Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 20th 2011, 05:13 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Best Foo Memory

Was it one of their funny video performances,

perhaps a particular thrillin' moment or comment at an epic show,

maybe something more sacred and private- in an intimate setting with headphones?

What is your Best Memory related to the Foo Fighters?

I think for me it was in my home, listenin' to In Your Honor on a little Sony portable CD player at 5:30 in the a'm. with acoustic guitar in hand, to the last few tunes on Disc 1 of In Your Honor-

for about 20 minutes I was in a trance from the end of Free Me to the sheer beauty of Resolve and the Deepest Blues Are Black, culminatin' in an unforgettable pause and finale of End Over End til the noisy fade- the encroachin' mesmerizin' absolute repetitive dronin' and meldin' of Dave's 'I'm Circlin' meets Guitar meets Feedback an orgasmic coda as the morning sun began to come up to a new day!

How bout you?

cheers
:>
Old September 20th 2011, 05:36 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Best Foo Memory

With In Your Honor being my first Foo album (I know, I know), I can totally relate to the craziness of End Over End... I totally dig music that sounds like it's on the verge of falling apart and as Dave sings 'I'm circling', it just gets more and more hectic and it finally does fall apart and it just blew my mind.

Also, the first time I heard the outro to This Is A Call with the guitars and stuff, that was pretty amazing... Also, the first time I ever heard I Should Have Known.

There's a ton more but I won't bore you all with them.
Old September 20th 2011, 06:16 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

The 9/14/11 show is my best Foo memory. Having Chris smile at me, point at me, hold my hand at the end of the encore, and hand me two of his picks still makes me feel all floaty inside. That and having one of the security guys hand me one of Dave's picks after I told him I was a hardcore Foo fan made me the happiest I've ever been. He kept feeding me and my new friends Starbursts, which was kinda adorkable. Coupled with some excellent concert pictures (linked in mah sig), and being able to rock out with my dad, who's just as hardcore a fan as I am, the night was amazing.

I met new friends from the postboard (y'all know who you are <3 ), and sang myself hoarse.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old September 20th 2011, 07:44 AM
Visiting is pretty...

When a guy tolled me 'Every time I hear Everlong, I think of you'.

When we got back to the car after being at Pukkelpop and the CD-player started and 'Home' began playing.

And last august when a friend of mine somehow arranged for me to go to the Cologne show although it was solled out. At the show during These Days and Walk. My friend and I started shouting 'I NEVER WANNA DIE' from the top of our lungs since 5 days earlier we almost didn't make it out in one piece during the Pukkelpop show. That line really captured our feelings.
Old September 20th 2011, 07:59 AM

Dingwalls 2.0
I'd started a new job a couple of weeks before and hated it so much i wentvto work on the friday and only made it half way before breaking down and going home. Went to wembley arena that night which helped lift my mood somewhat

When i got ttickets for dingwalls the next day i freaked out i was so happy
The show was amazing and sweaty and made me realise that work isnt worth making yourself ill over and that there are more important things in life

Foo fighters save the day once again
O2 Arena 17.11.07
Wembley Stadium 06.06.08
Wembley Stadium 07.06.08
Wembley Arena 25.02.11
Dingwalls 26.02.11
Milton Keynes 02.07.11
Milton Keynes 03.07.11
Reading Festival 26.08.12
Islington Assembly Hall 12.09.14
Queen Elizabeth Park 14.09.14

Some Videos

The Holy Shits Islington pics
Some Pictures
Old September 20th 2011, 08:45 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dq88 View Post
When i got ttickets for dingwalls the next day i freaked out i was so happy The show was amazing and sweaty and made me realise that work isnt worth making yourself ill over and that there are more important things in life

Foo fighters save the day once again
Right on! Work isn't all that matters in life!
Old September 20th 2011, 11:25 AM
How's that for a slice of fried gold?!

Dingwalls.

The first one, obviously.
Old September 20th 2011, 11:46 AM
Ready on your mark

In the late 90's I won a competition run by a music channel to have an entire hour of programming to myself. I threw the Learn To Fly video into the mix. When it went to air, the music channel put my full name and suburb onto the screen. For the rest of the night until first sparrow's fart, I was on the phone with people who'd looked up my name in the Yellow Pages just to talk about the video and the band. My favourite was an old duck who rang at about 1am to say she'd loved it and hadn't laughed so much in years.
Old September 20th 2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
NGH SO JEALOUS.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

Last edited by FooFighter0234 : September 21st 2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old September 20th 2011, 07:41 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
stu likes this.

stu.

Officially the first of the 86,000 into Wembley Stadium - Saturday 7th June 2008

Member of FFPB 5-a-side Championship title winning side - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008

Winner of FFPB Penalty shoot-out - Hyde Park - 8th June 2008
Old September 20th 2011, 08:18 PM
I'll Stick Around

Dave walking in front of me, as I stood down in the front row at Milton Keynes. Also, the continuous: 'Ooooooooh, Oh Oh's' walking out of The Bowl. Worth all the sunburn and loss of voice.
26.08.12 - Reading Festival
19.02.13 - The Forum - London (SCP)

"I Already Played This Song!"- Pat Smear
Old September 20th 2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donething4foo View Post
Dave walking in front of me, as I stood down in the front row at Milton Keynes. Also, the continuous: 'Ooooooooh, Oh Oh's' walking out of The Bowl. Worth all the sunburn and loss of voice.
Awww!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

Old September 20th 2011, 09:02 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donething4foo View Post
The best of you "oooooh ooooh's" did make me lol!
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old September 20th 2011, 09:07 PM
A star burned out

this is the opposite of a good memory, let alone the best, but I didn't want to start a new thread about it and this one is the closest one to the subject.

it's just something I've been noticing lately, after following pretty everything about the band for the last 10+ years. it's the hate the band got that grew alongside their success and it's kinda funny actually because while they had their small to medium size, people loved them or just didn't care enough to bother a hateful comment, but now that they have their firsts #1s all around the world, shocking videos becoming memes and Best of You, that changed and I've seen quite a lot of very bad comments towards them. I mean, their big boys, millionaires, filling stadiums and they couldn't care less about that, so I don't either, it's just that I couldn't help noticing how people only hates what goes really well. is it of the human nature to be naturally jealous? they hate towards the band doesn't bother me, but it does bother the fact of that feeling coming up only on this kind of situation. when they're smaller, the majority of "harmful" comments doesn't go beyond "meh", and when they explode it becomes "I just can't stand this horrible band". I mean, fuck you, you know? I've seen bands grow, bands that I didn't care at the beginning, their huge now and I still don't care about them, I don't magically hate something from the moment it goes really well. people should be honest and just say "I hate successful people because I'm a loser", that would a lot more dignified than hidden jealousy.

it's just something I had on my mind and didn't want to keep for myself, feel free to ignore it.

----

ok, and to avoid the party pooping depressed rant above, I should contribute to the thread also, with something relating to its title. so yeah, my best Foo memory has to be the one time I've seen them live. the sound was horrible at the stage but I couldn't care less because there were my idols playing the songs I love the most. also, it felt even more special when it was their biggest show then and they were clearly a bit intimidated by that and it was fought positevely by giving a great show. it was back in 2001 at the end of the TINLTL tour and I still remember the crew setting their gear before the show, when the drums with the word "FOO" on the kick drum, the crowd went nuts and it wasn't even a whole hour until the show starts, it was unbelievable from the set up moments (BB checking Dave's explorer was great to see) from the very end with Dave's usual "see you next time". there wasn't a next time until now, but it didn't spoil this great memory I have.

EDIT - I used a lot of wrong "theirs" and "they'res", please ignore that. =P
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •

Last edited by Felipe. : September 20th 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old September 20th 2011, 10:48 PM

their show at the troubadour this spring.

last fall i was told i needed to be listed for lung transplant. during this past spring, after all the approvals from the insurance company were in place, was when all the testing finally began and the show was right around then. it was the right band at the right time. for those 3 or so hours i didn't have a lung disease or any other care in the world. best medicine right there.

i was listed for transplant last week. what a mindfuck.

another that may just top that one was running into grohl backstage at coachella when tcv played(nice being friends with the guy who runs the whole event, eh?). he was walking back from watching a show at the outdoor stage(she and him, if memory serves), heading back to the tcv compound behind the main stage. he had walked in earlier with his family, daughter on his shoulders, which is a time that approaching anyone like that is off limits, imo. having wanted to meet him for years i was hoping i would get another shot. and i did. it was so sparse back there that i had him all to myself for a few minutes before he had to go and change for their set, just chatting about this and that, family(we both have kids the same age), and whatnot. got a picture with him that sits right in the middle of my music wall...right next to the one i got with josh homme that day. yeah, it was pretty epic. jpj was hanging out, too, but was with his wife, so didn't want to infringe on their time together. did wave "hi", though. what a day! almost got the trifecta.

loved watching the doc where they mentioned coachella basically saved the band. thanked my friend for booking them that year after seeing that. you all should, too, haha.

Last edited by forgotaboutsteve : September 20th 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old September 20th 2011, 10:50 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
The best of you "oooooh ooooh's" did make me lol!
Me too! Especially when Dave laughed: 'Shut the Fuck Up!'
26.08.12 - Reading Festival
19.02.13 - The Forum - London (SCP)

"I Already Played This Song!"- Pat Smear
Old September 21st 2011, 01:32 AM
Have you found your way around

club show in cologne in 2002.

meeting fellow nerds at the MK shows. I love people who get it, as I rarely meet anyone really interested in music.

edited to add: I really, really hate the oooohhhs.

Last edited by Kathi : September 21st 2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old September 21st 2011, 01:40 AM
I'll Stick Around

I haven't done anything fun like go to a concert or anything, but my favorite memory was finally getting an audio recording of the Roxy concert, and listening to that whole album multiple times late at night and loving every second.

...so far...
Old September 21st 2011, 02:47 AM
Grave Rohl

I'm going to go with this one.

maybe even this one. and this. (And on a side note)
Old September 21st 2011, 02:55 AM

Who's the third guy?

And you look a bit nervous/derpish in the pic with Dave. and awww, NATE <3

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

Last edited by FooFighter0234 : September 21st 2011 at 04:07 AM.