08 St. Louis • 09/25 & 26/2008 Vegas • 09/24/09 Sunny Day Real Estate | Chicago • 10/05/09 Them Crooked Vultures | Nashville • 10/06/09 SDRE | Houston • 05/17/10 TCV | Indianapolis • 09/16/11 Kansas City • 09/17/11 St. Louis • 11/07/11 Atlanta • 11/08/11 Charlotte • 09/22/12 DeLuna Fest
Old November 22nd 2011, 12:51 AM
Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Ditto in Atlanta.
(Hi Jodie!)
Old November 22nd 2011, 12:54 AM

‘Hola!
01/25/08 Memphis • 01/26/08 Nashville, TN • 02/29/08 Fayetteville, AR • 07/19/08 Kansas City, MO • 07/20/08 St. Louis • 09/25 & 26/2008 Vegas • 09/24/09 Sunny Day Real Estate | Chicago • 10/05/09 Them Crooked Vultures | Nashville • 10/06/09 SDRE | Houston • 05/17/10 TCV | Indianapolis • 09/16/11 Kansas City • 09/17/11 St. Louis • 11/07/11 Atlanta • 11/08/11 Charlotte • 09/22/12 DeLuna Fest
Old November 22nd 2011, 02:15 AM
All out of bubblegum

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline no View Post
Too bad to hear you were disappointed ElScottcho. Sometimes you and a band just grow apart over time. It happens.

Is that meant to be a bad thing?
No, like I said, my post wasn't to slag the band off. They're more of a big stadium rock band now than the modestly successful alternative rock band they started out as.
I love Led Zeppelin.
Old November 22nd 2011, 09:53 AM
I'll Stick Around

Aaah. Just makin' sure .