Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 27th 2014, 05:26 PM
I love it but I hate the taste

Exclamation Open Letter to the Band! Please Read!

First let me say I love you guys and can't wait to see you when you come to Chicago! I was one of the lucky fans that actually got GA Tickets for me, my hubby and two teenagers!

This message is for all the folks that didn't get tickets and upon not getting tickets now have to go to scandalous scalpers who did buy tickets that aren't fans and that are trying to capitalize on their luck or whatever means in which they were able to get tickets.

Please consider creating a means in which your fans can acquire tickets. Metallica, Pearl Jam and even Prince have managed to create a Fan Club Ticket process that works and works well. I know it would involve outsourcing the initial setup but your fans will love you for it.

I am 45 years old and remember sitting outside the Sears Ticketmaster Box Office in Chicago the night tickets went on sale for my favorite bands. It was actually part of the sense of community as we would make friends with those other crazy people willing to sit outside overnight for tickets to our favorite bands. We would then meet up before the concert since the common thread we shared was being in the audience to enjoy the music that touched our souls no matter who we were or where we came from.

I recently went to a Pearl Jam concert in Milwaukee, WI and because I was able to get GA Tix for me and my 13 year old son, I was able to show him what a fan community was like. There will come a time when he will not want his mother to go to concerts with him but since we enjoy the same music, I am lucky enough to share this with him. It is because we are fans and we love music.

At least to me, making music seems to be the way to connect to others by opening up a window into your soul and thoughts. Enjoying music means there is some part of me that understands or relates to those thoughts and that is a powerful thing. Being a fan means your particular music transcends all the other daily bullshit and makes us feel unique and yet part of something bigger than ourselves.

Please contact the management of Pearl Jam and/or Metallica and see if their process would work for you.

I ask this as a fan on behalf of all fans, if I may be so bold to speak for them.

Thanks and I hope this gets through to the band!

Monica Sargeant

Last edited by deliasdelight : October 27th 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Change Post Icon.
Old October 27th 2014, 06:06 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Open Letter to the Band! Please Read!

I agree. I was not one of the lucky ones who scored tickets and immediately after the sell out, The wonderful 75 dollar tickets for Wrigley were on StubHub for over 600 dollars. I wonder if the band makes money on after market sales.
Old October 27th 2014, 06:26 PM
Times Like These

I agree. I would pay money to join the fan club just so that we can get tickets
Old October 27th 2014, 06:55 PM
Something from Nothing

Lightbulb Re: Open Letter to the Band! Please Read!

Thank you for writing this. I have also read that the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a great method for selling their tickets that helps prevent the scalpers from gouging their fans.

Up until now, I have been nothing but impressed with Dave and the rest of the Foo Fighters. Watching the HBO show Sonic Highways gives the distinct impression that Dave, at least, really gets what it is like to be the little guy, what it is like for a true fan to get in to see their favorite band perform live. What it means to fight against the system in the name of integrity.

Now is the time for Dave, et al. to show their loyal fan base that they truly care about more than just taking their money. Seeing a band perform live should be about the true fans, not about big business making a ton of money at the fans expense.

Dear Dave, if you still remember what it was like when you were able to see those bands that influenced you when you probably didn't have a lot of disposable income, now is the perfect time to pay that spirit forward and show your fans that they truly matter to you.

I also hope this post isn't censored/removed from this board like my last one was! With all due respect, I sincerely hopes that the Foo Fighters haven't become too big for the fans that can't afford to pay the outrageous prices being charged by ticket brokers like Stub Hub.

Dave: you claim that Rock is not dead, but is the day when a fan can actually buy tickets to your show at the original price dead? I certainly hope not. That would be sad as it would surely prevent the next generation of fans from seeing your shows and being inspired, in the same way that you once were, to go out there and make some kick ass music!

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely one of your most diehard fans,

Gene M. Rukavina
Old October 27th 2014, 06:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Eek! Re: Open Letter to the Band! Please Read!

I go to a lot of concerts and I will NEVER buy tickets from anywhere other than the band, the first point of sale, or off of a fan in the parking lot. NO scalpers, NO aftermarket websites, or anywhere else.

I still buy CD's to support the bands I see, whether they are small or big bands.

It is absolutely terrible to see the way ticking has gone over the last several years. Bands say they make their money touring and not on album sales, well there are a few reasons for this, one of them being....They can charge whatever they want and still sell out a venue, regardless of who buys the ticket and shows up at the show.

Cd sales are bad too. Totally different subject, so I won't go into that.

ALL of this could be solved if the bands who truly want theirs FANS to see them play do something about it. Start selling your merch and tickets ONLY through your fan clubs! A fan must show ID at the show with their ticket in order to get in. Problem solved! I am a Pearl Jam fan, and they do this and it works very well.

Sell them all this way! Pearl Jam made and album called Yield because of the ticketing process. If more bands would agree to do this, then more TRUE fans will get to see shows and spend their money.

I genuinely think fans would pay fan club dues for minimal return, and enjoy the benefits of being able to get a ticket to see their favorite band!!!!
Old October 27th 2014, 08:03 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I am also one of those unlucky fans in both the presale and general sale. I also go to a lot of shows and am quite familiar with the different ways bands allocate tickets to their fans. With the baseball venues the band has no choice with the ticketing system that they use for general sales (all baseball venues use the same system, tickets.com). In presales though they could sell their own tix thru a online store or another ticketing agency. They also could have a fan club membership with a annual dues as most bands do. Typically they give fans a presale code that is unique to that fan member (U2 does this). This definitely deters most if not a good percentage of brokers. We fans would most certainly pay just about any fee the band asked of us because we know how worth it would be. Even if we didn't pay a membership fee and were given a unique presale code that would help. But again in this situation with the baseball parks we are at the mercy of the venue.

I think if the band did a survey and asked the fans how we would feel about a membership fee for a fan club with the perks of presales and other stuff they would get a majority if not all saying yes to it.

I get that dave and the guys probably feel that they don't want to make fans pay anymore then they should and that is great that they think that but with the demand in tix now it would be better to change up their system.
Old October 27th 2014, 08:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud View Post
I am also one of those unlucky fans in both the presale and general sale. I also go to a lot of shows and am quite familiar with the different ways bands allocate tickets to their fans. With the baseball venues the band has no choice with the ticketing system that they use for general sales (all baseball venues use the same system, tickets.com). In presales though they could sell their own tix thru a online store or another ticketing agency. They also could have a fan club membership with a annual dues as most bands do. Typically they give fans a presale code that is unique to that fan member (U2 does this). This definitely deters most if not a good percentage of brokers. We fans would most certainly pay just about any fee the band asked of us because we know how worth it would be. Even if we didn't pay a membership fee and were given a unique presale code that would help. But again in this situation with the baseball parks we are at the mercy of the venue.

I think if the band did a survey and asked the fans how we would feel about a membership fee for a fan club with the perks of presales and other stuff they would get a majority if not all saying yes to it.

I get that dave and the guys probably feel that they don't want to make fans pay anymore then they should and that is great that they think that but with the demand in tix now it would be better to change up their system.
Now I don't want to get flamed for being in the DMB Warehouse fanclub, but they also have a special fan club ticketing lottery system for every tour. I have been shut out for tickets one in a while, but I generally at least have gotten tickets for a show i have wanted to see. These tickets are separate and the lottery results are posted about a week before the tickets go on sale to the public, so I still have a chance to get tickets when they go on sale to the public if I don't get them in the lottery. Now there is a yearly fee associated, but they give you some freebies once a year for the cost as well...CD's, poster, key chains, pens...etc..
Old October 27th 2014, 08:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Now I don't want to get flamed for being in the DMB Warehouse fanclub, but they also have a special fan club ticketing lottery system for every tour. I have been shut out for tickets one in a while, but I generally at least have gotten tickets for a show i have wanted to see. These tickets are separate and the lottery results are posted about a week before the tickets go on sale to the public, so I still have a chance to get tickets when they go on sale to the public if I don't get them in the lottery. Now there is a yearly fee associated, but they give you some freebies once a year for the cost as well...CD's, poster, key chains, pens...etc..
No flaming here.. I agree with ya. All the band needs to do is change up their system for tickets.

Like I said the baseball parks are a unique situation here because of the ticketing system they used as opposed to venues that pretty much use ticketmaster.
Old October 27th 2014, 10:25 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Couldn't agree more. I remember I back in 1994 I got Rush tickets for Dane county Col in Madison Wisconsin and called on the phone to get them. Somehow I was the first caller and got front row, OVER THE PHONE! To this day I still have the ticket stub and it is one of my most prized possessions. If the current system with scalpers and pre-pre sale tickets going to brokers I will never see a preferred section again. If I had to pay an inflated price I would much rather pay it to the band directly than to the scum bag scalpers who are only out to make a buck and not there for the real reason, the music!
Old October 27th 2014, 11:45 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I was lucky enough to score 4 tickets In P1 bowl on Fridays Pre-sale. This is my first time seeing them. As of now, 10 months in advance, all tickets are spoken for. Plans change, I might have 1 or two available. if that is the case, I'll only sell them at the show for the cost I paid for them.

I have avoided seeing concerts at Wrigley Field, for the simple reason the Cubs are partners with StubHub. I have heard (don't know how true it is) years ago that the cubs buy all the tickets they want to a show and sell them on the secondary market. Because of that, some bands have opted not to play there.

I'm also not sure if bands also have to sign an agreement saying they won't resale their performance, or offer a live stream. My guess is they do, PJ offers downloads of all their shows, but not Wrigley.

If is not the case I would like to see FF offer alternatives to thwart scalpers in one of three ways

1) Offer a free stream of the show
2) Offer a download of the show.
3) Offer either a CD or DVD of the show only available at local record stores.
Old October 28th 2014, 03:43 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I hear what everyone is saying on here but I'll play Devils advocate. A few points:

1. Cubs season ticket holders got first crack at the tickets. I'm sure a large chunk took advantage of the presale before the foo presale. Many of them definitely put the tix on stubhub to make up for all the losses they take on meaningless Cubs games in August and September. I'm a Yankee season ticket holder and took advantage of the presales the Yankees offered for the big four, eminem and jay z and pink Floyd and Madonna for my wife. I also took advantage of the presale for soccer, the winter classic and other events for friends. A huge chunk of tickets got sold before the Friday presale.

2. The foo fan club presale was very limited from an inventory standpoint.

3. Brokers "short sell" tickets on stubhub. That means they'll list a ticket in say the last row of section 10. They'll monitor a listing for a similar ticket listing on a similar section on a different resale website. If somebody buys their listing, they buy the tickets off the website they are monitoring. They make profit without carrying any inventory. It's big business. So before you assume all those listing are just people are turning around and flipping the tickets, keep in mind that the majority of those ticket listings are from brokers who don't even have tickets in hand. And it doesn't come without risks. Here's an interesting link about how it works:

http://ticketsellerstoolkit.com/tick...-for-disaster/

Regardless, there is no way the band can combat this method of resale.

4. Cubs own a big ticket brokerage business in Chicago. It's well known. Look it up.

5. It's easy to say to the FF to just go and form a fan club and sell tickets through that avenue. I think it's admirable that PJ and DMB do that. Maybe they do care more about their fans than Dave and company. I don't know. But I know that live nation controls every big venue and the touring industry as a whole and this is pure speculation, but maybe the FF relevance and promotional machine, because let's face it, the last two albums including sonic highways have been heavily promoted (which I love btw because I'll watch every single thing the band does) has a lot to do with them playing ball with the big promoters. The difference is PJ and DMB in particular haven't had a great album in a long long time, and I personally rank wasting light as the bands best album. And that's a big accomplishment when you compare it to tcats.

Let's face it. Rock and roll music is not that popular and relevant anymore. FF, as Anderson Cooper said last night are the last great american rock band and live nation is probably paying the band more money than any other rock band in the world right now.

I'm pissed that I didn't get to pay face for wrigley and I'll probably end up going to stubhub.....unless they play Yankee Stadium. Hoping for that announcement in early December. I will gobble up my maximum allotment that the Yankees allow me to buy because about two dozen of my friends are FF fans and my wife and I never miss a NYC show we can get tickets to.

Keep your heads up. I know it's frustrating.

Last edited by snooplives : October 28th 2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old October 28th 2014, 03:51 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Attention! Fan Club=Big Loss for Band. It's at least $1 Million Dollar loss even if they charge $55 for a membership. Pretty much if they did a LiveNation crap fan club it would have the same problems with ticket scalping. The problem is supply and demand and why couldn't Foo Fighters play Soldier Field?

Last edited by The Return of Brad Nut : October 28th 2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old October 28th 2014, 04:20 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalalt View Post
I'm also not sure if bands also have to sign an agreement saying they won't resale their performance, or offer a live stream. My guess is they do, PJ offers downloads of all their shows, but not Wrigley.
It could also be because of the massive storm in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooplives View Post
The difference is PJ and DMB in particular haven't had a great album in a long long time, and I personally rank wasting light as the bands best album.
I can't speak for DMB, but your comment about PJ is entirely subjective. Plenty of people would say that they have produced plenty of great albums.

Quote:
Let's face it. Rock and roll music is not that popular and relevant anymore. FF, as Anderson Cooper said last night are the last great american rock band and live nation is probably paying the band more money than any other rock band in the world right now.
Again, this is entirely subjective. Pearl Jam played their biggest ever UK gig this year. Metallica consistently sell out arenas and stadia around the world. As for "the last great american rock band", I very much doubt it. They just happen to be the big one at the moment. There were great bands before them and there will be after them.
Old October 28th 2014, 04:21 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of Brad Nut View Post
Attention! Fan Club=Big Loss for Band. It's at least $1 Million Dollar loss even if they charge $55 for a membership.
If fan clubs are such big losses, why do plenty of smaller bands have them? Bands that couldn't afford the kind of hit that you suggest would happen.
Old October 28th 2014, 04:30 AM
The Boss

People will complain about paying for a fan club. People will complain about not getting tickets. This I know. This I have seen all day. About everything.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old October 28th 2014, 04:45 AM
mildly annoyed and trying new things

I was VERY surprised to find out that there wasn't a distinct Fan Club for the band. I too, was shut out of the presale and discouraged when I read that local radio stations were already giving out the presale password even before I got my email. Even more discouraging, is that smaller "secret" shows are announced via facebook and twitter. I feel like these small shows should be for the privileged, like fan club members, and not for the general public....IMO.

I've been a member of several fan clubs and the price I paid for annual memberships plus the cost of 2 tickets is still marginally smaller than what I would pay face value from Ticketmaster and especially Stubhub for the same seats.
Old October 28th 2014, 05:00 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoagie02 View Post
I feel like these small shows should be for the privileged, like fan club members, and not for the general public....IMO.
Pardon, but I'm not sure you're saying what you mean to, here. With the Sonic Highways project in particular, and announcing the ticketing with quite literally no advance notice, I think it's clear that the band does, in fact, want the "general public" at these shows - whether we like it or not. Hey, I was bummed about that DC show for a solid week, myself.

My sentiment has sort of always been that a fan club is a great thing, but I don't know if it's such a great thing when it exists at the expense of new fans/local people/etc. getting tickets for shows. This is actually one of the main reasons I have yet to see Pearl Jam, for example.
Old October 28th 2014, 05:18 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoagie02 View Post
I was VERY surprised to find out that there wasn't a distinct Fan Club for the band. I too, was shut out of the presale and discouraged when I read that local radio stations were already giving out the presale password even before I got my email. Even more discouraging, is that smaller "secret" shows are announced via facebook and twitter. I feel like these small shows should be for the privileged, like fan club members, and not for the general public....IMO.

I've been a member of several fan clubs and the price I paid for annual memberships plus the cost of 2 tickets is still marginally smaller than what I would pay face value from Ticketmaster and especially Stubhub for the same seats.
Before Twitter and Facebook, the email presale password we received from the Foo email list was worth something. It's not anymore.
Old October 28th 2014, 05:41 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooplives View Post
I hear what everyone is saying on here but I'll play Devils advocate. A few points:

1. Cubs season ticket holders got first crack at the tickets. I'm sure a large chunk took advantage of the presale before the foo presale. Many of them definitely put the tix on stubhub to make up for all the losses they take on meaningless Cubs games in August and September. I'm a Yankee season ticket holder and took advantage of the presales the Yankees offered for the big four, eminem and jay z and pink Floyd and Madonna for my wife. I also took advantage of the presale for soccer, the winter classic and other events for friends. A huge chunk of tickets got sold before the Friday presale.

2. The foo fan club presale was very limited from an inventory standpoint.

3. Brokers "short sell" tickets on stubhub. That means they'll list a ticket in say the last row of section 10. They'll monitor a listing for a similar ticket listing on a similar section on a different resale website. If somebody buys their listing, they buy the tickets off the website they are monitoring. They make profit without carrying any inventory. It's big business. So before you assume all those listing are just people are turning around and flipping the tickets, keep in mind that the majority of those ticket listings are from brokers who don't even have tickets in hand. And it doesn't come without risks. Here's an interesting link about how it works:

http://ticketsellerstoolkit.com/tick...-for-disaster/

Regardless, there is no way the band can combat this method of resale.

4. Cubs own a big ticket brokerage business in Chicago. It's well known. Look it up.

5. It's easy to say to the FF to just go and form a fan club and sell tickets through that avenue. I think it's admirable that PJ and DMB do that. Maybe they do care more about their fans than Dave and company. I don't know. But I know that live nation controls every big venue and the touring industry as a whole and this is pure speculation, but maybe the FF relevance and promotional machine, because let's face it, the last two albums including sonic highways have been heavily promoted (which I love btw because I'll watch every single thing the band does) has a lot to do with them playing ball with the big promoters. The difference is PJ and DMB in particular haven't had a great album in a long long time, and I personally rank wasting light as the bands best album. And that's a big accomplishment when you compare it to tcats.

I'm pissed that I didn't get to pay face for wrigley and I'll probably end up going to stubhub.....unless they play Yankee Stadium. Hoping for that announcement in early December. I will gobble up my maximum allotment that the Yankees allow me to buy because about two dozen of my friends are FF fans and my wife and I never miss a NYC show we can get tickets to.

Keep your heads up. I know it's frustrating.
Just some counterpoints, just debating for fun, not trying to start a war or anything...

1.There was no season ticket holder special pre-sale. I know 3 season ticket holders and none of them got any codes or anything for this show. 2 of them called the Cubs to verify this before the sale.

2. The mailing list presale was open to 3 Chicago Radio Stations, Facebook, Twitter and then the fan mailing list, so the codes were everywhere and they all had the same pool of seats.
Old October 28th 2014, 05:50 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpietattoo View Post
Pardon, but I'm not sure you're saying what you mean to, here. With the Sonic Highways project in particular, and announcing the ticketing with quite literally no advance notice, I think it's clear that the band does, in fact, want the "general public" at these shows - whether we like it or not. Hey, I was bummed about that DC show for a solid week, myself.
I have to agree with that. Whilst the selfish portion of me thinks that a fan club show would be super, because it would likely increase my chances of getting tickets for those tiny shows, if the band doesn't want it that is entirely their perogative.

Quote:
My sentiment has sort of always been that a fan club is a great thing, but I don't know if it's such a great thing when it exists at the expense of new fans/local people/etc. getting tickets for shows. This is actually one of the main reasons I have yet to see Pearl Jam, for example.
My personal view would be that, if you had a paying fan club, like the Ten Club or similar, the bit about maybe an exclusive pre-sale for members wouldn't be the only/main selling point - special merch/releases etc would be as much a part of it, especially as there may be entire years where you don't get a show.

The other thing is that, even with these fan clubs, I've never found it that difficult to get tickets for shows, certainly no more than for bands I know who don't have it. Nor do I think it particularly discourages new fans.

At the end of the day, it's a choice the band makes, there's no right or wrong answer.